643 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2021 16:08

When : Sunday, 26 December 2021, 3pm
Where : Weston Homes Stadium, London Road, Peterborough, PE2 8AL
Capacity : 15,314

Positive Covid testing and government/football authority allowing, Reading will be next be appearing at Peterborough United for a game that is going to be seen as a bit of a relegation battle.

The Posh, but not Royal, are struggling to adjust to life in the second division after promotion and could be seen as being so bad they even lost to Reading in Reading. However we all know that will have no bearing on this game and given the ‘boro are only 2 points behind Reading in the table they will see it very much as a fight they can win so will no doubt tear into the Royaks from the start.

Peterborough form is bad, 1 win in 9, but that was from their last home game and against a useful Millwall so Reading need to be properly prepared and not full of Christmas pud.

Siriki Dembele and Jonson Clarke-Harris lead the goals charge for the Posh with 5 and 4 respectively so will be the main ones to watch but as ever with these games Reading will face a real fight against a team that may well view it as bit of a cup tie - but luckily Reading’s high tempo game should be too much for them :lol:

United’s Ricky Jade-Jones and Jack Marriott will miss the game through injury, meanwhile Reading’s injury status should theoretically be improved, at least a little tiny bit, but then again given this season so far who knows what to expect.

Referee

Matthew Donohue

Previously....

07 Aug 21 > Stoke City 3-2 Reading
26 Dec 20 > Reading 2-1 Luton Town
12 Feb 20 > Reading 1-2 West Bromwich Albion
11 Dec 19 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
21 Sep 19 > Reading 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

Historically

This is the 18th season shared with the team that’s posh but not royal with the first league game being a 3-2 home win for Reading back in 1961.

Reading have managed just 2 wins from the 17 previous league visits and of the other 15 league appearances at London Road 10 have been lost so visiting this part of Cambridgeshire isn’t exactly noted for being a happy place for the Biscuitmen.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

by NathStPaul » 19 Dec 2021 18:35

Prediction:

Peterborough P-P Reading

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 19 Dec 2021 19:34

NathStPaul Prediction:

Peterborough P-P Reading

But not until we are 30 mins drive from Peterborough

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Dec 2021 08:55

why have all these Matchwatches just turned in Sutekh slagging off Reading and bigging up the opposition players, no matter how rubbish they are?

'could be seen as so bad they even lost to Reading'?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 Dec 2021 18:42

Hound why have all these Matchwatches just turned in Sutekh slagging off Reading and bigging up the opposition players, no matter how rubbish they are?

Could be an insight into their general mood at the moment? Not a lot of optimism to go round, is there?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Dec 2021 19:15

Hound why have all these Matchwatches just turned in Sutekh slagging off Reading and bigging up the opposition players, no matter how rubbish they are?

I think they’re great. Gallows humour. Love his comments about our high tempo game being too much for them.
Long may this stuff continue.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Dec 2021 21:40

Zip

I think they’re great. Gallows humour. Love his comments about our high tempo game being too much for them.

Really? Each to their own I suppose, just find the ‘gallows humour’ tiresome and dull and makes me skip the rest

Guess I don’t have to read them etc etc

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Dec 2021 22:11

Hound
Zip

Really? Each to their own I suppose, just find the ‘gallows humour’ tiresome and dull and makes me skip the rest

I’m surprised at you. The Reading meme stuff including your own contributions were of a similar vein. It’s light hearted stuff and in these difficult times we need some humour.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Dec 2021 08:09

Agree with zip, though I can rarely be arsed with the wall of text and whimsy myself.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Dec 2021 08:20

Zip
Hound
Zip

I’m surprised at you. The Reading meme stuff including your own contributions were of a similar vein. It’s light hearted stuff and in these difficult times we need some humour.

Well obviously I’m being a grumpy old git but I didnt previously read a match watch thread intro for Sutekh’s moans about Reading, often which I disagree with anyway. Sure they used to be a more objective bit of info on the match and the oppo not tired jokes about how bad we are.

The meme thread IS obvs for tired jokes about how bad we are and the regular Pauno out/relegation ones are ones where I'll go if I want to read whinges about how rubbish we may or may not be. No issue at all with threads or posts with 'humour' in them, just preferred this one as an objective match warm up, and not ones that make me want to pick holes in it

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Dec 2021 08:59

Hound
Zip
Hound

Well obviously I’m being a grumpy old git but I didnt previously read a match watch thread intro for Sutekh’s moans about Reading, often which I disagree with anyway. Sure they used to be a more objective bit of info on the match and the oppo not tired jokes about how bad we are.

The meme thread IS obvs for tired jokes about how bad we are and the regular Pauno out/relegation ones are ones where I'll go if I want to read whinges about how rubbish we may or may not be. No issue at all with threads or posts with 'humour' in them, just preferred this one as an objective match warm up, and not ones that make me want to pick holes in it

Everything alright mate?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Dec 2021 09:00

NathStPaul
Hound
Zip

Everything alright mate?

bit bored tbh as you can gather

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Dec 2021 09:02

Hound
NathStPaul
Hound

Everything alright mate?

bit bored tbh as you can gather

Yeah I know the feeling. I hate that week before Christmas when work gets quiet, feels like everyone else is already off whilst I am sat here looking at a screen.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Dec 2021 12:33

NathStPaul Prediction:

Peterborough P-P Reading

YAY I got a prediction right!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Dec 2021 12:43

We regret to announce that our visit to Peterborough United on Boxing Day has been postponed, as a result of a significant number of continued COVID-19 cases in our first team and Under-23 squads.

A rearranged date will be announced in due course.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Dec 2021 12:48

Well up for a Tuesday night in Peterborough next February. Dreams are made of this.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Dec 2021 12:52

I’m guessing our game v Fulham must also be in doubt then.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Dec 2021 13:12

Zip I’m guessing our game v Fulham must also be in doubt then.

3 days later, a dead cert.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Dec 2021 13:21

Yep be very surprised if the Fulham game stays on

I’m not too disappointed from a Reading point of view -obvs be a bit bored without the games but it really should give a number of players a decent chance of getting back fit for the second half of the season.

Next game after Fulham is 3rd vs Derby - then the FA Cup game. So could be just 1 more league game before 15th Jan

May even have Joao back by then, along with Swift, Drinkwater, Ejaria, Azeez, Clarke, McIntyre and Morrison.

Could be a very different side to the WBA game. Obvs no Yiadom and Baba in January but it might only be a couple of games

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Dec 2021 13:26

windermereROYAL
Zip I’m guessing our game v Fulham must also be in doubt then.

3 days later, a dead cert.

Would rather they just called it off now, gives people time to make other plans and it is fair on both clubs. No point in having the pretence that the game will be going ahead.

643 posts