Next Reading Manager

969 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Apr 2022 16:40

Mid Sussex Royal I like what Ince has been saying this week re the scouting/injuries etc but its whether those above will listen, I fear given their track record they won't.

We need someone like him who can motivate the players and commands respect because of what he's done in the game.

I wouldn't even be against Ince going into a Sporting Director role, similar to what Bowen did before he left after returning to his post. I think that would be a sensible move as he seems to have a lot to say and could probably offer the right advice from that perspective.

We could then look to appoint a new manager in his place.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 29 Apr 2022 16:59

Warburton has surely got enough experience of the championship to prove his credentials and raise the status of the club?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2022 19:44

Zip
karbota Short and long term.

Gotta be Parky's turn teamed up with the Mad Dog Allen.

He can’t even cut it in non League with a vast budget and huge crowds at that level. Absolutely not.

LOL, bet you and Simps are feeling a bit foolish now, Parkys Wrexham won again today 2nd in the league, and now only one point behind Stockport who lost at home again.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 30 Apr 2022 19:50

Assuming the thick racist is talking about parky again?

Wouldn't want him near our club, can't even get his team with a league 1 budget to go top of the league

And he has never ever cut it at this level as a successful manager

ince in

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2022 19:53

karbota
elrey Totally thought this would be a new thread about who replaces Ince.

Favorites are Parky, Coppell, McDermott, FSB, John Terry.

Also would like to add Matt Le Tissier to that list.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Apr 2022 19:55

You'd probably know all about being added to a list.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 30 Apr 2022 21:39

I seriously don't think Ince kept us up. Barnsley, Peterborough and Derby's point reduction did that. Hope he isn't here next season.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 Apr 2022 22:31

percy_freeman I seriously don't think Ince kept us up. Barnsley, Peterborough and Derby's point reduction did that. Hope he isn't here next season.

Agree 100%.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 30 Apr 2022 22:59

It cannot and will not be Ince as a permanent appointment.

Nailed on somebody else.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 May 2022 00:00

grey_squirrel It cannot and will not be Ince as a permanent appointment.

Nailed on somebody else.

What has given you the impression any decision maker at the club would be that sensible?

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 May 2022 00:21

It will be someone on Kia's books, he runs the club.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 01 May 2022 00:23

Michael Appleton available after leaving Lincoln. Thoughts?

According to Wikipedia he once worked with Steven Reid at WBA.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 01 May 2022 05:47

Why is everything on here always about rash and irrational decisions..why can't we just have ince

elrey

by elrey » 01 May 2022 06:25

Loafer Why is everything on here always about rash and irrational decisions..why can't we just have ince

I criticized the appointment of Pauno because his record wasn't good.

Pauno had a 32.21% win rate with one good season out of four. He got lucky one season, the rest of the time he couldn't hold it up.

Ince hasn't made it past 56 games for any club he's managed. Pauno's managed 83 games for Reading and has a higher win percentage than Ince does at Reading.

At Blackpool he was awful, first season was okay. Three losses and four wins and 7 draws from Feb 18th to the end of the season.

Ince came in at Reading on the 19th February, 6 losses, 5 wins and three draws.

Beginning of the next season was quite good, at Blackpool, five out of six wins and a draw. Then three wins in 11 games, and then it just went downhill from there.

He's change and he's not an awful, awful manager, but he's a guy who is able to put change in, gets some results and then gets found out.

Similar at Notts County, took a while, got some results then crawled back under the stone, with 7 loses in his last 8 games.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 01 May 2022 06:27

elrey
Loafer Why is everything on here always about rash and irrational decisions..why can't we just have ince

Pauno had a 32.21% win rate with one good season out of four. He got lucky one season, the rest of the time he couldn't hold it up.

Ince hasn't made it past 56 games for any club he's managed. Pauno's managed 83 games for Reading and has a higher win percentage than Ince does at Reading.

At Blackpool he was awful, first season was okay. Three losses and four wins and 7 draws from Feb 18th to the end of the season.

Beginning of the next season was quite good, at Blackpool, five out of six wins and a draw. Then three wins in 11 games, and then it just went downhill from there.

He's change and he's not an awful, awful manager, but he's a guy who is able to put change in, gets some results and then gets found out.

Similar at Notts County, took a while, got some results then crawled back under the stone, with 7 loses in his last 8 games.

Okay so let's give him a chance next season surely?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2022 08:35

Think the first thing that needs to be looked at is a DoF position, somebody the fans can relate to and who is solely responsible for the football operations that club. It would be that person who would manage the football budgets and therefore have the final say on how much any player may earn/be offered. They would also have responsibility for hiring/firing a manager. Lastly they’d also have a PR role for the club and be the primary “go to” for the media/STAR for updates on the direction of the club etc. and that person mustn’t be afraid to stand up for themselves and the playing side of the club.

Then there’s the scouting infrastructure, I presume the club has a head scout but how good is their scouting network and contacts?

Finally there’s the manager. Your guess is as good as mine on this. I don’t think PI is the answer esp. after the pathetic mess of yesterday but I think he’s better than VP as at least the players have shown some fight at times under him if nothing else.

The club has a VERY difficult season to get through next time around so perhaps now is a good time to look for someone younger in the mould of an Alan Pardew or Mark McGhee who has a backbone, an identity and is determined to achieve.

However there’s apparently a meeting due this week between owner and manager so I would say it is Mr Ince next year but at least that’s a good thing as club, fans and players will at least know where they stand, plans for the squad next year can be made now and half the close season won’t be wasted on looking for another manager.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 May 2022 10:33

Sutekh Think the first thing that needs to be looked at is a DoF position, somebody the fans can relate to and who is solely responsible for the football operations that club. It would be that person who would manage the football budgets and therefore have the final say on how much any player may earn/be offered. They would also have responsibility for hiring/firing a manager. Lastly they’d also have a PR role for the club and be the primary “go to” for the media/STAR for updates on the direction of the club etc. and that person mustn’t be afraid to stand up for themselves and the playing side of the club.

Then there’s the scouting infrastructure, I presume the club has a head scout but how good is their scouting network and contacts?

Finally there’s the manager. Your guess is as good as mine on this. I don’t think PI is the answer esp. after the pathetic mess of yesterday but I think he’s better than VP as at least the players have shown some fight at times under him if nothing else.

The club has a VERY difficult season to get through next time around so perhaps now is a good time to look for someone younger in the mould of an Alan Pardew or Mark McGhee who has a backbone, an identity and is determined to achieve.

However there’s apparently a meeting due this week between owner and manager so I would say it is Mr Ince next year but at least that’s a good thing as club, fans and players will at least know where they stand, plans for the squad next year can be made now and half the close season won’t be wasted on looking for another manager.

We don't have any scouts at the club

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2022 11:30

Loafer
elrey

Why on earth would we do that? The new manager bounce and the fighting character effect have already worn off and the slide has begun. His post match comments yesterday were deluded 'good performance and created some great opportunities' and were an insult to those fans who had to sit through it.

We were achieving absolutely nothing yet he waited until the last few minutes before introducing the passion and commitment of Meite. And where the hell was Halilovic? Barker is absolutely dreadful and the waste of a space on the bench, let alone on the pitch.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 01 May 2022 13:14

Definitely not a time for sentimentality or hopeful decision making! This needs to be a cold blooded and cold hearted decision in the "moneyball" style. Thank you PI, but your work is done. We know what we need and it won't/can't be pretty, anything, other than a hard arsed task master, with a proven pedigree, will be a coin toss IMHO!
Last edited by Eaststandman on 01 May 2022 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 01 May 2022 13:16

RoyalBlue
Loafer
elrey

Why on earth would we do that? The new manager bounce and the fighting character effect have already worn off and the slide has begun. His post match comments yesterday were deluded 'good performance and created some great opportunities' and were an insult to those fans who had to sit through it.

We were achieving absolutely nothing yet he waited until the last few minutes before introducing the passion and commitment of Meite. And where the hell was Halilovic? Barker is absolutely dreadful and the waste of a space on the bench, let alone on the pitch.

Finished wetting the bed yet?

969 posts