Next Reading Manager

969 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Reading Manager

by royalp-we » 06 Feb 2022 22:19

Personally, I couldn’t give a damn about those away days and playing Arsenal U21’s in the Johnstone Paint Trophy in front of sub-5000 crowds. Discuss it on the other threads; regardless of what division we are in we will be appointing a new management team.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Feb 2022 22:52

royalp-we Yes I know, it’s never right to speculate prior to anyone getting the tin-tack - but we are absolutely gash after all.

Arguably if Paunovic is sacked before the end of the season we need a short term fix and someone to stick a rocket up the players and get us to May above the dotted line.

I suggested on Twitter that someone like Martin O’Neill (wants a last gig, local and one of the most knowledgeable blokes in football) or Warnock would certainly get some sort of response out of the players. Even just to get us to the end of the season.

Long term I’d like to see someone like Alex Neil given the opportunity - seems to get a squad assembled and firing on limited budget, which is a model this club will need to follow once we are clear of the current restrictions.

Suggestions both short term and longer term below

Pauno won’t leave until the summer

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Feb 2022 22:53

NathStPaul Oh good, another manager thread. Just what we needed.

Yup, when we know Pauno won’t leave until the summer

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Feb 2022 22:54

Once upon a time . What I don’t understand is if it’s so good in div 1 , why did we try so hard to get out of it ? .

Because that’s how football works

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 07 Feb 2022 07:43

Really ! So it’s not about having pride in your team. , and watching quality football !
I believe the players we have are capable of playing far better and can keep us in the Championship , the problem is mis- management .

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 07 Feb 2022 11:39

Once upon a time . Really ! So it’s not about having pride in your team. , and watching quality football !
I believe the players we have are capable of playing far better and can keep us in the Championship , the problem is mis- management .

I agree

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2022 11:46

Once upon a time . What I don’t understand is if it’s so good in div 1 , why did we try so hard to get out of it ? Also why suddenly will we start to make these good decisions and recruit the right players ( on low wages ) , when we haven’t done it for years !
Of course we will be worse off , and watching worse teams than being in the Championship .

The team I go to watch is Reading. Seeing Reading beat Cambridge >>>>> seeing Reading get stuffed by QPR

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 08 Feb 2022 18:13

Zip
karbota Short and long term.

Gotta be Parky's turn teamed up with the Mad Dog Allen.

He can’t even cut it in non League with a vast budget and huge crowds at that level. Absolutely not.

Wrong fake news Wrexham are nicely placed in the PO zone and are absolutely within reach of an auto slot.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Feb 2022 18:38

karbota
Zip

He can’t even cut it in non League with a vast budget and huge crowds at that level. Absolutely not.

Wrong fake news Wrexham are nicely placed in the PO zone and are absolutely within reach of an auto slot.

Or put it another way only just in the play offs and they won’t be if Notts County win their games in hand. So no improvement on last season despite all the money and huge support home and away.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Feb 2022 19:07

karbota
Zip

They should be walking the league with gates of 8k and the money spent. Parky is at his level or league 2 at best where he did ok at Bradford.

Parky the player is different to Parky the manager.

Wrexham fans don't rate him either...check their twitter feed

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Feb 2022 21:44

If you want a club legend in charge of the club the one you'd probably want at this point would be Murty who may be worth a punt, one that the fans could certainly get behind. I wouldn't actually be against Parkinson totally, he's had experience at L1 level and it may be a case of right fit at Reading, but I can understand given his recent struggles and where he is now why most would want to avoid.

Alex Neil would be the obvious choice, although I could see the board pulling someone in from abroad.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Feb 2022 21:48

YorkshireRoyal99
Alex Neil would be the obvious choice, although I could see Kia pulling someone in from abroad.

There, sorted for you.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Feb 2022 21:52

windermereROYAL
YorkshireRoyal99
Alex Neil would be the obvious choice, although I could see Kia pulling someone in from abroad.

There, sorted for you.

In all fairness, the overseas appointments haven't really been the worst decisions made.

Gomes came in and kept us up comfortably when we were in a position of real danger. At one stage we were 5 points adrift of safety and we ended up 7 clear. Some good recruitment (shockingly) and good home form saw us through easily. A 12 point swing at the bottom of the league with half a season to go is a pretty good improvement.

Pauno has also given us our best season since Stam and was probably working under certain restrictions and limitations that we weren't fully aware of (given our lack of transfer activity in the summer and Jan last season) and genuinely got us playing some really good stuff, made it a great place to play football and it brought about some genuine memorable moments.

Unfortunately, as tends to be the case with a lot of foreign managers, it seems as if they performed on borrowed time or other circumstances, either down to them or maybe not so much down to them, end up being their demise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2022 08:21

YorkshireRoyal99
windermereROYAL
YorkshireRoyal99

There, sorted for you.

In all fairness, the overseas appointments haven't really been the worst decisions made.

:| :| :| :| :| :| :|

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Feb 2022 08:22

royalp-we Personally, I couldn’t give a damn about those away days and playing Arsenal U21’s in the Johnstone Paint Trophy in front of sub-5000 crowds. Discuss it on the other threads; regardless of what division we are in we will be appointing a new management team.

People will discuss things wherever they want to.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 09 Feb 2022 10:01

In the event of needing a new Manager, may I suggest someone from left field...........

John Terry.

It seems to me that he has been overlooked for some decent opportunities, and I suspect that he will be extremely motivated to do well when he does get a managers job.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Feb 2022 10:13

Mr Angry In the event of needing a new Manager, may I suggest someone from left field...........

John Terry.

It seems to me that he has been overlooked for some decent opportunities, and I suspect that he will be extremely motivated to do well when he does get a managers job.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Feb 2022 10:24

I'd be in favour of Terry personally. A young manager to come through and looking to ply his trade in management and you'd feel a club like ours would be a good place to start. Challenging times right now but it's something that would certainly support him in his managerial career.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Feb 2022 10:30

Realistically John Terry is the sort of manager we will be looking at I'd reckon. He is a coach looking to prove himself and evidently he is hardly in high demand so would probably welcome an approach from us. The club have also set such a low bar in terms of managers in recent times he couldn't really do much worse, he wouldn't have a lot of pressure on him initially.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Feb 2022 10:30

I don't want that thick racist anywhere near my club thank you.

969 posts