If you could go back in time...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: If you could go back in time...

by Dirk Gently » 07 Feb 2022 14:53

I'd tell Steve Coppell to put 5 in midfield against Fulham in April 2008 to shut the game down and ensure we got a draw.

(To be fair to him, Wally Downes did tell him exactly that, but he refused to change from 4-4-2)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 07 Feb 2022 15:01

I am with the posters wanting to speak to Lovell before he took that penalty.
"Archie, their keeper hasn't seen any videos of your previous penalties, just do the usual".

For those few that may not know, he changed his mind about where to place the shot as he assumed that Bolton's keeper would have seen earlier videos of his penalties-he hadn't.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Feb 2022 15:16

I would have gone to the game where Robin Friday scored that goal against Tranmere Rovers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2022 15:21

Probably just gone back to persuade the club not to hire Ron Gourlay.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 07 Feb 2022 15:26

Any change would have to be after Leicester away 2006 as anything before that could jeopardise the absolute RFC highlight of the last 30 yrs.

I'll go for someone telling Stam not to list Moore and Obita as pen takers.
Last edited by Horsham Royal on 07 Feb 2022 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2022 15:30

blythspartan I would have gone to the game where Robin Friday scored that goal against Tranmere Rovers.

Imagine going back seeing the goal and it's actually not as good as anyone who claims to have been there makes out. :lol:

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Feb 2022 15:52

tidus_mi2
blythspartan I would have :D gone to the game where Robin Friday scored that goal against Tranmere Rovers.

Imagine going back seeing the goal and it's actually not as good as anyone who claims to have been there makes out. :lol:

Over 100,000 Reading fans who witnessed that goal can’t be wrong :D

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Feb 2022 16:00

Steve_Upper_West
Hendo "Maybe you should sign someone to replace Sidwell"

....or somehow find the money to meet his demands ?
We actually offered him more than Chelsea were offering but without the chance of a Premier League winners medal.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Feb 2022 16:00

tidus_mi2
blythspartan I would have gone to the game where Robin Friday scored that goal against Tranmere Rovers.

or you go back, sneeze at the wrong moment and put him off causing him to send wide.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Feb 2022 16:02

blythspartan
tidus_mi2
blythspartan I would have :D gone to the game where Robin Friday scored that goal against Tranmere Rovers.

Over 100,000 Reading fans who witnessed that goal can’t be wrong :D
Surely the 100,000 fans present is evidence enough that time travel will be at thing in years to come.... or maybe it was but some idiot travelled back in time and accidentally killed an ancestor of the person who invents it

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Feb 2022 16:04

You'd not have got in - ask around and you'll find at least 38,000 people who were there that day...

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Feb 2022 16:06

Changing the past is too messy, I'd go into the future and bring back knowledge of what happens next and if I don't like it, try to get that changed then whiz forward in time and see if it worked out of if I need to tinker with things again.

I would also obviously come back with all the winning lottery numbers, football results, horse racing results and investment tips to make sure I can be in a position to buy out the current owners and turn things around myself.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2022 16:10

Forbury Lion Changing the past is too messy, I'd go into the future and bring back knowledge of what happens next and if I don't like it, try to get that changed then whiz forward in time and see if it worked out of if I need to tinker with things again.

I would also obviously come back with all the winning lottery numbers, football results, horse racing results and investment tips to make sure I can be in a position to buy out the current owners and turn things around myself.

Slight derailment but as a manga reader/anime watcher I just found it slightly funny that you basically described the key plot point of the Attack on Titan finale.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Feb 2022 16:15

tidus_mi2
Forbury Lion Changing the past is too messy, I'd go into the future and bring back knowledge of what happens next and if I don't like it, try to get that changed then whiz forward in time and see if it worked out of if I need to tinker with things again.

Slight derailment but as a manga reader/anime watcher I just found it slightly funny that you basically described the key plot point of the Attack on Titan finale.
Gee thanks for the spoiler! (Not that I'm ever likely to read/watch it)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2022 16:24

Forbury Lion
tidus_mi2

Gee thanks for the spoiler! (Not that I'm ever likely to read/watch it)

You're welcome, it really doesn't make much sense anyway until you get the context anyway.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2022 17:03

Stranded Probably just gone back to persuade the club not to hire Ron Gourlay.

Tell Madejski to get his money out of print and property and bet on the 2008 financial collapse so he never has to sell us.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 07 Feb 2022 21:08

Go back to Wembley in 1995 and say to the ref "...yes, you could let him off a second yellow for that deliberate foul, but what Reading miss and he ends up setting up Bolton's equaliser?"

Or just say to Archie "don't worry, he didn't see your penalty v Swindon, so put it to your usual side"

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 07 Feb 2022 21:19

I would go back to when Ron Gourlay signed and kick him in the nuts every time he offered a stupidly long contract on stupidly high wages to players who don’t care. I did think of assassination but i felt this would give me more satisfaction.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Feb 2022 21:49

Many have said the Brian v1 sacking was the start of the death of the club. I remember being in favour of his sacking at the time…how wrong was I. We would’ve gone down, but we’d have kept the fight in this club. And we would’ve remained competitive in the Champ for years to come. As much as I liked Nige, he was on a hiding to nothing and the club had begun its slide.

But I’m retrospect, I’d have changed it so we didn’t go up in 2011/12, but strengthened so we were fully ready the following season. We needed more quality.

The next milestone in the death of the club was Jaap Stam, who did a good job at destroying the fanbase with some idiotic comments. My old man has never quite following RFC in the same way since. That whole episode where Dai kept him in for far too long was quite detrimental.

Another milestone was the appointment of Gourlay. Another was the mindless sacking of Bowen.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Feb 2022 22:27

tmesis Go back to Wembley in 1995 and say to the ref "...yes, you could let him off a second yellow for that deliberate foul, but what Reading miss and he ends up setting up Bolton's equaliser?"

Or just say to Archie "don't worry, he didn't see your penalty v Swindon, so put it to your usual side"

McAteer should have walked when he brought Gilkes down. It would have been game over.