If you could go back in time...

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

If you could go back in time...

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2022 10:40

If you could go back in time and try and alter one point in Reading's history what would it be?

Largely the current situation the club finds it in did get me thinking, if you could go back in time and speak to anyone, you don't have to convince them you're coming from the future or anything, they'll listen to what you have to say, what would it be?

Would you tell Mick Gooding and Jimmy Quinn at 2-0 up that we'll get a penalty and Lovell will miss it?
Would you tell Adam Federici to remain focussed before Extra Time or he'll let a Sanchez shot roll through his legs?
Would you tell John Madejski that Anton Zingarevich doesn't really have his own money and will set us down a bad path?
Would you tell the Chinese owners that their gamble will fail and lead to our current situation?

For me, I'd go back to the 2nd Premier League season and warn Steve Coppell in as much detail as I can about relegation as I think a bit of proper investment we definitely would have stayed up and who knows what would have happened next really?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: If you could go back in time...

by Hendo » 07 Feb 2022 10:41

"Maybe you should sign someone to replace Sidwell"

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2022 10:50

I'd have told Liam Moore to keep his penalty down and make sure he hits the target at least.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Feb 2022 10:53

Change the team I support.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2022 10:54

NathStPaul Change the team I support.

Best answer.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Feb 2022 10:58

I'd burst into that meeting in 1871 and tell them not to bother.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Feb 2022 11:00

tidus_mi2
NathStPaul Change the team I support.

Best answer.

I am being slightly sarcastic of course but I think it is harder for supporters who are 30+ because we remember when football used to be fun. Yes we were crap but I always remember it being good fun and unpredictable. These days we just feel like a club without soul or any form of buzz around it on any level from the playing side of it to the catering.

I can name at least 10 people who are just never going to go back who used to be season ticket holders because they have just had enough of modern Reading FC, it just isn't worth the investment anymore. I'm sure all of us who have friends who support Reading can say similar things. It's quite sad when it comes to that.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Feb 2022 11:01

Pepe the Horseman I'd burst into that meeting in 1871 and tell them not to bother.

With a gun?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Feb 2022 11:02

NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman I'd burst into that meeting in 1871 and tell them not to bother.

With a gun?

Yeh. Maybe shoot one of them so they take it seriously.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2022 12:48

For football, has to be close season of 2006/7 and helping Coppell prevent the collapse of the next season.

Avoiding Fae and Rosenior, replacing Sidwell, Little, Convey, Seol, Murty and Sonko well.

On the other hand. Nothing could ever be better than going back to a point where you could bring a treatment to cure Eamonn Dolan.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2022 12:53

Snowflake Royal For football, has to be close season of 2006/7 and helping Coppell prevent the collapse of the next season.

Avoiding Fae and Rosenior, replacing Sidwell, Little, Convey, Seol, Murty and Sonko well.

On the other hand. Nothing could ever be better than going back to a point where you could bring a treatment to cure Eamonn Dolan.

Good shout on Eamonn Dolan, not sure what you can do to treat his cancer, maybe if it is diagnosed earlier he would be in a better position to survive it or at least extend his life.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 07 Feb 2022 13:24

tidus_mi2 If you could go back in time and try and alter one point in Reading's history what would it be?

Largely the current situation the club finds it in did get me thinking, if you could go back in time and speak to anyone, you don't have to convince them you're coming from the future or anything, they'll listen to what you have to say, what would it be?

Would you tell Mick Gooding and Jimmy Quinn at 2-0 up that we'll get a penalty and Lovell will miss it?
Would you tell Adam Federici to remain focussed before Extra Time or he'll let a Sanchez shot roll through his legs?
Would you tell John Madejski that Anton Zingarevich doesn't really have his own money and will set us down a bad path?
Would you tell the Chinese owners that their gamble will fail and lead to our current situation?

For me, I'd go back to the 2nd Premier League season and warn Steve Coppell in as much detail as I can about relegation as I think a bit of proper investment we definitely would have stayed up and who knows what would have happened next really?

Agree with this last sentence..... and would add that if had actually contested the FA cup tie away to Cardiff that season, rather than let the first team swan off to the Middle East... that firstly, we may well have continued the good run we were on at that time and secondly, I would not have wasted my time travelling from Brighton to South Wales !

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 07 Feb 2022 13:25

Hendo "Maybe you should sign someone to replace Sidwell"

....or somehow find the money to meet his demands ?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Feb 2022 13:50

Telling Dean Horrix not to come back and visit his family in Tadley on that fateful day where his wife who was driving veered the car into the tree on the A340.

Although he had left Reading at this time, this particularly upset me as i would often chat and say hello to him along with Trevor Senior who lived in the village. Reading legend.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Feb 2022 13:54

As if they know this and tryy their damnest! No-one worth having wanted to come to unfashionable little Reading.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Feb 2022 13:55

Also, if you told them this I wonder if they'd just think "Well damn, now we definitely have to sign Emerse Fae."

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Feb 2022 13:56

paultheroyal Telling Dean Horrix not to come back and visit his family in Tadley on that fateful day where his wife who was driving veered the car into the tree on the A340.

Although he had left Reading at this time, this particularly upset me as i would often chat and say hello to him along with Trevor Senior who lived in the village. Reading legend.

Good one. Very skilful player. Deano Deano Deano

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Feb 2022 13:56

I'd probably go back to 1889 and convince the board to kill baby Hitler

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Feb 2022 13:58

Getting Lee Nogan to take the pen v Bolton instead of Archie. He was so full of confidence having scored a cracking goal that day already.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Feb 2022 14:06

I'd have spent my efforts with the council from the say the 80s onwards, trying to purchase (and later, compulsory purchase) housing around Elm Park to enable its expansion will also trying to poo poo the move out to Smallmead.