Brian 3.0

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Brian 3.0

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2022 11:07

No thanks. Love Brian but football has moved on whilst he hasn't been managing.

DoF yes, manager no.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Feb 2022 11:32

URZZZZ
andrew1957
Rax Ok - I'll put my cards on the table - I want Brian McDermott back to manage our failing club.

He's the second most successful manager in our history, has already offered to "help out" despite shabby treatment on two previous occasions.

Would bring the feel good factor back, also he can't lose - we can't get any worse as a team!

Would cost little money and I'm sure Wally is available too as a no 2.

Get the dream team in :D

Personally would love him back. I thought both sackings were very unfair. In 2012 he achieved a miracle getting us promoted with a rag tag squad and we only added a few more players that summer and so we had virtually zero chance of surviving in the PL in 2012/2013.

And in 2015/2016 he took us to safety and I do wonder how things would have turned out if he had been able to rebuild that summer. Instead we sacked Brian and brought in Stam - who played the worst most boring football I can ever remember under any manager at RFC. Yes it was nearly successful if we had won the play off but was truly awful to watch. And ever since the play off failure in 2017 the club has just gone ever further downhill.

Bring Brian back.

Took us to safety in 2015/16? We weren’t too far off the playoffs when he joined. We ended no where near. Definitely would have persevered that summer rather than sack him but he didn’t do a good job in his second stint. He struggled with a fairly talented set of players

But players who had nothing to play for that season as we were unlikely to get relegated - but too far away to get into the top 6. Felt he was let down by the players in that second stint. Actually 2015/16 was rather similar to this one - although we look in more danger this time.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Feb 2022 11:41

I like Brian too much to want him to come back and get messed around by the club again and potentially burn his bridges with his current employer, Fair enough if it's best for him though, he will need support - he can't do it all on his own and we have to assume the current coaching staff are part of the problem until proven otherwise.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Feb 2022 11:43

Forbury Lion I like Brian too much to want him to come back and get messed around by the club again and potentially burn his bridges with his current employer, Fair enough if it's best for him though, he will need support - he can't do it all on his own and we have to assume the current coaching staff are part of the problem until proven otherwise.

Mcdermott, Mcanuff, Karacan - job interview process starts now - keep us up - you get the job.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 14 Feb 2022 11:45

Schards#2 Appointing Warnock would be the final straw for me, I have been a fan for over 50 years but could not support a team with him as manager. He is the antithesis of everything Reading once stood for.

Reckon i'm with Schards on this one

Though my desperation for Reading to stay up right now might counter that feeling if it does happen

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Feb 2022 11:51

Stranded No thanks. Love Brian but football has moved on whilst he hasn't been managing.

DoF yes, manager no.
If the choice was Brian or Pauno though, I think Brian would be a better bet.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Feb 2022 12:02

URZZZZ
andrew1957
Rax Ok - I'll put my cards on the table - I want Brian McDermott back to manage our failing club.

He's the second most successful manager in our history, has already offered to "help out" despite shabby treatment on two previous occasions.

Would bring the feel good factor back, also he can't lose - we can't get any worse as a team!

Personally would love him back. I thought both sackings were very unfair. In 2012 he achieved a miracle getting us promoted with a rag tag squad and we only added a few more players that summer and so we had virtually zero chance of surviving in the PL in 2012/2013.

And in 2015/2016 he took us to safety and I do wonder how things would have turned out if he had been able to rebuild that summer. Instead we sacked Brian and brought in Stam - who played the worst most boring football I can ever remember under any manager at RFC. Yes it was nearly successful if we had won the play off but was truly awful to watch. And ever since the play off failure in 2017 the club has just gone ever further downhill.

Bring Brian back.

Took us to safety in 2015/16? We weren’t too far off the playoffs when he joined. We ended no where near. Definitely would have persevered that summer rather than sack him but he didn’t do a good job in his second stint. He struggled with a fairly talented set of players

My take on that period is that Brian decided to basically write off the season early on as the team was full of loan players who we definitely wouldn't be able to keep. He was more concerned with preparing the squad for a summer rebuild and coming out fighting the following season. The sad thing is that had we finished 7th rather than 17th he'd have probably stayed, but it would have made zero difference to us.

I don't think it was a complete coincidence that we then went on in the follow season to do so well under Stam.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Feb 2022 12:03

Elm Park Kid
URZZZZ
andrew1957

Bring Brian back.

My take on that period is that Brian decided to basically write off the season early on as the team was full of loan players who we definitely wouldn't be able to keep. He was more concerned with preparing the squad for a summer rebuild and coming out fighting the following season. The sad thing is that had we finished 7th rather than 17th he'd have probably stayed, but it would have made zero difference to us.

I don't think it was a complete coincidence that we then went on in the follow season to do so well under Stam.

Oh I don’t disagree. Definitely would have kept him and we’d be in a much better position now if we’d kept him. Was just surprised of the choice of words “he took us to safety”

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Feb 2022 12:04

Brian till the end of the season would be a no brainer imo. If we went down, it wouldn't be on him. If we stayed up he'd be a hero again. Then walk away in the summer with his head held high.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Feb 2022 12:07

URZZZZ
Elm Park Kid
URZZZZ

Oh I don’t disagree. Definitely would have kept him and we’d be in a much better position now if we’d kept him. Was just surprised of the choice of words “he took us to safety”

Fair enough.

The contrast with the current situation is just depressing. We dumped a manager with a proven track-record and deep roots in the club for having a crap end to a meaningless season. Whereas we now made every effort possible to keep an untested manager who is very close to getting us relegated.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Feb 2022 12:08

Pepe the Horseman Brian till the end of the season would be a no brainer imo. If we went down, it wouldn't be on him. If we stayed up he'd be a hero again. Then walk away in the summer with his head held high.

Knowing that club - we'd go on end of season winning streak under him, with everyone playing out of their skin. Only for him to then get let go so we can hire some new random from the South African 2nd division.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 14 Feb 2022 12:10

Wouldn't wish it on Brian.

As for Warnock - i'm sure* he doesn't really hate us....but IF he did - imagine the LOLZ if he took us down and then turned round and claimed it as his crowning moment in football before retirement.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Feb 2022 12:18

URZZZZ
andrew1957

Bring Brian back.

We were 13th when he took over but had just lost 4 in a row and were on a downward spiral. The season was all but over from a play off perspective and so whether we finished 10th or 17th made little difference. In my view he was preparing for 2016/17 (as has been said) and Stam initially benefitted from Brian's work.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Feb 2022 12:34

Many of the key players in McDermott's successful teams are those that he's known for years and had frequently nurtured through the academy. That 2011/12 Championship winning team did so on unity and togetherness - which is what McD's good at.

he's a great youth development man, but I see no evidence that he's a good manager when it comes to managing a team of players who are at a club when he gets there, which is what he'd find here..

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Feb 2022 12:35

No chance it'll be Brian.

It'll be one of Kia's mates so he can mug the club off for even more money.

Let's hope the new manager is bald!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2022 12:38

John Madejski's Wallet
Schards#2 Appointing Warnock would be the final straw for me, I have been a fan for over 50 years but could not support a team with him as manager. He is the antithesis of everything Reading once stood for.

Reckon i'm with Schards on this one

Though my desperation for Reading to stay up right now might counter that feeling if it does happen

Reading are the antithesis of everything they once stood for already and it's Schards' desired 'sea-change' that took us there.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2022 12:40

Dirk Gently Many of the key players in McDermott's successful teams are those that he's known for years and had frequently nurtured through the academy. That 2011/12 Championship winning team did so on unity and togetherness - which is what McD's good at.

he's a great youth development man, but I see no evidence that he's a good manager when it comes to managing a team of players who are at a club when he gets there, which is what he'd find here..

His managerial record has only really been good with us. Though at Leeds, who were a basket case club then, he still managed a win percentage of 37% - if he managed that here, that's 6 wins. Nearest comparison we have really.

Still think his time has past but if the choice is him or some guy we've never heard of, who did well in a smaller league for a while, then I'd take Brian.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2022 12:50

Stranded
Dirk Gently Many of the key players in McDermott's successful teams are those that he's known for years and had frequently nurtured through the academy. That 2011/12 Championship winning team did so on unity and togetherness - which is what McD's good at.

His managerial record has only really been good with us. Though at Leeds, who were a basket case club then, he still managed a win percentage of 37% - if he managed that here, that's 6 wins. Nearest comparison we have really.

Still think his time has past but if the choice is him or some guy we've never heard of, who did well in a smaller league for a while, then I'd take Brian.

Yeah, he did fine, if not great at Leeds. And he hardly knew all of them going in.

Not my first choice, but short term he'd be ok.

If, for example, I was given the job (as stupid as that would be). I'd be straight on the phone to him and Coppell and Gooding to ask if they could spare some time to talk to the players and maybe run a short training session in the case of the former two.

Try to drum up some passion and belief.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Feb 2022 12:53

BMac as a DOF absolutely. As replacement no.
Football has changed tactically over the last few years, higher pressing etc....We need someone who has been in touch with the championship in modern times.
I don't want Murty or Parkinson as some have suggested. It has to be someone from this level.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Feb 2022 15:26

BM until End of Season,

Bring back some much needed spirit, fight and get the fans back on side. Then in the summer look to pluck someone in from the Saudi Premier league and do it all again