Where do we go now?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Where do we go now?

by NathStPaul » 16 Feb 2022 23:22

Millsy
NathStPaul
Millsy I'm actually a bit lost atm, don't know what to think. A vociferous supporter of ACTION ASAP, protests and the pitch invasion, I now don't even know what to think after witnessing the shocking abuse of Drinkwater (whom I've knocked since his second game, so I'm no fan!). I suddenly feel so distant to some of the protesters who up until that point I was 100% behind.

This is what happens when the majority sit there in silent apathy - those who protest have to be more toxic to compensate.

WTF is happening to our club.

Dai just let Pauno and his clowns go, pay them off and put anyone else in charge PLEASE before the club turns on itself and alienates the players. If I was a Reading player now I wouldn't give two hoots about the fans. The only positive I can see is them being so fed up with Pauno they protest openly, calling for change.

Troubling times.

He's not our player, he gets over 100k a week, he doesn't care what our supporters say to him. Get off your high horse.

We see eye to eye on most of this mate, I'm on no high horse. But on this I respectfully and passionately disagree.

No player deserves that sort of abuse unless they've been abusive towards fans or something. They're f*cking human beings.

They are words from an angry set of supporters who aren't being listened to. They are not able to take their anger out on the manager (who drove off in his own car) so the only alternative was the players. If you're genuinely upset by what was said then fair enough but I'd like to think the player would have thick enough skin to handle it.

The supporters are let down by the players, the players are let down by the manager, the manager is let down by the CEO, the CEO is let down by the owner. We have a viscous circle of shite at the moment and everyone is suffering. It is all coming to a head now.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Feb 2022 23:25

ILoveMoonPig Seriously, we need to chill. We need to stop taking it out on the players and actually offer them support. How much better did they play on Saturday with meite getting the crowd going?

Clearly there's some big interpersonal issues happening at the club, mystery injuries, ongoing sicknesses, whatever happened with Liam Moore etc. Seriously, the players need to get together with the management staff, clear the air and get back together as a group.

Hell, why not send them on a team building weekend to some country retreat in Wales if it would help.

There is zero chance that we can move forward positively until Pauno is gone. Zero.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 16 Feb 2022 23:25

We need to face facts, we are going down and will be playing League 1 next season. What we do now will decide if we play in League 1 with the same issues we have now or if we actually can start building a brighter future.

Once Pauno is gone the next target should be Kia Joorabchian. How any manager can build a decent side when this guy is giving the yes or no on any signing we make. The club is a complete shambles both on and off it.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 16 Feb 2022 23:26

Not sure why Millsy is so hung up on Drinkwater being called a pcunt when 19 year old Hein had the same thing from a few protesters.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2022 23:27

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy I'm actually a bit lost atm, don't know what to think. A vociferous supporter of ACTION ASAP, protests and the pitch invasion, I now don't even know what to think after witnessing the shocking abuse of Drinkwater (whom I've knocked since his second game, so I'm no fan!). I suddenly feel so distant to some of the protesters who up until that point I was 100% behind.

This is what happens when the majority sit there in silent apathy - those who protest have to be more toxic to compensate.

WTF is happening to our club.

Dai just let Pauno and his clowns go, pay them off and put anyone else in charge PLEASE before the club turns on itself and alienates the players. If I was a Reading player now I wouldn't give two hoots about the fans. The only positive I can see is them being so fed up with Pauno they protest openly, calling for change.

Troubling times.

Angry people acting angry shocker. What do you expect from a protest? A polite exchange of grievances over tea and biscuits?

Yeah, it's not what you want to see, but it's entirely predictable, so no idea why you find it so shocking.

Have you ever even been in a protest? Ever been one of the first spearheading a pitch invasion? Ever lead 1000s on the Southbank to chant?

Don't tell me what protests are about.

:lol:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Feb 2022 23:28

NathStPaul
Millsy
NathStPaul He's not our player, he gets over 100k a week, he doesn't care what our supporters say to him. Get off your high horse.

We see eye to eye on most of this mate, I'm on no high horse. But on this I respectfully and passionately disagree.

No player deserves that sort of abuse unless they've been abusive towards fans or something. They're f*cking human beings.

They are words from an angry set of supporters who aren't being listened to. They are not able to take their anger out on the manager (who drove off in his own car) so the only alternative was the players. If you're genuinely upset by what was said then fair enough but I'd like to think the player would have thick enough skin to handle it.

The supporters are let down by the players, the players are let down by the manager, the manager is let down by the CEO, the CEO is let down by the owner. We have a viscous circle of shite at the moment and everyone is suffering. It is all coming to a head now.

Agree with every word, 100% spot on buddy.

I want to believe you and hope poor Danny and any other player made to feel shit can see past it and realise it's not personal, just wrong place at the wrong time and frustration boiling over and misplaced. Better still, I hope they can channel any upset caused against Pauno/Dai to effect change asap.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Feb 2022 23:38

Orion1871 Not sure why Millsy is so hung up on Drinkwater being called a pcunt when 19 year old Hein had the same thing from a few protesters.

Didn't know that. I stand with him too. Thanks for pointing it out.

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 16 Feb 2022 23:46

Forgot to mention in my initial post when listing issues at the club - understand from a friend that the club are to issue an apology on behalf of Yakou Meite following some threatening/homophobic tweets that came to light over the past few weeks.

Not entirely sure how/if this will impact his status in the squad.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Feb 2022 23:51

Fezza

by Fezza » 16 Feb 2022 23:52

JR On Saturday we saw a pre-game peaceful protest that attracted positive media attention.

Then we saw a bunch of thugs running on the pitch at the end of the game - not because they saw that as an effective protest, but because they are hooligans who don’t give a damn about rules, the law or other fans. They should all rightfully receive lifetime banning orders.

Today, I feel the away supporters have done very well - shown unity and positive protest to stay post game. I imagine the coach stake out that followed got edgy at times, got the message across clearly, but stayed on the right side of the law. Overall, a top effort by the fans.

Assuming Dai remains clueless and doesn’t sack Pauno, then the challenge is how to up the ante further at Preston in a positive way.

We cannot afford to get to the Brum game without change as the heavy Reading thug/chav element will have a field day and we will be mightily ashamed of our club and town.

Colin has never been the more obvious course of action.

This. We need to remain within the law. We need to be seen to be caring about the club, as the majority of us do, by the media. Not as a bunch of thugs.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 17 Feb 2022 08:35

Nothing we do will have any impact, that’s obvious. As sad as it is all we can do is be passengers on the bus for the next 15 games and hope somehow that we finish 4th from bottom

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 17 Feb 2022 08:47

Things have been worse……

And things can get worse….

Ady Williams (or Mick Gooding) made an interesting comparison with events at Blackburn when they were last relegated from the Prem…..

More background here….

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Kean

I remember the situation and how it initially seemed like the Blackburn owners were showing restraint and support for their manager and how in a way, I hoped Kean would turn it around….

But then it became more and more toxic because it was plain to see that he was failing miserably, dragging the Club down. It became inexplicable that he retained his position.

The team were bottom of the league and the fans were calling for his sacking and venting their frustrations in increasingly desperate ways.

They’ve not made it back to the Prem since and that was ten years ago.

For some to actually be considering support for the appointment of Warnock….or McCarthy Is about as desperate as it gets for me; but in many ways, understandable.

The team (on paper) last night looked like they would brush aside such poor opposition… but the intensity just is not there and their attitude and application is rock bottom.

Sourness once said, after he took over from Dalglish that when a new manager comes in, a Club either needs revolutionary change or tweaking and developing; building on what’s there.

He believes his error at Liverpool was to bring revolutionary change when it wasn’t required (baby and the bath water etc)

We do need revolutionary change; desperately….

Realistically our owners will not be appointing a Warnock or a McCarthy type.

I just hope that we are not faced with a ‘Kean & Blackburn’ situation which drags the Club down even further.

I have changed my opinion.

Pauno has to go now. We surely cannot wait until the summer.

And perhaps Gilkes could do the job and keep us up.

I am sure that he would have a better rapport with the players.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Feb 2022 08:57

If Pauno has drove off in his own car last night, surely that means it's curtains on his time at the club?

To be honest, the only way I see us surviving is either Derby go bust or we change our manager, we might possibly need both but I think just one or the other personally. We won't move forward with Pauno in charge and we certainly will not pick up enough results under him in our last 15 games either.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Feb 2022 09:17

Positive change needs to happen before Birmingham - and when i say positive that means Pauno has gone and a suitable replacement found. Suitable as in a Warnock, Pulis, Mccarthy, Mcdermott, christ id even take Leigertwood. It cannot be any possible some foreign nobody etc - no time for that.

Because if that does not happen, and we go a goal down, i sense fans will come on pitch, and it will be an utter mess.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Feb 2022 09:22

McDermolenko Forgot to mention in my initial post when listing issues at the club - understand from a friend that the club are to issue an apology on behalf of Yakou Meite following some threatening/homophobic tweets that came to light over the past few weeks.

I hope this isn’t true. This is the last thing we need.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2022 09:29

YorkshireRoyal99 If Pauno has drove off in his own car last night, surely that means it's curtains on his time at the club?

To be honest, the only way I see us surviving is either Derby go bust or we change our manager, we might possibly need both but I think just one or the other personally. We won't move forward with Pauno in charge and we certainly will not pick up enough results under him in our last 15 games either.

If he left in his car alone, there is only two realistic reasons.

1. He's gone
2. There is such a big divide between him and the playing squad that they don't even want to travel together.

2 is probably close to the truth and we just need to hope 1 happens soon.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2022 09:31

Zip
McDermolenko Forgot to mention in my initial post when listing issues at the club - understand from a friend that the club are to issue an apology on behalf of Yakou Meite following some threatening/homophobic tweets that came to light over the past few weeks.

I hope this isn’t true. This is the last thing we need.

Nothing would surprise me any more but if there are tweets like that out there (or were out there) there is absolutely no way that we wouldn't already know about them. The first we hear of it is unlikely to be from an apology from the club over something no-one seems to have heard of.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Feb 2022 09:42

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 If Pauno has drove off in his own car last night, surely that means it's curtains on his time at the club?

1. He's gone
2. There is such a big divide between him and the playing squad that they don't even want to travel together.

Surely 2 would lead to 1 though? That's what I can't understand really. Then again, it's Reading FC and the Dai's.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2022 09:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

1. He's gone

Surely 2 would lead to 1 though? That's what I can't understand really. Then again, it's Reading FC and the Dai's.

In normal times yes. These aren't those.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Feb 2022 09:56

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul My suggestion would be that on Tuesday we go on the pitch and just sit there. Not at the end, at the start. Sit there and don't move. Don't speak to any players, don't touch anyone, don't approach the manager. Just peacefully sit there and stop the game for as long as possible. They won't ban 2000 supporters, the police won't arrest you.

No, but we'll get a massive fine and possibly a points deduction

If it gets the owner to take note then I'm all for it