218 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h)

by Sutekh » 20 Feb 2022 09:57

When : Tuesday 22nd February 2022, 8pm
Where : SCL, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

New dawn or same old cr@p that we've all been used to? For this one I'll tend towards the latter as a) Reading are at home and they haven't won a game at home since 16th October, b) I really can't see what effect the "dynamic duo" could have on the team in 3 days considering the long journey back from Preston and the subsequent required rest times, c) it's midweek and Reading really do not do midweek games and, finally, d) it's Birmingham and Birmingham at home is notorious for utterly shambolic performances that return nil points.

But then this is Paul Ince and Paul Ince could play and Paul Ince could be steel when he did play and Paul Ince will hopefully start instilling some of that into the players, and perhaps those players will respond as Paul Ince should - at least to begin with - be a name that players would respect given that Paul Ince achieved at the highest level. Let's hope Paul Ince manages to achieve things quickly but that it doesn't finish as badly as that run that Reading experienced under Paul Ince's team mate. Then there's Paul Ince's son Tom Ince, I wonder if Paul Ince will guarantee a start for him every game (and how does that dynamic work, son of manager in squad :? ).

And Michael Gilkes will form part of the managerial double act and Michael can hopefully bring some of the "Reading" way to the playing side and perhaps, just perhaps, we might start to see - over time - a team that returns to attacking wing play which, if nothing else, would at least provide some positive entertainment.

Birmingham are a total jinx to Reading at home even when they're cr@p - and there's been a lot of cr@p from Birmingham over the last few seasons, almost equal to the cr@pness shown by Reading in fact but somehow the midlanders just keep on the fringes of each relegation battle and never quite succumb. This season Brum are their usual "a team you should beat" but as usual that never applies to Reading when the game is in RG2.

Form up in the blue part of Birmingham started poorly and has since become utterly nondescript with 1 win, 3 draws and 2 defeats in the last 7. However they have won 1 and drawn 1 of their last 2 games including a point at a useful Stoke oil Saturday so there is some decent organisation there for new manager to try and unfathom.

Lukas Jutkiewicz is still there and continues to be the main "off the bench" threat but the big goalscoring problem comes in the form of Scott Hogan who is the blues leading scorer by a long way on 10 from 24(4) apps. However the big issue to watch here is going to be on loan striker Lyle Taylor as the Forest player has bagged 3 goals in 5 starts since arriving in January to cover for the injury to Troy Deeney.
Gary Gardner in midfield (with 5 strikes) would probably be a good place to start though when you want to stop Birmingham playing.

Injuries mean Birmingham will be without Troy Deeney, Matija Sarkic, Adan George and Taylor Richards. Reading's injury problems are more on the manageable side now with just the 6 expected out; Laurent, Ejaria, Dann, Tetek, Azeez and former Drum player Halilovic. Araruna can, sadly, be forgotten about entirely given he is out for the rest of the season and then out of contract as well.

Lastly midweek home form for Reading is pretty awful. Since the start of season 2014-15 Reading have played 53 home games in midweek (these are league games with 7.45/8pm kick offs on a Tuesday or Wednesday) won 14 but suffered 32 defeats so it is quite staggeringly bad. And I'm trying to be positive as if you look at the same form since 2018-19 began it becomes 6 wins and 20 defeats in 28 games!

For the record four of those 53 games have been against Birmingham and Reading did actually manage a 0-0 in one them!

Good luck Mr Ince sir, you've got some real work on your hands here so you're really going to need it.

Referee

Simon Hooper

Previously

25 Apr 21 > Reading 2-2 Swansea City
31 Jan 20 > Cardiff City 1-1 Reading
30 Dec 17 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
12 Feb 17 > Reading 1-1 Fulham
07 May 17 > Burton Albion 2-4 Reading
09 Aug 16 > Reading 2-0 Plymouth Argyle (League Cup)
05 Mar 16 > Reading 2-2 Fulham
26 Dec 15 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Reading
17 Feb 15 > Reading 0-1 Wigan Athletic
16 Aug 14 > Reading 1-0 Ipswich Town
23 Sep 14 > Derby County 2-0 Reading (League Cup)
14 Apr 14 > Reading 1-1 Leicester City
20 Mar 12 > Peterborough United 2-1 Reading
26 Dec 11 > Reading 3-0 Brighton & Hove Albion
01 Jan 11 > Swansea City 1-0 Reading
28 Dec 09 > Plymouth Argyle 4-1 Reading
18 Aug 09 > Swansea City 0-0 Reading

Historically

Well at least this one doesn’t present much to live up to. Previous home league games with Birmingham have generally worked out to be utter disasters with Reading usually handing performances that at best can only be described as shambolic.

Games with Birmingham only go back 35 years or so and in that time Birmingham have turned up in Reading on 18 occasions and won 8 times while Reading have struggled to a mere 4 victories. Most depressing are the last 7 games played at home to Brum which has seen the home team manage a fantastic return of 2 whole points while serving up some quite clueless and utterly inept performances (e.g. that dreadful 0-2 of January 2018).

So, if I were you, I’d avoid this one like you would avoid a crawl through a working sewage pipe in a Vindaloo only area.

However if you are a masochist, this is how to follow the game

1. Red button
  2. Use your favourite ticket obtainment procedure followed by whichever suitable means of travel enablement is preferred
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (h)

by Zip » 20 Feb 2022 10:06

I can’t see Rahman being available for this so back up to eight out and that’s too many. This is an opportunity to win and give the team some confidence. It will put Derby under pressure to then beat Millwall the following night. Millwall will be fresh having not played this weekend and Derby will be without Lawrence.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Feb 2022 10:10

Can see this being a pretty dull affair. Will go for a 0-0.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2022 10:24

Scott Hogan is still injured which is good news

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2022 10:42

We know that our on the field problems stem from poor management decisions.

I think we should accept that any manager will take time to sort this out and not expect immediate results. Yes, we're all hoping for a new manager bounce and we've just won a game for the first time in four months, two unbeaten. But we shouldn't allow that to make us expect instant improvement and turn on Ince and Gilkes quickly if we continue to lose games.

What we really need is to put the toxicity behind us and move forward with positivity.

Hopefully we'll quickly see some positive action. It will be very frustrating if we continue to see all 10 outfielders back for corners. Leaving two forward is a very easy, very quick change that can reduce crowding and confusion in our box and force 3 defenders to stay back to cover counterattacks.

We've got the quality to score goals. Joao now has 4 in 8(2). He's not even near his best yet. Meite is slowly getting up to speed. Swift is starting to score and create again. Just have to cut down on the defensive frailties and errors.

..................Southwood
Holmes, Yiadom, Morrison, McIntyre
..............Rinomhota, Bashiru
Ince, .............Swift,..................... Hoilett
........................Joao

Think we need some pace alongside Morrison so whilst Yiadom was excellent against Preston at RB, I'd move him into the centre and move Holmes out of the firing line a little. With McIntyre in the full backs will likely be playing a bit more defensively anyway.

Or could go with a back 3 and Yiadom and Hoilett wingbacks.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 Feb 2022 10:49

I new our midweek Record was bad but blimey that is horrendous. And the away record is even worse, the only glimmer of hope is it is we are against the side that begins with B. Which are our only 3 away wins in God knows how long.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Feb 2022 10:57

I am hoping we can sneak a 1-0 win and then another one at Blackpool. The next two games could be pivotal especially if we can get closer to one or two teams above us. The Preston fans said they’d played badly in the first half but were amazed that we’re struggling at the bottom.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Feb 2022 11:30

That midweek form. :shock:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2022 11:34

Nice write up

Intrigued how this one will go. Also be interesting to see if a couple of the injured players come back

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2022 11:36

Zip I can’t see Rahman being available for this so back up to eight out and that’s too many. This is an opportunity to win and give the team some confidence. It will put Derby under pressure to then beat Millwall the following night. Millwall will be fresh having not played this weekend and Derby will be without Lawrence.

Yep, can't see any way Rahman makes the squad. Wasn't clear from the footage whether he's done his back, his hammy or both. But less than a week turnaround seems unlikely to say the least.

Even if he was half timewasting.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Feb 2022 11:40

For me our survival is about Dann and McIntyre. If they are back and injuries are kind we can survive. Holmes just looks awful at the minute. Hopefully Ince can see the Drinkwater conundrum as well. We are more than capable of beating Brum.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 20 Feb 2022 11:46

Zip Scott Hogan is still injured which is good news

Diving champion Lyle Taylor will be playing though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2022 11:46

Ascotexgunner For me our survival is about Dann and McIntyre. If they are back and injuries are kind we can survive. Holmes just looks awful at the minute. Hopefully Ince can see the Drinkwater conundrum as well. We are more than capable of beating Brum.

To give Holmes some credit he did pretty well in the second half but since Dann’s injury we have been very vulnerable from crosses. Hopefully Dann is back for the Blackpool game although I suspect that’s optimistic. Important TMac got minutes yesterday as he is likely to start on Tuesday night. He needs to stay fit.

We will soon find out what the injury issues are with Ejaria. High time the club clarified what’s going on there.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2022 11:47

Mr Optimist
Zip Scott Hogan is still injured which is good news

Diving champion Lyle Taylor will be playing though.

Yep he caused us a lot of problems at our place when Charlton beat us a few years ago.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 20 Feb 2022 11:48

Ascotexgunner For me our survival is about Dann and McIntyre. If they are back and injuries are kind we can survive. Holmes just looks awful at the minute. Hopefully Ince can see the Drinkwater conundrum as well. We are more than capable of beating Brum.

Hopefully it is goodbye to zonal marking too, and we will do our research thoroughly and mark man for man based on the best horses for their courses.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Feb 2022 11:58

Zip

To give Holmes some credit he did pretty well in the second half but since Dann’s injury we have been very vulnerable from crosses. Hopefully Dann is back for the Blackpool game although I suspect that’s optimistic. Important TMac got minutes yesterday as he is likely to start on Tuesday night. He needs to stay fit.

We will soon find out what the injury issues are with Ejaria. High time the club clarified what’s going on there.

I still don't know what's up with Ejaria, but do we miss him? Very much slows down play and has been poor. Certainly when trying to break down defences as we saw at Bristol would have been useful with close tight play, but Hoilett has been decent...and gives us width and pace. I'm happier with him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2022 12:02

Ascotexgunner
Zip

I still don't know what's up with Ejaria, but do we miss him? Very much slows down play and has been poor. Certainly when trying to break down defences as we saw at Bristol would have been useful with close tight play, but Hoilett has been decent...and gives us width and pace. I'm happier with him.

I like Hoilett apart from his stupidity v Coventry. We need as many senior players as possible to be fit though so I would like to see Ejaria back. However he is turning into a disappointing signing.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 20 Feb 2022 12:21

Will have to wait until tomorrow to see what Reading Buses are doing for this match.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 20 Feb 2022 12:29

Royals and Racers Will have to wait until tomorrow to see what Reading Buses are doing for this match.

Park at Mereoak and walk for me if they aren't.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2022 13:03

Ascotexgunner
Royals and Racers Will have to wait until tomorrow to see what Reading Buses are doing for this match.

Park at Mereoak and walk for me if they aren't.

Yep I shall be parking at Mereoak on Tuesday night although getting the bus in and back again. Walked back to Mereoak after the Coventry games as the queues for the buses were ridiculous.

218 posts