Ince out!

1204 posts
Tails
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ince out!

by Tails » 14 Feb 2023 22:21

Crowbar6753
Tails Those calling for his head are a touch deluded. Let’s get to the end of the season, see how the tail-end plays out.

We can then see what platform Bowen has to work with. He’ll have a better idea of who he can bring in, who will go, and which manager will get the most out of the players (and is willing to come here).

If you think we’re tanking, take a look at QPR.

I like Ince as a person and for the changes he has made behind the scenes, however, as a manager i still feel he is tactically inept and to play 5-3-2 and the same team again from the start tonight totally proved this point.

Ince got lucky tonight with Baba's injury and when he finally made the necessary changes by bringing on Forah, Azeez and NGW whom we have all been calling for then we actually started to look like a football team!!

The three subs changed the game, Azeez and NGW caused havoc down the left and Azeez picked out Carroll for two assists and Forah got the winner!!

Come on Paul, tonight may just save your managerial job if you learn from this and trust in the players to play in their natural positions!!

I seem to remember a clamour to play 2 up front, he’s been trying it. I’m sure he’ll start to play Azeez and NGW more now. I get the feeling Ince does see the bigger picture, and is privy to things we are not. We’re in a lot healthier position footballing wise than a fair few clubs, and coming out of the punishments for previous errors, we’ll be stronger next season. Whether that ends up with since at the helm or not (I’m putting my faith in Bowen FWIW).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Feb 2023 01:17

Crowbar6753
Tails Those calling for his head are a touch deluded. Let’s get to the end of the season, see how the tail-end plays out.

We can then see what platform Bowen has to work with. He’ll have a better idea of who he can bring in, who will go, and which manager will get the most out of the players (and is willing to come here).

If you think we’re tanking, take a look at QPR.

I like Ince as a person and for the changes he has made behind the scenes, however, as a manager i still feel he is tactically inept and to play 5-3-2 and the same team again from the start tonight totally proved this point.

Ince got lucky tonight with Baba's injury and when he finally made the necessary changes by bringing on Forah, Azeez and NGW whom we have all been calling for then we actually started to look like a football team!!

The three subs changed the game, Azeez and NGW caused havoc down the left and Azeez picked out Carroll for two assists and Forah got the winner!!

Come on Paul, tonight may just save your managerial job if you learn from this and trust in the players to play in their natural positions!!

First half was all so predictable. Too many older players in the XI

Not a huge Ince fan but credit for making early and decisive substitutes. No one expects perfection but the ability to adapt and adjust accordingly is a good trait. Youth, energy and dynamism causes problems and if Ince can use tonight as a learning curve then there may be a sustainable long term future for both him and the club

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Feb 2023 08:44

Notts Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Notts Royal To me it’s pretty clear cut - keep him til the end of the season & then dispense with. Yes he’s done a reasonable job with the hand he’s been dealt with. But then his team selections are really poor, so I don’t think I’d trust him with his own players simply because he puts square pegs into round holes needlessly

He's not had much options though and I'm sure outside of restrictions we would look against "square pegs in round holes".

So why’s he playing Yiadom at centre back when we have other fit centre backs?

Because he's been one of our most effective players in that position.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Feb 2023 09:36

From where we were to where we are now is a massive improvement. With freebies, loans and journeymen. Him and Rae have done a brilliant job underpinned by Bowen. I will politely say that if you think different you are somewhat deluded.

He deserves the chance to take this team forward with a proper transfer window and to see what our new scouting system can come up with.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Feb 2023 10:36

Current form after last night

4 games - 16th place
6 games - 18th place
8 games - 15th place
10 games - 13th place
12 games - 12th place

So fine really.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Feb 2023 10:42

Fezza
Snowflake Royal
Fezza
If he was sacked out only decent player, his son, would likely down tools. This would see us relegated. He’s done an excellent job with very very limited resources, and a shocking record of injuries.

Never said he should be sacked.

Others have

I haven't, I just suggested maybe we should see what other managers are available this summer (live in the moment). If there's a better fit we should go for it. If not, stick but I don't see Ince being here in another year.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Feb 2023 23:36

Royal_jimmy
Fezza
Snowflake Royal Never said he should be sacked.

Others have

I haven't, I just suggested maybe we should see what other managers are available this summer (live in the moment). If there's a better fit we should go for it. If not, stick but I don't see Ince being here in another year.

You can't really do that without sacking him though, because if that happened he'd probably quit.

The reality is that very few proven managers would want the Reading job, even if FFP restrictions are lifted. By championship standards, we really aren't anything special as a club.

It's pretty much Ince or somebody unproven, who may do better, may do worse.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Feb 2023 21:53

I'm done.

See out this season then get rid and start afresh with a new manager

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Feb 2023 22:00

I’d give him a contract extension tbh

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Feb 2023 22:05

Brogue I’d give him a contract extension tbh

No thanks. Don't want another season with negative performances

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Feb 2023 22:17

tmesis
Royal_jimmy
Fezza
Others have

You can't really do that without sacking him though, because if that happened he'd probably quit.

The reality is that very few proven managers would want the Reading job, even if FFP restrictions are lifted. By championship standards, we really aren't anything special as a club.

Where does your perception of reality come from? I just don’t think that’s true. Decent club, great facilities, decent academy and an owner with cash willing to spend it. There will be plenty of interested parties IMO.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Feb 2023 22:18

tmesis
Royal_jimmy
Fezza
Others have

Where does your perception of reality come from? I just don’t think that’s true. Decent club, great facilities, decent academy and an owner with cash willing to spend it. There will be plenty of interested parties IMO.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Feb 2023 22:25

RoyalBlue
tmesis
Royal_jimmy

Also in a good location with a cracking academy. We'd attract some decent managers, the owner just keeps giving unproven people the job.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Feb 2023 22:28

jfc

Tonight (cardiff away) we were awful and Ince is partly to blame but ffs against all odds we're closer to a playoff spot than we are to a relegation spot and there are still wet beds all over the place.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2023 22:32

Royal_jimmy I'm done.

See out this season then get rid and start afresh with a new manager

You post like this hasn't been your opinion for the last, well, largely forever.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Feb 2023 23:08

Give him a transfer window people say.

Why?

Decent coaching would get something more out of THIS squad. None of them can pass accurately or with decent weight on the ball, but if by some fluke a pass does reach them, if any opponent is within 3 yards of them they will either get dispossessed after dawdling on the ball, play a panic pass straight to the opposition or out of play, or go backwards 30 yards.

None of them can control the ball and / or make space with a decent first touch.

None of them can even make a decent clearance from defence, it’s always an aimless panicked hoof that often goes further vertically than it does clear the lines and just invites more pressure.

What do they do in training?

They may have been instrumental in some good things behind the scenes, I wouldn’t know but some give them credit for that, but it looks to me like every single player has become a worse footballer under Ince and Rae.

If we stay up then it’s job done I suppose but I won’t waste anymore time watching this boring, frustrating, abject version of Reading this season unless there’s a change in management.

Yeah, I may be exaggerating it a bit but giving him a transfer window with a bit of money to spend when every current player seems to have gone backwards in every aspect of the game seems like the definition of insanity.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Feb 2023 23:12

He should go and no doubt will in the summer. It's going to be a long slog to get to the end of the season but we will do enough to stay up with Ince in charge. Sacking him and rushing to appoint someone isn't wise imo.

Keep Ince in place, use the time between now and June to find the right man, identify realistic transfer targets for when the embargo is lifted.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Feb 2023 23:14

How can the players go backwards if they weren’t very good in the first place? This is a very limited squad with almost no creativity. We were the bookies pre season favourites for relegation for a reason.
We have according to Sam Matteface the smallest budget in the division by a long way.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 17 Feb 2023 23:15

Royal Rother Give him a transfer window people say.

Why?

Decent coaching would get something more out of this squad. None of them can pass accurately or with decent weight on the ball, but if by some fluke a pass does reach them, if any opponent is within 3 yards of them they will either get dispossessed after dawdling on the ball, play a panic pass straight to the opposition or out of play, or go backwards 30 yards.

None of them can control the ball and / or make space with a decent first touch.

None of them can even make a decent clearance from defence, it’s always an aimless panicked hoof that often goes further vertically than it does clear the lines and just invites more pressure.

What do they do in training?

They may have been instrumental in some good things behind the scenes, I wouldn’t know but some give them credit for that, but it looks to me like every single player has become a worse footballer under Ince and Rae.

If we stay up then it’s job done I suppose but I won’t waste anymore time watching this boring, frustrating, abject version of Reading this season unless there’s a change in management.

Yeah, I may be exaggerating it a bit but giving him a transfer window with a bit of money to spend when every current player seems to have gone backwards in every aspect of the game seems like the definition of insanity.

This exactly. We look terrible. Can’t create, can’t move the ball around the pitch at all it seems. Even under Pauno we were able to create chances and score from open play.

In his interview today he says ‘we don’t have the players to play the way we want’, well - as the manager you need to play the way that works with the players at your disposal.

He’s been a good stop gap. Steadied the ship to a point, but there’s got to be be better out there.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Feb 2023 23:56

That post match interview was one where Ince spouted out a load of nonsense. Excuse after excuse after bloody excuse

Agree with the previous comments. Play to your strengths. He could play with some actual winners to cross it into Carroll, as he’s so insistent that he starts.

I saw in Azeez & NGW, 2 players more than capable of playing the ball on the deck. Azeez put in some decent corners.

Maybe just maybe Paul, it’s your negative tactics that are holding the squad back?

Credit where credit’s due…to Mr Bowen for assembling that squad in the summer. It’s limited, but it’s decent enough to be playing better stuff than the shit ince has been serving up recently

1204 posts