Ince out!

1204 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ince out!

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2023 00:00

Zip How can the players go backwards if they weren’t very good in the first place? This is a very limited squad with almost no creativity. We were the bookies pre season favourites for relegation for a reason.
We have according to Sam Matteface the smallest budget in the division by a long way.
Well, our results and performances have gone downhill.

NGW was positive early on. Now looks laboured.
Loum started like a champ, now plays like a chump.
Fornah was bright and inventive. Full of errors
Ince was running the show, now creating not a lot.
Rahman is far worse than last season
Joao has always scored goals... until Ince
Meite is a shadow of his previous season's performances
McIntyre hasn't improved

Holmes is better than last season

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Feb 2023 00:13

Snowflake Royal
Zip How can the players go backwards if they weren’t very good in the first place? This is a very limited squad with almost no creativity. We were the bookies pre season favourites for relegation for a reason.
We have according to Sam Matteface the smallest budget in the division by a long way.
Well, our results and performances have gone downhill.

NGW was positive early on. Now looks laboured.
Loum started like a champ, now plays like a chump.
Fornah was bright and inventive. Full of errors
Ince was running the show, now creating not a lot.
Rahman is far worse than last season
Joao has always scored goals... until Ince
Meite is a shadow of his previous season's performances
McIntyre hasn't improved

Holmes is better than last season

Loum and Fornah were great v Blackburn early in the season but average since.
Meite had an horrific knee injury. Its well known most players struggle to reach the same levels upon returning.
Rahman was poor last season too
Joao has looked out of form but he's been consistently known to be inconsistent.
Ince is knackered.

When we were winning earlier in the season it was by the skin of our teeth. Performances were still very scratchy. We were also dreadful in a good number of games too.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 18 Feb 2023 00:25

I don't understand how people on here are still backing Ince? What exactly is he doing well?

The players we have are no where near as bad as he makes out. Surely it is all down to the manager and his negative tactics plus the "my players are all sh1t" interviews he gives. Very morale boosting. Has he ever included "we've got a sh1t manager" in his list of regular gripes?

Just a little bit of positivity and playing the right players in the right positions in the right formations would go a long way to improving performances. This is where a good manager comes in.

No wonder the players collectively look worse now than at the start of the season. You would expect the more they train together the better understanding they should have with each other - perhaps they all now believe the "you are all sh1t" propaganda Ince spreads.

Surely Ince should be trying to build our players up not knocking them at every opportunity.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Feb 2023 00:35

morganb I don't understand how people on here are still backing Ince? What exactly is he doing well?

The players we have are no where near as bad as he makes out. Surely it is all down to the manager and his negative tactics plus the "my players are all sh1t" interviews he gives. Very morale boosting. Has he ever included "we've got a sh1t manager" in his list of regular gripes?

Just a little bit of positivity and playing the right players in the right positions in the right formations would go a long way to improving performances. This is where a good manager comes in.

No wonder the players collectively look worse now than at the start of the season. You would expect the more they train together the better understanding they should have with each other - perhaps they all now believe the "you are all sh1t" propaganda Ince spreads.

Surely Ince should be trying to build our players up not knocking them at every opportunity.

How many of our squad would make into the starting line up of the better teams in this division?
Its the most limited squad I think we have ever had in the Championship..
We started pre season with a handful of players and no money to spend. What are people expecting here?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Feb 2023 01:09

Zip
morganb I don't understand how people on here are still backing Ince? What exactly is he doing well?

How many of our squad would make into the starting line up of the better teams in this division?
We started pre season with a handful of players and no money to spend. What are people expecting here?

We play with a striker who is an exceptional header/attacker of the ball and we only play long balls down the middle.

Discuss.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Feb 2023 04:36

My biggest problem with getting rid of Paul is that we'd also lose Tom. Or at least this version of him.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 18 Feb 2023 07:22

leon
Zip

We play with a striker who is an exceptional header/attacker of the ball and we only play long balls down the middle.

Discuss.

Amen. It’s the biggest mystery of the season. The bloke has spent the last 10 or so seasons as an impact sub, yet Ince has him down as a guaranteed starter. It’s like he doesn’t have a club how to play to his strengths.

I did think Azeez starting was a positive move though. Lumping it into the channels for him to run onto at least dragged the team (or the ones with any pace/energy) up the field.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Feb 2023 08:48

NathStPaul He should go and no doubt will in the summer. It's going to be a long slog to get to the end of the season but we will do enough to stay up with Ince in charge. Sacking him and rushing to appoint someone isn't wise imo.

Keep Ince in place, use the time between now and June to find the right man, identify realistic transfer targets for when the embargo is lifted.

I hope Bowen reads this post. As I agree completely

Taffster

by Taffster » 18 Feb 2023 09:21

leon
Zip

Discuss.

This is my biggest problem, you have someone like carrol in the team and we put a cross into him once or twice a game. Happy enough that this limited squad need to play long ball but it needs to be done with a purpose.

Taffster

by Taffster » 18 Feb 2023 09:21

leon
Zip

Discuss.

This is my biggest problem, you have someone like carrol in the team and we put a cross into him once or twice a game. Happy enough that this limited squad need to play long ball but it needs to be done with a purpose.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Feb 2023 09:23

Taffster
leon
Zip

Discuss.

Yep with Carroll in the side we are very one dimensional and predictable.

Fezza

by Fezza » 18 Feb 2023 09:41

Carroll isn’t the whole issue.

When you only have the players available that allow you to play 5-3-2 with two defensive mids (one of whom is a repurposed cb) and without any playmaker, you’ll always be one dimensional.

Azeez needs to play in a side with other quick players and a player in the middle who plays attacking passes (regrettably Ejaria has made himself unplayable).

Ince is damned by the options available to him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2023 10:57

Zip

An attempt to win games, good management decisions and some positive talk about our players.

Last season Joao was one of the best strikers in the division.

Carroll is one of the best headers of the ball and attackers of crosses anywhere. We don't cross the ball. Half the time we do he isn't in the box. He's great at flick ons but there's never anyone near him.

We started the season with an all new midfield. Very risky, but you expect to see that growing in performance as the season goes on, as they fet used to each other. Its more chaotic than ever, and the manager chose to play a Centreback and DM there against one of the worst teams around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2023 10:59

Fezza Carroll isn’t the whole issue.

When you only have the players available that allow you to play 5-3-2 with two defensive mids (one of whom is a repurposed cb) and without any playmaker, you’ll always be one dimensional.

Azeez needs to play in a side with other quick players and a player in the middle who plays attacking passes (regrettably Ejaria has made himself unplayable).

The problem with that is, we don't have the players to play that way, but we do have the players to play other ways.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Feb 2023 11:31

Just posted this elsewhere, but we've brought Casadei in who does have a bit more of a technical edge to the team. Fornah is comfortable with the ball, so is Ince etc.

We don't have to flip the script on what we do, we just have to take what we've got and find a different way of doing it. At the moment, all we do is sit in, soak up pressure and hope for a mistake. Why can't we sit in, soak up pressure but bring some more technical players into the game where we can look after possession a little bit more and then maybe we can carry more of a threat? That might not suit Carroll, but it still doesn't stop us going longer into Carroll for knock downs either and that way we'd have more bodies around him rather than just one in Azeez, where the chances are he's not going to get it and, even if he does, he's got 3/4 Cardiff bodies around.

If you go back and count the number of times Carroll wins the first header and Azeez doesn't get the second ball or (probably a better way of saying it) the ball goes to a Cardiff player it will be ridiculous. That's not Azeez's fault, how can you expect anyone, whether you're 21 or 35, to get a second ball from a flick on when you're outnumbered 1 to 3/4? Carroll is reliable in the air, but the judging where the flick on will go is not as reliable, hence why we turn the ball over during that phase so often.

It's predictable. We just need to find different ways of playing the way we do and we do have players with different skillsets that are able to do that. We don't have to tear up the blueprint and start again, we just have to try and find different ways of playing in a low block that can change the pattern of the game. That's what is costing us results away at the moment. Not necessarily the shape.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Feb 2023 11:59

We don’t have the players to play the formation he wants. We are not 1990s Inter Milan.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2023 12:23

Here's some sides that might work and play to people's strengths.

.......................Lumley
Yiadom, Mbengue, Holmes, NGW
Hoilett, ...any 2 midfielders,... Ince
.................Carroll, Another

Spoil midfield protecting defence, get the ball wide and down the wings to cross into Carroll. You also have the option ofhitting Carroll for knock downs or flick ons or hitting the channels for Azeez/Long/Meite to chase.

......................Lumley
Yiadom, Holmes, Sarr, Rahman
..............Any 2 midfielders
..Meite............Ince..............Azeez
........................Joao

Again, protect defence and spoil in midfield. Use Meite and Azeez to attack the full backs and with Ince get bodies around Joao, giving him options and pulling defenders off him.

There are many variations along these lines. We just need to avoid defence being too many inexperienced players along side each other, and only really slow centrebacks if possible.

We saw how much better we looked going 4-3-3 against Rotherham and I don't think Azeez or NGW played to the level they're capable of in open play in that game.

We have options. Ince is ignoring them.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Feb 2023 12:57

Going to be interesting how Warnock does with the mess at Huddersfield.
Surely if he performs and gels something there at that shitshow, then the arguement starts that next season we need a manager that is experienced with a decent track record....and not failed, dodgy, unheard of, inexperienced failures we have had.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Feb 2023 15:22

Ascotexgunner Going to be interesting how Warnock does with the mess at Huddersfield.
Surely if he performs and gels something there at that shitshow, then the arguement starts that next season we need a manager that is experienced with a decent track record....and not failed, dodgy, unheard of, inexperienced failures we have had.

Colin lasted 6 minutes before Birmingham took the lead….

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Feb 2023 16:04

Sutekh
Ascotexgunner Going to be interesting how Warnock does with the mess at Huddersfield.

Colin lasted 6 minutes before Birmingham took the lead….

1-1 now....

1204 posts