Ince out!

1204 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ince out!

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2023 10:21

Royal_jimmy
SouthDownsRoyal
windermereROYAL RFC Latest on twitter are reporting a rumour that we are keeping tabs on Murty who is in charge of Sunderland U21s.
Yes please.

Yes please

Would be nice to see a Reading favourite manage us but again does he have enough experience?

Alan Pardew and Martin Allen are both available seeing as the club are likely to need a quick fix and uplift.

Meanwhile Murts has managed youth sides (Rangers, Norwich and Sunderland) as well as 6 months as manager of Rangers after they’d got back to the Scottish Premier League. Has won the SPL Reserve League and taken Rangers to 3rd in the SPL after the club’s calamitous season start under Pedro Caixinha.

So not really enough experience for my liking though could be a clever appointment particularly as he’d be well schooled in the proper Reading way of “shrewd cheapness”.

Alternatively If you want a former Reading favourite then why not look at Dylan Kerr who has done reasonably well managing struggling clubs in South Africa.

Of course there’s that guy at Wrexham, he’s good at managing on shoestring budgets but if Wrexham get promoted he may well prefer to see them through their first season back in the FL rather than move to this basket case club.

Finally Brynjar Gunnarsson is currently managing Orgryte in Iceland and Liam Rosenior is managing at Hull if you want to look at other previous Reading players currently in management.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 12 Mar 2023 10:29

I get a good feeling about him, but this is a really tough job. Might be a bit too much for him to take on.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2023 10:59

No disrespect to Murty, he's a club legend but can we not just get a manager with a lot of experience in? Ideally one who can work with a small budget.

I'd have had Ainsworth but he's at QPR now

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Mar 2023 11:54

So, we bring in Murty. Maybe we start the season well with a bit of optimism. But he's an inexperienced manager and probably lacks the skills right now to know how to deal with any downturn in form/results. So, we hit a bad patch, start slipping down the table again, and all our fans that believe that a manager should be fired after 2 bad months will be calling for his head. And the cycle continues . . . . .

Surely you guys must be able to see the pattern here? Please explain to me why you think that Murty will be any different to Ince? Is it just a case of rolling the dice every season and hoping that we eventually find the right manager?

Tell me - what is the downside of just sticking with one manager, as long as we're not actually getting relegated, and giving them 2-3 seasons to develop a squad and playing style? Is it not possible that someone who *seems* as though they're not up to a job in the first seasons might find their feet and show us something different once they've had time to build the team they want? How is that any more of a gamble then bringing in a brand new person who has managed at our level before?

If we got Ince to wear a wig and fake glasses for the second season and called him 'Barry Ince' - would that make all you guys happy? Just to make you feel like we're 'taking action'.

kirkrich

by kirkrich » 12 Mar 2023 12:34

Barry Ince is currently the manager of Pilgrims FC. Doubt he has the experience we need!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Mar 2023 12:39

Elm Park Kid So, we bring in Murty. Maybe we start the season well with a bit of optimism. But he's an inexperienced manager and probably lacks the skills right now to know how to deal with any downturn in form/results. So, we hit a bad patch, start slipping down the table again, and all our fans that believe that a manager should be fired after 2 bad months will be calling for his head. And the cycle continues . . . . .

Surely you guys must be able to see the pattern here? Please explain to me why you think that Murty will be any different to Ince? Is it just a case of rolling the dice every season and hoping that we eventually find the right manager?

Tell me - what is the downside of just sticking with one manager, as long as we're not actually getting relegated, and giving them 2-3 seasons to develop a squad and playing style? Is it not possible that someone who *seems* as though they're not up to a job in the first seasons might find their feet and show us something different once they've had time to build the team they want? How is that any more of a gamble then bringing in a brand new person who has managed at our level before?

If we got Ince to wear a wig and fake glasses for the second season and called him 'Barry Ince' - would that make all you guys happy? Just to make you feel like we're 'taking action'.

Hit the nail on the head there. We'd just be calling for Murty's head in 12 months time when we hit a bit of a rough spell and then he wouldn't be good enough either etc and we go on.

The reason you'd sack Ince at the moment would be because of results, which have been poor for a couple of months. Performances haven't been too bad in the main apart from away from home where we've been poor all season. I don't really see how you can question his ability to build a squad when he hasn't really had much of an opportunity to, so I don't really understand the "long-term" argument against him either.

The remit this season is not to go down, we aren't doing that at the moment and we probably* won't do either unless we get crippled with a hefty points deduction (9+ which is unlikely).

I believe the club told STAR in an interview this season that Mr Dai had a 2 year plan. Ince has 12 months to run after this season on his contract. Give him that time, we aren't going up anytime soon are we, next season will probably be another season treading water, stabilising and ensuring we stay in the league. At the end of the day, if Ince does get the final year on his contract, no reason why we can't part ways there and look to move forward.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2023 13:09

YorkshireRoyal99
Elm Park Kid So, we bring in Murty. Maybe we start the season well with a bit of optimism. But he's an inexperienced manager and probably lacks the skills right now to know how to deal with any downturn in form/results. So, we hit a bad patch, start slipping down the table again, and all our fans that believe that a manager should be fired after 2 bad months will be calling for his head. And the cycle continues . . . . .

Hit the nail on the head there. We'd just be calling for Murty's head in 12 months time when we hit a bit of a rough spell and then he wouldn't be good enough either etc and we go on.

The reason you'd sack Ince at the moment would be because of results, which have been poor for a couple of months. Performances haven't been too bad in the main apart from away from home where we've been poor all season. I don't really see how you can question his ability to build a squad when he hasn't really had much of an opportunity to, so I don't really understand the "long-term" argument against him either.

The remit this season is not to go down, we aren't doing that at the moment and we probably* won't do either unless we get crippled with a hefty points deduction (9+ which is unlikely).

I believe the club told STAR in an interview this season that Mr Dai had a 2 year plan. Ince has 12 months to run after this season on his contract. Give him that time, we aren't going up anytime soon are we, next season will probably be another season treading water, stabilising and ensuring we stay in the league. At the end of the day, if Ince does get the final year on his contract, no reason why we can't part ways there and look to move forward.

Plan my arse

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Mar 2023 13:54

Results have been bad for months. Performances are equally bad. Our tactics are sub football and baffling. Constant failures followed by repeating the same thing.

It’s not working.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Mar 2023 14:01

Perhaps it's Ince the person that people don't like. He is so negative and disparaging.

Or perhaps it is Ince the manager they don't warm too. His style of play and poor results.

Though a lot of people want to keep him because...?

JR

by JR » 12 Mar 2023 14:20

I think Murty would be fantastic.

Everyone (mostly) loves him and he would get so much more time from the fans.

Board to make it clear to Murts and the fans that he has been given a 3 year project and will stick by him regardless.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2023 14:54

JR I think Murty would be fantastic.

Everyone (mostly) loves him and he would get so much more time from the fans.

Board to make it clear to Murts and the fans that he has been given a 3 year project and will stick by him regardless.

I don't think any manager will ever get that if we are losing games and they're shown to be tactically flawed. Otherwise yes if they're doing ok then keep them.

If Murty is the alternative to Ince then I'd rather stick with Ince

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Mar 2023 15:00

Calling our resident Cheltenham observer Zip, if Ince does go how about Wade Elliott from Cheltenham-doing well on limited resources but what is the style like?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Mar 2023 16:13

Not sure a bottom half L1 manager is the way to go, if it had to be anyone from L1 it would have to be Kieran McKenna or Ian Evatt for me (assuming one, or both, don't see their sides promoted come the end of the season).

You'd like to think that there is a decent pool of managers available though if we were to make any change. Murty would be someone I'd rather have in the summer, but there is a decent enough pool of managers available that would be tempted here.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 12 Mar 2023 16:15

karbota
AthleticoSpizz
karbota Knock knock Just need to say Parky won again.
yeah, just a scabby penalty

Just a barrel-scraping win

4 points clear top of the league.

More points than we have shots on target! Out and the sooner the better...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2023 16:18

Who ya getting in?

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 12 Mar 2023 16:47

Will this bloke ever shut up about referees? :evil:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2023 17:22

The Cap Will this bloke ever shut up about referees? :evil:
Maybe when we win a few games, we have female referees, but (and please don't read too much into my comment here), since Uriah Rennie, have we seen any black or Asian referees on the professional match pitches? (genuine question)

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 12 Mar 2023 17:43

Someone mentioned Ince still has another year left on his contract, afraid I'm not prepared to watch another season of his negative, turgid style of football and hear his excuses blaming everyone but himself for every defeat.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2023 18:11

AthleticoSpizz
The Cap Will this bloke ever shut up about referees? :evil:
Maybe when we win a few games, we have female referees, but (and please don't read too much into my comment here), since Uriah Rennie, have we seen any black or Asian referees on the professional match pitches? (genuine question)

Gurnam Singh was the one Indian ref I can remember

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2023 18:18

Like Rennie, it’s a case of “remembering”

Whilst the “lack of black managers” thing in football bangs-on relentlessly…where are those black, referees?

Fair point? thread worthy?

1204 posts