24 -30 36 Wigan

Monday 8th, May

Burnley 1-1 Cardiff
Huddersfield 2-1 Reading
Norwich 1-1 Blackpool
QPR 2-1 Bristol City
Wigan 0-0 Rotherham

18 -13 47 Rotherham
19 -19 47 Huddersfield (beating Reading on last day)
20 -22 46 READING (with deduction)
21 -33 45 QPR (winning 2-1 on last day to escape)
===================================================
22 -21 44 Blackpool
23 -20 42 Cardiff
24 -30 37 Wigan

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ince out!

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2023 13:05

Ascotexgunner
tmesis I can't decide if getting a new guy in now would be a good or terrible idea.

The good would be the possibility of the 'new manager bounce', plus the chance to get to know the players before the summer rebuilding job.

The bad though would be our terrible position, as a club/team on the slide, with a rebuilding job hampered by a potential new transfer embargo and even stricter spending limits, and hindered further by the lack of a scouting set-up.

That's not really going to attract the highest calibre of candidate out there, so we could end up with a manager who is the equivalent of an end-of-the-transfer-window panic buy, and be stuck with him for another year or two.

Or, we could just end up with someone from the backroom staff as caretaker manager for the rest of the season, which is unlikely to end well.

The strange thing is that the ideal candidate would be a 21/22 Paul Ince, who could get them fired up and fighting for every point, which would probably be enough for us to stay up in this weak division.

"New Guy"?.....It's Mark Bowen or nothing. Anyone else will cost money.

Which would be better. But isn’t happening, at least until too late.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Apr 2023 13:38

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner
tmesis I can't decide if getting a new guy in now would be a good or terrible idea.

The good would be the possibility of the 'new manager bounce', plus the chance to get to know the players before the summer rebuilding job.

The bad though would be our terrible position, as a club/team on the slide, with a rebuilding job hampered by a potential new transfer embargo and even stricter spending limits, and hindered further by the lack of a scouting set-up.

That's not really going to attract the highest calibre of candidate out there, so we could end up with a manager who is the equivalent of an end-of-the-transfer-window panic buy, and be stuck with him for another year or two.

Or, we could just end up with someone from the backroom staff as caretaker manager for the rest of the season, which is unlikely to end well.

The strange thing is that the ideal candidate would be a 21/22 Paul Ince, who could get them fired up and fighting for every point, which would probably be enough for us to stay up in this weak division.

Indeed it would be. He knows these players and he isn't verbally going to destroy their confidence. I'm not a fan of Bowens but he is a way better option.. what concerns me also is our best player is the son of the manager, TI recently appears to be having a go at everyone, what will sacking his father do to him and would we have a sulking disruption in the dressing room.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Apr 2023 15:34

One point from safety

Ince OUT

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Apr 2023 15:47

SouthDownsRoyal One point from safety

Ince OUT

Are you as simple as you appear to be?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Apr 2023 16:50

windermereROYAL

Ince OUT

It's a really obvious tongue in cheek joke.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Apr 2023 17:12

windermereROYAL

Ince OUT

See above post

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Apr 2023 17:27

After reading Mark Bowen’s open letter I am going to try and go to all of our remaining 7 games now and support Ince and the team. At least if we get relegated the transfer embargo will effectively end after this season. The club have tried but it sounds like it was almost an impossible task.

I don’t fear relegation and it is a competition after all. Maybe a rebuild will be easier in League 1. I feel that if we don’t get relegated this season it might happen next season, if we can’t afford/attract the right players. Tbh I feel a sense of relief now that it’s finally done.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Apr 2023 17:33

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner

Indeed it would be. He knows these players and he isn't verbally going to destroy their confidence. I'm not a fan of Bowens but he is a way better option.. what concerns me also is our best player is the son of the manager, TI recently appears to be having a go at everyone, what will sacking his father do to him and would we have a sulking disruption in the dressing room.

I agree. I didn't particularly enjoy Bowen's time as manager but I think he's got far more chance of helping our squad avoid relegation than Ince.

If Thomas wants to sulk, so be it. His form has dropped off anyway and the team didn't look too bad without him at Bristol.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Apr 2023 17:39

blythspartan After reading Mark Bowen’s open letter I am going to try and go to all of our remaining 7 games now and support Ince and the team. At least if we get relegated the transfer embargo will effectively end after this season. The club have tried but it sounds like it was almost an impossible task.

I don’t fear relegation and it is a competition after all. Maybe a rebuild will be easier in League 1. I feel that if we don’t get relegated this season it might happen next season, if we can’t afford/attract the right players. Tbh I feel a sense of relief now that it’s finally done.

The embargo may end in name but for all intents and purposes the situation may well remain the same, since EFL are going to impose a budget on us. We might not have to get approval to sign players but that is meaningless if we're not allowed to spend sufficient money to do so.

I am scared stiff of relegation. League 1 is the graveyard of so many previously big clubs. It is notoriously difficult to get out of and rebuilding there is unlikely to be any easier.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2023 17:45

RoyalBlue
blythspartan After reading Mark Bowen’s open letter I am going to try and go to all of our remaining 7 games now and support Ince and the team. At least if we get relegated the transfer embargo will effectively end after this season. The club have tried but it sounds like it was almost an impossible task.

The embargo may end in name but for all intents and purposes the situation may well remain the same, since EFL are going to impose a budget on us. We might not have to get approval to sign players but that is meaningless if we're not allowed to spend sufficient money to do so.

I am scared stiff of relegation. League 1 is the graveyard of so many previously big clubs. It is notoriously difficult to get out of and rebuilding there is unlikely to be any easier.

The differences appear to be
1) we will be able to pay transfer, loan and compensation fees, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget
2) we can pay nore competitive agent fees, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget
3) we can go through the whole signing process without step by step FL approval, reducing workload and streamlining recruitment process, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget
4) we don't have to restrict individual contracts to a set maximum, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget
5) we don't have to offset a transfer that goes over a particular level with another under by a commensurate level to get the first through, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget

Which is basically the way we should operate as default.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Apr 2023 17:55

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

1) we will be able to pay transfer, loan and compensation fees, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget
2) we can pay nore competitive agent fees, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget
3) we can go through the whole signing process without step by step FL approval, reducing workload and streamlining recruitment process, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget
4) we don't have to restrict individual contracts to a set maximum, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget
5) we don't have to offset a transfer that goes over a particular level with another under by a commensurate level to get the first through, but we are required to do so in a way that won't exceed a set budget

Exactly!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Apr 2023 18:06

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

The ability to get loan players in without being forced to play them every week because the loaning club are "doing us a favour" would be pretty big.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 04 Apr 2023 19:46

Is the 6 points deduction Inces fault?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Apr 2023 19:49

Loafer Is the 6 points deduction Inces fault?

No but failing to pick up as many points as we could and should have done by now is 100% his fault. His complete and utter negativity, both in terms of how he talks about the abilities of our players and the way he approaches games (trying to defend 0 and hold out for draws rather than looking to win games), could well end up costing us dear and retaining him could prove to be one of the biggest mistakes the owner and Bowen made.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Apr 2023 19:53

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

Provided the budget set by EFL is both fair and reasonable. I won't hold my breath on that one, anymore than I'll do so on them properly tackling other FFP offenders in our league. They're finally looking at Watford's fiddle with Kamara but only in regard to whether the transfer fee was overly inflated and not the overall blatant fiddle of taking millions in from another club owned by the Pozzos and still getting to keep the services of the player, and a key one at that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2023 20:53

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

Provided the budget set by EFL is both fair and reasonable. I won't hold my breath on that one, anymore than I'll do so on them properly tackling other FFP offenders in our league. They're finally looking at Watford's fiddle with Kamara but only in regard to whether the transfer fee was overly inflated and not the overall blatant fiddle of taking millions in from another club owned by the Pozzos and still getting to keep the services of the player, and a key one at that.

It'll be based on our income and meeting FFP. So it'll be perfectly reasonable.

East Ding Divvy

by East Ding Divvy » 05 Apr 2023 00:55

RoyalBlue

No but failing to pick up as many points as we could and should have done by now is 100% his fault. His complete and utter negativity, both in terms of how he talks about the abilities of our players and the way he approaches games (trying to defend 0 and hold out for draws rather than looking to win games), could well end up costing us dear and retaining him could prove to be one of the biggest mistakes the owner and Bowen made.

This, this, this, this. We were flying high and all he could do was talk about how great it'd be to not go down. And we went from a side that dismantled high-flying Blackburn 3-0 and didn't give them a sniff to playing for a 0-0 every week and putting 10 men behind the ball when winning or even often drawing with 30 mins to go, leading to collapses such as QPR (H) and Sunderland (A). Not to mention talking down on the squad he has at his disposal (other than his precious son of course). His mentality has been nothing but detrimental to our predicament, no doubt about it

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Apr 2023 04:53

East Ding Divvy
RoyalBlue

This, this, this, this. We were flying high and all he could do was talk about how great it'd be to not go down. And we went from a side that dismantled high-flying Blackburn 3-0 and didn't give them a sniff to playing for a 0-0 every week and putting 10 men behind the ball when winning or even often drawing with 30 mins to go, leading to collapses such as QPR (H) and Sunderland (A). Not to mention talking down on the squad he has at his disposal (other than his precious son of course). His mentality has been nothing but detrimental to our predicament, no doubt about it

I don’t totally disagree with this but it’s easy to say after the event. We got some good results at the beginning of the season but that was probably due to it being at a time when teams were still finding their feet. We were in a false position near the top of the table and let’s face it we’ve have been garbage for years now. The reality is that any club that’s been on a downward spiral for so long isn’t likely to improve under a transfer embargo and when they can only sign players no one else wants.

Tactically, Ince has been inept but I think it’s time for recriminations at the end of the season and now we need to support Ince and the players for the last 7 games.

East Ding Divvy

by East Ding Divvy » 05 Apr 2023 12:19

blythspartan
East Ding Divvy
RoyalBlue

I don’t totally disagree with this but it’s easy to say after the event. We got some good results at the beginning of the season but that was probably due to it being at a time when teams were still finding their feet. We were in a false position near the top of the table and let’s face it we’ve have been garbage for years now. The reality is that any club that’s been on a downward spiral for so long isn’t likely to improve under a transfer embargo and when they can only sign players no one else wants.

Tactically, Ince has been inept but I think it’s time for recriminations at the end of the season and now we need to support Ince and the players for the last 7 games.

I was saying this during the event, was irritating to hear any talk of a decent position finish shut down by Ince in every interview. But as for the rest I completely agree, time to get behind them. Until we go 4 down on Friday. Then its chair slam time!

1204 posts