Ince out!

1204 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ince out!

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Mar 2022 18:44

I'd honestly it rather be someone whose stock is not falling, such as Karanka, even if he is proven at this level. I don't think Monk would be bad, I don't think he's done a poor job anywhere he's been really under different circumstances and he's fairly experienced at this level, so that would be a relatively sensible appointment, even if it only lasted 12 months.

I've seen Woodgate's name mentioned amongst bookies, that's something I'd be in favour of. I wouldn't even be against an odd ball from abroad. It might be an unpopular choice, but it's proven to be a successful strategy for clubs. Farke, Wagner, Stam, Ismail at Barnsley, even Pauno last season etc. I can fully understand why we would want an experienced, stable manager who knows this division of course, but providing we get a manager whose ideas and philosophy can work in the Championship, I don't mind that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2022 20:55

Hound I’d have Meite in the starting 11 every single time unless there was a very good reason not to. Neither Ince or Hoilett is that

I can’t see why Ince couldn’t swap to the left wing if necessary anyway. Got a bit sick of him constantly cutting inside, would rather him go outside and swing some crosses in tbh

Yeah, could easily move him left or central.

Tbh, could have taken him, Swift, Hoilett or Drinkwater off for Meite. Meite really should have come on much much sooner.

I'd have a fully fit Meite starting over Ince or Hoilett, but I don’t think he looks match fit yet. But, he's not going to get there on 7 minute cameos.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Mar 2022 21:03

Snowflake Royal
Hound I’d have Meite in the starting 11 every single time unless there was a very good reason not to. Neither Ince or Hoilett is that

I can’t see why Ince couldn’t swap to the left wing if necessary anyway. Got a bit sick of him constantly cutting inside, would rather him go outside and swing some crosses in tbh

Yeah, could easily move him left or central.

Tbh, could have taken him, Swift, Hoilett or Drinkwater off for Meite. Meite really should have come on much much sooner.

I'd have a fully fit Meite starting over Ince or Hoilett, but I don’t think he looks match fit yet. But, he's not going to get there on 7 minute cameos.

I guess that's why he's been getting u23 mins. Would have still given him 20 mins on Saturday.

Still needs his minutes managed after such a long injury.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2022 21:22

He’s been back for a while now and played is it 3*90m in the u23, started a game for us about a month ago, and had other sub appearances on top

He’s been back training since the start of the year pretty much

Seriously he must be ready to start or at least play a half with confidence.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Mar 2022 21:56

The fact Meite isn’t starting is a joke, the fact he’s getting minimal time off the bench is indefensible. Ince is another clueless clown I’m afraid. He talks a good game but come the match is basically Pauno’s twin. No idea why his substitutes are so late and so mediocre. You’re losing at home chap, you really think it’s on such a knife edge that 2-0 is as possible as brining it back? Negative fcuk. Fcuking go for it you pcunt.

He’s here for the season let’s face it, we can only rely on other teams being shitter than us because this pcunt picking his kid isn’t going to do much.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2022 22:04

Hound He’s been back for a while now and played is it 3*90m in the u23, started a game for us about a month ago, and had other sub appearances on top

He’s been back training since the start of the year pretty much

Seriously he must be ready to start or at least play a half with confidence.

And when he started, he didn’t look remotely match fit. Very obviously rushed back by Paunovic. Not that that excuses bringing him on so late.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Mar 2022 23:05

I think Tom Ince has been decent since he's come in. But yes its criminal that Meite isn't playing more. Surely its time Hoilett got a rest and we play Ince, Swift, Meite and Joao up top.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Mar 2022 23:26

Royal_jimmy I think Tom Ince has been decent since he's come in. But yes its criminal that Meite isn't playing more. Surely its time Hoilett got a rest and we play Ince, Swift, Meite and Joao up top.

Ince has no end product.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Mar 2022 00:06

Some observations:

That was Ince’s first game in charge as far as I’m concerned. I don’t hold him responsible for the Blackpool defeat anymore than I do the Birmingham win.

I’ll defend Tom Ince a little . He works hard and has stamina ( unlike several in our side ) and whilst it’s fair to say his end product is erratic , I still think he was responsible for 2 of the only 3 attempts on goal we managed to muster .

As much as we’re crying out for a fully fit Meite, whether people like it or not , we’re a far better side with Ejaria in the side .

As much as the piss taking of PTR wrt Meite’s return it’s worth considering that he’s not going to be the player he was pre injury until next season . Can’t see any excuse for not using him off the bench earlier on Saturday but we can’t expect him to be at his best level all game , every game just yet .

Man for man V Zonal at set pieces makes no difference if you don’t do your job . Too many dont . Holmes actually managed to lose Cooper twice for their goal .

Saying our defence was better because of the few chances Millwall had is ignoring the fact that they barely bothered to muster an attack after they scored .

We ( be included ) kept saying that anyone other than Pauno would be an improvement but the evidence of yesterday throws that into doubt .

In terms of the squad , we’re probably just the first choice left back and perhaps Lauren ( tho everyone seemed to want him out of the side prior to his injury ) in terms of the best 11 being available.

It may be time for everyone to accept that actually this lot are not the team people keep saying they are and that actually we aren’t far off where we should be .

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Mar 2022 09:52

Vision Some observations:

It may be time for everyone to accept that actually this lot are not the team people keep saying they are and that actually we aren’t far off where we should be .

I am starting to think this as we have had several managers none of whom have really been able to improve us as a team but tbf it’s way too early to form any opinions about Ince.

I can’t remember the last time we snatched a late winner or equaliser. Therefore, you have to question the fitness and mentality of the players. It’s looking like we have an expensive bunch of misfits. Oh for the days of 3-2 comebacks away to Bristol City and kitchen sinks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2022 10:26

blythspartan

I am starting to think this as we have had several managers none of whom have really been able to improve us as a team but tbf it’s way too early to form any opinions about Ince.

I can’t remember the last time we snatched a late winner or equaliser. Therefore, you have to question the fitness and mentality of the players. It’s looking like we have an expensive bunch of misfits. Oh for the days of 3-2 comebacks away to Bristol City and kitchen sinks.

was thinking this earlier - we never look like getting a late equaliser either. We constantly just peter out at the end of games. On saturday we looked less likely to score in the last 15m than any other time in the game

I think we had a little spell of getting quite a few later winners etc under Gomes wasn't it - Wigan, Ipswich spring to mind. maybe a few under Bowen as well

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Mar 2022 11:07

Royal_jimmy I think Tom Ince has been decent since he's come in. But yes its criminal that Meite isn't playing more. Surely its time Hoilett got a rest and we play Ince, Swift, Meite and Joao up top.

I agree. I think Tom Ince is now getting the stick because of his dad. Paul Ince's appointment was bad for both of them. Had Paul Ince not been manager I reckon a lot more supporters would be taking a proper objective view of Tom Ince and his performances.

Mick Gooding felt Tom Ince was far from being our worst player on Saturday, a view with which I concur. His work rate was really good and he showed some great skill, often beating his man. Unfortunately, like others in our team, his final touch/pass/shot was lacking.

As Gooding suggested, Meite should have been brought on to play on the right and Tom Ince switched to the left to replace Hoillet.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Mar 2022 11:10

Also don't think TInce played that badly. As previously mentioned, had a couple of decent attempts in the first half and always looked to try and do something in the second, even if nothing really came of it.

There was one moment in the second half where he made an excellent attempt to try and close down the defenders/keeper, but wasn't helped at all by anyone else.

Agree with the above that Meite should've come on for Hoilett and switched sides with Ince.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Mar 2022 11:50

Agree with the Tince - not bad, just a difficult situation for him and dad. I don't rate him much though, lightweight with little end product.

I've knocked Pince above and elsewhere but in fairness going 4-4-2 wasn't terrible at all and for me better than sticking 451 but with Meite on the right. We've knocked Pauno for months for rarely putting two up front. The main issue is how long it took to do. 5mins of anything when we're losing at home and desperate for points is just not acceptable. And 23seconds of Dann on to go up front - **** off.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Mar 2022 12:02

I do think it should happen quicker. I think P Ince may have been wary of the Blackpool game however, where we throw a bit more at it and end up very stretched defensively and end up shipping goals. Even though I think, our defence has improved since P Ince arrived (taking context into the Blackpool game where we were pushing at the end and were left very exposed when they scored 2 late goals), so I do think that's a slight positive to take from his first 3 games.

But it was the Millwall game at home last year which sticks out like a sore thumb for me. I remember Millwall being 1-0 down and they brought on Matt Smith, Mason Bennett and Tom Bradshaw all before the 75th minute, 2 of them coming on by the hour mark. Rowett made attacking changes and it worked in this case, their brave approach was the difference for them in that game. We've got plenty of attacking options on the bench now. Why not take Yiadom off, bring Meite on and then go 3-5-2, but with wingers as opposed to full backs when we are losing? Yes, it leaves us exposed but it leaves us with attacking players on the pitch nonetheless that the opposition will have to factor in when they are dropping deeper as the game goes on. Take the game to the opposition and be brave.

Maybe there was a reason as to why these players were brought on later, but it can't be happening forever.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Mar 2022 12:08

Just get behind the team lads. 4 wins, we need 4 wins, back them for that.

And why oh why do we have to continually turn hate towards a player.... every time its someone. Ince chased and chased on Saturday, he was committed, didnt pay off for him, but he looked like he wanted to make a difference.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Mar 2022 12:11

paultheroyal Just get behind the team lads. 4 wins, we need 4 wins, back them for that.

And why oh why do we have to continually turn hate towards a player.... every time its someone. Ince chased and chased on Saturday, he was committed, didnt pay off for him, but he looked like he wanted to make a difference.

It's not for the want of trying, but I just don't see what he brings that's better than what Meite brings to the team. Just seems like an average player who starts on the right and cuts in to his stronger left foot when he gets it out wide. If he played every minute in a 46 game season, he'd probably range from 10-12 goal involvements I'd reckon. Not bad, good player to have in the squad, but not setting the world alight.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Mar 2022 12:13

As much as we’re crying out for a fully fit Meite, whether people like it or not , we’re a far better side with Ejaria in the side .

Man for man V Zonal at set pieces makes no difference if you don’t do your job . Too many dont . Holmes actually managed to lose Cooper twice for their goal

We ( be included ) kept saying that anyone other than Pauno would be an improvement but the evidence of yesterday throws that into doubt .

In terms of the squad , we’re probably just the first choice left back and perhaps Lauren ( tho everyone seemed to want him out of the side prior to his injury ) in terms of the best 11 being available.

Just don’t think there’s much substance to the first point. This side has pretty much been as poor with/without Ejaria since February now. Certainly not to an extent of “far better side” with him in it. Accept he may have become an unnecessary scapegoat but I doubt much would have changed with him in the side

Agreed with the second point. Zonal marking has never been my preference but it’s fair to say it really wasn’t the problem considering the number of normal crosses we concede. Holmes in particular, even playing at RB last season was constantly found flat footed and it’s an area he hasn’t improved on this season. He needs serious coaching on aerials to make it as a Championship defender. No disgrace losing a header to Cooper but it’s been time and time again this season

Maybe some truth behind the third point but find it hard to comprehend that this team (withstanding points deductions) should be in the bottom three. There’s a serious lack of coaching in this team and it’s shown

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 07 Mar 2022 12:27

Millsy Agree with the Tince - not bad, just a difficult situation for him and dad. I don't rate him much though, lightweight with little end product.

I've knocked Pince above and elsewhere but in fairness going 4-4-2 wasn't terrible at all and for me better than sticking 451 but with Meite on the right. We've knocked Pauno for months for rarely putting two up front. The main issue is how long it took to do. 5mins of anything when we're losing at home and desperate for points is just not acceptable. And 23seconds of Dann on to go up front - **** off.

^This. 1-0 down. Not creating chances for your two top scorers, on the 60th min, bring on Meite and Ejaria for Hoilett and Ince. It was an obvious easy switch to give new energy to the team and the fans. I've nothing against Ince or Hoilett. We just need to see the changes MUCH sooner, if for nothing else, it gives everyone a lift. That loss is firmly with the management for me. Clueless (and Gilkes comment about 'in hindsight', hindsight? Everyone could see it needed to happen but the management).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Mar 2022 12:32

URZZZZ

Man for man V Zonal at set pieces makes no difference if you don’t do your job . Too many dont . Holmes actually managed to lose Cooper twice for their goal

Just don’t think there’s much substance to the first point. This side has pretty much been as poor with/without Ejaria since February now. Certainly not to an extent of “far better side” with him in it. Accept he may have become an unnecessary scapegoat but I doubt much would have changed with him in the side

Agreed with the second point. Zonal marking has never been my preference but it’s fair to say it really wasn’t the problem considering the number of normal crosses we concede. Holmes in particular, even playing at RB last season was constantly found flat footed and it’s an area he hasn’t improved on this season. He needs serious coaching on aerials to make it as a Championship defender. No disgrace losing a header to Cooper but it’s been time and time again this season

Maybe some truth behind the third point but find it hard to comprehend that this team (withstanding points deductions) should be in the bottom three. There’s a serious lack of coaching in this team and it’s shown

Agree. Although Ejaria seemed to be more positive and up tempo in his cameo.

If PInce can get him looking up and playing quicker rather than looking at his feet and shuffling along slowly, he could make a huge difference.

But carrying on as he has been, I don't think he's better defensively than Hoilett, he slows the game down more than Hoilett, his record of goal contributions is no better than Hoilett... so his only positive there is ball retention. We don't really need that, we need goals and defensive organisation.

1204 posts