Ince out!

1204 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ince out!

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Feb 2023 11:51

Bowen 37% at Reading in 43 games

Holloway 32% at QPR in 80 games 28% at Grimsby in 49 games.

Bowen 0% for doing a runner when the going got tough, Holloway 50%

Anyway, hindsight suggests we made the right decision. I think Bowen's input into the club in all capacities has been positive.

Not to denigrate Holloway but I doubt he was on the list of desired candidates, let alone way down it. Heis was probably filed in the same place as FM Kid.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Feb 2023 13:04

karbota
Ascotexgunner
Royal_jimmy 4 wins in 20. Not good enough. I can see Ince being under pressure if we don't beat Rotherham on Tuesday

Beyond sacking territory at 90% of clubs but who is out there that wants this gig? He certainly isn't the long term answer....especially when we want to spend money again.

Parkys Wrexham won again that's now 18 wins from 20, WTF are we waiting for? Premier clubs are scouting, he would jump at the chance to rejoin his home club. JM wake up use your wasta.

Not sure he’d want to come to us tbh. Wrexham have the potential to become a bigger club. Taking almost 5,000 fans to Sheffield United on a Tuesday night wasn’t too shoddy.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2023 13:15

Ascotexgunner
Royal_jimmy 4 wins in 20. Not good enough. I can see Ince being under pressure if we don't beat Rotherham on Tuesday

Beyond sacking territory at 90% of clubs but who is out there that wants this gig? He certainly isn't the long term answer....especially when we want to spend money again.

I'll say it again - over a 10 game form table, we are 11th in the division - 11th.

The run is skewed by the run that we all called horribly diffcult in October.

We are not playing great at mo and no win in 6 is the immediate concern but can we please start to put a bit of fcuking context around things.

If it is 4 wins (or poss even just 5) out of 23 after the Blackpool game then fair enough, I'll likely be on the make a change train with many others but we are probably still ahead of where we thought we would be but need to ensure this slide over the last 6 games (not 20) is not a terminal one - we'll end this run one of two ways in my book - top half again or right in the shit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2023 14:19

My biggest gripe at the moment is that I really don't want to finish below 16th yet again.

That just feels like we're spinning our wheels going nowhere.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2023 14:25

Snowflake Royal My biggest gripe at the moment is that I really don't want to finish below 16th yet again.

Tbf going nowhere is the height of our ambition this year

I am encouraged by events off the field where good progress seems to be made. Experienced Appointments in sensible positions, I like the look of the u21 team (CBC, Abbey, Senga, Leavy, Scott, Ehib, both Clarkes, Camara all May have 1st team potential), right noises about future signings

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2023 14:35

Hound
Snowflake Royal My biggest gripe at the moment is that I really don't want to finish below 16th yet again.

I am encouraged by events off the field where good progress seems to be made. Experienced Appointments in sensible positions, I like the look of the u21 team (CBC, Abbey, Senga, Leavy, Scott, Ehib, both Clarkes, Camara all May have 1st team potential), right noises about future signings

Very much this - my realistic target for this year was to get to a place where come Easter Monday - we have absolutely no worries of going down and as an absolute bonus a small, even very small chance of getting top 10 (and whilst likely needing a miracle a small chance at a run at the play-offs).

Despite all the doom and gloom of late, we are actually still on track to achieve the former - and I couldn't care less what number goes against the team as long as it isn't 22, 23 or 24. Next year is when I will be looking for progress.

This is the most short term period in the club's history and in my mind rightly so given the mismanagement of the last few years. Naturally the earlier we are guaranteed to be a Champ club the sooner we can look to make positive transfer moves in the summer.

Fezza

by Fezza » 14 Feb 2023 14:42

Stranded
Hound

Very much this - my realistic target for this year was to get to a place where come Easter Monday - we have absolutely no worries of going down and as an absolute bonus a small, even very small chance of getting top 10 (and whilst likely needing a miracle a small chance at a run at the play-offs).

Despite all the doom and gloom of late, we are actually still on track to achieve the former - and I couldn't care less what number goes against the team as long as it isn't 22, 23 or 24. Next year is when I will be looking for progress.

This is the most short term period in the club's history and in my mind rightly so given the mismanagement of the last few years. Naturally the earlier we are guaranteed to be a Champ club the sooner we can look to make positive transfer moves in the summer.

This 100%. I don't get the clamour for change when he's performing well above expectations.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2023 14:55

Fezza
Stranded
Hound

This 100%. I don't get the clamour for change when he's performing well above expectations.

It's the endless cycle of a need for instant gratification and another season where we started well but have regressed to mean.

People forget that we started well because of who we played - arguably we should have started better given we played some of the absolute dross at the beginning of the season and picked up points accordingly.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Feb 2023 15:25

Fezza
Stranded
Hound

I don't really get the comments behind "I can't see him being the answer in the long-term". But doesn't that depend on what the, proverbial, question is?

If the question is, will Ince be the manager to take us up? Then the answer probably is no because I reckon that will take us years to get to that point. When you look at QPR and Birmingham who have been stung with FFP and remain in the division, neither of them are any closer to going up now than what they were 5 years ago, so a bit of realism might suggest that it could be the very long-term (5+ years) before we can sustain a promotion/play off chase, unless we get things absolutely dead on. If that was to be the case, then I wouldn't expect Ince (or any manager for that matter) to be in charge come then, as not many managers at this level will last 5 years.

If the question is, more appropriately, can Ince take us to a better level and leave us is a far better place than what he came into and make us a steady, stable Championship team/club, then yes I believe he will be the answer. I believe he can set the long-term culture of the club on the field, along with the improving off-the-field staff like Bowen, Carey and co. There will be bumps along the way, like with our current form now, but I can certainly see Ince taking us into a stable, mid-table position within the next couple of years.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 14 Feb 2023 15:30

he's the 7th longest serving manager in the championship, 5 days shy of a calendar year (19th Feb 22) in a world where the lifespan of a manager is less than a year, what would be the point in getting rid of Ince now. The new man will be (statistically) gone by this time next year too.

I would much prefer a manager who has a complete understanding of the limitations of his team and where to improve it, to be the one who goes into the transfer window, a window with the shackles off. Rather than getting rid of ince now, a new guy comes in and only has 3 months to get to know everything about the cub and his players.

He deserves a window or two to bring in some players he wants, and to forge a formation he wants to play, not what he's been forced to play with a team of old has-beens and never were's. Only then if we are still doing shit, fine we can look for someone else.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2023 17:40

Stranded
Fezza
Stranded

It's the endless cycle of a need for instant gratification and another season where we started well but have regressed to mean.

People forget that we started well because of who we played - arguably we should have started better given we played some of the absolute dross at the beginning of the season and picked up points accordingly.

It's got nothing to do with instant gratification. It's about seeing change and improvement and a possible better tomorrow. Not all the same problems and patterns repeated endlessly.

We're still seeing the team performing under the level it has shown itself capable of, with questionable substitutions and team selection, youth chance being stifled, serial poor performers being relied upon, a passive approach to games. With a downward direction of travel through the season.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 14 Feb 2023 19:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Notts Royal To me it’s pretty clear cut - keep him til the end of the season & then dispense with. Yes he’s done a reasonable job with the hand he’s been dealt with. But then his team selections are really poor, so I don’t think I’d trust him with his own players simply because he puts square pegs into round holes needlessly

He's not had much options though and I'm sure outside of restrictions we would look against "square pegs in round holes".

So why’s he playing Yiadom at centre back when we have other fit centre backs?

Fezza

by Fezza » 14 Feb 2023 19:57

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Fezza

It's got nothing to do with instant gratification. It's about seeing change and improvement and a possible better tomorrow. Not all the same problems and patterns repeated endlessly.

We're still seeing the team performing under the level it has shown itself capable of, with questionable substitutions and team selection, youth chance being stifled, serial poor performers being relied upon, a passive approach to games. With a downward direction of travel through the season.

If he was sacked out only decent player, his son, would likely down tools. This would see us relegated. He’s done an excellent job with very very limited resources, and a shocking record of injuries.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 14 Feb 2023 20:48

Stranded
Ascotexgunner

I'll say it again - over a 10 game form table, we are 11th in the division - 11th.

The run is skewed by the run that we all called horribly diffcult in October.

We are not playing great at mo and no win in 6 is the immediate concern but can we please start to put a bit of fcuking context around things.

If it is 4 wins (or poss even just 5) out of 23 after the Blackpool game then fair enough, I'll likely be on the make a change train with many others but we are probably still ahead of where we thought we would be but need to ensure this slide over the last 6 games (not 20) is not a terminal one - we'll end this run one of two ways in my book - top half again or right in the shit.

I agree

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 14 Feb 2023 21:33

Those calling for his head are a touch deluded. Let’s get to the end of the season, see how the tail-end plays out.

We can then see what platform Bowen has to work with. He’ll have a better idea of who he can bring in, who will go, and which manager will get the most out of the players (and is willing to come here).

If you think we’re tanking, take a look at QPR.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2023 21:35

Fezza
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

If he was sacked out only decent player, his son, would likely down tools. This would see us relegated. He’s done an excellent job with very very limited resources, and a shocking record of injuries.

Never said he should be sacked.

Fezza

by Fezza » 14 Feb 2023 22:06

Snowflake Royal
Fezza
Snowflake Royal It's got nothing to do with instant gratification. It's about seeing change and improvement and a possible better tomorrow. Not all the same problems and patterns repeated endlessly.

Never said he should be sacked.

Others have

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Feb 2023 22:09

I have a feeling that second half tonight saved Ince his job

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Feb 2023 22:10

Ince IN!

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 14 Feb 2023 22:12

Tails Those calling for his head are a touch deluded. Let’s get to the end of the season, see how the tail-end plays out.

We can then see what platform Bowen has to work with. He’ll have a better idea of who he can bring in, who will go, and which manager will get the most out of the players (and is willing to come here).

If you think we’re tanking, take a look at QPR.

I like Ince as a person and for the changes he has made behind the scenes, however, as a manager i still feel he is tactically inept and to play 5-3-2 and the same team again from the start tonight totally proved this point.

Ince got lucky tonight with Baba's injury and when he finally made the necessary changes by bringing on Forah, Azeez and NGW whom we have all been calling for then we actually started to look like a football team!!

The three subs changed the game, Azeez and NGW caused havoc down the left and Azeez picked out Carroll for two assists and Forah got the winner!!

Come on Paul, tonight may just save your managerial job if you learn from this and trust in the players to play in their natural positions!!

1204 posts