BFTG - Brum

124 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Brum

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Feb 2022 22:50

A lot to take in from that game.

First the negatives.
Brum should have scored a lot more, there were chunks of both halves where they were cutting us open so easily, getting it out wide and putting really dangerous balls across the box. Terrible kicking out from Hein and Holmes a lumbering liability on the deck and when they ran in behind. Ref absolutely bottling sending off their defender early in the second half :cry:

Positives.
Hein was solid, and Holmes was imperious in the air. And end to the zonal marking and not always having all 11 in the box was very welcome. And in the second half we stopped dicking about at the back so much. And for once a HT team talk seemed to make decent changes and get us to step up. More of that please!

Highlights.
Rino easily MotM for me, Swift was also great, as were Hoilet and Ince in fits and spurts. Good to see TMac back in defence

7 from 9, onwards and upwards. Well two more winnable games until we hit a difficult run, so hopefully we can get another 4-6 from Blackpool and Millwall

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Brum

by Royalwaster » 22 Feb 2022 23:09

How can you not mention the big positive of Joao having found his goal scoring form again - thought his goal was beautifully taken once again ...

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Feb 2022 23:19

Royalwaster How can you not mention the big positive of Joao having found his goal scoring form again - thought his goal was beautifully taken once again ...

Yeah the second he turned onto his right foot you just knew there was only one outcome

Nice to have that feeling back :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2022 23:25

Royalwaster How can you not mention the big positive of Joao having found his goal scoring form again - thought his goal was beautifully taken once again ...

Beautifully stroked into the corner.
5 goals since he got back in the first XI 7 games ago.

And he's not even at his best yet.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 22 Feb 2022 23:25

How we went in at half time level escapes me, made it too easy to split the full back/centre half and pull the ball back along the box. Thought Henandez and Taylor completely bossed the first half.

Second half we came out, pushed swift further forward and showed what we can do when we get players around Joao. Held up the ball well today and brought other players in.

Positives:
3 points
TMc back and Yiadom - thought had good games after coming through a tough first half
Rino/Swift/Joao could easily be MOTM. Thought drinkwater had a good came too.

Still mixing up zonal/man marking, but felt the mix was much better today. Morrison really commands that back 4.

-ve’s
Stop messing around in the back line, dodgy clearances and lack of confidence nearly cost us
Holmes needs the confidence on the deck, he controls arial duels
Hein - distribution?!?

Great to see another 3 points and the crowd seemed to want to get behind the team tonight

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Feb 2022 23:32

First Reading game that I've attended in person since October, glad to be back and watching a team that have a bit of fight and passion in them again. I'll reserve judgement on Ince as a long term appointment until we have played a few more games but you can tell right away that he is a decent short term appointment.

Few quick thoughts:

Hein doesn't fill me with confidence, thought he was badly at fault with their goal and his kicking is atrocious.

Danny Drinkwater looked like a different player, you can tell Ince has had a word and asked for more. Drinkwater delivered tonight.

Not entirely sure what Tom Ince brings the side? Hopefully Meite will come in on Saturday but it will be for Hoilett and not Tom Ince for obvious reasons.

Joao wanted it tonight, he's hungry for goals.

Onel Hernandez for Birmingham is some player, unplayable at times in the first half.

Whoever the bellend was who threw the ball on the pitch in the build up to Birmingham's goal you can get fcuked.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 22 Feb 2022 23:44

:D 8
Snowflake Royal

Beautifully stroked into the corner.
5 goals since he got back in the first XI 7 games ago.

And he's not even at his best yet.

Did you see it live?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Feb 2022 23:44

We weren't at our best tonight but ground out a win which was pleasing. Birmingham should feel a bit hard done by not to have got a point out of it having the chances they had. But it's about results and I dont care about performances if we're picking points up. We need wins, we've had 2 in a row and we need maybe another 5 wins to be almost assured of safety.

Swift MoM.

Birmingham were a tidy side considering their injury list. If they had more quality up front they would have won that tonight. Very lucky not to be losing at HT. Chuffed with 3 points, let's hope Millwall do us a massive favour tomorrow.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Feb 2022 23:47

NathStPaul First Reading game that I've attended in person since October

Plastic

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Feb 2022 23:50

RG30
NathStPaul First Reading game that I've attended in person since October

Plastic

Sensible.

The club under Paunovic didn't deserve mine or anyone else's support. Said I'd go back as soon as he went and I kept my word.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Feb 2022 00:09

Wish people would get off Hein’s back. Kicking will improve but he made 3 quality saves tonight when easier to score and he was needed for them crossed and took them out. Unlucky on goal conceded.

Great win, great feeling, let’s win the next 2 and reel in Hull City.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Feb 2022 00:10

C1871 outstanding tonight, best yet and got the east stand going. Well done.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Feb 2022 00:13

paultheroyal C1871 outstanding tonight, best yet and got the east stand going. Well done.

The bellends in C1871 repeatedly tried to charge at the Birmingham supporters and hid behind the stewards. It was embarrassing.

Y26 lobbed a ball on the pitch which distracted our own players leading to a goal. Wonderful support.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Feb 2022 00:17

paultheroyal Wish people would get off Hein’s back. Kicking will improve but he made 3 quality saves tonight when easier to score and he was needed for them crossed and took them out. Unlucky on goal conceded.

Yeah people really need to get over the fact that they don't think he was necessary ( FWIW I'm one of them)

His kicking isn't great and he's prone to flap at the odd cross but he makes vital stops and he's a big target on One-On-Ones.

He looked like a rabbit in the headlights at Ashton Gate but he's been perfectly decent since then.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Feb 2022 00:22

Thought McIntyre was excellent. Calm, assured on the ball out. Had a couple of moments but great to see him back.

Heins kicking was :shock: and I’d need to see their goal again. Wasn’t sure about his positioning.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 23 Feb 2022 00:39

Vision
paultheroyal Wish people would get off Hein’s back. Kicking will improve but he made 3 quality saves tonight when easier to score and he was needed for them crossed and took them out. Unlucky on goal conceded.

Yeah people really need to get over the fact that they don't think he was necessary ( FWIW I'm one of them)

His kicking isn't great and he's prone to flap at the odd cross but he makes vital stops and he's a big target on One-On-Ones.

He looked like a rabbit in the headlights at Ashton Gate but he's been perfectly decent since then.

He has let in 8 in 5, was at fault for their goal with yet another flap, he can’t kick it out for Oxf**rd and was lucky that he didn’t cost us two points! He made some really decent saves but the other areas of his game will cost us points before the end of the season. If Southwood or Rafael let that goal in, they get slaughtered. Just because we’re picking up form doesn’t mean we should make him out to be the second coming of Shaka! He is a work in progress, who really shouldn’t be here.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Feb 2022 00:43

Hopefully Rahman's injury isn't too bad, if we can get him back and shift McIntyre to centre back instead of Holmes, that would be fantastic.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2022 00:48

Thought we were very lucky to win. However a win is a win and it’s nice for the luck to go our way.
Swift clearly MoTM for me. With Yids a good second and Joao also impressive.
However we still struggle to make it more difficult for our opponents to get the ball out wide from where crosses are pinged into the box.

Thought Brum were decent and they will rue the numerous chances they failed to take.
Still as with Saturday we held in.Its been a very good week.

Now let’s beat Blsckpool

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2022 00:50

Kitsondinho
Vision

He has let in 8 in 5, was at fault for their goal with yet another flap, he can’t kick it out for Oxf**rd and was lucky that he didn’t cost us two points! He made some really decent saves but the other areas of his game will cost us points before the end of the season. If Southwood or Rafael let that goal in, they get slaughtered. Just because we’re picking up form doesn’t mean we should make him out to be the second coming of Shaka! He is a work in progress, who really shouldn’t be here.

1000% agreed. His distribution is the worst I have seen from a Reading keeper and he was badly at fault for their goal. He did make some decent saves but no way is he an upgrade in Southwood.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Feb 2022 00:53

tidus_mi2 Hopefully Rahman's injury isn't too bad, if we can get him back and shift McIntyre to centre back instead of Holmes, that would be fantastic.

He’s out for six weeks. Suspect we’ll be finding a stand in replacement.

124 posts