If you could go back in time and change 1 result...

PATRIQT

Re: If you could go back in time and change 1 result...

by PATRIQT » 23 Feb 2022 12:59

Play-off final 1995. If Archie scores that penalty, the game is over half way through the first half.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Feb 2022 13:02

I wouldn't change the result but in either of the Fulham defeats in our relegation season, I would have just got the team not to go gung ho in the last minute for an equaliser as both lead to us conceding again late. Not conceding those late goals, would have kept us up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2022 14:37

Hendo ... which one would you go for?

Bolton Play-Off Final?
Huddersfield Play-Off Final?
Blackburn (a) to get into Europe?
Birmingham (h) to get into autos?

Or something else?

For me, I think it has to be FA Cup semi v Arsenal. To see Reading in an FA Cup Final has been a dream for as long as I can remember and we might've had a shot against Villa.

Birmingham (h)

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Feb 2022 16:01

Snowflake Royal Birmingham (h)

Hahnemann cost us dearly

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Feb 2022 16:05

Definitely Fulham at home in 08. Our best ever chance to get an extended PL run and we were poor that day.

Huddersfield in 17 would not have made a big difference in my opinion. We'd have spent the money poorly, been humiliated and got relegated, spent more money poorly with the parachute payments and probably be a mediocre mid table team with a massive wage bill right now. Maybe the reckoning would be a further 3 or 4 years off, but end result would have been the same. The owners needed this season to learn their lesson.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Feb 2022 16:12

Aside from the playoff games etc etc - Fulham away back in 2015 completely killed our season. More specifically, the 11 minutes where we went from 2-0 up to 3-2 down

We had the foundations of a very good squad that season with Vydra, Sa, Blackman (on fire), Norwood, Tshibola, Quinn etc etc and that period from August - October was some of the best football we’d played in a while

We never recovered past that game and then there was the Clarke to Fulham scandal which further accelerated the fall. Shame because I think Clarke could have built something successful here

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Feb 2022 16:15

In 95, I don't think we had the I frastructure to survive, in 17, we would have pissed the money up a wall.

I think 2008 was the opportunity to actually establish ourselves before Citeh took the financing to another level and IIRC, we'd been given planning permission to expand the stadium to 35,000. I think it was a proper sliding doors moment.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Feb 2022 16:18

From Despair To Where? Either of the 2-0 home defeats to Bolton or Fulham in 2007/08. A draw in either would have kept us up.

This. Another year in the top flight, likely considerable recruitment, probably our best chance to actually consolidate ourselves up there for an extended spell.

Bolton po final was too soon.

I’m completely over the Rougier final, in the long run it didn’t matter much.

Swansea would probably have made no difference. If anything we would have been worse without the Zingarevich “money”.

Don’t care about the FA Cup.

Huddersfield is the only other contender for me, that was a great opportunity. Maybe qualifying for the playoffs under Adkins, but we’d probably have lost.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 23 Feb 2022 16:31

Bolton play off 1995. Hands down that's been going at me since the age of almost 6. Perhaps the Cardiff play off final as well, but I'm not sure that would have helped my fear of heights, as I was in the rafters that afternoon holding on for dear life.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Feb 2022 16:33

I think both the Walsall and Swansea play-offs, while they hurt hugely at the time, are somewhat softened by the fact we got promoted automatically the next year.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Feb 2022 17:15

From Despair To Where? In 95, I don't think we had the I frastructure to survive, in 17, we would have pissed the money up a wall.

I think 2008 was the opportunity to actually establish ourselves before Citeh took the financing to another level and IIRC, we'd been given planning permission to expand the stadium to 35,000. I think it was a proper sliding doors moment.

This.

So for a single game, that last one against Derby; a 7-0 win and history is different.................

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2022 17:29

Mr Angry
From Despair To Where? In 95, I don't think we had the I frastructure to survive, in 17, we would have pissed the money up a wall.

This.

So for a single game, that last one against Derby; a 7-0 win and history is different.................

Yeah, this is a good call, but fits better in terms of going and having a quiet word with Coppell in preseason to sort out the recruitment better.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Feb 2022 17:40

I’d go back to the trip to Derby in 2008 and make it a 7-0 win with the goal that sends Fulham down arriving with the last kick of the game.

Stay up, learn from mistakes and be famed for the manner of survival.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Feb 2022 18:05

Exactly this. Losing to Fulham was a hammer blow - and it could so easily have been avoided. If we'd just changed to 5 in midfield, shut up shop and ensured we got a draw we'd have stayed up - but SC wouldn't do it...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Feb 2022 18:05

Snowflake Royal
Mr Angry

This.

Yeah, this is a good call, but fits better in terms of going and having a quiet word with Coppell in preseason to sort out the recruitment better.

It wasn't for lack of trying. No-one would join us. Or no-one worth having, anyway...

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Feb 2022 18:09

Blackburn at home March 2008. It was a good 0-0 as we went down to 10 men. If only Stephen Hunt had scored right at the death.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2022 18:49

SCIAG
From Despair To Where? Either of the 2-0 home defeats to Bolton or Fulham in 2007/08. A draw in either would have kept us up.

This. Another year in the top flight, likely considerable recruitment, probably our best chance to actually consolidate ourselves up there for an extended spell.

Bolton po final was too soon.

I’m completely over the Rougier final, in the long run it didn’t matter much.

Swansea would probably have made no difference. If anything we would have been worse without the Zingarevich “money”.

Don’t care about the FA Cup.

Huddersfield is the only other contender for me, that was a great opportunity. Maybe qualifying for the playoffs under Adkins, but we’d probably have lost.

We had some serious quality in that 94/95 side and had we gone up our playing style would have suited the top flight. We could have kept hold of the likes of Hislop and Osborn and give it a decent go. Admittedly playing at Elm Park would have limited us though.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 23 Feb 2022 19:14

Bolton Play off final, as someone stated would of been too early as we'd only just come up. Has to be Arsenal, at Wembley , on telly, place in the final. We will never know.....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Feb 2022 19:43

I’d quite like to change this season’s home result against Fulham....

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Feb 2022 20:16

Man City vs Fulham 2008.
City hold on to win