124 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Your worst 11 since supporting RFC?

by South Coast Royal » 04 Mar 2022 17:03

karbota
South Coast Royal
karbota
I will again remind you of your inaccurate fake post above. Please can you post an apology asap.

Apology not needed.
The last time I looked the following were non-league:-
Northwich Victoria
Southall
Henley Town
Mangotsfield
Hounslow
Bitton
Paulton
Rovers
Yate
Taunton
Truro

[b][u]And Bristol Rovers, Swindon Town, and Plymouth Argyle are cancelled ?? ???

If you bothered to read my earlier post I said that he was shipped off to Plymouth before moving off to non-league -hardly worth mentioning were the 33 games spread over nearly 3 seasons at Rovers and Swindon but clearly he didn't set the world alight there either.
Over his career he played many more games for non-league clubs than league clubs.

Coming back to his Reading career he was IMHO a failure and cost loads of money that we never got back either in terms of a future transfer fee nor in terms of decent performances on the pitch.
If he had come on a free then it wouldn't matter ,but he didn't.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Mar 2022 19:03

bakerlou
Dirk Gently
bakerlou Ollie Kearns scored goals now and then in Div 4 but he seemed to be a really poor player.

I can't have that - he was awkward and ungainly and didn't ever really seem to have the ball under control, but 40 goals in 75 + 11 league games is a decent return, and he was second-highest scorer when we went up in 1979.

But if you're trying to rule out someone because they look awkward and ungainly and didn't ever really seem to have the ball under control, you might as well nominate Trevor Senior...

I can accept all of those points - it's an age thing.

Hear me out: when I first started going I loved Richie Bowman, let's be fair, we all did. Kearns on the other hand was a baffling mix of useful but shite. I understood cheering for our best player Richie B, "that's what fans should do" I thought, but as a young boy, seeing grown laughing at the general incompetence of one of their own players was a brand new thing to me. It didn't matter that Kearns would score, his inability to do anything else, and not give a toss about it, and argue back at Reading fans giving him some verbals made him a joke figure of the South Bank, and I can't let that go, however respectable his goal tally might be. He was crap.

Ollie Kearns is an interesting one, his scoring record for us over a decent number of games is up there with anyone who's played for us.

Like Senior he had that knack of being there at the right place at the right time. Yes he did nothing for 85 mins and was not naturally gifted (indeed like Senior) but you really can't argue with the stats. As a teenager at the time I was one of the southbank who continually had a go/took the p1ss but was wrong.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 04 Mar 2022 21:01

South Coast Royal
karbota
South Coast Royal

Apology not needed.
Northwich Victoria
Southall
Henley Town
Mangotsfield
Hounslow
Bitton
Paulton
Rovers
Yate
Taunton
Truro

And Bristol Rovers, Swindon Town, and Plymouth Argyle are cancelled ?? ???

[b][u]If you bothered to read my earlier post I said that he was shipped off
to Plymouth before moving off to non-league -hardly worth mentioning were the 33 games spread over nearly 3 seasons at Rovers and Swindon but clearly he didn't set the world alight there either.
Over his career he played many more games for non-league clubs than league clubs.

Coming back to his Reading career he was IMHO a failure and cost loads of money that we never got back either in terms of a future transfer fee nor in terms of decent performances on the pitch.

But no mention of successful spells at Bristol Rovers, Swindon!. and fake reporting again Meaker is currently Coach at Taunton Town.
Quality lasts forever mate, played for a host of clubs and still playing at 50.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Mar 2022 20:17

karbota
South Coast Royal
karbota
Apology not needed.
Northwich Victoria
Southall
Henley Town
Mangotsfield
Hounslow
Bitton
Paulton
Rovers
Yate
Taunton
Truro

And Bristol Rovers, Swindon Town, and Plymouth Argyle are cancelled ?? ???

[b][u]If you bothered to read my earlier post I said that he was shipped off
to Plymouth before moving off to non-league -hardly worth mentioning were the 33 games spread over nearly 3 seasons at Rovers and Swindon but clearly he didn't set the world alight there either.

But no mention of successful spells at Bristol Rovers, Swindon!. and fake reporting again Meaker is currently Coach at Taunton Town.
Quality lasts forever mate, played for a host of clubs and still playing at 50.

Quality?
LOL.
Perhaps he has been able to play for so long because he jumped out of the way of tackles thereby avoiding injuries.
Are you sure you aren't him?

BTW you can see from other earlier posters that I am not alone in my view Michael.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2022 23:27

Bore off the pair of you. Vic, why are you engaging with the racist troll?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Apr 2022 14:43

Dave Edwards must feature

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 13 Apr 2022 22:47

Any team for worst players should always start with Colin Gordon, Nigel Vaughan, Mike Conroy and Keith Scott.
To make up the rest, just pick up a Ian Branfoot team sheet.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Apr 2022 00:36

oldebiscuit Any team for worst players should always start with Colin Gordon, Nigel Vaughan, Mike Conroy and Keith Scott.

You cannot serious about Colin Gordon ?
One performance atStamford Bridge exempts him from consideration....

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 14 Apr 2022 06:48

Nameless
oldebiscuit Any team for worst players should always start with Colin Gordon, Nigel Vaughan, Mike Conroy and Keith Scott.

Colin Gordon was a weird enigma. He looked the part of a Roy of The Rovers 80s centre forward, but his second touch was usually a tackle. Had a great scoring record at Swindon before joining us, but struggled really badly and was up against it from the start as he was replacing a terrace hero in Super Trev. His confidence just got shot to pieces, not helped by donkey chants from the South Bank. I remember Denny (Fullbrook) once telling me in the supporters club bar that he had been reduced to tears in the changing room because of the stick he’d received after one home game. It just went badly wrong for him with us and I felt sorry for him; I was there at Stamford Bridge for the league cup second leg game in the pissing rain, and it was by far the highlight of his time with us!
Last edited by Mr Optimist on 14 Apr 2022 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Apr 2022 10:55

Nameless

Keith Scott's Bradford goal also exempts him.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Apr 2022 20:08

Branfoot’s 13 win streak team beg to differ

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 14 Apr 2022 21:11

Simon Shepherd
Mark James Byron Glasgow
Michael Meaker
Lee Barkus Tom Ince Danny Drinkwater Mass Sarr

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 14 Apr 2022 22:10

Off the top of my head:

Federici
Araruna
Joseph Mills
Ferdinand
Shipperley
Meyler
Guthrie
Matejovsky
Drenthe (captain)
McIntyre
Hiron

I know that some of these players aren't the least skilful or talented we have had but, for example, any other goalie than Federici at Wembley or in the first week of the Premiership under Brian would have significantly changed things, Matejovsky set up more chances for the opposition than any player I can remember and his passes to nobody were only matched by Barry Hunter, I think those dancers in Cardiff cared more about Reading winning than McIntyre and if anybody has not chosen Drenthe they must have never seen him on the pitch for us.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 14 Apr 2022 22:20

Jack Celliers Off the top of my head:

Federici
Araruna
Joseph Mills
Ferdinand
Shipperley
Meyler
Guthrie
Matejovsky
Drenthe (captain)
McIntyre
Hiron

I know that some of these players aren't the least skilful or talented we have had but, for example, any other goalie than Federici at Wembley or in the first week of the Premiership under Brian would have significantly changed things, Matejovsky set up more chances for the opposition than any player I can remember and his passes to nobody were only matched by Barry Hunter, I think those dancers in Cardiff cared more about Reading winning than McIntyre and if anybody has not chosen Drenthe they must have never seen him on the pitch for us.

Federici?

FEDERICI?

FEDERICI?!?!!?!??!!?!!?!?!

Literally stopped reading after Federici

Are you utterly oxf*rd mental?!

Like seriously just leave the board now. Just go. What a ridiculous statement.

Federici was like prime Buffon, Van Dar Sar, Yashin, Wayne Gretzky, Khan, Dino Zoff, Massimo Taibi and Petr Cechs Helmet compared to Joao Virginia

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Apr 2022 22:49

Ray Hiron? really?

Somebodies just plucking random names from historic line-ups here surely?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 15 Apr 2022 06:13

AthleticoSpizz Ray Hiron? really?

Somebodies just plucking random names from historic line-ups here surely?

He picked federici ffs :roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Apr 2022 07:36

Federici
Araruna
Joseph Mills
Ferdinand
Shipperley
Meyler
Guthrie
Matejovsky
Drenthe (captain)
McIntyre
Hiron

He was also part of a defence that basically won us the league at year. Probably wouldn’t have gotten promoted without him.

What a oxf*rd stupid comment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2022 09:21

Hendo

Federici
Araruna
Joseph Mills
Ferdinand
Shipperley
Meyler
Guthrie
Matejovsky
Drenthe (captain)
McIntyre
Hiron

He was also part of a defence that basically won us the league at year. Probably wouldn’t have gotten promoted without him.

What a oxf*rd stupid comment.

More about defence and midfield than keeper imo. He's nowhere near worst though.

Not with Sheppard, Van der Kwaak and Virginia having played for us.

Araruna is a mental pick as well, for a guy who has barely played and did ok when he did.

He's no Booty, Gurney, Ashcroft or Rosenior.

Actually the whole thing is mental

Mills - Bodin
Ferdinand - Khumalo
McIntyre - Brayson
Drenthe - Crawford
Guthrie - Reilly

Etc etc

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Apr 2022 18:32

Jim MacIntyre was a great player. I think everyone expected him to be a goalscorer and that was never his game. The best of Burns' "Magnificent Seven" by an absolute country mile.

When you think there's players like Marc Reilly, Andy McLaren, Alex Smith, Jimmy Crawford around at the same time as him, it's mad that he's even considered.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2022 18:41

From Despair To Where? Jim MacIntyre was a great player. I think everyone expected him to be a goalscorer and that was never his game. The best of Burns' "Magnificent Seven" by an absolute country mile.

When you think there's players like Marc Reilly, Andy McLaren, Alex Smith, Jimmy Crawford around at the same time as him, it's mad that he's even considered.

complete revelation when not played as a striker

124 posts