MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h)

260 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Mar 2022 20:48

Just a general all round poor performance really. Yes, not much in the game but that doesn't exactly reflect well on us because we've come away with nothing when they are not anything special at all.

I don't understand this persistence with Ince, we've got to get Meite back into the team somewhere, he scores goals.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2022 20:51

I thought ince played pretty well to be honest - one of our stronger performers

That’s not to say he shouldn’t have been replaced a lot sooner. Thought Hoilett, Swift and Joao were all disappointing

Drinkwater had a weird game - played quite well in a lot of it but some dreadful passes and shots at times as well.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Mar 2022 20:52

The non-use of Meite is so difficult to understand.
He has been sub 3(?) times before today including at lease 20 minutes of play in one of the games-so what was Ince waiting for?

We were huffing and puffing without making clear cut chances and the one tactic looked to be to get Ince junior to run at defenders but lose it when he had beaten one of them and of course being all left-foot he failed when trying to beat his man on the outside.
He is one of those players that looks good but produces very little however he is quite energetic and wins the occasional tackle but on balance doesn't warrant a starting placeIMHO.

According to some posters on here this was the easiest of our March fixtures but Millwall are always hard to beat and they are a unit that knows what it is doing, much like Luton or Huddersfield or Blackpool-nothing brilliant but committed and reasonably successful this season.

On the other hand we only perform in patches and there is this inevitability that once we go behind it is unlikely that we will battle back and draw or win games.

Those patches need to be increased otherwise the season will be over-whether our squad is really as good as BBCRB and many fans say it is I'm not sure but time is running out and by the time Meite gets to start a game the season could be over and we will have saved him for what?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Mar 2022 20:58

Hound I thought ince played pretty well to be honest - one of our stronger performers

That’s not to say he shouldn’t have been replaced a lot sooner. Thought Hoilett, Swift and Joao were all disappointing

Drinkwater had a weird game - played quite well in a lot of it but some dreadful passes and shots at times as well.

Every time Ince had the ball I had zero expectation that anything would come from it.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 Mar 2022 21:07

We might have the individuals to pull clear of the drop, but we certainly don’t have a team. It really is a case of hoping the shit below us fail to pick up points

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 05 Mar 2022 21:07

CountryRoyal Should have come to the Johny Rocks instead Zippy. Was a cracker.

Condolences for having to watch crap incompetent Reading FC.

A cracking game in a cracking season.

A club with a supporters trust owning enough shares to have a Director on the board. No player earning more than £100k a year. A £10k profit in a pandemic. A ground in the centre of town. Three Camra award winning pubs in walking distance. Michael Duff rejuvenating other clubs' rejects. The complete antithesis of Reading, sadly.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Mar 2022 21:09

For me personally, I think it's got more to do with Ince being seen as an important player. Don't get me wrong, there is quality there and he does the defensive side well, but what does he do better than what Meite does? I know they are different players, but Meite's qualities are far more valuable than Ince's. Just having Meite as an out ball is important and he gets over the top of full backs well and he overpowers them from crosses. I don't mind Ince, I think he's a solid enough player, I just don't understand why we seem so reliant on him and Hoilett when we've had both Barker and Meite available for the last few games now. Even TDB and Ejaria were available today who can come in.

I'm all for a settled side, but we don't seem to have that in those positions. There is a lot of competition in that area, so we need to use it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Mar 2022 21:11

Notts Royal We might have the individuals to pull clear of the drop, but we certainly don’t have a team. It really is a case of hoping the shit below us fail to pick up points

I do think we've got enough about us. Two disappointing defeats in a week but that happens when you're at the bottom. Those bottom 3 seem to be flip flopping between themselves a bit and I do think we've got the individual, it's just the collective quality we need, such as the game against Birmingham.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Mar 2022 21:12

Jerry St Clair
CountryRoyal Should have come to the Johny Rocks instead Zippy. Was a cracker.

Condolences for having to watch crap incompetent Reading FC.

A cracking game in a cracking season.

A club with a supporters trust owning enough shares to have a Director on the board. No player earning more than £100k a year. A £10k profit in a pandemic. A ground in the centre of town. Three Camra award winning pubs in walking distance. Michael Duff rejuvenating other clubs' rejects. The complete antithesis of Reading, sadly.

Sadly agreed. I used to watch them in the Southern Premier League when I was a lad. My first game was a 6-0 home defeat to Bath City in 1976. They have come a long way from those days.
My only concern is that I don’t think they will keep hold of Duff in the summer.
Been to two games this season and enjoyed watching them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2022 21:36

YorkshireRoyal99 For me personally, I think it's got more to do with Ince being seen as an important player. Don't get me wrong, there is quality there and he does the defensive side well, but what does he do better than what Meite does? I know they are different players, but Meite's qualities are far more valuable than Ince's. Just having Meite as an out ball is important and he gets over the top of full backs well and he overpowers them from crosses. I don't mind Ince, I think he's a solid enough player, I just don't understand why we seem so reliant on him and Hoilett when we've had both Barker and Meite available for the last few games now. Even TDB and Ejaria were available today who can come in.

I'm all for a settled side, but we don't seem to have that in those positions. There is a lot of competition in that area, so we need to use it.

I think that’s fair. In isolation ince did ok but he isn’t Meite. Now obvs don’t know how Yaks is looking in training etc but I think we all felt He’d be a better and more dangerous option

Plymouth exile

by Plymouth exile » 05 Mar 2022 21:36

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Idiot.

+1

Just in case I'm also accused of being inarticulate, I articulated exactly what I thought, as concisely as
Well, I'm impressed but no one has answered my original post.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 05 Mar 2022 21:51

Plymouth exile
Snowflake Royal
Zip
+1

Just in case I'm also accused of being inarticulate, I articulated exactly what I thought, as concisely as
Well, I'm impressed but no one has answered my original post.

Because it was a oxf*rd stupid post.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2022 22:06

I'm able to use the quote function correctly too.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 05 Mar 2022 22:40

I'm tired of losing to shit teams.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 Mar 2022 23:33

PieEater I'm tired of losing to shit teams.

We are a shit team though, that's half the issue.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Mar 2022 23:47

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Idiot.

+1

Just in case I'm also accused of being inarticulate, I articulated exactly what I thought, as concisely as possible.

So did I.

I want him to fcuk off.

biff

by biff » 06 Mar 2022 01:47

Holmes is relegating us.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Mar 2022 09:34

Brogue And to think the self proclaimed oracle of Reading yoof football, SCIAG, had the audacity to say to me a while back that Holmes is better than cooper :roll: cooper is ten times the player Holmes will ever be.

‘ Holmes to me looks significantly better than Cooper’

:lol:

Rent free :lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Mar 2022 09:36

Don’t have a great deal to add really. Good fun without being especially memorable. Would have liked a sub a bit earlier. Ejaria looked lively, Joao looked shattered after about 60 minutes. Don’t understand the Tince scapegoating.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Mar 2022 09:40

Thought Tom Ince was decent, always prepared to take on his man. certainly made me sit up and think something could happen.

Also thought we looked a better unit defensively. Millwall only had 2 on target the save when DD gifted them the ball and obviously from the resulting corner, Just one of those things Cooper out jumped two of them at the back post, they didn`t do too much wrong. I thought Jake was goading the fans behind the goal when in fact he was paying homage to ED who kick started his career, a nice touch.

260 posts