Why the **** are you still here ?

Getthebeerens

Why the **** are you still here ?

by Getthebeerens » 07 Mar 2022 13:51

During the Millwall game I found myself asking why the hell do I keep going to watch this rubbish each week ?

The answer rather depressingly is because I have a season ticket and it would feel like a waste of money if I didn't go.

Maybe its the beginning of the week blues kicking in, but I honestly feel watching Reading is just a waste of time now a days. Poor season after poor season with no lessons being learned no long term plans and don't get me started on our terrible recruitment model.

Will I be renewing my season ticket next year ? Unless I see fundamental changes behind the scenes I wont be renewing. I don't care about if we are in the Championship or League 1, watching a badly run club in either league will bring the same results.

Why are you still here and will you be here next season ?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Why the **** are you still here ?

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Mar 2022 13:53

I've watched considerably less games this season that what I have any other season (when fans were permitted at games), but that's more down to other commitments on a weekend rather than not wanting to watch the team. Having said that, if we were doing well or in a better place than we were now, I would go to more games than what I do, but it just isn't worthwhile really.

I'll be going to Sheffield United away on Good Friday and possibly Hull and Luton away, situation depending, but not many more than that I don't think now. I was going to go to Preston and Blackpool but the weather stopped me in my tracks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2022 15:03

Felt the same in the game actually

Knew millwall would probably score
Knew we’d not make any kind of comeback
I can’t be arsed to shout anymore I basically sit their chatting to my kids, often not even about the game. It’s all a bit depressing

Basically only gone as much as I have this season as the boys’ mates from school and footy go and it’s just a social

Really bored of getting served up dross, esp at home

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Mar 2022 15:29

ST holder and haven’t missed a home game this season. I rarely leave before the end but on Saturday I said to my lad that it was time to go home with a few minutes left. It was completely predictable. We concede from a set piece and then huff and puff with no conviction. I knew we were not going to score.

I doubt whether I will renew but with my lad at Reading Uni it’s a good way of keeping in touch and bringing stuff from home should he need it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Mar 2022 15:31

Missed more games this year than most, not down to the team though - COVID, flu, holiday other prior commitments.

Will 100% get a ST next year as well.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 07 Mar 2022 15:41

Hendo Will 100% get a ST next year as well.

^ this

Can you imagine what you'll end up doing on Saturday afternoon instead :shock:

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 07 Mar 2022 15:54

Zammo
Hendo Will 100% get a ST next year as well.

^ this

Can you imagine what you'll end up doing on Saturday afternoon instead :shock:

Probably play a bit more golf, I'd still go to the odd game. But at the moment I come away from a Reading game thinking "what a waste of a day".

I don't expect success, but at least put some foundations in place to be successful. Next season why don't we try and have two players in each position when building a squad. Why do we have so many wide players and just one left back ? It's stuff like this that drives me crazy. It's the basic stuff we are doing so badly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Mar 2022 16:04

I'll renew my Royals TV subscription. And if things improve both on the pitch and with covid, I'll get to some games

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Mar 2022 16:46

Love it or loathe it, I'm a Reading fan and I'll continue to support the club at home. I get the feeling my Dad is losing interest so I'll see which way he swings but even if he decides to not go next season I'll just make my way via public transport.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Mar 2022 17:26

I haven’t had a season ticket for a while now but I go to most home games and 3 or 4 away games. To be honest, I enjoy the anticipation of going to the games more than the actual games themselves. I think it’s partly a habit for me but mostly my love for the football club and the memories of going to games with my dad and uncles when I was a youngster.

I’ll always keep going to games as my autistic son loves to go and it’s a way of getting him out and about. I just hope that the club can turn itself around and I want to see 11 players in a Reading shirt give 100% for 90+ minutes in every game.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Mar 2022 17:30

I go because I am a supporter and always will be.

Next.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 07 Mar 2022 19:31

John Smith I go because I am a supporter and always will be.

Next.

You can be a supporter without going to games.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Mar 2022 20:31

I`ve not witnessed a win since October, fcuking OCTOBER???, 4 sodding months, too many times walking up Bennett road with the same depressing feeling,
It`s really trying my patience.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Mar 2022 20:32

I'll go next season and the one after that.

In fact my plan is to retire as soon as I possibly can and follow RFC around the country.

Well maybe not.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 07 Mar 2022 20:56

I've pretty much decided not to go to the Blackburn game, although I may well change my mind when the game comes around.

It's got to the stage where going there week after week whilst these players start every game on the back foot playing shitty slow passing around their own half, until they concede sloppy goals, and lose feebly as a stand full of away fans celebrate is getting me down. It used to be that a loss might make me annoyed for an hour maximum, but now it's days. I'm still pissed off about Saturday now.

I care too much and no one at the club from players, to management, to directors and owner seem to care at all. It's not just this season either that we've been awful at home it's been season after season pretty much since McDermott left the first time. Everything has gone so badly this season on top of all the other recent seasons, where we don't get to double figure home wins, that it feels like the last straw.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 08 Mar 2022 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 07 Mar 2022 21:12

It's your club at the end of the day. It's in your DNA. It's not meant to be about supporting in the good times only. Being part of the struggles makes those good days even more special when they happen.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 07 Mar 2022 22:03

John Smith I go because I am a supporter and always will be.

Next.

I thought I’d throw this question out there.

What are you supporting now ? A billionaires play thing, a club that makes a certain agent a lot of money. Should we be supporting it ?

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 07 Mar 2022 22:11

PATRIQT It's your club at the end of the day. It's in your DNA. It's not meant to be about supporting in the good times only. Being part of the struggles makes those good days even more special when they happen.

Great points. I suppose for me the Reading FC in my DNA is not the club I see at the moment. I really do hope it changes and if that means League 1 football to kick us back into action then so be it.

JR

by JR » 07 Mar 2022 23:46

PATRIQT It's your club at the end of the day. It's in your DNA. It's not meant to be about supporting in the good times only. Being part of the struggles makes those good days even more special when they happen.

Absolutely this.

And it’s the whole matchday experience - choosing which ‘lucky’ RFC clothes to wear, a couple of pints in the Hobgoblin, Pierre’s baguette and Irn Bru for the bus, catching up with good mates at the ground, choosing which defender to place a long odds goal scorer bet on, reading HNA (yes really), debating the team selection, etc etc - that’s loads and the game hasn’t even started.

Enjoy the great times, but don’t give up in the crap times as success will return eventually.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 08 Mar 2022 06:57

Used to be a ST holder until I departed for new shores.

Have followed the team online as I'm never going back to the UK because Brexit (another thread in another place).

I've seen us play under Taxi man, Tommy Burns (RIP), Pardew, SSC and all the others. I've followed the team since 1994/95, first went on Boxing Day '97(?) against the Baggies at Elm Park. That match will be engrained in my mind. I remember being too small to see the match on the final day of Elm Park when we decided to stand (I was sat on a handrail quite far back in the stand, at about the centre circle).
RFC is in my DNA, I love the club and I'll never support another team.
If one day the political climate should change, I might go back, once retired, and be an ST holder again.
And yes, I'll be renewing my Royals TV subscription for next season as well.