MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a)

233 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Mar 2022 09:41

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal No one is really good enough to play behind that sitcom.

Issues with Southwood are blown out of all proportion. He's made two howlers, spilled one hitting the ground hard and been poor on maybe another 3 / 4. Not good, but as a proportion of what we've conceded it's tiny.

It's fewer howlers than Drinkwater, no more howlers and fewer poor ones than Holmes, Laurent and probably on a par with Morrison.

Replacing Southwood just replaces who is put in an impossible situation. Got to solve the problem at source, defence and defensive midfield.

Still putting everyone back at corners. Would Millwall have been able to block Holmes as easily if we had left 2 up front and forced three of their players back away from our box? Maybe not.

Still waiting for the ball to come to us at set plays rather than attacking it.

Still having CBs sucked 20 yards out of position. Still having midfield fail to cover holes, give it away and get run through.

Agree in principle but I just think some of the errors he makes might not have been made with a stronger, more experienced goalkeeper between the sticks. Probably not the one against Hull, anybody can make that kind of error where it's just a mistake but maybe coming and claiming crosses and commanding his area might be better off with someone stronger and more experienced as well.

But, as you say, it still doesn't stop the underlying issue that the defence in front of the goalkeeper has been weak all season as well. Although I think there are some signs that is starting to improve. Some of Southwood's errors though have cost us points, particularly the one's against Derby and Hull at home, knock an extra 4 points on there and take 1 off each of them and suddenly our position looks far, far better. All ifs, buts and maybes though I suppose.

Drinkwater Holmes and Laurent's errors have cost us more points. As have many others.

And yet you see very little targeting of Laurent in particular. It's mainly put on Holmes and Southwood.

From a personal point of view I have been critical of all 3 mentioned through their own errors, although it is just "easier" to blame a goalkeeper as 9 times out of 10 their errors lead directly to goals. It's hard to tell if their errors lead to more points dropped or not, potentially collectively but I'm not sure about individually.

It's swings and roundabouts to an extent though. Again, a few weeks back I think WhoScored had him as the highest rated goalkeeper this season in the league and, as said, he has won us some points as well, namely Fulham away for example and possibly a couple of others during that good run we had early in the season. Agree with what was said above though, he's maybe just not the solution to our issues right now because his weakness of not being that strong at commanding his area and from crosses coincides with the teams weakness as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2022 09:46

Here's a question.

Can a keeper be strong on commanding his area at set pieces, if the defensive set up is to flood the box with a static zonal marking system?

I don't think Cabral or Hein were very strong here either.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Mar 2022 10:19

I think Hein at least tried to, can remember him flapping quite a lot though so I don't necessarily think he was very good at it but at least he was trying to be positive. You'd have to think Nyland will be of a similar approach given his height. You'd also have to think he'd be more consistent than Hein given his experience level.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Mar 2022 10:46

Snowflake Royal Here's a question.

Can a keeper be strong on commanding his area at set pieces, if the defensive set up is to flood the box with a static zonal marking system?

I think the answer is no Ian or you need to have a brute of a keeper, e.g. Alisson or Schmeichel snr. who will just knock his own players out of the way.

I very much agree with your earlier ( or perhaps elsewhere) point that by leaving 2 players up by the half-way line the opposition will use 3 players to mark them .
So, not only does that lead to a numerical advantage in the penalty area but also prevents so much overcrowding and confusion.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Mar 2022 11:24

Think T Ince doesn’t come back in the area now, though agree would rather see someone left on the half way line as well for corners

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Mar 2022 13:35

As much as this is true, we are not the only team that brings everybody back for corners and marks zonally though either and other teams manage successfully at it as well, it's just that we don't.

We probably didn't work on set pieces a great deal under Pauno to be fair and I doubt we have with Ince either, at least not when you're trying to implement a new playing style and one of them isn't a priority focus on set pieces. It's possibly one of the most neglected areas when training in football.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2022 16:01

YorkshireRoyal99

As much as this is true, we are not the only team that brings everybody back for corners and marks zonally though either and other teams manage successfully at it as well, it's just that we don't.

We probably didn't work on set pieces a great deal under Pauno to be fair and I doubt we have with Ince either, at least not when you're trying to implement a new playing style and one of them isn't a priority focus on set pieces. It's possibly one of the most neglected areas when training in football.

I thought I'd covered that we did it badly in the description of it being static. :P

If Ince isn't immediately working on it as one of his top priorities he should immediately be sacked. It's probably our biggest gaping flaw and a huge source of goals against us.

We've conceded 20 (TWENTY!) from set pieces. Next highest is 13. The average excluding us is 8 ffs. From a range of 5 to 13.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 11 Mar 2022 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Mar 2022 16:06

I think it's fair to say that set pieces haven't been the core of our tactics lately but to his credit Paunovic did work on some routines that led directly to goals. Setting up a joke

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2022 16:08

SCIAG I think it's fair to say that set pieces haven't been the core of our tactics lately but to his credit Paunovic did work on some routines that led directly to goals. Setting up a joke

For the opposition.

:wink:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Mar 2022 16:32

SCIAG I think it's fair to say that set pieces haven't been the core of our tactics lately but to his credit Paunovic did work on some routines that led directly to goals. Setting up a joke

My favourite was the one against Luton last season for McIntyre.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Mar 2022 16:34

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

I thought I'd covered that we did it badly in the description of it being static. :P

If Ince isn't immediately working on it as one of his top priorities he should immediately be sacked. It's probably our biggest gaping flaw and a huge source of goals against us.

We've conceded 20 (TWENTY!) from set pieces. Next highest is 13. The average excluding us is 8 ffs. From a range of 5 to 13.

He probably has worked on it more than what most do, but I bet we don't spend as much time as we should on set pieces, regardless of how poor we have been at them.

They say about 33% of goals come from set pieces yet coaches won't spend 33% of training time on set pieces, that's what I mean. I think he will have worked on it, but not as much as we should do for the severity it is.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Mar 2022 00:50

Lets be honest, for 1000s of punters this has to be the home banker of the day. I`m doing radio silence between 3.00-5.00 tomorrow because I suspect it maybe too painful to follow.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2022 09:33

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

He probably has worked on it more than what most do, but I bet we don't spend as much time as we should on set pieces, regardless of how poor we have been at them.

They say about 33% of goals come from set pieces yet coaches won't spend 33% of training time on set pieces, that's what I mean. I think he will have worked on it, but not as much as we should do for the severity it is.

If the average goals from set pieces in the Championship is 8, 33% of goals from set pieces would mean the average goals conceded would be 24. Whoever 'They' are, is talking obvious bollox.

Why anyone should think you should devote the same proportion of training time as to proportion of goals conceded is mind blowing to me. Training involves covering basic skills, fitness, defending and attacking, match prep, game review, opposition review... Not just stopping goals.

Saw a stat many years ago that teams concede on average about 4 goals a season from corners. Given the current Championship set piece numbers that still seems about right.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 12 Mar 2022 10:48

Who cares what he looks like, good manager at our level, certainly a lot better than who we'll end up with.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Mar 2022 11:39

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I thought I'd covered that we did it badly in the description of it being static. :P

If the average goals from set pieces in the Championship is 8, 33% of goals from set pieces would mean the average goals conceded would be 24. Whoever 'They' are, is talking obvious bollox.

Why anyone should think you should devote the same proportion of training time as to proportion of goals conceded is mind blowing to me. Training involves covering basic skills, fitness, defending and attacking, match prep, game review, opposition review... Not just stopping goals.

Saw a stat many years ago that teams concede on average about 4 goals a season from corners. Given the current Championship set piece numbers that still seems about right.

Our stat must surely be higher than the average Ian after the Blackpool and Millwall games?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2022 12:11

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Our stat must surely be higher than the average Ian after the Blackpool and Millwall games?

It's in the post you quoted. 20 for set pieces. Don't know specifically for corners, but loads.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2022 14:01

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2022 14:02

Swift injured?

Meite to get an hour then before being replaced by Joao?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2022 14:03

No Swift or Holmes, Joao on bench.

Very slow backline as usual.

Meite starts after very few minutes for a while.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Mar 2022 14:15

Looks a solid hard working team. No passengers. Nick a goal to win the game.

233 posts