328 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Sutekh » 29 Mar 2022 08:59

When : Saturday 2nd April 2022, 3pm
Where : Oakwell, Grove Street, Barnsley, S71 1ET
Capacity 23,009

Here it is then, pretty much exactly 1 year since the last visit to this part of South Yorkshire Reading are winding their weary way northwards again for what actually is going to be the biggest game of their season. Seriously this IS the big one, win it and there is a whopping 8 point cushion between safety and relegation plus a very big dent put into the Barnsley bandwagon. Lose it though and this board, and all who sail on her, are very likely to be consigned to the fact the club have really ***** it up now and convinced that that’s that then. Whatever happens let’s hope that at least Yiadom doesn’t play “who can give away the stupidest penalty” again and Joao remembers how to kick a football toward an open goal.

The biggest thing the club and players must realise and be ready for though is the fact that Barnsley are going to be up for this and Reading’s record against sides “up for it” and pressing and “getting in their faces” is rather less than impressive. Standing about trying to play slow tempo keep ball is really going to be about as much use as a chocolate teapot in a “who can make the hottest cup of tea” competition. That said Reading have experience to draw on having been belittled at Kidderminster so they need to try and use that horrible feeling to their advantage and make sure they match Barnsley everywhere on the pitch. I presume the required fight and determination is something Paul Ince knows only too well so surely there’s no reason to think the club won’t be prepared?

Barnsley looked dead and buried at the start of 2022 but in the January window they picked up midfielders Amine Bassi and Qina on loan from Metz and Watford respectively and this seems to have completely lifted their form which, while not brilliant, is a marked improvement on that which preceded February. Before February the Tykes had managed 3 draws and 10 defeats from 13 games which was part of a sequence of just 1 win in 26 games (and that was v Derby). Now the run is 4 wins and 2 draws from the last 9 games and it’s happening just at the right time to give them the confidence and belief that can do it so Reading will be seen as a game they can and must win.

Cauley Woodrow and Carlton Morris carry the main goal threat, the likes of Victor Adeboyejo and Aaron Iseka look pretty useful from the bench while the aforementioned loan midfielders have bagged 4 goals between them so will need to be carefully marshalled.

However messers Woodrow and Adeboyejo are doubtful having picked up knee injuries from which they may well not have completely recovered in time. Reading could actually be pretty much at full strength for the first time this season (presuming Nyland and Hoilett don’t get injured on international duty of course) with even Rahman having a chance of resuming duty at left back.

Referee

Keith “eight games and four and a half years since a Reading win” Stroud

Previously

19 Dec 2020 > Brentford 3-1 Reading
07 Nov 2020 > Reading 0-3 Stoke City
08 Jan 2020 > Millwall 2-0 Reading
28 Sep 2019 > Swansea City 1-1 Reading
05 May 2019 > Reading 0-0 Birmingham City
10 Apr 2019 > Norwich City 2-2 Reading
27 Oct 2018 > Swansea City 2-0 Reading
28 Apr 2018 > Reading 0-4 Ipswich Town
02 Dec 2017 > Sunderland 1-3 Reading
04 Nov 2017 > Derby County 2-4 Reading
01 Apr 2017 > Reading 1-0 Leeds United
14 Feb 2017 > Reading 3-2 Brentford
19 Nov 2016 > Reading 3-0 Burton Albion
28 Dec 2015 > Reading 1-2 Brentford
07 Nov 2015 > Cardiff City 2-0 Reading
03 Oct 2015 > Reading 2-0 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2015 > Reading 0-1 Bournemouth
29 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-1 Huddersfield Town
11 Jan 2014 > Watford 0-1 Reading
13 Aug 2011 > Leicester City 0-2 Reading
03 Apr 2010 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
06 Feb 2010 > Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Reading
29 Dec 2007 > Tottenham Hotspur 6-4 Reading
22 Sep 2007 > Reading 2-1 Wigan Athletic
25 Feb 2006 > Reading 2-1 Preston North End
23 Aug 2005 > Reading 3-1 Swansea City (League Cup)

History

Reading away from home to play that oft quoted, proverbial game always thrown up when some mercurial foreign talent arrives from some hotter clime, got to be a miserable time to be had by all southern softies surely?

Well no actually, it was like that once but it’s not that bad these days.....

This will be the 37th time league action has occurred between the two teams in South Yorkshire and so far Reading have won 11 of the games compared to Barnsley’s 16. Sadly though fate will now be tempted as the bit Reading have to protect is the fact that since the move to RG2 they have made this league trip 9 times and obtained 19 points following 5 wins and 4 draws.

How to follow the game
  1. Ticket yourself, be brave and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by NathStPaul » 29 Mar 2022 09:01

Keith Stroud might be my least favourite Championship official.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 29 Mar 2022 09:16

Yiadom should be alright as long as we don't get a bad ref who awards another soft penalty like last year.

Referee
Keith Stroud

Oh ffs.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Mar 2022 09:30

Surely he's not as bad as Oliver Langford I believe who denied us something like 4 penalties away at Sheffield Wednesday last season? (Ok, yes maybe only 2/3 of them were actually penalties but you get the point).

I didn't even realise Oakwell held 23,000, it doesn't look that big from memory anyway, I always thought it was somewhere around the 16,000 mark, especially considering they rarely ever fill their ground either.

We've got a good record against Barnsley though in more recent times, it's important we use that to our advantage on Saturday. Going to the game, it's fair to say this game will be the most nervous I've been since the PO final against Huddersfield.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Mar 2022 09:52

Huge game of course but not terminal if we lose it

Feels very strange having a full strength squad pretty much to choose from - hopefully Baba is back. Some tough choices for Ince to make - will have a stab at what he goes for:

Nyland
Yiadom Holmes Morrison Baba
Ince Laurent Drinkwater Ejaria
Swift
Joao

Southwood, Barker, Dann, McIntyre, Meite, Rino, TDB

Leaving out Halilovic, Hoilett (due to late return), Thomas

The centre backs is a big call, coming off a clean sheet. Reckon he’ll go for DD over Rino.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Mar 2022 09:59

I think it's very difficult to leave Rino out of this game considering their qualities and the energy that they have, especially in the midfield and wide areas. But Drinkwater of course gives us extra quality to keep hold of the ball, which we might be able to do more than in most games considering we are actually better than them.

That CB partnership concerns me but, then again, almost any CB pairing would at this time as well.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Mar 2022 09:59

Win would be massive.

Although I think I'd take a draw if offered, as long as Posh and Derby both lose :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Mar 2022 10:02

If we can create the number of chances we did against Blackburn (who have the 6th best defence in the league), we will win this one.

It's a big IF though. Defending set pieces will be key as that seems to have been their main source of goals of late, either scoring from one crossed in or as a result of winning the second ball. We do seem to be improving in in that area, but this will be the biggest test of that of late.

A win with Derby and Peterborough not would be the perfect weekend ahead of the Stoke midweek game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Mar 2022 10:03

Yep particularly keen on any of the CB partnerships at the moment. Thomas may be a good option if he is quick and will possibly suit playing against Barnsley but big call to throw him in. Just think Morro and Holmes have the shirt and off the back of the 1-0 win will probably keep them

I’d rather have Rino in personally - would give us an all action midfield with the two wide lads offering good support to the back 4. TDB would be an option somewhere as well but not played a lot recently. Tough choices as I said

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Mar 2022 10:14

It's certainly a winnable fixture though that's for sure, no reason to believe we can't beat them. They've improved significantly recently, but you could say we have improved a fair bit as well from our woeful form around February time and our last couple of performances have been good as well. If we can take that into this game, I'd be confident of taking at least something.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Mar 2022 11:15

YorkshireRoyal99 But Drinkwater of course gives us extra quality to keep hold of the ball.

Danny?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Mar 2022 11:16

This is our League One Playoff final.

Although Barnsley have a squad who wouldn't even get into League One playoffs and we have a squad who should arguably be fighting for Championship playoffs.

Should be only one outcome here.

COME ON READING. Destroy these moaning tossers threatening to take us to court just because they're shit.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 29 Mar 2022 12:09

I’m much happier with the GK situation , but whenever Holmes is on the pitch I’m concerned . If he plays he’s a certainty to be booked or red carded . I wouldn’t play him .

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Mar 2022 12:17

YorkshireRoyal99 It's certainly a winnable fixture though that's for sure, no reason to believe we can't beat them. They've improved significantly recently, but you could say we have improved a fair bit as well from our woeful form around February time and our last couple of performances have been good as well. If we can take that into this game, I'd be confident of taking at least something.

If we get a draw then the very worst that will happen sees us 4 points clear of Peterborough and 5 of Barnsley and Derby - with 7 (6 for Derby) games left.

The latter two don't play next midweek, so we could open an 8 pt gap over them by beating Stoke.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Mar 2022 12:19

Hound Huge game of course but not terminal if we lose it

Feels very strange having a full strength squad pretty much to choose from - hopefully Baba is back. Some tough choices for Ince to make - will have a stab at what he goes for:

Nyland
Yiadom Holmes Morrison Baba
Ince Laurent Drinkwater Ejaria
Swift
Joao

Southwood, Barker, Dann, McIntyre, Meite, Rino, TDB

Leaving out Halilovic, Hoilett (due to late return), Thomas

The centre backs is a big call, coming off a clean sheet. Reckon he’ll go for DD over Rino.

Would go with this, Rino/DD will be the big call but reckon you’re right

Bench is a little sparse on attacking options so would stick Halilovic (or Hoilett if he’s OK) for Dann/TDB

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Mar 2022 12:20

Once upon a time . but whenever Holmes is on the pitch I’m concerned . If he plays he’s a certainty to be booked or red carded . I wouldn’t play him .

Really? I thought I would give it a look.

This season Tom Holmes has played 29 first team games (2127 mins) and has received 4 yellow cards and 0 red cards. For an average of 1 yellow card every 7.25 games or 1 yellow card every 531.75 minutes. So if you averaged that out over the season he would get between 6 and 7 yellow cards, barely enough for even a suspension.

Over the course of his career, he has played 70 first team games (5044 mins) and has received 10 yellow cards and 0 red cards. For an average of 1 yellow card every 7 games or 1 yellow card every 504.4 mins.

So what you're saying is absolutely wrong.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Mar 2022 12:24

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 It's certainly a winnable fixture though that's for sure, no reason to believe we can't beat them. They've improved significantly recently, but you could say we have improved a fair bit as well from our woeful form around February time and our last couple of performances have been good as well. If we can take that into this game, I'd be confident of taking at least something.

If we get a draw then the very worst that will happen sees us 4 points clear of Peterborough and 5 of Barnsley and Derby - with 7 (6 for Derby) games left.

The latter two don't play next midweek, so we could open an 8 pt gap over them by beating Stoke.

Yes I think we have to remember that we aren't the side who have to win here really. A win would be huge for us but we are in a decent position as it is already.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Mar 2022 12:48

YorkshireRoyal99 Surely he's not as bad as Oliver Langford I believe who denied us something like 4 penalties away at Sheffield Wednesday last season? (Ok, yes maybe only 2/3 of them were actually penalties but you get the point).

I didn't even realise Oakwell held 23,000, it doesn't look that big from memory anyway, I always thought it was somewhere around the 16,000 mark, especially considering they rarely ever fill their ground either.

We've got a good record against Barnsley though in more recent times, it's important we use that to our advantage on Saturday. Going to the game, it's fair to say this game will be the most nervous I've been since the PO final against Huddersfield.

Think Langford is pushing towards double figures for pens not awarded to us at this point.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Mar 2022 12:50

Langford is certainly up there with Stroud as the two worst officials in the league, they have been terrible for years now and seemingly nobody at the FA cares. I agree that referees should be respected but they should also face proper consequences for continual poor performances.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Mar 2022 12:55

It's mindblowing that he didn't get demoted after missing multiple pens in one game.

328 posts