BFTG - Cardiff

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Cardiff

by Hound » 09 Apr 2022 20:53

CountryRoyal Christ I can’t wait until this season ends and Paul Ince and most of the other wasters fcuk off.

Incompetent tactics.

Expand on the tactics

Didn’t think we did a lot wrong tactically as such.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 09 Apr 2022 21:15

Good first half with Cardiff there for the taking, but when we had them on the ropes, instead of going for the kill, we inexplicably backed off and produced a woeful pathetic second half performance. This team really does not have a backbone and no desire for a fight, I think most of the players realise we'd almost certainly safe from relegation and as a consequence are just going through the motions and thinking of who they'll be playing for with their new clubs next season. We need a massive clear out this summer and get a bunch of players who want to play in a team, as a team, not a bunch of individual prima donnas

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Apr 2022 21:17

Bristol Paul
Snowflake Royal Don't think they give up. They just fall into bad habits and have low confidence and struggle to focus

I think they do. One example 10 minutes from the end Joao had his back to the goalie, head down walking away and it took one of this team mates (can’t remember who) to tell him to turn around and close down the goalie. There’s too much of that with this team. I never particularly liked McDermotts brand of football of non stop pressure and 100 miles per hour, but this team could definately do with some of that.

Yeah agree with this. The workrate dropped off alarmingly in the second half.
We pressed hard in the first half but sat off in the second.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 09 Apr 2022 21:24

Bristol Paul
Snowflake Royal Don't think they give up. They just fall into bad habits and have low confidence and struggle to focus

I think they do. One example 10 minutes from the end Joao had his back to the goalie, head down walking away and it took one of this team mates (can’t remember who) to tell him to turn around and close down the goalie. There’s too much of that with this team. I never particularly liked McDermotts brand of football of non stop pressure and 100 miles per hour, but this team could definately do with some of that.

Yep same every match.

Needle

by Needle » 09 Apr 2022 22:19

Hoilett was excellent on the right against Stoke. Back on the left to accommodate Ince spelled trouble from the start. He's just not the same player.

TMac isn't a fullback. Rahman must really be pissing about in training for Ince not to have brought him back.

I reckon we need 3 more points to be safe - not sure where they're coming from without Swift

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Apr 2022 22:29

Needle Hoilett was excellent on the right against Stoke. Back on the left to accommodate Ince spelled trouble from the start. He's just not the same player.

TMac isn't a fullback. Rahman must really be pissing about in training for Ince not to have brought him back.

I reckon we need 3 more points to be safe - not sure where they're coming from without Swift

Remember when a left footed player played on the left wing & a right footer played on the right? I miss those days. Give me a player who can beat his man & either cross effectively or cut back from the byline, over 1 who occasionally cuts back & scores any day of the week. Why did it need to change?!

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 Apr 2022 22:30

Gunny Fishcake Good first half with Cardiff there for the taking, but when we had them on the ropes, instead of going for the kill, we inexplicably backed off and produced a woeful pathetic second half performance. This team really does not have a backbone and no desire for a fight, I think most of the players realise we'd almost certainly safe from relegation and as a consequence are just going through the motions and thinking of who they'll be playing for with their new clubs next season. We need a massive clear out this summer and get a bunch of players who want to play in a team, as a team, not a bunch of individual prima donnas

A lot of words to say Ince out

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Apr 2022 23:01

Zip
Bristol Paul

See that as a loss of focus not giving up

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Apr 2022 23:02

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Bristol Paul I think they do. One example 10 minutes from the end Joao had his back to the goalie, head down walking away and it took one of this team mates (can’t remember who) to tell him to turn around and close down the goalie. There’s too much of that with this team. I never particularly liked McDermotts brand of football of non stop pressure and 100 miles per hour, but this team could definately do with some of that.

Possibly fatigue.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Apr 2022 01:10

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Bristol Paul I think they do. One example 10 minutes from the end Joao had his back to the goalie, head down walking away and it took one of this team mates (can’t remember who) to tell him to turn around and close down the goalie. There’s too much of that with this team. I never particularly liked McDermotts brand of football of non stop pressure and 100 miles per hour, but this team could definately do with some of that.

:lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Apr 2022 09:03

Who was marking Vaulks? They didn’t track back for his winner. Our midfield really were very poor in the second half.

Has Swift played his last game for us. Out for “a few weeks” when there are only four weeks left.......

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 10 Apr 2022 09:29

Quote from Ince post match "Second half for some reason we decided to drop deep, no idea why but we did the same against Stoke".

Why did he not make it clear to the team to press up the pitch at half time and even if they were dropping deeper and deeper as the game progressed second half sort it out from the touchline after all that's the manager job

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2022 09:31

The Real Sandhurst Royal Quote from Ince post match "Second half for some reason we decided to drop deep, no idea why but we did the same against Stoke".

Why did he not make it clear to the team to press up the pitch at half time and even if they were dropping deeper and deeper as the game progressed second half sort it out from the touchline after all that's the manager job

All he can do from the touchline is shout and make subs. Which he did.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Apr 2022 09:38

The Real Sandhurst Royal Quote from Ince post match "Second half for some reason we decided to drop deep, no idea why but we did the same against Stoke".

kind’ve sounded like he said that he did all that, but the players ignored him regardless

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 10 Apr 2022 09:39

Snowflake Royal wrote:

Utter rubbish, if the system it is not working change it Pardew was a great example of making such decisions

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2022 09:40

The Real Sandhurst Royal Snowflake Royal wrote:

Utter rubbish, if the system it is not working change it Pardew was a great example of making such decisions

It wasn't the system that wasn't working, it was what the players were doing in it.

He can't walk on the pitch and physically drag them forward.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Apr 2022 09:44

The players pressed hard in the first half and just didn’t have the same energy levels in the second half.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2022 09:51

Zip The players pressed hard in the first half and just didn’t have the same energy levels in the second half.

Yeah, the dropping deep thing is a natural reaction to losing confidence and tiring.

You're scared of leaving space in behind and get caught out. Especially with our lack of pace at the back.

And each time it's harder to get back up the pitch as you're tired. And because everyone is coming back, there's no out ball to hold it up, so you're caught playing in little space in your own packed third or sending it forward and watching it come straight back.

Once you've let yourself slip into that it's incredibly hard to get out of it. I think you very rarely see teams succeed at it without some sort of big motivational event, like a goal against the run of play, or a particularly big challenge or unjust decision.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Apr 2022 10:32

While we are calling this Pauno-like in that we went 1 up then lost I think that unfair on Ince.

First half we constantly looked for the second and had Cardiff on the ropes. Second half Cardiff did well, we tired. Pince didn’t do enough to spot the problem and fix it although he tried with attacking subs.

Overall good close game, win some lose some. No biggie. Not much to dissect.

Biggest thing for me is this wasn’t a typical relegation side getting battered. It was a good game of decent teams.

Barnsley v Millwall on the other hand :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Apr 2022 10:43

Snowflake Royal
Zip The players pressed hard in the first half and just didn’t have the same energy levels in the second half.

Yeah, the dropping deep thing is a natural reaction to losing confidence and tiring.

You're scared of leaving space in behind and get caught out. Especially with our lack of pace at the back.

And each time it's harder to get back up the pitch as you're tired. And because everyone is coming back, there's no out ball to hold it up, so you're caught playing in little space in your own packed third or sending it forward and watching it come straight back.

Once you've let yourself slip into that it's incredibly hard to get out of it. I think you very rarely see teams succeed at it without some sort of big motivational event, like a goal against the run of play, or a particularly big challenge or unjust decision.

Agreed - I thought TDB was the right sub at the time but in retrospect he is a bit of a headless chicken at times which summed up much of our midfield second half. Ejaria would have been a better option, granted i didn’t see his performance on Tuesday so maybe that was bad enough to not want to bring him on

It has been a huge feature of our poorer performances this year though - the lack of control and ball retention in midfield