MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (h)

293 posts
facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (h)

by facaldaqui » 19 Apr 2022 17:18

Got to admit, was feeling miserable at 1-4 down. Thought of leaving but compromised by refusing to look at the defensive end of the pitch, which was giving me the jitters.

Still not sure how we managed that comeback. I'm not seeing any sign of tactical abilty from PInce. But he must be some motivator. The longer the game went on, the more our players--all of them--hurled themselves at Swansea like unguided grappling hooks at ballerinas, sometimes three at a time, till in the end something seemed to die in Swansea's hearts. Great example of sheer fight and and doggedness gradually unravelling a slick, superior football team.

I like the Zeppelin kicks of Nyland. Got us out of a lot of difficulties, though his actual goalkeeping is a bit too after-you-Claude at times. A shame to see our midfield become so pedestrian, after we've been spoilt by Swift and Ejaria (and Olise). But, to be fair, Drinkwater did a decent job and seemed to be our only player not running round like a headless chicken.

Proper exciting, potentially legendary game. Glad I stayed put. It felt like THE point.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2022 17:45

Back to the traditional ratings.

Nyland - 6 solid no chance on most (any?) of the goals, the odd ropey kick. But nothing to really fault or credit him on I can recall
Yiadom - 7 good performance, crosses, defending etc
Rahman - 6 struggled down his flank, but I think lack of support mainly. Some good forward
Morrison - 6 For me the problems were in midfield protection again, but it wasn’t q great performance by any stretch
McIntyre - 7 bonus for that goal, otherwise similar to Morro. He's worth 4/5 goals a season if he plays 46 games which is great for a CB.
Drinkwater - 7 at times immense, but at other times ball watching rather than goalside and at least partly at fault for at least one goal. But in possession close to MotM
TDB - 5 occasionally tidy, mostly anonymous, easily bypassed. It's just not his position that deep.
Laurent - 7 going forward and pressing from the front, incredible, also caught ball watching and contributing to goals conceded though
Hoilett - 5 some great moments / crosses, but ball watching in defence too often whilst Swansea ripped us apart
Ince - 8 great energy, running and determination capped with a beautiful goal. Probably midfielder least culpable on Swansea running through us
Joao - 9 MotM quiet and out of it at times, but two goals and an assist, who gives a flying one.

Determination, belief and spirit - 11 absolutely insane to come back from 1-4 down after being 1-0 up.

Brilliant man management and motivation from Ince.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Apr 2022 18:27

I think we have been involved in more goals scored and conceded than any other of the 91 clubs. In total 136 scored and conceded in 43 games.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Apr 2022 22:14

Zip I think we have been involved in more goals scored and conceded than any other of the 91 clubs. In total 136 scored and conceded in 43 games.

Cheltenham 139 Morecambe 142.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Apr 2022 22:40

windermereROYAL
Zip I think we have been involved in more goals scored and conceded than any other of the 91 clubs. In total 136 scored and conceded in 43 games.

Fair enough

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Apr 2022 10:28

Franchise FC
Mr Angry Met a lot of decent Swans fans at the PO Final; I find it difficult to have any issues with them tbh.

Compare and contrast to the Bolton fans in ‘95 :roll:

Yeh still remember being stuck in the car park after the game surrounded by those arseholes. Bastards were enjoying themselves!

Thought Walsall fans at Cardiff were alright though. Met a fair few beforehand

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Apr 2022 10:54

Snowflake Royal Back to the traditional ratings.

Nyland - 6 solid no chance on most (any?) of the goals, the odd ropey kick. But nothing to really fault or credit him on I can recall

Pretty sure he got enough of a hand onto their shot in the dying stages (when still 3-4) to deflect it high onto his near post, and some of the commentators said the same having watched the replay. After the game, Ady Williams also referred to it as being a game changing save since if they had scored to make it 3-5 at that point, we wouldn't have come back from it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2022 11:33

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal Back to the traditional ratings.

Pretty sure he got enough of a hand onto their shot in the dying stages (when still 3-4) to deflect it high onto his near post, and some of the commentators said the same having watched the replay. After the game, Ady Williams also referred to it as being a game changing save since if they had scored to make it 3-5 at that point, we wouldn't have come back from it.

That rings a bell actually... at least +1 for that, maybe 2.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Apr 2022 11:42

windermereROYAL

That kills off a discussion / fact quickly - well played.

Half Time Pizza

by Half Time Pizza » 21 Apr 2022 11:46

Heard that this was the club's first 4-4 draw since 1959. Not sure that's true or not (not counting Cup games) but certainly first one I've witnessed.

Quite a few 4-3's including Huddersfield this season albeit defeat, Donny when 3-1 down, the Rougier match, Plmouth before my time but never a 4-4.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 21 Apr 2022 13:41

windermereROYAL

I'm a Reading fan, but also a Morecambe season ticket holder. Been an entertaining season for me! :lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Apr 2022 09:22

Forgot to mention this - old boy who sits with us (season ticket holder) - we have not seen him for near on 2 1/2 years and we feared the worst, even tried to find ways of contacting him / family. Anyway, to our utter delight he took his seat at this game. He saw us all and said "boys, i am back from the dead". Bless him. He's 86. Turns out he literally has been hibernating since Covid and now venturing out.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Apr 2022 10:51

paultheroyal Forgot to mention this - old boy who sits with us (season ticket holder) - we have not seen him for near on 2 1/2 years and we feared the worst, even tried to find ways of contacting him / family. Anyway, to our utter delight he took his seat at this game. He saw us all and said "boys, i am back from the dead". Bless him. He's 86. Turns out he literally has been hibernating since Covid and now venturing out.

Nice story
I think lots of people that age have been doing exactly the same

Hibernating. Not watching Reading

293 posts