293 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (h)

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2022 18:12

When : Monday 18th April 2022, 3pm
Where : SCL Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Well after the miracle at Bramall Lane comes a much more down to Earth affair in the shape of a visit from more Welshmen, this time in the white colours of Swansea. The worry here is that, once again after a great result, the lads turn up and serve everyone one with another round of, at best, complacency and at worst, something that plumbs the very depths of stinky bog water. But surely they will have learned with the Cardiff mess being so fresh in the mind?

Swansea sit 14th with nothing to play for apart from pride and next season’s contracts, but then that was pretty much the modus operandi for the last team to visit Reading and look what happened so that should have zero bearing on things. The current form of the Swans is 4 wins and 2 draws from their last 6 so they are good solid performers on a decent run. Their last defeat was just over a month ago at Blackpool and since then they’ve won all 3 of the away games they’ve played (at Peterborough, Cardiff and Millwall) and conceded just 2 (207 minutes now since they last conceded on their travels) while scoring 8. The final challenge on this one is the fact that Reading have failed to beat Swansea at home in any of the last 8 attempts including that 3-0 reverse in the League Cup back in August, let’s hope it’s a challenge equal to a trip to Sheffield United.

The big threats to watch here are Joel Piroe, Michael Obafemi and perennial right royal pain in the arse Jamie Paterson. These scallywags are responsible for 36 of Swansea’s 49 league goals so quite some contribution and it’s likely to take a good deal of organisation to cut all three out for 90+ minutes. But if they can be reduced to meagre pickings then there’s a reasonably good chance of overcoming the Welsh threat.

I can’t find any injury problems listed for Swansea so their expected line up will be; Fisher; Cabango, Naughton, Latibeaudiere; Christie, Fulton, Grimes, Wolf; Piroe, Paterson; Obafemi. Reading have Araruna and Dann out for the season (and Swift touch and go) but Meite and Halilovic both seem to be there or thereabouts. Joao went off v Sheffield United with a tight hamstring in a precautionary move but while he should be available for Swansea it will obviously be a concern throughout the game that he may not be quite on 100%.

Elsewhere at the bottom, Derby may well be more or less out of it if they lose to Fulham later tonight (8pm ko). If they are out of it then their visit to QPR’s current horrendous Readingesque injury problems and appalling form could well be moot. Barnsley host Peterborough in the “points have to go somewhere” derby. The good thing there is that Peterborough beat Blackburn to keep their “dream” alive so all the better for that game’s competitiveness.

Referee

Kevin Friend

Previously

03 Mar 2020 > Reading 1-2 Sheffield United (FA Cup)
15 Aug 2017 > Reading 2-1 Aston Villa
28 Jan 2014 > Reading 5-1 Blackpool
28 Apr 2013 > Reading 0-0 Queen's Park Rangers
12 Jan 2013 > Reading 3-2 West Bromwich Albion
30 Oct 2012 > Reading 5-7 Arsenal ( League Cup )
18 Aug 2012 > Reading 1-1 Stoke City
02 Apr 2011 > Reading 2-0 Portsmouth
26 Dec 2010 > Reading 4-1 Bristol City
24 Apr 2010 > Watford 3-0 Reading
08 Dec 2009 > Reading 2-4 Crystal Palace
10 Apr 2009 > Reading 0-1 Sheffield United
04 Oct 2008 > Reading 3-1 Burnley
28 Aug 2007 > Swansea City 0-1 Reading ( League Cup )
09 Aug 2005 > Brighton & Hove Albion 0-2 Reading
21 Mar 2005 > Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Reading
18 Sep 2004 > Reading 3-1 Gillingham

Historically

Reading and Swansea have played each at all 4 levels of the Football/Premier League over 35 previous seasons together. Therefore this is the 36th league game played at the Reading end of things and so far it’s 18 wins to Reading and 10 to Swansea though Reading have failed to win any of the last 6 league games played in the town. Mind you that’s probably the record you want to see waving in front of you while the club is on this weird run.

How to follow the game

1. Ticket time - if there’s going to be any left….
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (h)

by Zip » 15 Apr 2022 18:22

The positive about Barnsley drawing at Swansea today is the Swans having nothing to play for. Let’s get the win.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2022 18:26

Zip The positive about Barnsley drawing at Swansea today is the Swans having nothing to play for. Let’s get the win.

Nor did Cardiff :P

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Apr 2022 18:54

Snowflake Royal
Zip The positive about Barnsley drawing at Swansea today is the Swans having nothing to play for. Let’s get the win.

Shut it Master Royal. 8)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Apr 2022 19:15

I am resigning my honoury Welshship until further notce

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Apr 2022 19:33

Would be lovely to see us put the season to bed pretty much with a decent performance and win

So no doubts we’ll play shit and lose. Esp as I’m going, and have barely seen us win this year (only Barnsley, PNE and Brum I think all season)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Apr 2022 19:42

Kevin Friend, what could possibly go wrong?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Apr 2022 19:46

windermereROYAL Kevin Friend, what could possibly go wrong?
Gavin Ward replacing him?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2022 20:08

Snowflake Royal

But hopefully the fact their season was just "ended" today may hit their confidence a bit. Cardiff had been done for ages and of course were shocking at Hull today.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Apr 2022 20:13

AthleticoSpizz I am resigning my honoury Welshship until further notce

You are summarily dismissed Spizzeria.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2022 23:19

After the Derby game tonight a Reading win against Swansea will a) finally relegate either Barnsley or Peterborough and b) mean that Derby can only stay up on goal difference.

Any other result for Reading is likely to drag us all back through the mill of despair esp. if Derby win again.

Football’s fun really though isn’t it?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Apr 2022 10:26

Well this bloody lot have been an annoying jinx since 2008 till earlier this season, lets hope it doesn`t return.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Apr 2022 20:39

windermereROYAL Well this bloody lot have been an annoying jinx since 2008 till earlier this season, lets hope it doesn`t return.

Some positives to take out of this season is we seem to breaking many curses we've had in recent years. Sheffield United where we've struggled against them recently, Birmingham at home, Swansea away etc. We haven't traditionally done well against Swansea up until our win in November, but I don't see why we can't do the double over them.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Apr 2022 20:41

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

But hopefully the fact their season was just "ended" today may hit their confidence a bit. Cardiff had been done for ages and of course were shocking at Hull today.

Yeah but in fairness there is some truth to what he is saying. Not all of these teams who have nothing to play for are going to lose or not win all of their fixtures just because they have nothing to play for. They are where they are in the table for a reason.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Apr 2022 20:59

Remarkably, Swansea do have an outside shot of the play-offs still, especially with the form they're in, 7pts behind Sheff Utd with a game in hand, difficult but not insurmountable.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Apr 2022 20:59

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Nor did Cardiff :P

Yeah but in fairness there is some truth to what he is saying. Not all of these teams who have nothing to play for are going to lose or not win all of their fixtures just because they have nothing to play for. They are where they are in the table for a reason.

No-one is saying Swansea won't win again this season, we are both in form sides and we need it more, so I hope that gives us the edge. They can win their last 3 after that for all I care.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2022 22:25

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Nor did Cardiff :P

If you go just on having something to play for at this point in the season you're in trouble. Random results happen.

We were supposed to beat Cardiff because they were on the beach and get stuffed by Sheff U according to many.

What is actually the case is that no game is predictably easy or hard right now. And it doesn't matter which games we get points in (I still think we've got something like a 70- 80% chance of staying up if we lose every remaining game), we'll get some in some of them. We're a struggling side, that means we'll get some duff results and some surprise results.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Apr 2022 19:03

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

If you go just on having something to play for at this point in the season you're in trouble. Random results happen.

We were supposed to beat Cardiff because they were on the beach and get stuffed by Sheff U according to many.

What is actually the case is that no game is predictably easy or hard right now. And it doesn't matter which games we get points in (I still think we've got something like a 70- 80% chance of staying up if we lose every remaining game), we'll get some in some of them. We're a struggling side, that means we'll get some duff results and some surprise results.

Yeah it will even itself out. As said, expected a win against Cardiff and defeat against Sheff United, we got the inverse but we got as many points as we anticipated in both fixtures regardless.

I'd say we will get 3-6 points in our last 4 games. I'd imagine a draw tomorrow, draw at Hull, draw against West Brom and defeat at Luton. But it could easily be 2 wins in our next 2 and job done, followed by 2 defeats, or a win, 3 defeats and all the other possbilities.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2022 20:40

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah it will even itself out. As said, expected a win against Cardiff and defeat against Sheff United, we got the inverse but we got as many points as we anticipated in both fixtures regardless.

I'd say we will get 3-6 points in our last 4 games. I'd imagine a draw tomorrow, draw at Hull, draw against West Brom and defeat at Luton. But it could easily be 2 wins in our next 2 and job done, followed by 2 defeats, or a win, 3 defeats and all the other possbilities.

I fancy us beating one of Swansea or Hull. More Hull, who have gone on a little run to be 100% safe, but are still a but rubbish so will probably drop a bollock soon, like we did with Cardiff.

Joao is firing, the defence is tighter, and midfield is playing quicker. Plus Ejaria will start so it's a nailed on W apparently. (Hound :wink: )

FYI we're certain to lose to WBA because I'm planning on it being my first game in person since Covid started

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Apr 2022 20:57

Snowflake Royal
FYI we're certain to lose to WBA because I'm planning on it being my first game in person since Covid started

Good to hear you’re getting to a game !
Hope they do give you a win !

293 posts