Reasons to be hopeful?

257 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Reasons to be hopeful?

by Stranded » 30 May 2022 12:02

ReadingGlasses I think I'd call this transfer window more "nervous" than "exciting". There's a big talent gap to fill if many of the out of contract players leave, and possibly not much budget to do it with.

It'll definitely be interesting, have lots happening, and be very important, but I'm not excited by it.

Intrigued is the best word. I've no idea how the summer pans out. Lots of talk about wanting the squad together by pre-season and to date we've only lost players. We are in a position where, whilst I am sure we are being active, we also probably have to wait.

Wait on those offered deals to say yes or no - I hope if no, it is quick like Swift - and wait on potential new players probably seeing if there is a better finanical deal elsewhere before signing for us.

So yeah intriguing and I'm expecting the next fortnight to be very quiet indeed and a lot of people to start getting very nervous.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2022 12:33

paultheroyal
YorkshireRoyal99
paultheroyal Negativity is just depressing on here - but hey, the fans do want it to be the Reading way.

Clear out of players - check
British Director of Football - check
British recruitment expert - check
British manager appointed - check
Exciting transfer window for once coming up - check
Reading fans to be mood hoovers and depressing - check

I'm not sure why specifying British really matters.

Plenty of comments on here about why the need to appoint an unknown Serbian, Portuguese, Iranian/Canadian etc etc - hence keeping it british.

Plenty of comments about not having experience of our leagues, not of nationality, but you and your ilk like Karbuncle make it about nationality, not experience.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 May 2022 12:57

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
YorkshireRoyal99

Plenty of comments on here about why the need to appoint an unknown Serbian, Portuguese, Iranian/Canadian etc etc - hence keeping it british.

Plenty of comments about not having experience of our leagues, not of nationality, but you and your ilk like Karbuncle make it about nationality, not experience.

Whilst I agree on the points around going British, Paul Ince doesn't have much experience at this level and is in reality a bit of a failed manager. He has plenty to prove this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2022 13:23

Some failures some successes for Ince and he has had experience in the leagues above and below

Would say he was relatively experienced if been out of the game a while. 40% win rate is actually pretty good over his career

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 May 2022 13:33

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
YorkshireRoyal99

Plenty of cries on here for a British manager you utter fool. Oh i forgot, its the Ian way or the no way. Silly me.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 13:42

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

Plenty of cries on here for a British manager you utter fool. Oh i forgot, its the Ian way or the no way. Silly me.

It's nothing to do with the nationality of the manager, its to do with a manager of experience at this level. I'm sure most would rather Daniel Farke to Keith Curle, for example.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 May 2022 13:43

YorkshireRoyal99
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal Plenty of comments about not having experience of our leagues, not of nationality, but you and your ilk like Karbuncle make it about nationality, not experience.

It's nothing to do with the nationality of the manager, its to do with a manager of experience at this level. I'm sure most would rather Daniel Farke to Keith Curle, for example.

i must be in some sort of time machine / vortex or something.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 May 2022 14:11

You could just accept you're wrong on this one?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 May 2022 15:49

Its 2022 and someone needs a nationality boxed ticked. What next, demanding gammon to be served on the concourse?
It really is not that important.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 May 2022 16:33

NathStPaul You could just accept you're wrong on this one?

wrong for stating that a number of posters were calling out for a "traditional British manager" - no, i wont be admitting i am wrong, because on this occasion i am not.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 May 2022 16:35

paultheroyal

wrong for stating that a number of posters were calling out for a "traditional British manager" - no, i wont be admitting i am wrong, because on this occasion i am not.

Tbh, I think those who were clamouring for a British manager (regardless of experience) were in a minority of 1.

Those who were claiming to want a manager of British Football League (specifically the Championship) experience, regardless of nationality, would probably be a lot higher.

But they aren't the same thing.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 May 2022 16:36

Hendo
paultheroyal

Tbh, I think those who were clamouring for a British manager (regardless of experience) were in a minority of 1.

Those who were claiming to want a manager of British Football League (specifically the Championship) experience, regardless of nationality, would probably be a lot higher.

its almost like becoming the Aintree Ladies debacle again. So the issue is i cant say British?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 May 2022 16:44

paultheroyal
Hendo
paultheroyal

its almost like becoming the Aintree Ladies debacle again. So the issue is i cant say British?

Say whatever you like, but don't expect not to be called out on something if it is wrong.

People weren't calling out for a traditional British manager (well except the obvious poster), which implies that they had to be British first.

Most were calling out for someone with Football League experience and not some random manager, no matter the nationality, which is totally different. Getting someone in like Carrick would be just as crazy as getting someone in who has had minor success in a European league and doesn't know the English game.

Be that, Warburton, Mowbray or Jokanović. I don't think anyone would've minded (again, except the obvious), as it shows the board are realising what is actually required to give us a good starting base and isn't an incredible risk.

As it happens, I think Ince has a decent amount of experience, but I DGAF what his nationality is.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 May 2022 17:02

For some reason whenever I see this thread I read it as "reasons to be woeful".

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2022 17:36

paultheroyal
YorkshireRoyal99
paultheroyal Plenty of cries on here for a British manager you utter fool. Oh i forgot, its the Ian way or the no way. Silly me.

your attitude certainly seems stuck in the 70s.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2022 17:39

Hendo
paultheroyal
Hendo

Say whatever you like, but don't expect not to be called out on something if it is wrong.

People weren't calling out for a traditional British manager (well except the obvious poster), which implies that they had to be British first.

Most were calling out for someone with Football League experience and not some random manager, no matter the nationality, which is totally different. Getting someone in like Carrick would be just as crazy as getting someone in who has had minor success in a European league and doesn't know the English game.

Be that, Warburton, Mowbray or Jokanović. I don't think anyone would've minded (again, except the obvious), as it shows the board are realising what is actually required to give us a good starting base and isn't an incredible risk.

As it happens, I think Ince has a decent amount of experience, but I DGAF what his nationality is.

In Paul's defence, its not just one, it's been four or five, although I'm pretty sure one of those was also Paul previously. And most, if not all, have been called out on it most times its happened

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 May 2022 23:07

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
YorkshireRoyal99

your attitude certainly seems stuck in the 70s.

Says the man who makes love to his transistor radio at 3pm on Saturday afternoons

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 May 2022 23:47

Weak.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 May 2022 01:00

paultheroyal
Hendo
paultheroyal

Silver fox reported this post

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 May 2022 01:02

Millsy For some reason whenever I see this thread I read it as "reasons to be woeful".

True but from a minority of posters who are either constantly negative and May as well give up supporting the club or they are trolling

257 posts