Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by paultheroyal » 12 Jul 2022 07:45

Franconian Royal
paultheroyal
Zip
How strange. Is Shane joining PTR?

PM’d.

PTR, is this something where we can start jumping off walls with happiness or should we start collecting money to try and get some better quality players?

If you are in the yes please camp, enjoy your day.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2022 07:59

If this doesn't happen then firstly I'll be delighted and secondly PTR will need to spend a day in the stocks outside the West Stand.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jul 2022 09:03

NathStPaul If this doesn't happen then firstly I'll be delighted and secondly PTR will need to spend a day in the stocks outside the West Stand.

Look forward to hearing from you later.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2022 09:06

paultheroyal
NathStPaul If this doesn't happen then firstly I'll be delighted and secondly PTR will need to spend a day in the stocks outside the West Stand.

Look forward to hearing from you later.

I am not saying it won't happen, I just enjoy taking pleasure in people being wrong.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 12 Jul 2022 09:10

paultheroyal
Franconian Royal
paultheroyal
PM’d.

PTR, is this something where we can start jumping off walls with happiness or should we start collecting money to try and get some better quality players?

If you are in the yes please camp, enjoy your day.

seeing Shane on the hallowed turf of the Mad Stad / SCL would be like Christmas and my August birthday coming early. Thank you, PTR.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2022 09:20

If it happens great, if not, it doesn't. He won't be the same player that left 11 years ago but he'll certainly offer us something different - could play up on his own or work off Joao. Hopefully the deal is structured as a 1 year deal with an option.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2022 09:21

Find the response to his return baffling. Put nostalgia to one side for a minute, did we really need another attacking player? Especially one who is 36. If it was a different 36 year old striker who had no previous Reading connection would you be excited? Probably not.

I will change that opinion should Long also be in a coaching role with the under 23's, would be great for our young strikers to learn from. Very much hoping a coaching role is part of the deal to make it worthwhile.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 12 Jul 2022 09:21

Hearing the Long deal is agreed with everyone and due to be signed in next 24-48 hours. Hold on

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2022 09:22

gazzer, loyal royal Hearing the Long deal is agreed with everyone and due to be signed in next 24-48 hours. Hold on

Thanks Gazzer, you're always on the button and first with the news.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 12 Jul 2022 09:24

NathStPaul
gazzer, loyal royal Hearing the Long deal is agreed with everyone and due to be signed in next 24-48 hours. Hold on

Thanks Gazzer, you're always on the button and first with the news.

Tbf it’s not my normal source but I think it’s good

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 12 Jul 2022 09:25

NathStPaul Find the response to his return baffling. Put nostalgia to one side for a minute, did we really need another attacking player? Especially one who is 36. If it was a different 36 year old striker who had no previous Reading connection would you be excited? Probably not.

I will change that opinion should Long also be in a coaching role with the under 23's, would be great for our young strikers to learn from. Very much hoping a coaching role is part of the deal to make it worthwhile.

I understand what you mean Nath, but come on! If Georgie leaves, we're a little light on first team strikers. Yes, we've got all the academy kids, but PINce would've played them, if he trusted them.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2022 09:27

Franconian Royal
NathStPaul Find the response to his return baffling. Put nostalgia to one side for a minute, did we really need another attacking player? Especially one who is 36. If it was a different 36 year old striker who had no previous Reading connection would you be excited? Probably not.

I understand what you mean Nath, but come on! If Georgie leaves, we're a little light on first team strikers. Yes, we've got all the academy kids, but PINce would've played them, if he trusted them.

There are certainly up sides to it, can't deny that. He will no doubt be someone to learn from for our younger players but I do always worry about these nostalgia deals, just hope supporters don't expect too much.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2022 09:27

I'll also give him credit for not going to the MLS or equivilant where he no doubt would earn more money.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2022 09:29

If Puscas goes as is likely, there is certainly a role for him. Would be annoyed if we’re paying over the odds but if experienced back up to Joao is needed

He was still good enough to make the bench for Soton last year, has kept himself in good nick, so I’m sure he is capable of doing a job in the champ

Not ideal imo, but then the situation we’re in is far from ideal.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jul 2022 09:35

U23 already have a former Reading striker and Ireland international as coach. Do we need another one ?
Would be interesting to know what Long’s coaching credentials are, especially given the lack of coaching he had in his formative years.
You would think that rather than being part of the U23 set up he’d be used to work with Melvin-Lambert, Clarke, Azeez and Ehib in first team sessions (as you’d expect then to be working more with the first team than the academy set up).

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 12 Jul 2022 09:41

NathStPaul
Franconian Royal

There are certainly up sides to it, can't deny that. He will no doubt be someone to learn from for our younger players but I do always worry about these nostalgia deals, just hope supporters don't expect too much.

Play him for 60 minutes in 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 and then move the shape back to 4-1-4-1, I'd be happy. I know he won't be able to do what he did in his first spell, but it'd be great to see him playing for the club he loves so much.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jul 2022 09:44

Taking the nostalgia out of it, bringing in an experienced striker that has been playing pretty much PL football for the best part of a decade now and has been involved in a PL squad for the last few seasons is someone I'd be willing to take, within reason. Just look at the reception someone like Carroll got and he was certainly as asset for us last season.

I would imagine Long could have a similar impact to Carroll, even if it's only for a year. But, as many have pointed out, if we have paid over the odds for him, that would be a bad use of our sparing resource.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2022 09:47

Can he play LB?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jul 2022 09:47

It's definitely all about nostalgia. But even if he hadn't played for us I think I'd prefer him over Wickham. It'll just be nice to have a bit of a feel good moment from the signing, even if paul and gazza have ruined the surprise for us.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2022 09:49

Pepe the Horseman

It's definitely all about nostalgia. But even if he hadn't played for us I think I'd prefer him over Wickham. It'll just be nice to have a bit of a feel good moment from the signing, even if paul and gazza have ruined the surprise for us.

Certainly with you on the Long or Wickham choice. Should get the club some extra season ticket sells and he will shift some merch for them too.

1554 posts