Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Hound » 19 Jul 2022 21:19

Pretty sure McIntyre will start the seaosn either LB or we’ll go with three - Holmes, Hutch and McIntyre with McIntyre left centre back

Potentially then have either the trialist chap or someone like Azeez LWB/LM

We need a left back but I’m not actually that stressed about it. McIntyre actually does alright there

Could do with Dorsett or Dann making an appearance to back up the other 3 sooner rather than later

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2022 21:37

Doubt we'll start the season in a different shape to we've played pretty much all last season and pre-season.

Agree McIntyre will play LB unless we sign a good one, if we do I think he'll start at CB.

Think he'll get exposed and rinsed by pace fairly early on in the season at LB if he's playing there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2022 22:16

Not been paying that much attention but didn’t we start 3 at the back vs WH?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jul 2022 22:26

Hound Not been paying that much attention but didn’t we start 3 at the back vs WH?

Was about to say that. Thought I read Hoilett was playing LWB.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jul 2022 22:32

Looks like we went three at the back in the second half tonight as well.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 19 Jul 2022 22:45

Started 3-5-2 and finished the last 15 or so mor 3-4-3

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 19 Jul 2022 23:34

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I'd rather they stay with us and get gradually introduced to our first team than let go and develop to as good / better than us elsewhere thanks.

Having watched Ward and Leavy both play in a friendly. Leavy is definitely the better option now, let alone in future. And Scott couldn't put in a much more disappointing performance than Murphy, who did nothing. And as squad players the Academy players are infinitely preferable. They are here. They are cheaper.

Games are important, but being regularly involved in Championship match day squads and getting a dozen sub appearances and half a dozen starts in the Championship, is going to be as good development as getting 20 or 30 starts in L1 training and playing with and against lesser players.

Yeah exactly I'm not saying being let go I'm saying loan them out.

As I've mentioned above, judging off one game where players are at different stages isn't exactly the best sample to go by.

You've literally mentioned half a dozen players above who all excelled by dropping down a division, developing, impressing and working their way up, not being thrown into a situation/level they perhaps weren't ready for, Jake Cooper himself is probably a good example of that. Development happens by playing and impressing at a level players can cope with first, you don't throw a learner swimmer in at the deep end straight away without armbands and say sink or swim do you.

Players we should have used and brought through and benefited from, not let go.

Yeah I also think losing Cat 1 status means it’s even more important that we show there’s a clear pathway for young players to get 1st team minutes here .

One of my concerns about Ince and Bowen returning this season was that neither has particularly shown any fondness for taking a chance on young players . They both gave me the impression that they much prefer more experienced battle hardened players rather than blooding promising youngsters.

So I’m more than happy to see us discard the triallists in favour of promoting our own . If someone significantly better ( that we can afford ) comes along then so be it, but otherwise I’m on the “ keep the fringe 1st team academy players here” train.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Jul 2022 23:52

Yeah I’m under no illusions… this season is going to be hard graft.

Desperately need to bolster the left flank. We are going to get taken to the cleaners by decent championship wingers a la Fulham at home last year.

I’m also not sure the pace is there, we look very slow in the transition. Not sure signing so many over 30’s was wise Incey.

Give over, stop panicking etc. From what I’ve seen in 6 months Ince hasn’t overhauled a lucklustre side enough. Can’t help but think we will be on his case before long and we’ll see more coaching changes by 2023.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jul 2022 00:54

The lack of pace is a concern particularly in defence. TMac is not a left back. This needs addressing, Not to have a single senior left back so close to the new season is disappointing.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 20 Jul 2022 01:10

It’s all a bit disappointing. We should have seen an overhaul - not necessarily all personnel but a different approach.

We got found out last year. Not sure anyone can deny that. Feels very much like we are sleep walking in to next season to me.

Comes across like Ince is a coach and isn’t managing to find a solution or a change of approach. The club has been crying out for a change in game management but we look just the same team as when he took over imo.

Just my opinion, others may see it differently

*just to add I appreciate the club is under difficult circumstances, but as fans we are allowed to get frustrated that we see the opportunity to switch things up and make changes to the system that’s served our viewing on a weekly basis over a few management teams now. It’s tepid and pridcatable, we don’t change things up according to the opposition and most fans can pick the team sheet each week.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jul 2022 07:18

Are people just choosing to ignore the different system we've deployed in the last 2 games?

One that looked fairly decent?

Even in the 1st half last night it wasn't 4-2-3-1 but more a 3-5-2. Looks like we will have different strings to the bow this season, even if we start 4-3-2-1 at Blackpool.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2022 07:19

I’m not sure Ince has really had the scope to completely overhaul. Be very brave losing more players than we already have - there will be no Laurent, Rino, TDB, Drinkwater, Baba or Swift from last years side who were all regular first Teamers

With the restrictions as they are it’s impossible to go out and scout players and try to get them to sign, it’s literally been a case of sifting through who Is ooc and would come on the wages

Reasonably encouraged by where we are considering. The balance looks ok with a couple more additions and clever loans

Can’t see us being great but think we’ve enough to stay up reasonably comfortably at the moment

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Jul 2022 07:58

royalp-we It’s all a bit disappointing. We should have seen an overhaul - not necessarily all personnel but a different approach.

We got found out last year. Not sure anyone can deny that. Feels very much like we are sleep walking in to next season to me.

Comes across like Ince is a coach and isn’t managing to find a solution or a change of approach. The club has been crying out for a change in game management but we look just the same team as when he took over imo.

Just my opinion, others may see it differently

*just to add I appreciate the club is under difficult circumstances, but as fans we are allowed to get frustrated that we see the opportunity to switch things up and make changes to the system that’s served our viewing on a weekly basis over a few management teams now. It’s tepid and pridcatable, we don’t change things up according to the opposition and most fans can pick the team sheet each week.

As mentioned above I’d liked to have seen an overhaul and possibly a different approach but I see that as a bit more long term and something that’s difficult to implement in what’s going to be a really challenging season.

In terms of the squad we started with 9 first team players and 2 of those include Moore and Puscas and we’re currently on course to boost numbers close to 20 before the season starts. We have a completely new midfield and given the restrictions we’re under I think our business in the transfer market has been quite shrewd. I am pleased that we haven’t recruited players for the sake of it and we have released trialists not deemed good enough.

This season is all about finishing 21st or higher. If we can get one or two decent left backs a creative midfielder and possibly another striker I honestly feel that we’ll be okay. Also, I think that we have 3 to 5 youngsters that can be a real asset to the squad this season.

It’s unfair to judge Ince at this time and I feel that he has been instrumental in helping to bring more of a structure to the club. Already preseason is looking more promising than in recent years and if Ince can make us hard to beat and more ruthless I’ll take that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2022 08:10

For me, I think our biggest mistake in overhauling the squad came before the season ended. We made a big error in signing on Dann.

That's seriously limited what we can do to overhaul central defence alongside being stuck with Moore.

I'm disappointed with our unseemly haste in the goalkeeping area and think we could have done better with patience.

And I think Long won't prove very useful.

But Fornah, Hendrick, Hutchinson and the other contract extensions all seem like good deals.

At least 1 LB is an absolute must. And if we can't shift Moore, we really must shift Puscas for a couple mil.

We need to see a good 40 odd appearances across the likes of Tetek, Camara, Dorsett, Leavy, Clarke, Melvin-Lambert et al too.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 20 Jul 2022 08:44

Vision
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

As I've mentioned above, judging off one game where players are at different stages isn't exactly the best sample to go by.

You've literally mentioned half a dozen players above who all excelled by dropping down a division, developing, impressing and working their way up, not being thrown into a situation/level they perhaps weren't ready for, Jake Cooper himself is probably a good example of that. Development happens by playing and impressing at a level players can cope with first, you don't throw a learner swimmer in at the deep end straight away without armbands and say sink or swim do you.

Yeah I also think losing Cat 1 status means it’s even more important that we show there’s a clear pathway for young players to get 1st team minutes here .

One of my concerns about Ince and Bowen returning this season was that neither has particularly shown any fondness for taking a chance on young players . They both gave me the impression that they much prefer more experienced battle hardened players rather than blooding promising youngsters.

So I’m more than happy to see us discard the triallists in favour of promoting our own . If someone significantly better ( that we can afford ) comes along then so be it, but otherwise I’m on the “ keep the fringe 1st team academy players here” train.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I guess they must have convinced most of them there is potentially a chance to get them to sign on but was disappointing that no Leavy, Dorsett, Camara, Scott etc involved yesterday. Would Scott or Camara not be better off playing with the first team than a 26 yr old non-league trialist?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jul 2022 08:44

Snowflake Royal For me, I think our biggest mistake in overhauling the squad came before the season ended. We made a big error in signing on Dann.

That's seriously limited what we can do to overhaul central defence alongside being stuck with Moore.

I'm disappointed with our unseemly haste in the goalkeeping area and think we could have done better with patience.

And I think Long won't prove very useful.

But Fornah, Hendrick, Hutchinson and the other contract extensions all seem like good deals.

At least 1 LB is an absolute must. And if we can't shift Moore, we really must shift Puscas for a couple mil.

We need to see a good 40 odd appearances across the likes of Tetek, Camara, Dorsett, Leavy, Clarke, Melvin-Lambert et al too.

Dann signed so early - it was March - that it makes me think we had no choice i.e. there was a clause in his deal that said play X games then you get a 2nd year on the same terms. Was potentially allowed as he is on terms under the EFL limits.

Also highly likely that there was a little bit of panic setting in in March about what the summer could look like and signing Dann up again, gave us another body but yes I agree it was a mistake unless he suddenly can stay fit - would be a good bench option to bring on to try and hold out a 1 goal lead.

Long - we wait and see, I do think he may surprise a few the combination of his style of play and just being at Reading could bring the best out of him - think he'll assist more than score but hopeful.

Very happy with everything else and think Hutchinson could be a real steal a real upgrade on Morrisson that will make a 3 man defence work.

A LB or 2 are really missing but if NGW signs and BOO signs in a bit, then I'm happy there. Would probably then want 1 more CM and, if Puscas is on his way, another striker. Think we'll be as good as we can be at that point and the kids can fill in the gaps and hopefully take their chance - maybe one will break out and as under contract, we can flog them for a decent fee for a change to help with next years squad improvement.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jul 2022 08:46

Simon's Church
Vision
Snowflake Royal Players we should have used and brought through and benefited from, not let go.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I guess they must have convinced most of them there is potentially a chance to get them to sign on but was disappointing that no Leavy, Dorsett, Camara, Scott etc involved yesterday. Would Scott or Camara not be better off playing with the first team than a 26 yr old non-league trialist?

Possibly, but we obviously think that El-Mhaddi has something about him to bring him in - so he has to get minutes. He's not your standard NL triallist either - career spiralled following the bullying incidents at Newcastle, needs a break.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jul 2022 08:50

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I'd rather they stay with us and get gradually introduced to our first team than let go and develop to as good / better than us elsewhere thanks.

Having watched Ward and Leavy both play in a friendly. Leavy is definitely the better option now, let alone in future. And Scott couldn't put in a much more disappointing performance than Murphy, who did nothing. And as squad players the Academy players are infinitely preferable. They are here. They are cheaper.

Games are important, but being regularly involved in Championship match day squads and getting a dozen sub appearances and half a dozen starts in the Championship, is going to be as good development as getting 20 or 30 starts in L1 training and playing with and against lesser players.

Maybe we should, but the fact remains they all flourished by dropping down a division and working their way back up and are now all solid players at this level. We probably should have players drop down a level or two on loan and gain 40+ games of experience to develop, impress and improve at a level they are more suited to and then we can draft them back into the squad.

But obviously, if they are better than what we've got/could get or if they are capable of performing at this level i.e. Olise, then use them.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Jul 2022 09:06

With where we were to where we are now i am very excited for the new season.

Keeper situation needed sorting and urgently and it looks like excellent work there. Two solid replacements have come in, Southwood will be shipped out on loan and the appointment of Tony Warner is the biggest one of them all.

Hutchison is an excellent signing. Looking at Wednesday forums they are at a loss how that has happened. If we can get any form of season out of Dann that too will be excellent. Holmes and Mcintyre are home grown and can really have proper breakout seasons if they put their head down.

Midfield has been ripped up, but lets be honest, apart from Swift goals, that midfield was powderpuff. Craft of Fornah and Hendrick along with pace and power of Ince and Hoilett sets us up nicely.

Front 3 of Meite, Joao, Long is pretty exciting and alot of teams and fans would cream themselves with that.

Clearly still work to do in certain positions but from where we were to where we are now, i for one am looking forward to next season.

Club have made some excellent internal appointments and we will see the benefit of that over the course of the season. Coupled with the fact that a connection with the fan base is back, Reading have had a damn good summer and lets hope that shows on the pitch in August.

Never forget where we were, to where we are now.

URZ.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2022 09:25

paultheroyal With where we were to where we are now i am very excited for the new season.

Keeper situation needed sorting and urgently and it looks like excellent work there. Two solid replacements have come in, Southwood will be shipped out on loan and the appointment of Tony Warner is the biggest one of them all.

Hutchison is an excellent signing. Looking at Wednesday forums they are at a loss how that has happened. If we can get any form of season out of Dann that too will be excellent. Holmes and Mcintyre are home grown and can really have proper breakout seasons if they put their head down.

Midfield has been ripped up, but lets be honest, apart from Swift goals, that midfield was powderpuff. Craft of Fornah and Hendrick along with pace and power of Ince and Hoilett sets us up nicely.

Front 3 of Meite, Joao, Long is pretty exciting and alot of teams and fans would cream themselves with that.

Clearly still work to do in certain positions but from where we were to where we are now, i for one am looking forward to next season.

Club have made some excellent internal appointments and we will see the benefit of that over the course of the season. Coupled with the fact that a connection with the fan base is back, Reading have had a damn good summer and lets hope that shows on the pitch in August.

Never forget where we were, to where we are now.

URZ.

Agree wholeheartedly. I think we have seen the nadir and things will improve from here. Obviously we desperately need a left back, and I'd also like to see a ball winner in midfield as that is not the strength of Hendrick or Fornah.

However, don't let progress cloud the challenge of this season. We've gone from relegation dead certs to a team with the ability to compete and stay up. If we survive this season, hopefully it's the start of a 3-5 year process ro see us competing higher up the league. QPR are a good example of former basket case coming good, so it is possible.

1554 posts