Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2022 12:34

leon
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal And that's why I couldn’t be arsed.

Carry this attitude through the season and you’ll save yourself (and everyone else) a lot of time and anguish.

Yeah but we'll miss all the insight and knowledge of the game.

We'll have you for th.... oh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2022 12:34

leon
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal And that's why I couldn’t be arsed.

Carry this attitude through the season and you’ll save yourself (and everyone else) a lot of time and anguish.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jul 2022 12:37

Snowflake Royal
leon
Royal Rother

Good to see you cba to double post ‘funnies’ !

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Jul 2022 12:47

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
leon

Good to see you cba to double post ‘funnies’ !

So lame he posted it twice.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2022 12:53

Tom Holmes appointed vice-captain. Good to see a local lad being given a decent amount of responsibility as I guess Yids will inevitably get injured at some point :)

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 21 Jul 2022 13:09

NathStPaul I hope we aren't asking for too much money, at this stage it's crucial we just get him off the wage bill. The transfer fee isn't all important.

I don't know - it looks like the EFL are letting us sign any free agents we want as long as they don't exceed the wage cap. So, him leaving right now might save the club money, but i'm not sure it would make any difference to our transfer strategy this season.

I might be wrong - but I don't think we're in a normal situation where we can spend the transfer amount we receive/wages we save. We just have that wage cap and squad size limitations.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2022 13:18

Elm Park Kid
NathStPaul I hope we aren't asking for too much money, at this stage it's crucial we just get him off the wage bill. The transfer fee isn't all important.

I don't know - it looks like the EFL are letting us sign any free agents we want as long as they don't exceed the wage cap. So, him leaving right now might save the club money, but i'm not sure it would make any difference to our transfer strategy this season.

I might be wrong - but I don't think we're in a normal situation where we can spend the transfer amount we receive/wages we save. We just have that wage cap and squad size limitations.

Strategy in terms of free agents no but lets say Puscas is on 15k and the limit we can spend is 8k. Getting him off could free up wages for two players either a free agent or be able to offer the full 8k on a loan deal we may otherwise need to try and blag for nothing.

You are correct that, to the best of our knowledge, we are not allowed to pay any fee even if we bring one in but what it would do is lower the losses by say 3m which gives us a little more scope next summer when we have no restrictions.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jul 2022 13:47

Stranded
Elm Park Kid

Strategy in terms of free agents no but lets say Puscas is on 15k and the limit we can spend is 8k. Getting him off could free up wages for two players either a free agent or be able to offer the full 8k on a loan deal we may otherwise need to try and blag for nothing.

You are correct that, to the best of our knowledge, we are not allowed to pay any fee even if we bring one in but what it would do is lower the losses by say 3m which gives us a little more scope next summer when we have no restrictions.

Agree here. I wouldn't want us to undercut ourselves just for the sake of getting a fee but I can imagine moving him on for £2.5m (as the reported figures seem to suggest) might be more useful to us in the long-term, whereas saving on his wages may allow us to bring in a couple more players comfortably as well.

Best for all parties if he moves on as soon as possible.

Holding Out Hope

by Holding Out Hope » 21 Jul 2022 14:26

Hendo Tom Holmes appointed vice-captain. Good to see a local lad being given a decent amount of responsibility as I guess Yids will inevitably get injured at some point :)

Just a shame he's not actually very good.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Jul 2022 14:29

:roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2022 14:35

Holding Out Hope
Hendo Tom Holmes appointed vice-captain. Good to see a local lad being given a decent amount of responsibility as I guess Yids will inevitably get injured at some point :)

:|

For someone who is still at the beginning of his professional career, he is plenty good enough for a Championship team/a team in our situation.

Holding Out Hope

by Holding Out Hope » 21 Jul 2022 14:40

Hendo
Holding Out Hope

For someone who is still at the beginning of his professional career, he is plenty good enough for a Championship team/a team in our situation.

Hopefully he's got plenty in the locker still to come, because on what he's shown so far, he's not very good. He gets a pass to a degree simply because he's from our academy.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Jul 2022 14:42

:roll:

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 21 Jul 2022 14:43

Holding Out Hope
Hendo
Holding Out Hope

Hopefully he's got plenty in the locker still to come, because on what he's shown so far, he's not very good. He gets a pass to a degree simply because he's from our academy.

'greed. He gets an easy ride because "he's one of our own" yet if he came from another team he'd quite rightly get pelters.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2022 14:46

Holding Out Hope
Hendo
Holding Out Hope

Sorry, I don't see that at all with Holmes. Would say he was one of our most steady 7/10 players going. He might have the odd slip up or he will occasionally have a very good game. Pretty much what you would expect from someone who has only just turned 22 at this level.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jul 2022 14:58

He was quite poor for sections of last season, but the same could be said about most/every player last season. Thought he was very good in his debut campaign, particularly at RB as well. Still some inconsistencies owing to his age, but more than capable at this level now, even on below average days. Agree he does get a little less stick being an academy graduate, but still more than good enough for where we are now, a good decision giving him the vice-captaincy in my opinion.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jul 2022 15:00

YorkshireRoyal99 He was quite poor for sections of last season, but the same could be said about most/every player last season. Thought he was very good in his debut campaign, particularly at RB as well. Still some inconsistencies owing to his age, but more than capable at this level now, even on below average days. Agree he does get a little less stick being an academy graduate, but still more than good enough for where we are now, a good decision in my opinion.

Didn’t suffer in comparison with Morrison at all last season. Better on the ball, still honing fine details in terms of decision making and positioning but as a 22 year old he looks to be doing just fine.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jul 2022 15:44

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99 He was quite poor for sections of last season, but the same could be said about most/every player last season. Thought he was very good in his debut campaign, particularly at RB as well. Still some inconsistencies owing to his age, but more than capable at this level now, even on below average days. Agree he does get a little less stick being an academy graduate, but still more than good enough for where we are now, a good decision in my opinion.

Didn’t suffer in comparison with Morrison at all last season. Better on the ball, still honing fine details in terms of decision making and positioning but as a 22 year old he looks to be doing just fine.

Just compared Holmes to himself really, but take the point. He was nowhere as bad as what some players were, even at his worst. Agree with the rest though, still improvements to be made but a good player at this level in general.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Jul 2022 16:22

Not that it matters a jot but confess to be being a bit surprised Holmes considered in front of McIntyre for leadership qualities.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2022 16:24

Royal Rother Not that it matters a jot but bit surprised Holmes considered in front of McIntyre for leadership qualities.

Did think that as well, maybe Holmes has shown a bit more maturity in training or something?

Injury record might have something to do with it as well?

If your skipper is out, you don't want your vice-captain out for a decent amount of time either.

1554 posts