Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by South Coast Royal » 21 Jul 2022 16:58

A captain for most teams in football IMHO is not very important and vice-captain even less so but maybe players feel differently.
For "one of our own " though it might give him a lift for the season ahead to be recognised as a potential regular-you surely would not appoint captains and vice-captains that you didn't expect to start most games..

This is a big season for him and Tommy Mac to show that they have a future with us having been part of one of the worst defences in the country last season and in the club's history.
Hopefully both of them succeed and are at the club for many years to come.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Jul 2022 17:19

Royal Rother Not that it matters a jot but confess to be being a bit surprised Holmes considered in front of McIntyre for leadership qualities.

Ince has been very vocal about Tom Holmes publicly on a number of occasions so it’s no surprise that he was not only pushing for the club to actively get him to sign a new contract (amid some interest from other clubs) but also to give him some form of leadership role .

I think it’s clear that Ince sees him as his first choice centre back at this stage whereas McIntyre is likely to be moved between left back , centre back and possibly midfield.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Jul 2022 17:35

Hendo
Holding Out Hope
Hendo
:|

For someone who is still at the beginning of his professional career, he is plenty good enough for a Championship team/a team in our situation.

Hopefully he's got plenty in the locker still to come, because on what he's shown so far, he's not very good. He gets a pass to a degree simply because he's from our academy.

Sorry, I don't see that at all with Holmes. Would say he was one of our most steady 7/10 players going. He might have the odd slip up or he will occasionally have a very good game. Pretty much what you would expect from someone who has only just turned 22 at this level.

He had a pretty awful January (as did most the team). Wouldn’t particularly agree that over the course of the season he was steady, as along with others (no, not just Moore :wink: ) he was a part of an abysmal defence but it’s easy to forget this was his first sustained run playing as a CB so mistakes were bound to happen. And his improvement was evident towards the latter stages of the season

Not too dissimilar of a path to Southwood (good start to the season, tailed off) but unfortunately the life of a GK is very much different in that mistakes are often much more costly, little chance of redemption

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2022 17:39

Stranded
Elm Park Kid
NathStPaul I hope we aren't asking for too much money, at this stage it's crucial we just get him off the wage bill. The transfer fee isn't all important.

I don't know - it looks like the EFL are letting us sign any free agents we want as long as they don't exceed the wage cap. So, him leaving right now might save the club money, but i'm not sure it would make any difference to our transfer strategy this season.

I might be wrong - but I don't think we're in a normal situation where we can spend the transfer amount we receive/wages we save. We just have that wage cap and squad size limitations.

Strategy in terms of free agents no but lets say Puscas is on 15k and the limit we can spend is 8k. Getting him off could free up wages for two players either a free agent or be able to offer the full 8k on a loan deal we may otherwise need to try and blag for nothing.

You are correct that, to the best of our knowledge, we are not allowed to pay any fee even if we bring one in but what it would do is lower the losses by say 3m which gives us a little more scope next summer when we have no restrictions.

Agree. It also might help us get away with nominal compensation fees for young players offered contracts at their old club.

But yeah, any less loss, or more profit lol, we make now is more room we have to spend or lose later.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2022 17:40

RG30
Holding Out Hope
Hendo
:|

For someone who is still at the beginning of his professional career, he is plenty good enough for a Championship team/a team in our situation.

Hopefully he's got plenty in the locker still to come, because on what he's shown so far, he's not very good. He gets a pass to a degree simply because he's from our academy.

'greed. He gets an easy ride because "he's one of our own" yet if he came from another team he'd quite rightly get pelters.

He got pelters all last season

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2022 17:45

Hendo
Royal Rother Not that it matters a jot but bit surprised Holmes considered in front of McIntyre for leadership qualities.

Did think that as well, maybe Holmes has shown a bit more maturity in training or something?

Injury record might have something to do with it as well?

If your skipper is out, you don't want your vice-captain out for a decent amount of time either.

I think that last bit is what makes most sense to me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jul 2022 19:23

Holmes had good and bad spells

Genuinely pretty rubbish under Pauno this year but difficult circumstances and a tactically poor manager

Thought he was good under Ince

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Jul 2022 20:18

Vision
Royal Rother Not that it matters a jot but confess to be being a bit surprised Holmes considered in front of McIntyre for leadership qualities.

Ince has been very vocal about Tom Holmes publicly on a number of occasions so it’s no surprise that he was not only pushing for the club to actively get him to sign a new contract (amid some interest from other clubs) but also to give him some form of leadership role .

I think it’s clear that Ince sees him as his first choice centre back at this stage whereas McIntyre is likely to be moved between left back , centre back and possibly midfield.

Yep. I said this the other day. Ince clearly sees Holmes as ahead of TMac at centre back.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jul 2022 18:34

Pete O'Rourke reporting that Luke Southwood has agreed a deal to join Cheltenham on loan.

Looks like a good move for all parties. If he stands out may get a Championship move next summer else will likely head there permanently.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Jul 2022 18:43

Holmes captained ahead of McIntyre in the League Cup last season.

Would say that McIntyre is the more outgoing of the two and comes across better in interviews, but Holmes is the sort of guy who would make a great cricket or rugby captain. He took two difficult A-Levels (Physics and Maths, I think) and his dad is a professor of engineering at Imperial College. He isn't as polished as McIntyre but he's got a very good head on his shoulders. Not to disparage McIntyre at all, but they have different qualities.

I think McIntyre is the better player and better centre back, and personally I would have made him captain, but Holmes has a bit of the Coppell about him - he's as close as footballers come to being a nerd. They're a pair of impressive young men.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Jul 2022 19:34

Stranded Pete O'Rourke reporting that Luke Southwood has agreed a deal to join Cheltenham on loan.

Looks like a good move for all parties. If he stands out may get a Championship move next summer else will likely head there permanently.

Yep, now confirmed. Good luck to him.

https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/15 ... gr%5Etweet

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Jul 2022 19:36

Another one vastly overrated by our fanbase. Good luck to him but right decision ultimately for all parties.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2022 19:46

Yep bye bye Luke and good luck

Shame as thought he looked decent enough to start with but surely that marks the end of his time here

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2022 19:47

SCIAG Holmes captained ahead of McIntyre in the League Cup last season.

Would say that McIntyre is the more outgoing of the two and comes across better in interviews, but Holmes is the sort of guy who would make a great cricket or rugby captain. He took two difficult A-Levels (Physics and Maths, I think) and his dad is a professor of engineering at Imperial College. He isn't as polished as McIntyre but he's got a very good head on his shoulders. Not to disparage McIntyre at all, but they have different qualities.

I think McIntyre is the better player and better centre back, and personally I would have made him captain, but Holmes has a bit of the Coppell about him - he's as close as footballers come to being a nerd. They're a pair of impressive young men.

Good insight from someone who obviously is better informed than most.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jul 2022 20:49

Stranded Pete O'Rourke reporting that Luke Southwood has agreed a deal to join Cheltenham on loan.

’frimmed’ great move, Cheltenham were half decent last season, just what he/we needed…..happy for both

Over to you Zip

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Jul 2022 20:54

AthleticoSpizz

great move, Cheltenham were half decent last season, just what he/we needed…..happy for both

Over to you Zip

I like Southwood Spizzy. Think he has been a bit unlucky
Will be seeing Cheltenham a few times next season so will see how he is getting on
Without Michael Duff I think they will struggle

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jul 2022 20:55

Let’s hope not (I have a soft spot for ‘nam)….but great opportunities for Luke…lots of practice, at least.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 22 Jul 2022 21:15

SCIAG He took two difficult A-Levels (Physics and Maths, I think) and his dad is a professor of engineering at Imperial College.

If Holmes’ nickname in the dressing room isn’t the professor or prof, then quite frankly what’s the point of anything?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Jul 2022 21:23

Ian Royal was not really anything to do with royalty tbf…it only snows a couple of days a year.

The “Royalcop” name has oft intrigued me tho’….copper?, Royal?, Royal protection?…another DD sign-on?

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 22 Jul 2022 21:31

AthleticoSpizz The “Royalcop” name has oft intrigued me tho’….copper?, Royal?, Royal protection?…another DD sign-on?

I need to change the name! Was in the Met for 10 years but moved on in 2015 (entirely by choice, I should probably add).

1554 posts