Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Hound » 24 Jul 2022 09:39

Did think Grabban may be on the radar

Not totally convinced we need another forward. Meite seems to be doing ok up there, the Joao, Long, Clarke and Ehib.

Puscas May yet hang around

Feels like enough for now, keep that loan handy for later in the window if we need it

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2022 10:20

Hound Did think Grabban may be on the radar

Not totally convinced we need another forward. Meite seems to be doing ok up there, the Joao, Long, Clarke and Ehib.

Feels like enough for now, keep that loan handy for later in the window if we need it

Grabban wouldn’t be a loan.

But he is 34

But he has scored better than a goal every 3 games during his time at Forest.

Melvin-Lambert, Clarke and Ehib are not going to play every week or even score huge amounts. Assuming Puscas goes then a 3rd recognised striker would allow them to take turns getting injured.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 24 Jul 2022 10:41

Andy Caroll is still unattached - I’d have him back if the deal was right (heavily performance based).

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2022 10:46

We could possibly play Azeez upfront too. Would much prefer a focus on another ten. There isn’t much creativity in central midfield now that we have lost Swift and Olise.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2022 10:50

Zip

We could possibly play Azeez upfront too. Would much prefer a focus on another ten. There isn’t much creativity in central midfield now that we have lost Swift and Olise.

Agreed, would love a young PL 10 to add energy and guile to the attack. No idea on names but one of the PL. sides must have the next Mount in need of getting games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2022 11:00

Zip

Yeah, depending on how we play. Think Hoilett could get a fair few assists crossing from the right. Ince has the potential.

We've got quite a lot of strikers... too many who are better elsewhere or very early in their career to take a full role though.

One or or maybe two of Azeez, Melvin-Lambert, Clarke and Ehibhatiomhan should probably go out on loan for the experience.

If we get another striker, they need to be one we can be confident can play a lot of games, in which case I think it makes Long rather redundant.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2022 11:11

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yeah, depending on how we play. Think Hoilett could get a fair few assists crossing from the right. Ince has the potential.

We've got quite a lot of strikers... too many who are better elsewhere or very early in their career to take a full role though.

One or or maybe two of Azeez, Melvin-Lambert, Clarke and Ehibhatiomhan should probably go out on loan for the experience.

If we get another striker, they need to be one we can be confident can play a lot of games, in which case I think it makes Long rather redundant.

I don’t think 3 strikers plus Meite is in any way excessive.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2022 11:13

I suspect Loum may be played ahead of Fornah. Ince inferred Fornah has a lot to learn so maybe a bench option.
We were very deep yesterday and on the occasions we had the ball there were very few options going forward. It’s going to be a slog of a season and although yesterday was underwhelming think we will have enough physicality and fitness to stay up. It won’t be pretty,

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2022 11:19

Think you’re attaching a bit much to yesterdays game - as said Brighton did that to many prem teams last year - check the stats from games against Palace for example

They are excellent at winning back possession and keeping the ball. Less good at defending or actually creating good chances, which is pretty much what we saw yesterday

There won’t be any team in the champ anything like that good at keep ball or pressing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2022 11:23

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Azeez we need. Two of the others can go. Clarke does score goals at u23, think he’s perfectly adequate 4th choice when we’ll often play one up top anyway imo

But if Long or Joao are injured then can use the loan there I reckon. Aware Grabban is a free not a loan, would have been a terrible use of a loan if he wasn’t

Ejaria, Ince, Hoilett, Hendrick can all play that ten role if that’s how we choose to play it. But if a good option became available then fair enough

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2022 11:26

Just saw the Hutchinson interview, seems a solid guy. Interesting that he says he's a defender but the graphic says he's a mid. Will it be a bit Joey van den Berg do you think? A bit of both?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2022 11:28

Hound Think you’re attaching a bit much to yesterdays game - as said Brighton did that to many prem teams last year - check the stats from games against Palace for example

They are excellent at winning back possession and keeping the ball. Less good at defending or actually creating good chances, which is pretty much what we saw yesterday

There won’t be any team in the champ anything like that good at keep ball or pressing.

Even allowing for the excellence of their pressing and ball retention we couldn’t muster a single attack in the first half and the passing of our midfielders was woeful. It has to be considerably better against Blackpool next week.
I do think Ince has a plan though. It’s clear fitness and physicality are going to be important and that’s fair enough given our restrictions. I think we have enough to finish bottom six and not bottom three and that’s good enough.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2022 11:29

NewCorkSeth Just saw the Hutchinson interview, seems a solid guy. Interesting that he says he's a defender but the graphic says he's a mid. Will it be a bit Joey van den Berg do you think? A bit of both?

If Sarr signs I’m guessing he will move to cdm. A tough tackler and organiser who will hopefully be more influential than Van Den Berg.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2022 11:30

Do agree the passing wasn’t good enough yesterday. Ovie was poor and kept losing it, Fornah had a poor game. Yiadom and Ince struggled to retain it. Thought Hendrick improved as it went and Hoilett did well

But that’s great prep for playing a poorer standard next week. Not too worried by it really

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2022 11:32

Zip
NewCorkSeth Just saw the Hutchinson interview, seems a solid guy. Interesting that he says he's a defender but the graphic says he's a mid. Will it be a bit Joey van den Berg do you think? A bit of both?

If Sarr signs I’m guessing he will move to cdm. A tough tackler and organiser who will hopefully be more influential than Van Den Berg.

Is Sarr right or left footed? We seem to be building a lot of similarly positioned players and I can already hear Ian saying something about square pegs and round holes.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2022 11:33

Hound Do agree the passing wasn’t good enough yesterday. Ovie was poor and kept losing it, Fornah had a poor game. Yiadom and Ince struggled to retain it. Thought Hendrick improved as it went and Hoilett did well

But that’s great prep for playing a poorer standard next week. Not too worried by it really

I didnt watch it but, and I hate to admit this, aren't Brighton insanely good at exerting their style and twmpo on opposition? It was a silly idea to play them as a friendly. What were we going to learn? How shit we are compared to one of the better organised Premier League teams?

Edit: ah I see you've said as much above. Are they bad at creating good scoring opportunities though? I thought they are a meme because of how much xG they generate and fail to capitalise on?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2022 11:37

Hound Do agree the passing wasn’t good enough yesterday. Ovie was poor and kept losing it, Fornah had a poor game. Yiadom and Ince struggled to retain it. Thought Hendrick improved as it went and Hoilett did well

Graham Potter is a very good manager. They were impressive. Found it hard to watch though. Ejaria has to do better. He could so easily have been punished for giving the ball away in dangerous positions.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jul 2022 11:42

NewCorkSeth
Zip

Is Sarr right or left footed? We seem to be building a lot of similarly positioned players and I can already hear Ian saying something about square pegs and round holes.

Left footed. Don’t listen to master Royal. You cannot take someone seriously when they are usually dressed head to toe in orange with “Lib Dems” on the front of his shirt and “winning here” on the back.
Just give him hell Sethmondo.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2022 11:47

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Left footed. Don’t listen to master Royal. You cannot take someone seriously when they are usually dressed head to toe in orange with “Lib Dems” on the front of his shirt and “winning here” on the back.
Just give him hell Sethmondo.

You mean we can finally go ahead with my TMac up top plan? I have dreamed of this day.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2022 12:10

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Zip

I don’t think 3 strikers plus Meite is in any way excessive.

Joao, Puscas, Long, Clarke, Melvin-Lambert, Meite, Ehibhatiomhan and Azeez are all either strikers, or can play there. That's at least six, potentially up to 8.

I thought you wanted me to put you on ignore, but about 12 hours later you're talking to me and quoting me. :roll:

1554 posts