236 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2022 20:13

When : Saturday 27th August 2022, 3pm
Where : The Den, London, SE16 3LN
Capacity : 20,146

Next for the seemingly rejuvenated Royals is the first in a run of three very difficult and usually (for Reading) completely unrewarding away games; Millwall, Sheffield United and Watford. What will make this even trickier than than normal is the fact that so far Reading have basically failed to turn up or compete in the two previous away games, both against teams who are likely to be struggling this season, so it’s really going to be a big ask to pull points out of these fixtures.

Millwall have started brightly with 7 points and have a 100% unbeaten home record after dispatching Stoke and Coventry. In addition they won the last 3 home games of last season as well meaning they’re currently on a run of 5 straight home wins so Reading will really need to be organised and on their game in this one.

The Lions lost 4 players over the summer in Jed Wallace, Mahlon Romeo, Maikel Kieftenbeld and Alex Pearce. In their place have arrived Benik Afobe from Stoke, George Honeyman from Hull and Zian Flemming from Fortuna Sittard all to liven up the midfield and attacking options at the club.

Though the midfield and attacking options have been livened up there is still very much a threat to be had from the defenders as between them Charlie Cresswell and Jake Cooper have already bagged 3 of the 5 goals Millwall have actually scored themselves (both of the other goals were scored for them by Swansea). Therefore some form of determination to not give away set pieces easily will required in the Reading ranks.

Injuries. Mason Bennett is the one player sidelined for Millwall. while Reading continue to have their usual injury crisis though Scott Dann may return to the ranks and Naby Sarr may actually be able to partake of a game so long as George Puscas has finally signed for someone (and he can remember how to play).

Referee

Premier League official Chris Kavanagh returns for his first Reading fixture in 5 years.

Previously

17 Apr 2017 > Reading 2-1 Rotherham United
13 Sep 2016 > Reading 0-0 Birmingham City
16 Aug 2015 > Reading 0-0 Leeds United

Historically

This will be the 103rd league game against Millwall and the 52nd time Reading will have trekked across to South East London. Currently it is definitely a case of the home team ruling as Millwall have won more than half of those league games (28) to Reading's tally of just 10. There is also a tendency to concede goals like they're going out of fashion at Millwall with Reading's 39 strikes being well and truly trounced by more than double the amount (80) from Millwall.

Finally, recent form at the Den has seen just 2 points return to Berkshire from the last 6 visits so a real test for what might be a new, improved Reading.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

by Hound » 23 Aug 2022 21:04

Could be a real bruising encounter this one. Be a good test of our progress

Not expecting a result but hopefully we can compete. Key will be not giving away silly set pieces opportunities I’d have thought

Any news on NGW? Heard a calf injury but any more than that?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2022 21:19

Will take a point now. Be good to score away as well.

McIntyre's winner at Sheffield Utd was the last away goal wasn't it?

Certainly not scored in the last 4 away games over last season and this.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 23 Aug 2022 22:21

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Aug 2022 01:03

jnr leon II wants me to take him to this.

I’m saying no.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2022 08:09

leon jnr leon II wants me to take him to this.

I’m saying no.

Was just talking to a colleague about the game yesterday and she was telling me about the delights of going to Millwall including being spat on from above by loads of the crowd as they left.

And all her friends arguing over who got to hold her hand in the hope being with a woman would make them safer from being attacked by the animals. :lol:

Can't say it's a ground I'm particularly keen to tick off.

My enduring memory of Millwall fans is one middle aged guy frothing at the mouth trying to climb the concrete wall at Y26 to get to the Reading fans whilst his 8 year old child looked terrified and cried behind him. I believe Manset got us a late winner that day.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Aug 2022 08:20

Will be my 4th trip to ‘wall.

Seen 0-0, 2-0 and 1-0, surely due a win at some point! Although saying that, would happily take a draw right now, considering our recent away form.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Aug 2022 09:00

Snowflake Royal Was just talking to a colleague about the game yesterday and she was telling me about the delights of going to Millwall including being spat on from above by loads of the crowd as they left.

Didn't happen

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Aug 2022 09:28

In other news, hearing trains are cancelled and its buses in and around London. What's people's journey plans?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Aug 2022 09:29

John Smith
Snowflake Royal Was just talking to a colleague about the game yesterday and she was telling me about the delights of going to Millwall including being spat on from above by loads of the crowd as they left.

Didn't happen

Must admit i cant vision an area where fans can spit on you from above at that ground or upon leaving.

If it was Wolves that be a different discussion.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Aug 2022 10:06

paultheroyal In other news, hearing trains are cancelled and its buses in and around London. What's people's journey plans?

The nearest station, South Bermondsey, is also closed for engineering works.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Aug 2022 10:27

paultheroyal In other news, hearing trains are cancelled and its buses in and around London. What's people's journey plans?

Jubilee line to Canada Water or Overground to Canada Water or Surrey Quays will be the easiest.

About a 30min walk from CW and a 15min walk from SQ.

Leadbelly's Bar just outside CW is pretty decent for both food and drink.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Aug 2022 10:52

Hendo

Jubilee line to Canada Water or Overground to Canada Water or Surrey Quays will be the easiest.

Great stuff - thank you

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Aug 2022 11:13

If Sarr is available does he start? We know all about Millwall's aerial threat so this would be the ideal game for him to play but who gets dropped?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Aug 2022 11:16

paultheroyal
Hendo

Great stuff - thank you

No worries, living in SE16 for 2 years gave me a decent insight :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Aug 2022 11:22

Zip If Sarr is available does he start? We know all about Millwall's aerial threat so this would be the ideal game for him to play but who gets dropped?

Whoever’s been injured in training I suppose

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Aug 2022 11:45

Zip If Sarr is available does he start? We know all about Millwall's aerial threat so this would be the ideal game for him to play but who gets dropped?

Hutchinson personally, simply because he went off injured last weekend so don't know how fit he is for this game and how well he's done preparation wise. If not, it's tough as the defence have done well in the last couple of games, reasons to drop both Holmes/TMac though for the sake of a game.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Aug 2022 11:48

But anyway would be happy with a score draw right now considering our struggles on the road recently. It will be a tough one though, although they have won their last 5 home games, so due to drop points somewhere and we will definitely take some confidence into this game.

A lot will depend on who is available from the last couple of games as well for us, but we should be able to compete nonetheless really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2022 12:32

I'd say no, barring injury personally.

If you bring him in, you have to drop one of:
Holmes - best CB so far probably
Hutchinson - only just introduced him, or
McIntyre - one duff performance v Rovrum.

Or move McIntyre to LWB and drop Hoilett. I don’t think McIntyre has the pace to get up and down the line enough at LWB nor the attacking prowess. And Hoilett has been performing well. Not to mention you still have NGW to come back who should probably be first choice LWB right now if fit.

Or you could move McIntyre into midfield, but then you're putting square pegs in round holes and dropping Loum or Fornah, which seems daft. Or Hendrick and pushing Loum forward, still not particularly clever imo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2022 12:36

YorkshireRoyal99 But anyway would be happy with a score draw right now considering our struggles on the road recently. It will be a tough one though, although they have won their last 5 home games, so due to drop points somewhere and we will definitely take some confidence into this game.

A lot will depend on who is available from the last couple of games as well for us, but we should be able to compete nonetheless really.

I think it will depend heavily on how we approach the game. If we're conservative and sit back like against Middlesbrough, I think we'll lose comfortably. If we try to take the game to them like against Blackburn, I think we have every chance of getting something out of it.

236 posts