296 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a)

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2022 18:23

When : Tuesday 30th August 2022, 7.45pm
Where : Bramall Lane, Sheffield, S2 4SU
Capacity : 32,702

Well I don’t know what reality we and club have all slipped into recently but let’s hope we don’t all slip back anytime soon. Unbelievably this game is 2nd v 1st in the table but despite that many will still have this as an odds on home banker but given how early it is in the season and Reading are amongst nearly everyone’s tip for relegation that’s probably not a surprise.

The Blades have managed 11 points so far from three home wins out of three (v Millwall, Sunderland and Blackburn) and a couple of draws on the road (1-1 at Luton and 2-2 at Middlesbrough). Their only league defeat so far arrived courtesy of a visit to Watford, where Reading go for their next away game, on the opening day.

Sheffield had a fairly active summer with David McGoldrick, Lys Mousset, Zak Brunt and Luke Freeman all departing and Anel Ahmedhodžić, a Bosnia & Herzegovinian international centre back, arriving on a permanent deal from Malmo together with four loanees from the Premier League; Ciaran Clark (centre back/left back) from Newcastle, Reda Khadra (winger) from Brighton and a pair from Manchester City in midfielders James McAtee and Tommy Doyle.

The goal threat thus far for the red half of Sheffield has come from midfield with half of their ten league strikes so far being thanks to Sander Berge and Iliman Ndiaye. Oliver Norwood is an ever present for them and has scored too so it really looks like Reading have to shut down that area of the field by whatever means they can. For the record the other players with a small Reading connection (George Baldock (Tom’s brother) and Billy Sharp (36 now)) are still with the Blades.

The one downer to this game that Reading have to overcome is their atrocious away league record for midweek games which now stands at 4 wins from 49 attempts and none whatsoever when the opposing team does not begin with the letter “B”.

On the injury front things might be starting to look manageable though I’m trying not to tempt any fate. This game should hopefully see Dann back in the squad and if it does that’d leave just Azeez, Ejaria, Meite and Moore on the sidelines :shock:

Meanwhile at the Sheffield end of things there are six casualties reported; Billy Sharp, Enda Stevens, Jack Robinson, Jack O’Connell, Jayden Bogle and Adam Davies.

Note - Mr Hutchinson is likely to encounter a rough time of it in this one given his Sheffield Wednesday connections, let’s hope he’s prepared and it aids rather than damages his game.

Referee

Gavin Ward

Previously

15 Apr 2022 > Sheffield United 1-2 Reading
08 Jan 2022 > Kidderminster Harriers 2-1 Reading (FA Cup)
02 Nov 2021 > Millwall 1-0 Reading
02 Mar 2021 > Reading 1-0 Blackburn Rovers
05 Dec 2020 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
03 Oct 2020 > Reading 1-0 Watford
04 Feb 2020 > Cardiff City 3-3 Reading (FA Cup)
22 Apr 2019 > Reading 0-0 West Bromwich Albion
12 Mar 2018 > Reading 0-3 Leeds United
01 Sep 2018 > Reading 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday
25 Aug 2015 > Portsmouth 1-2 Reading (League Cup)
20 Dec 2014 > Reading 0-1 Watford
25 Oct 2014 > Reading 3-0 Blackpool
17 Apr 2012 > Reading 1-0 Nottingham Forest
01 Feb 2011 > Cardiff City 2-2 Reading
16 Mar 2010 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
11 Aug 2009 > Reading 5-1 Burton Albion (League Cup)

Historically

Another club where league visits were unknown until the late 1970s. Since then Reading have made 21 trips to the ground and not done too badly to date by recording 6 victories to 9 defeats though recent form both there and in Reading is pretty dreadful overall despite the Good Friday “miracle” of last season.

Including the aforementioned miracle Reading have garnered four points the last five visits and overall Reading are averaging 1 goal per league visit to the Lane.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Red button
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
Last edited by Sutekh on 28 Aug 2022 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Aug 2022 19:04

I'd be very happy with a draw from this. Would like to see Hoilett or Guiness-Walker come in for one of the four CBs. But always hard to change a winning side.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Aug 2022 19:04

Take a draw now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2022 20:01

Further Sheffield injury problems. Wes Foderingham is a slight doubt following the game at Luton and John Fleck will miss the match having broken a leg in the same game.

Also striking prospect Will Lankshear is expected to join Spurs for around £2m in the next few days. Lastly the media are also linking Sander Berge with a move to Liverpool which would also aid Reading greatly if that was quickly to come to fruition.

Guess could be the best time to play them but is going to be incredibly difficult. Hopefully Reading will work on taking their chances in the little bit of time they have before the game after the Hendrick and Long misses at Millwall which would have greatly helped ease them over the line before the final whistle.

JR

by JR » 27 Aug 2022 21:38

Is the red button active yet? Recall a post saying it wasn’t until September?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Aug 2022 11:35

Biggest test of the season so far against a team who have an incredibly strong home record since Heckingbottom has arrived

Usually reserve some of our worst performances for this lot, Stam’s 3-1 defeat, Marshall’s gutless 2-0 defeat, getting thumped 4-0 under Gomes and one game of a long list of a Paunovic horror show so last season’s win was a pleasant surprise, got it spot on tactically

Will be difficult to emulate that but the general consensus is that when Norwood ticks, Sheffield ticks and vice versa so we can’t afford to let him dictate the play. Drinkwater, McIntyre and Laurent won the midfield battle last year and that’s where I think we need to target again

Would bring Long in for Joao with the intention of then starting Joao on Sunday - no need to burn one out given we have two good options now. Would like to fit Hoilett in but hard to drop anyone in a defensive sense

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Aug 2022 11:42

Probably a step too far to expect us to win there again, go on you buggers surprise us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2022 11:44

Snowflake Royal I'd be very happy with a draw from this. Would like to see Hoilett or Guiness-Walker come in for one of the four CBs. But always hard to change a winning side.

I'd go with Hoilett, has an uncanny ability to win free kicks in good positions. Make the most of Sarr in the box while we can.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2022 11:51

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I'd be very happy with a draw from this. Would like to see Hoilett or Guiness-Walker come in for one of the four CBs. But always hard to change a winning side.

I'd go with Hoilett, has an uncanny ability to win free kicks in good positions. Make the most of Sarr in the box while we can.

Which CB would you drop?

It's between McIntyre and Hutchinson, I'd probably lean Hutch. Would probably agree Hoilett over NGW for Sheff to give him longer to recover and go for experience first.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2022 11:53

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Which CB would you drop?

It's between McIntyre and Hutchinson, I'd probably lean Hutch. Would probably agree Hoilett over NGW for Sheff to give him longer to recover and go for experience first.

Sadly I lean McIntyre.. Hutch is there to do a different job. Loum covers, Hutch smashes. Even won a good defensive header from a corner(?). McIntyre drops out by the skin of his teeth.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2022 11:56

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I'd go with Hoilett, has an uncanny ability to win free kicks in good positions. Make the most of Sarr in the box while we can.

Which CB would you drop?

Sadly I lean McIntyre.. Hutch is there to do a different job. Loum covers, Hutch smashes. Even won a good defensive header from a corner(?). McIntyre drops out by the skin of his teeth.

Hard to argue... my only reasons for differing are McIntyre is more of the future, and he gives a nice balance with Sarr middle and him and Holmes either side, both comfortable switching betwee CB and FB, Sarr having what looks like a bit more pace.

And not wanting zip to be right about McIntyre being down the CB pecking order of course. :wink:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2022 12:02

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Which CB would you drop?

Hard to argue... my only reasons for differing are McIntyre is more of the future, and he gives a nice balance with Sarr middle and him and Holmes either side, both comfortable switching betwee CB and FB, Sarr having what looks like a bit more pace.

And not wanting zip to be right about McIntyre being down the CB pecking order of course. :wink:

Sarr is now our longest contracted player so I imagine he plays regardless. TMac is the future for sure but Holmes has started very well, and really suits playing as the right sided CB in a 3. His experience playing RB helped him a lot with the positional play required.

The central CB is a tough spot. Maybe Sarr can play there with his Height and athleticism but at Hudderfield he always played the Left side in a 3 and rarely played when they played a back 4 apparently.

TMac is caught in no man's land for me. Not as fast nor as tall as Sarr and not a LB.. maybe he's the best for playing central?

Anyway, good dilemma to have.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2022 12:06

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Sadly I lean McIntyre.. Hutch is there to do a different job. Loum covers, Hutch smashes. Even won a good defensive header from a corner(?). McIntyre drops out by the skin of his teeth.

Sarr is now our longest contracted player so I imagine he plays regardless. TMac is the future for sure but Holmes has started very well, and really suits playing as the right sided CB in a 3. His experience playing RB helped him a lot with the positional play required.

The central CB is a tough spot. Maybe Sarr can play there with his Height and athleticism but at Hudderfield he always played the Left side in a 3 and rarely played when they played a back 4 apparently.

TMac is caught in no man's land for me. Not as fast nor as tall as Sarr and not a LB.. maybe he's the best for playing central?

Anyway, good dilemma to have.

Aye... Holmes has really impressed me this season. Come on a lot (shows what having a proper team plan and organisation can do for you, rather than Clowno's bullshit and Pisswater starting counterattacks and going awol).

No way you drop Sarr after that debut.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Aug 2022 12:54

Hutchinson considering he broke he nose and still coming back to fitness

Holmes has been superb this season so far. Turning into the brute at the back we want him to be

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Aug 2022 12:57

Last team to beat them at home in the league was...us so hopefully history will repeat itself.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Aug 2022 13:24

Dare I say title decider? Would take a draw, but think we'll sneak it.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Aug 2022 13:50

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Which CB would you drop?

Shakes head in direction of master Royal.
It’s a difficult one but a nice problem for Ince to have. I do think Sarr and Holmes would be seen as Ince’s first choices. TMac or Hutchinson? Sheesh not an easy call. Good arguments for either could be made.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Aug 2022 15:58

It Hutchinson isn't ready, then obviously he would be the one to drop but other than that probably McIntyre, only owing to the fact he was the wing back yesterday and if we want to freshen it up, then I'd just make a like-for-like change, it's a difficult decision as every player who has featured in defensive positions over the last 3 games has been very good, as mentioned, it's a nice problem to have.

Reiterating a lot of the same above though, would happily take a draw from this game. Chalk off one of our most difficult fixtures of the season, hopefully with something to show for it and another point we can add to our tally that my be vital at the end of the season. If we battle like we have in our last 3 games, no reason to not believe we can't come away with a win though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Aug 2022 21:38

They look a solid team with some quality still there - likes of Norwood, Berge, McBurnie all decent player

Interesting to see Luton gave them a very good game though, imagine they aren’t dissimilar to us tactics wise

Still expect we’d do very very well to get anything from it. And don’t think we will

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2022 23:42

Hound They look a solid team with some quality still there - likes of Norwood, Berge, McBurnie all decent player

Interesting to see Luton gave them a very good game though, imagine they aren’t dissimilar to us tactics wise

Still expect we’d do very very well to get anything from it. And don’t think we will

The CB they signed in the summer, Ahmedhodzic, is a powerhouse on FM22..
Kinda looking forward to seeing him play in a "I wonder how good he will be" sort of way.
The last CB that really impressed me at this level was Ben White at Leeds. Much like Emi for us he just looked way too good for the Championship.

296 posts