BFTG-Stoke

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG-Stoke

by Franchise FC » 04 Sep 2022 20:30

Royalcop
AthleticoSpizz
Royalcop First game this season so a chance to see the new signings. Very impressed by Fornah, Hendrick less so - thought he would be more creative - Hutchinson was ok but that early tackle was stupid; none of our three CBs filled me with much confidence. Long wasn’t on it today and looks overweight to me, hope he doesn’t turn out to be a signing based more on nostalgia than what the team needed. Thought we really lacked a ball-playing mid today i.e. Swift, maybe Ejaria can fill this role but he’s so inconsistent.

Rahman coming on second half made a big difference and I don’t remember a RFC team battling that hard since McDermott days - very encouraging.

Oh and Lumley was great, unflappable and decent distribution. Saw him in the car park after the game and made a point of thanking him for making the first goal.
btw, we won

Oh sorry, of course - we won so all objectivity abandoned and everyone gets 10/10 until we lose, then it’s 0/10s all round :roll:

I’ll add some objectivity.
The way we play is not necessarily going to suit a ball playing midfielder. In fact the way TInce played he filled that role well enough
Most on here haven’t lost their senses and have, rightly, given 7’s, 8’s and the odd 9. No 10’s at all as far as I remember
I actually thought that the swap of Hoillett for Rahman simply gave us legs but pretty much the same performance as I thought Hoillett had done very well. And Rahman was only on for 20 minutes
As for Long being overweight, I presume you didn’t watch the whole game. He pulled his shirt up to wipe sweat and there’s plenty of current players that would kill for his shape

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Sep 2022 21:18

AthleticoSpizz Currist

Enjoy the moment(s)

Didn’t realise that there were two ‘Royal Jimmys’ here :lol:

Yep agreed. Third in the table despite a very tough transfer embargo and seven players out injured(this includes Moore) is terrific.
To have picked up five League wins by early September is therefore exceptional. Also a bit baffled by the comment regarding Hutchinson who cut out so many crosses because his positioning was spot on.

We all know it’s likely we will drop down the table but as long as we finish above the relegation zone then we can start next season with the ability to strengthen as well as retain a good number of the current squad who are showing real commitment wearing the shirt.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2022 21:20

Additional shout out to Tom Holmes who I think is only behind Tom Ince as pots so far. Been outstanding

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2022 21:24

It's obviously fine to keep your feet on the ground and be objective. But there's some really weird comments in there.

None of the CBs filled him with confidence? :|

Long overweight? :|

Rahman made a big difference? :|

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Sep 2022 21:27

I thought the post match interview / presentation on Sky with Joao and TInce was great. Joao thought he’d been given MOTM but had to give to TInce.

Joao said he was very tired and TInce made a couple of tongue in cheek comments about doing all of Joao’s running for him, and that Joao hadn’t ever made a run in behind the defence. Clearly his lack of work rate is something the players take the piss out of him for. I found it funny (but also quite insightful)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Sep 2022 21:30

Snowflake Royal It's obviously fine to keep your feet on the ground and be objective. But there's some really weird comments in there.

None of the CBs filled him with confidence? :|

Long overweight? :|

Rahman made a big difference? :|

Some odd comments although I did think Baba did well when he came on

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Sep 2022 21:34

Hutchinson and Ince were superb as mentioned, but also thought Yids generally did a good job of keeping Fosu quiet.

Liam Delap was shite and somehow got away with the most blatant yellow card you'll ever see.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 05 Sep 2022 06:50

Obviously picking up the wins and points is a huge source of satisfaction at the moment, but I’m almost taking more delight in recalling fans of other club’s (and the media) predictions for us over the summer.

All we heard about the signings were “ :lol: :lol: :lol: they are shit, Reading are going down”, and “you’ve got Ince as managed, League 1 here you come”. It makes things all the more sweeter 8)

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Sep 2022 07:07

URZZZZZZZZ Obviously picking up the wins and points is a huge source of satisfaction at the moment, but I’m almost taking more delight in recalling fans of other club’s (and the media) predictions for us over the summer.

All we heard about the signings were “ :lol: :lol: :lol: they are shit, Reading are going down”, and “you’ve got Ince as managed, League 1 here you come”. It makes things all the more sweeter 8)

Agreed! After every win, there is a common theme from the opposition’s fans, that is the worst we’ve played, we were shit and they are a terrible/very limited side, the ref was terrible, their manager’s tactics were all wrong and he’s clueless….long may it continue!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2022 07:44

Norfolk Royal
Zip Norrers. It was astonishing that Stoke didn’t pick up a single yellow card. They committed three times as many fouls as us.

Yes exactly. One of their players should have been sent off for the stamp on Yiadom. That’s a straight red.

Not sure if he was the same player who made three bookable tackles but whoever he was should have gone as well. I found the ref’s reluctance to book any Stoke player astounding, particularly after the early Hutchinson booking. Stoke must have made seven or eight worse fouls than the Hutch one during the game and no bookings. Astounding.

Really didn’t understand David Coote’s decisions on Stoke misdemeanours. There was the aforementioned naughtiness which was a yellow at the very least, Baker (I think) committed 3 or 4 fouls and therefore should have been carded for persistent foul play plus a couple of other incidents worthy of a card and yet nothing.

However he booked Hutchinson early on (probably rightly) and then booked Lumley late on for time wasting when the ball had been kicked into no man’s land in the stands and he was waiting fir simeone to retrieve it - was he expecting the keeper to climb into the stands to get the ball?

It’s the complete inconsistency that’s so frustrating.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Sep 2022 07:48

Sutekh However he booked Hutchinson early on (probably rightly) and then booked Lumley late on for time wasting when the ball had been kicked into no man’s land in the stands and he was waiting fir simeone to retrieve it - was he expecting the keeper to climb into the stands to get the ball?

From what I saw the ball was thrown back at Lumley and he headed back into the stand.....probably deserved a yellow.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2022 07:49

Wycombe Royal
Sutekh However he booked Hutchinson early on (probably rightly) and then booked Lumley late on for time wasting when the ball had been kicked into no man’s land in the stands and he was waiting fir simeone to retrieve it - was he expecting the keeper to climb into the stands to get the ball?

From what I saw the ball was thrown back at Lumley and he headed back into the stand.....probably deserved a yellow.

Missed that, fully justified then :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2022 08:21

Sutekh
Norfolk Royal
Zip Norrers. It was astonishing that Stoke didn’t pick up a single yellow card. They committed three times as many fouls as us.

Yes exactly. One of their players should have been sent off for the stamp on Yiadom. That’s a straight red.

Not sure if he was the same player who made three bookable tackles but whoever he was should have gone as well. I found the ref’s reluctance to book any Stoke player astounding, particularly after the early Hutchinson booking. Stoke must have made seven or eight worse fouls than the Hutch one during the game and no bookings. Astounding.

Really didn’t understand David Coote’s decisions on Stoke misdemeanours. There was the aforementioned naughtiness which was a yellow at the very least, Baker (I think) committed 3 or 4 fouls and therefore should have been carded for persistent foul play plus a couple of other incidents worthy of a card and yet nothing.

However he booked Hutchinson early on (probably rightly) and then booked Lumley late on for time wasting when the ball had been kicked into no man’s land in the stands and he was waiting fir simeone to retrieve it - was he expecting the keeper to climb into the stands to get the ball?

That yellow for Lumley was insanely brilliant refereeing.

Lumley headed it back off deliberately, 'struggled' to climb the barrier and then held the ball on the netting for several seconds when he already had hold of it rather than pick it up.

However, the rest of his display with a lack of cards was shambolic.

Wasn't Coote championed on here as a brilliant ref by OMA? I suppose compared to most we get a failure to brandish cards is pretty small fry. But he wasn’t much cop at all.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Sep 2022 08:24

I’d really rather refs focused on punishing offences related to what happens on the pitch than non offences like timewasting.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Sep 2022 08:40

Mr Optimist
URZZZZZZZZ Obviously picking up the wins and points is a huge source of satisfaction at the moment, but I’m almost taking more delight in recalling fans of other club’s (and the media) predictions for us over the summer.

Agreed! After every win, there is a common theme from the opposition’s fans, that is the worst we’ve played, we were shit and they are a terrible/very limited side, the ref was terrible, their manager’s tactics were all wrong and he’s clueless….long may it continue!

That is absolutely spot on - right on point. Exactly what i am seeing.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Sep 2022 08:42

Sutekh
Norfolk Royal

The only inconsistency Sutekh, and now you will appreciate how difficult refereeing is, its when simple posts like this you get woefully wrong. Imagine trying to get it right over 90 minutes!! :lol:

Lumley booking, caused by Lumley himself was the easiest yellow all season.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 05 Sep 2022 09:03

paultheroyal
Mr Optimist

That is absolutely spot on - right on point. Exactly what i am seeing.

Since we got to the this league, every football club and its fans still think Reading as this tiny club and its embarrassing for them to be playing against us let alone lose.
Isn't there a big % of sackings come after a loss to Reading?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Sep 2022 09:15

Nameless I’d really rather refs focused on punishing offences related to what happens on the pitch than non offences like timewasting.

Indeed, although it's irrirtating, it isn't dangerous and the outcome is within the ref's control. See time wasting, add on another 30 secs, and tell everyone what you are doing. (Although I get that initial added on time may not be fully under the man in the middle's control.)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Sep 2022 09:34

paultheroyal
Sutekh
Norfolk Royal

The only inconsistency Sutekh, and now you will appreciate how difficult refereeing is, its when simple posts like this you get woefully wrong. Imagine trying to get it right over 90 minutes!! :lol:

There’s no debate that the Lumley booking was correct.
But it’s very frustrating when the ref books a player for their first foul after 4 minutes then doesn’t see any of the subsequent fouls as being of the same magnitude. It’s frustrating when the ref books a player for timewasting yet takes no action against players repeatedly standing on the ball to stop a free kick being taken.
I know refereeing isn’t easy, I did it for years, I know you don’t get the full story from the stands but you see enough to be baffled by what goes on at times.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Sep 2022 09:39

Nameless
paultheroyal
Sutekh

There’s no debate that the Lumley booking was correct.
But it’s very frustrating when the ref books a player for their first foul after 4 minutes then doesn’t see any of the subsequent fouls as being of the same magnitude. It’s frustrating when the ref books a player for timewasting yet takes no action against players repeatedly standing on the ball to stop a free kick being taken.
I know refereeing isn’t easy, I did it for years, I know you don’t get the full story from the stands but you see enough to be baffled by what goes on at times.

I totally agree with the timing of the first booking and said so at the time - set his stall out way to early with that one - but then never really followed it up when equally worse fouls committed.