118 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Watford (a)

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2022 10:47

When : Saturday 10th September 2022, 3pm
Where : Vicarage Road, Watford, WD18 0ER
Capacity : 22,200

Another trip to a proverbial “yo-yo” club next, let’s hope it works out rather better than the last trip to a proverbial “yo-yo” club - well the result couldn’t really be worse could it?

While Reading FC is much improved overall on last season (and probably on the last time this fixture was played in April 2021) the club is still very much work in progress drawn to the very limit because of ffp and injuries. Despite the good start to the season, expectation for Reading in this game isn’t high, especially when viewed with the history of the fixture and Watford’s superior squad due to the Hornet’s current ability to bounce around the upper Championship and lower Premier League, and I think we’d probably all take a draw now if it was offered.

The Hornets have started the season thoroughly decently and Rob Edwards’ boys are a dangerous proposition having lost on only one occasion so far but that defeat was at home to the other blue and white hooped bunch in this division, so perhaps there might be something to be had if everyone could be on their game on the day.

Although Watford have won only one of their last five league games they are difficult to beat as they’ve drawn three in that run and only lost to QPR by the odd goal in five. They also had a difficult opening to the season but came through with flying colours after beating Sheff U and Burnley at home and getting a point at the Hawthorns.

Most of the damage inflicted by Watford is caused by the forward players; Vakoun Bayo (arrived for a mere £5m from Gent in the summer), Ismaila Sarr and Joao Pedro all of whom have scored twice and it will take some determination to limit and stifle the threat posed. Tom Cleverley and Ken Selma have also contributed from midfield while the Reading connection now is by way of former loanee Tom Dele-Bashiru and substitute keeper Ben Hamer (another summer signing).

The possible chink in Watford’s armour may be the loss of midfielder Emmanuel Dennis to Forest in mid August as it has been since then that Watford seem to have lost a little something from the side and been a little more “human” however they don’t tend to concede easily and their games so far have all been very close affairs with just one goal deciding matters when taking or conceding the three points.

Injuries for Reading are improving but are still an issue leaving the club stretched to the limit which doesn’t help trying to keep the playing side of things “fresh”. Loum and Sarr are now both likely to be missing until after the international break, Dann is going to be out probably until December given the November break. Meite and Ejaria shouldn’t be far away and having them available would really give more threat to the squad but whether they’ll make it in the next week remains to be seen. Be nice to pick up Luonga as a free agent to give some flexibility but can’t see anything happening - surely it would have done already if it was to happen at all?

Watford have a few issues of their own with Juraj Kucka a doubt and Tom Cleverly, Tom Dele-Bashiru, Imran Louza, Samuel Kalu and Rey Manaj all expected to miss the game.

Referee

Robert Madley

Previously

06 May 2018 > Cardiff City 0-0 Reading
28 Apr 2012 > Birmingham City 2-0 Reading
10 Mar 2012 > Reading 3-1 Leicester City

Historically

This is another of the "should be but isn't" derbies, while Luton are the recognised derby partners they have only played Watford 86 times while Reading have actually locked horn(ets) with the Hertfordshire residents on 119 occasions in all competitions which I think makes this one of the most played fixtures outside of games between the top PL sides.

Watford is around 40 miles from Reading and the two clubs are sharing their 52nd season together and they are inseparable in league wins with both having managed 40 but Watford currently sneak it overall when including cup games with 48 wins to Reading’s 45.

As with the reverse fixture for Watford, this fixture is a complete graveyard for Reading with Vicarage Road being one of the worst places the club has to go to play league games. Of the the 51 previous visits Reading have just 9 wins to show for their efforts while Watford have won on 32 occasions. In addition Reading have had a tendency to concede goals there like it’s going out out of fashion having let in 95 which is almost 2 a game while Watford’s defence has only been breached on 33 occasions.

Therefore it will take quite something to reverse the general trend of misery that comes with this league fixture so perhaps we can all be relieved that it isn’t revered as a derby game. And on a positive note this fixture is at least not going to be one the club have to endure when things start to get spicier at the end of a season.

How to follow the game

1. Ticket
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (a)

by windermereROYAL » 06 Sep 2022 10:53

Robert Madley been demoted after his VAR fuck at the weekend.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2022 11:00

windermereROYAL Robert Madley been demoted after his VAR fuck at the weekend.

If you’re referring to fall out from the Newcastle/West Ham game then no as it wasn’t Robert who had that game it was his older brother Andy.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Sep 2022 11:37

Sutekh
windermereROYAL Robert Madley been demoted after his VAR fuck at the weekend.

If you’re referring to fall out from the Newcastle/West Ham game then no as it wasn’t Robert who had that game it was his older brother Andy.

Is this the same Bobby Madley who was done for mocking disabled people?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Sep 2022 12:04

I've gone for 1-1 (we have to break the sequence occasionally)
but if we concede early I will need to find a deep, dark cave.

Dreamt Lumley saved a last minute penalty with the score 1-1.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Sep 2022 12:55

Away game, near or in London, opposition has decent home form?

Gotta be a 1-0 win for us. McIntyre in the 18th minute. Nervy last 10 with 6 minutes added time.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2022 14:40

NewCorkSeth Away game, near or in London, opposition has decent home form?

Gotta be a 1-0 win for us. McIntyre in the 18th minute. Nervy last 72 with 6 minutes added time.

Corrected for you.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Sep 2022 14:50

Still too few options, too many injuries, asking too much of too few. And Watford have some very decent players

2-0 defeat I reckon

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Sep 2022 14:59

No game midweek may help us. Hope Ince doesn't over think the formation this time.

Get in their face and make it tough for them and see if we can't nick a goal. Head says 2-0 Watford though, just too much quality in their side.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Sep 2022 15:16

There are some quality players in Watford's side. It's a big ask for us

3-1 to Watford.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Sep 2022 15:16

There are some quality players in Watford's side. It's a big ask for us

3-1 to Watford.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Sep 2022 15:55

can we have one more comment about Watford - and then one about Reading to match your 3:1 please. Ta.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Sep 2022 16:01

I'm going to stop posting from my mobile as I seem to be duplicating posts.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Sep 2022 16:29

Get the feeling of a 3-0 as I don't trust us to score that many away from home at the moment, particularly against the leagues better sides. Sarr, Pedro and co will probably run our defence ragged though up front. We could maybe nick a goal from a set piece, but we haven't really looked like scoring that much in open play away from home this season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2022 17:23

I struggle to see our style of playing coping here if we continue in the same vein.

We sit back and defend too much relying on the counter. Watford are likely to dominate possession and with their quality find a break through. They'll then probably pick us off as we try for an equaliser and we'll finish the game deep with no out ball.

I think we're likely to lose by at least 2 clear goals.

If we can get ourselves up the field and hassle them in their half we have a chance. I think if they score first we have no chance, if we score first we've got a decent chance of at least a draw, because despite being under the cosh a lot we're not bad at defending a lead by any stretch.

Would take a 1-1 all day long.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 06 Sep 2022 18:56

It is almost tempting to hold a couple of players back for a more winnable home game on Tuesday against Sunderland if we have a few carrying knocks from the weekend.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Sep 2022 18:58

I have watched Watford a couple of times on Sky and I haven’t been overly impressed tbh. Saying that, one of those games was at WBA and apart from Sarr’s wonder goal they were outclassed for most of the game. They’ll probably have too much firepower for us but I am going for a hopeful 2-2 draw.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Sep 2022 00:13

A narrow defeat here will be a step in the right direction given the heavy defeats we`ve ha on the road so far.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Sep 2022 06:34

Mr Optimist It is almost tempting to hold a couple of players back for a more winnable home game on Tuesday against Sunderland if we have a few carrying knocks from the weekend.

Wednesday.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 07 Sep 2022 07:01

Got us down for a 2-1 win, only because I think we can beat this lot.
Yes, they've got Pedro, Sarr and the others, but seriously if we play like we played against Blackburn or at the end against Stoke (was listening on RoyalsTV, so I might be wrong), then I think we can do it.

118 posts