257 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2022 18:42

When : Tuesday 1st November 2022, 7.45pm
Where : Kenilworth Road, 1 Maple Road, Luton, LU4 8AW
Capacity : 10,073

Well, after unfairly losing out at Burnley, Reading now make a localish trip to deepest Bedfordshire and visit a contender for the worst ground in the FL. Thankfully at least Luton aren’t the standard of Burnley so it shouldn’t be quite so nerve racking but all the same it’s still going to be very difficult game against a really useful team.

As usual with a midweek away trip, the odds on Reading failing to win are very high as Luton does not begin with B and it’s now 51 games since the last midweek away game at a team not beginning with the aforementioned letter. However, on the upside, that last win, 51 games ago, was at a team that began with L….

Luton have been hard to beat all season so far, their last 8 games have yielded 16 points from 4 wins and 4 draws the only defeat being a 4-0 reverse at Watford. The main threat is posed by Carlton Morris who’s knocked in 8 so far which is just under a goal every other game. Henri Lansbury and Cameron Jerome are also about the place adding experience to the Hatters too.

Paul Ince is allegedly seething after yet another refereeing stinker - presume at least one of the two incidents will be on the highlights for you to check over - and also because of Sky and their choice of selecting and moving the Preston game for coverage meaning less recovery time for his already stretched thin squad - it’s also the second time this season Reading have been done like that after the QPR change. When he calms down a bit then he’ll have what looks like to be the same squad available as he did at Burnley as Tom McIntyre’s injury is thought not too serious (famous last words of course). There will be changes to the starting line up though as Loum is suspended and will serve a 1 match ban.

Luton will be without the suspended Gabriel Osho but otherwise appear to be currently injury free.

The game is also Sky’s selection for the evening so the “red button” scenario doesn’t apply.

Referee

It gets better…

John “no Reading wins yet” Brooks

Previously

13 Apr 21 > Reading 1-1 Cardiff City.
04 Nov 20 > Reading 0-3 Preston North End
04 Jan 20 > Reading 2-2 Blackpool (FA Cup 3)
27 Apr 19 > Middlesbrough 2-1 Reading
09 Feb 19 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Reading
26 Jan 18 > Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Reading (FA Cup 4)
23 Dec 17 > Reading 1-2 Burton Albion

Historically

50 previous league games have been played down the years between the two teams so this is the 26th season the clubs have shared and therefore the 26th visit to Kenilworth Road. Hope it might be nearing the end of the road now with their new ground at last on the horizon.

Luton's little ground is a fairly unwelcome place for Reading as the Royals have only won 7 of the 25 league games played while they have been beaten on 14 occasions. Reading have also conceded 6 on two occasions and 5 on another and kept only 4 clean sheets at Kenilworth Road. And of course last season we all saw this happen:

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/ ... 2061980674

How to follow the game

1. Ticket yourself and travel
  2. SKY
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use the RoyalTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by CountryRoyal » 30 Oct 2022 00:54

We will have oxf*rd all of the ball and we will lose - with any luck by a bunch of goals so Ince doesn’t have the excuse of saying “we played really well and the game plan almost worked”.

Obviously I never want us to lose but I don’t believe this is the most effective way we can play. Even if we insist on this shape and style of play I think we have to start Long.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2022 01:06

CountryRoyal We will have oxf*rd all of the ball and we will lose - with any luck by a bunch of goals so Ince doesn’t have the excuse of saying “we played really well and the game plan almost worked”.

This IS Luton we're talking about right?

Average just less than 2% possession more than us, only won one more than us in the last six (bunch of draws), worse pass completion, 2 places above us in the league? Because it sounds like Sheff Utd

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Oct 2022 01:15

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal We will have oxf*rd all of the ball and we will lose - with any luck by a bunch of goals so Ince doesn’t have the excuse of saying “we played really well and the game plan almost worked”.

Average just less than 2% possession more than us, only won one more than us in the last six (bunch of draws), worse pass completion, 2 places above us in the league? Because it sounds like Sheff Utd

Where were Swansea before that debacle? It won’t matter who we play IF we continue to try and defend the entire game.

If we go on the front foot against Luton I think we will win, if we do our usual of late I can’t be optimistic.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2022 08:40

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Where were Swansea before that debacle? It won’t matter who we play IF we continue to try and defend the entire game.

If we go on the front foot against Luton I think we will win, if we do our usual of late I can’t be optimistic.

Some sense in that, with the forward options available the team should, at least sometimes, play to those strengths. Front two of Carroll and Long with Ince, Meite or Joao playing as a slightly withdrawn no. 9 should be enough to keep a lot of defences both busy and worried and perhaps mean opposition have to change the way they play. Trouble with anything though is getting the balance right so opponents don’t find it easy to overrun other areas and cut the supply lines to said front 3.

Therefore with everyone fit then think I’d select a team of Lumley, Yiadom, Sarr, McIntyre, Holmes, NGW, Hutchinson, Hendrick, Ince, Long and Carroll.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2022 09:24

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Where were Swansea? Averaging considerably higher possession, with a much higher pass completion.

I fully expect us to struggle away at a bit of a bogey team. But Luton are not good at dominating possesion or passing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2022 10:04

Luton v strong at home aren’t they?

Be a tough one this, have to match up to them physically, which shouldn’t be too much of an issue

Would certainly consider rotating the front line although I do like the Meite/Ince combo

Hope McIntyre is fit or it’ll be a struggle again at the back

Certainly a winnable game but need to stop conceding obviously - that’s 7 in 3 games away in which we should have had at least a point in each

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2022 12:07

I think it's time to give up on 3 CBs. We just don’t have the resources fit to do it.

McIntyre probably needs more time than a couple of days to be sure he's ok, especially given his history.

We absolutely need an Academy CB on the bench though.

oxf*rd it, let's surprise them and really go for it.

....................Lumley
Hoilett, Yiadom, Holmes, NGW
......Hendrick, Loum, Ejaria
Meite.................................Ince
......................Carroll

Bouzanis, Rahman, Abbey/Clarke, Fornah, Long, Joao, Camara

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Oct 2022 12:52

Hound Luton v strong at home aren’t they?

Be a tough one this, have to match up to them physically, which shouldn’t be too much of an issue

Would certainly consider rotating the front line although I do like the Meite/Ince combo

Certainly a winnable game but need to stop conceding obviously - that’s 7 in 3 games away in which we should have had at least a point in each

W2 D5 L2, I wouldn`t class that as strong.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2022 13:04

Hound Luton v strong at home aren’t they?

Luton have not proven especially good at home so far, though they have improved recently, league results at home have been :

0-0
0-1
1-1
1-2
2-2
2-0
3-3
3-1
1-1

So that’s 11 points from 9 games ( 2 wins and 5 draws ). They have conceded (11) just 2 less than they’ve scored (13) so it would suggest Reading have an opportunity but it’ll most likely depend on which defensive performance turns up and as we know Reading struggle in midweek away games, let alone after the tiring unfortunateness the club went through yesterday.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 Oct 2022 13:13

SKY Sports Arena channel 408

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2022 16:53

Snowflake Royal I think it's time to give up on 3 CBs. We just don’t have the resources fit to do it.

McIntyre probably needs more time than a couple of days to be sure he's ok, especially given his history.

......Hendrick, Loum, Ejaria

Bouzanis, Rahman, Abbey/Clarke, Fornah, Long, Joao, Camara

Loum’s suspended i think. Wouldn’t argue with the basic approach though

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Oct 2022 17:13

Shame about Loum as he was our best midfielder by far yesterday, finally starting to see some pretty solid performances now he's got back fit and with a bit of consistency under his belt, keeps him fresher for Friday I suppose.

I wouldn't mind sticking with the 3 at the back with an academy lad stepping in if McIntyre isn't available.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Oct 2022 17:18

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal This IS Luton we're talking about right?

Where were Swansea? Averaging considerably higher possession, with a much higher pass completion.

I fully expect us to struggle away at a bit of a bogey team. But Luton are not good at dominating possesion or passing.

Yeah, I think we are comparing 2 different teams entirely with Luton and Swansea. Given that their attack is 2/3's what Barnsley had last season (Morris and Woodrow), you'd anticipate that a direct style if what they'd be going for and their numbers pretty much match this.

McIntyre being fit would be a bonus and he's better in the air than others that can play there like Yiadom and Mbengue, the latter may step into midfield.

Luton aren't class, just a well-drilled side with some good players. Nothing we can't match on our day, but someone who could comfortably turn us over if we aren't at our best. Head says a 2-0 home win, heart is going for a 1-1 draw. Keep Morris and Adebayo quiet though and we could turn them over.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2022 19:37

Hound
Snowflake Royal I think it's time to give up on 3 CBs. We just don’t have the resources fit to do it.

......Hendrick, Fornah, Ejaria

Bouzanis, Rahman, Abbey/Clarke, Mbengue, Long, Joao, Camara

Loum’s suspended i think. Wouldn’t argue with the basic approach though

Oh yeah. Fixed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Oct 2022 08:02

Don't care how but we have to get a result here, a point is fine. 3 straight away defeats, having taken the lead each time is worrying regardless of the standard of the opposition - given we still have 3 games away from home before the WC we need to find a way to get a result in at least 1 of them and given the other two are Watford, who seem to be improving and Hull, which is frankly a graveyard for us - this match is looking pretty key.

I alway had a target of 29/30 pts by the WC, as I think we will improve after it with the lighter schedule - so need 4 points from these last 4 games to get there.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Oct 2022 08:51

Stranded Don't care how but we have to get a result here, a point is fine. 3 straight away defeats, having taken the lead each time is worrying regardless of the standard of the opposition - given we still have 3 games away from home before the WC we need to find a way to get a result in at least 1 of them and given the other two are Watford, who seem to be improving and Hull, which is frankly a graveyard for us - this match is looking pretty key.

I alway had a target of 29/30 pts by the WC, as I think we will improve after it with the lighter schedule - so need 4 points from these last 4 games to get there.

Agree with this.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Oct 2022 10:11

Surely our appalling away midweek record has to end sometime, let it be tomorrow.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 31 Oct 2022 18:24

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded Don't care how but we have to get a result here, a point is fine. 3 straight away defeats, having taken the lead each time is worrying regardless of the standard of the opposition - given we still have 3 games away from home before the WC we need to find a way to get a result in at least 1 of them and given the other two are Watford, who seem to be improving and Hull, which is frankly a graveyard for us - this match is looking pretty key.

Agree with this.

Yep - I always thought this run of games after the last international break looked tough, particularly as we are relying on the same back line still.

29/30 points would be very nice by the world cup all things considered.

The Watford game being re-scheduled next week is completely mad, the people who run the EFL have no understanding of modern football. I'd be gutted for baba or Junior if they get some muscle injury just before the world cup.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Nov 2022 07:18

Mid Sussex Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Agree with this.

Yep - I always thought this run of games after the last international break looked tough, particularly as we are relying on the same back line still.

29/30 points would be very nice by the world cup all things considered.

The Watford game being re-scheduled next week is completely mad, the people who run the EFL have no understanding of modern football. I'd be gutted for baba or Junior if they get some muscle injury just before the world cup.

But then the club still have to play at Hull after Watford so those players still have 4 games to “worry”. Actually wonder if the WC will come into some manager’s minds with regard to team selections eg. perhaps in some instances they may choose to “rest” certain players. Also might some players, even it’s just sub-consciously, not be quite “at it” for their clubs in the next week or two esp. those who play for the lesser nations given the once in a life time nature of the competition.

Anyway, when will the national various squads be announced?

257 posts