The magic of the FA Cup

326 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The magic of the FA Cup

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2023 11:05

Hendo
Dirk Gently
Hendo Over his time with us, I would say it was harsh to label him as a liability.

In his early days he certainly was - that Man Utd game and away at West Brom immediately spring to mind, as well as two blunders in a week (home to Stoke and away at Chelsea at the start of McD's PL season).

But even when he had more experience there was always the capacity for a monumental blunder - qv Wembley FA Cup semi-final.

On the other hand, the year we got promoted he kept the most clean sheets in the league and won POTS (I think).

Nope, he came second to Alex Pearce.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2023 12:23

Hendo
Dirk Gently
Hendo Over his time with us, I would say it was harsh to label him as a liability.

In his early days he certainly was - that Man Utd game and away at West Brom immediately spring to mind, as well as two blunders in a week (home to Stoke and away at Chelsea at the start of McD's PL season).

But even when he had more experience there was always the capacity for a monumental blunder - qv Wembley FA Cup semi-final.

On the other hand, the year we got promoted he kept the most clean sheets in the league and won POTS (I think).

All Pearce and Gorkss. :?

He was weak low to his corners and iirc dived over two in quick succession early in the Prem season which helped see us playing catch up.

I'd put him in same category as Lumley. Ok, but not great. Though Lumley is more a steady eddie and Fed a rollercoaster

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2023 12:27

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Dirk Gently

He was weak low to his corners and iirc dived over two in quick succession early in the Prem season which helped see us playing catch up.

I'd put him in same category as Lumley. Ok, but not great. Though Lumley is more a steady eddie and Fed a rollercoaster

Yep - but people loved him because he made camera saves that looked spectacular - without understanding that the only reason he made camera saves was that his initial positioning was so poor that he had much less time to react.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2023 12:39

Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Yep - but people loved him because he made camera saves that looked spectacular - without understanding that the only reason he made camera saves was that his initial positioning was so poor that he had much less time to react.

He did like a camera save, that's for sure

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2023 12:57

Dirk Gently
Hendo
Dirk Gently

Oh, ok - runner up. My bad :roll:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jan 2023 13:52

Hendo
Dirk Gently
Hendo

Oh, ok - runner up. My bad :roll:

POTS and runner up etc doesn't always mean a lot I think - often it's acknowledging a new player has impressed in his early career with us.

Having said that Federici did win POTS in 2014/2015

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2023 14:22

muirinho Having said that Federici did win POTS in 2014/2015

I think that was more of an emotional thing - voting was just a couple of weeks after his FA Cup semi-final howler and all the press coverage about how devastated he was...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jan 2023 14:44

Dirk Gently

I think that was more of an emotional thing - voting was just a couple of weeks after his FA Cup semi-final howler and all the press coverage about how devastated he was...

Have to admit I looked at some of the winners and runners up and just thought What??? Mo Barrow was 2nd one year for instance.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jan 2023 14:49

Dirk Gently

POTS is pretty much an emotional thing. Suspect the number of people who do a rigorous statistical analysis of all the contenders is limited to the number of HNA users with ‘snow’ in their name.
People vote for their favourite, for someone who did something special. I don’t think it has ever really been about the ‘best’ player

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2023 14:53

muirinho
Dirk Gently

Have to admit I looked at some of the winners and runners up and just thought What??? Mo Barrow was 2nd one year for instance.

He was decent that year tbf. Who won it - one of the keepers?

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 10 Jan 2023 14:57

Every goalie is liable to make a howler once or twice in a career and shouldn’t just be remembered for that unfortunate moment. The man was fairly solid between the sticks after taking over from Marcus, and who can forget the late equaliser against Cardiff?
What the Man did that was difficult to forgive is the calculated way in which he sold his soul for cash and a place on the subs bench at Bournemouth, with absolutely no prospects bar a growing bank account.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jan 2023 15:23

Hound
muirinho
Dirk Gently

Liam Moore. Liam Kelly was 3rd.

Had a look at the wikipedia page. It only has runners up for 5 of the last 10 years. it's been won by a goalkeeper 4 times. There's also a runner up goalkeeper spot (McCarthy in 2012/2013) So, keeper seems to be a popular choice. In a poor season, they can be seen as the only thing between us and the trapdoor, I guess.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2023 15:53

muirinho
Hound
muirinho

Had a look at the wikipedia page. It only has runners up for 5 of the last 10 years. it's been won by a goalkeeper 4 times. There's also a runner up goalkeeper spot (McCarthy in 2012/2013) So, keeper seems to be a popular choice. In a poor season, they can be seen as the only thing between us and the trapdoor, I guess.

It's usually won by keepers and strikers - they probably the most "visible" players to the majority of fans, especially kids.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2023 16:05

Dirk Gently
muirinho
Hound

It's usually won by keepers and strikers - they probably the most "visible" players to the majority of fans, especially kids.

Interestingly, have both Laurent and Yiadom won our last 2 POTS awards by our fans? I think Swift got players player of the year last season I think.

Going on the theme of strikers and goalkeepers, it's obviously very early to say, but I'd imagine Andy Carroll would be a decent bet for POTS if we keep him on and he continues like he has since we've returned from the WC break due to his popularity. Lumley is also gaining some more admirers in the fanbase but I don't think he will get it, although I think it's quite a tough choice thus far. I don't doubt we will also see the likes of Ince, Yiadom (again) and Holmes somewhere near, if they all continue like they have during the season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Jan 2023 16:44

YorkshireRoyal99
Dirk Gently
muirinho Liam Moore. Liam Kelly was 3rd.

Interestingly, have both Laurent and Yiadom won our last 2 POTS awards by our fans? I think Swift got players player of the year last season I think.

Going on the theme of strikers and goalkeepers, it's obviously very early to say, but I'd imagine Andy Carroll would be a decent bet for POTS if we keep him on and he continues like he has since we've returned from the WC break due to his popularity. Lumley is also gaining some more admirers in the fanbase but I don't think he will get it, although I think it's quite a tough choice thus far. I don't doubt we will also see the likes of Ince, Yiadom (again) and Holmes somewhere near, if they all continue like they have during the season.

Unless someone does something really dramatic my vote goes to TInce already
He was head and shoulders above everyone pre-WC

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 10 Jan 2023 16:56

Dirk Gently It's usually won by keepers and strikers - they probably the most "visible" players to the majority of fans, especially kids.

I assumed that would be the case as well, but if Wikipedia is to be believed (I haven't gone through them and added them up), the winners of POTS by position are:

Keepers: 11
Defenders: 18
Midfielders: 15
Forwards: 13

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Jan 2023 17:08

YorkshireRoyal99
Dirk Gently

Tom Ince is an absolute shoe-in for it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2023 18:22

YorkshireRoyal99
Dirk Gently

For me Ince is an absolute shoe in so far with Holmes no. 2.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2023 19:53

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Dirk Gently

For me Ince is an absolute shoe in so far with Holmes no. 2.

Ince
Holmes
Carroll

For me.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 10 Jan 2023 20:24

Dirk Gently In reality, it was a pretty even game after the early howlers from Adam Liability. I've just watched them back and I'd forgotten just how bad they were.

Just after the 2 minute mark in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPxBikbaEQs

Gunnarsson's shot was closer to goal than I remember.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that I remember we started with a back 3 in that game (with Gunnarsson playing CB IIRC) :? It was only when we changed to a back 4 about midway through the first half that we grew into the game. I've always thought playing a system that was so alien to the players contributed to our bad start to the game, though Fed's mistake for the first goal was simply a howler.

Agree with you in another post, on the big occasion in a PL game or in a cup game Federici could throw in a blunder. To add to the list of games you mentioned, don't recall the West Brom away match, also remember him being criticised on here at the time when we played Liverpool in the league cup in the 2007/8 season. And also there was criticism of his performance in the Swansea playoff final, though i didn't think he was too bad in that game tbh. McDermott mentioned on the podcast with Adie Williams about Sal Bibbo being sick before the game, which did make me wonder how good his preparation was going into it.

326 posts