326 posts
KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The magic of the FA Cup

by KC Royal » 10 Jan 2023 20:31

Hendo
Dirk Gently
Hendo
On the other hand, the year we got promoted he kept the most clean sheets in the league and won POTS (I think).

Nope, he came second to Alex Pearce.

Oh, ok - runner up. My bad :roll:

I remember Gorkss didn't even come in the top 3 that year despite being our best centre back (IMO). Karacan was the other one in it, despite missing a fair number of games either through injury at the end of the season, or through being out of favour at the start.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 10 Jan 2023 21:38

Hi everyone, long time no see.

Now there's going to be a game against a proper club, I might pop along. I'm sure someone will sell me a ticket. What are the players like these days? Any stand out superstars? Really looking forward to seeing Man Utd play again, it's been a long time since that turgid 0-0 at the start of the second prem season.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 10 Jan 2023 22:19

Sebastian the Red Hi everyone, long time no see.

Now there's going to be a game against a proper club, I might pop along. I'm sure someone will sell me a ticket. What are the players like these days? Any stand out superstars? Really looking forward to seeing Man Utd play again, it's been a long time since that turgid 0-0 at the start of the second prem season.

The Royalty Points scheme is really unfair. They could just make the tickets more expensive so normal people can get to go.

But they won't!

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Jan 2023 01:02

Sebastian the Red Hi everyone, long time no see.

Is there? Thought we were playing Man United, not Liverpool or Manchester City.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 11 Jan 2023 07:06

oldebiscuit
Hendo Over his time with us, I would say it was harsh to label him as a liability.

Every goalie is liable to make a howler once or twice in a career and shouldn’t just be remembered for that unfortunate moment. The man was fairly solid between the sticks after taking over from Marcus, and who can forget the late equaliser against Cardiff?
What the Man did that was difficult to forgive is the calculated way in which he sold his soul for cash and a place on the subs bench at Bournemouth, with absolutely no prospects bar a growing bank account.

I wouldn't say taking a freebie to a Prem team when you don't have to uproot your young family, is 'selling your soul for cash'. I forgive any player for taking a big pay day. It's a short career and you have to go for it at the highest level you can, when the opportunity presents itself.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Jan 2023 07:33

JedMaxwell
oldebiscuit
Hendo Over his time with us, I would say it was harsh to label him as a liability.

Every goalie is liable to make a howler once or twice in a career and shouldn’t just be remembered for that unfortunate moment. The man was fairly solid between the sticks after taking over from Marcus, and who can forget the late equaliser against Cardiff?
What the Man did that was difficult to forgive is the calculated way in which he sold his soul for cash and a place on the subs bench at Bournemouth, with absolutely no prospects bar a growing bank account.

I wouldn't say taking a freebie to a Prem team when you don't have to uproot your young family, is 'selling your soul for cash'. I forgive any player for taking a big pay day. It's a short career and you have to go for it at the highest level you can, when the opportunity presents itself.

Goalkeepers eh? All they think about is saving

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2023 08:44

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Interestingly, have both Laurent and Yiadom won our last 2 POTS awards by our fans? I think Swift got players player of the year last season I think.

Going on the theme of strikers and goalkeepers, it's obviously very early to say, but I'd imagine Andy Carroll would be a decent bet for POTS if we keep him on and he continues like he has since we've returned from the WC break due to his popularity. Lumley is also gaining some more admirers in the fanbase but I don't think he will get it, although I think it's quite a tough choice thus far. I don't doubt we will also see the likes of Ince, Yiadom (again) and Holmes somewhere near, if they all continue like they have during the season.

For me Ince is an absolute shoe in so far with Holmes no. 2.

Ince
Holmes
Carroll

For me.

I love Carroll, and he's an asset, but I don't think he's done anywhere near enough to be in the discussion yet. He adds a bit more to our current game plan than Joao, but his scoring rate this season is basically the same, and no one would be suggesting Joao as in the running for PotS. It's similar to Meite's too, who adds a whole lot more in chasing and pace, if less in hold up and aerials. And none of them have really played enough to qualify yet for me

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2023 08:56

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Snowflake Royal For me Ince is an absolute shoe in so far with Holmes no. 2.

Ince
Holmes
Carroll

For me.

I love Carroll, and he's an asset, but I don't think he's done anywhere near enough to be in the discussion yet. He adds a bit more to our current game plan than Joao, but his scoring rate this season is basically the same, and no one would be suggesting Joao as in the running for PotS. It's similar to Meite's too, who adds a whole lot more in chasing and pace, if less in hold up and aerials. And none of them have really played enough to qualify yet for me

I'd say Ince and Holmes are the frontrunners but, outside of them, who else would be in the running? Yiadom? Possibly Carroll? If they keep performing like they have, it will be up for debate at the end of the season. Although I don't think many will come close to the first two.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Jan 2023 09:01

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Dirk Gently
It's usually won by keepers and strikers - they probably the most "visible" players to the majority of fans, especially kids.

Interestingly, have both Laurent and Yiadom won our last 2 POTS awards by our fans? I think Swift got players player of the year last season I think.

Going on the theme of strikers and goalkeepers, it's obviously very early to say, but I'd imagine Andy Carroll would be a decent bet for POTS if we keep him on and he continues like he has since we've returned from the WC break due to his popularity. Lumley is also gaining some more admirers in the fanbase but I don't think he will get it, although I think it's quite a tough choice thus far. I don't doubt we will also see the likes of Ince, Yiadom (again) and Holmes somewhere near, if they all continue like they have during the season.

Loved that you used my phrase - we bonding?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Jan 2023 12:57

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Well, you both used the wrong word; it is shoo in, not shoe in.

https://writingexplained.org/shoo-in-or-shoe-in

HTH.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2023 13:20

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Ince
Holmes
Carroll

For me.

I'd say Ince and Holmes are the frontrunners but, outside of them, who else would be in the running? Yiadom? Possibly Carroll? If they keep performing like they have, it will be up for debate at the end of the season. Although I don't think many will come close to the first two.

At the moment I'm not sure anyone is. Carroll probably will be at the end of season tbf

Yiadom, Lumley, Hoilett, Hendrick are probably the next best to have played a big enough part. Loum, Fornah and McIntyre have probably been a bit too hit and miss and I don't think the others have really played enough.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2023 13:20

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Convergent evolution.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2023 13:21

Mr Angry
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal For me Ince is an absolute shoe in so far with Holmes no. 2.

Well, you both used the wrong word; it is shoo in, not shoe in.

https://writingexplained.org/shoo-in-or-shoe-in

HTH.

Thank you !

Although I'm not sure we should be taking English lessons from a web creator who can't proofread and write in grammatically correct sentences.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2023 17:01

Man Utd are likely playing the first leg of their EFL semi final on Wednesday and their second leg on Tuesday/Wednesday. So this will be a Saturday/Sunday fixture

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Jan 2023 19:27

Royal_jimmy Man Utd are likely playing the first leg of their EFL semi final on Wednesday and their second leg on Tuesday/Wednesday. So this will be a Saturday/Sunday fixture

Hopefully they'll draw City or Newcastle then there's a decent chance they will field a weakened side against us

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Jan 2023 19:35

Hi readers I’m tempted to go to this, but I haven’t been a season ticket holder since stam’s 1st season so my loyalty points are probably not up to scratch.

What are the usual loyalty points brackets? I’ve got 3280

I plan to take my daughter too who isn’t a member yet so has zero points. Can you usually get two tickets in one purchase? Or would I have to wait until they go on general sale to get two ticket together?

Thanks

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Jan 2023 20:21

Brogue Hi readers I’m tempted to go to this, but I haven’t been a season ticket holder since stam’s 1st season so my loyalty points are probably not up to scratch.

I plan to take my daughter too who isn’t a member yet so has zero points. Can you usually get two tickets in one purchase? Or would I have to wait until they go on general sale to get two ticket together?

Thanks

You will be fine. Anyone who wants a ticket for this will get one. Can’t see demand being high.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2023 08:59

Brogue Hi readers I’m tempted to go to this, but I haven’t been a season ticket holder since stam’s 1st season so my loyalty points are probably not up to scratch.

Thanks

Yeah you will have no problem getting a ticket with 3000+ loyalty points, only issue would be if we sell out which we probably aren't going to sell out the maximum they could offer us, or if we sell out our allocation and don't get anymore tickets from United.

I'll be going if it's on the Friday night or Sunday, other than that I won't be I don't think.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jan 2023 09:54

Thanks

You might be able to get 2 in one purchase. When we went to OT under Stam I took my step dad and step sister as they are both Utd fans and I am pretty sure I bought their tickets using my ST as well.

Will just have to wait to see how the club play it. I won't be going as I'll be in Cape Town.

secks

by secks » 13 Jan 2023 09:22

So when are the BBC/ITV going to decide their TV selections? I hope its before the replays so we know when we're playing!

326 posts