BFTG Norwich (a)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG Norwich (a)

by Sutekh » 30 Dec 2022 21:58

Glad it’s behind us now. Good point most of us would have taken if it was offered before the game. Can’t help feel a little disappointed it wasn’t all 3 esp. given some useful set pieces. That’s 4 points from the last 2 making the likely stuffing at the Hawthorns largely irrelevant.

Andy Carroll motm just for the penalty but thought by and large the whole team did well, though Sarr was the weakest.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Norwich (a)

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Dec 2022 22:01

Do we need to itemise a “weakest” ?….no

A great point…well done team

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2022 22:06

All good. Standard battling performance, kept going, looked dangerous from set pieces, bit dodgy at the back, lack of quality in final third. Story of the season so far summed up in one game

Happy to take the point; thought Norwich looked pretty average but the front two undeniably dangerous

Carroll played well, first choice striker for us now probably. Loum good again, likewise looks fit and sharp. Subs worked. Job done and a huge pat on the back for Ince and co for a very good 2022 all things considered

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Dec 2022 22:07

I think it does go to show how needed the break was for us so we could get bodies back fit again. Grinding out wins against Coventry and to an extent Swansea, but not particularly poor displays either, a weirdly decent performance against Birmingham but with 3 fatal errors which cost us and another more than solid performance tonight. Not expecting much at West Brom, but not sure it's much of a walkover victory as many might suspect.

We've hit a relatively good bit of form at the moment and took the game to Norwich tonight and, I agree, actually a bit disappointed we didn't come away with 3 points as you could argue we deserved it. Play like that at West Brom, no reason why we can't get a similar result.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2022 00:44

Good effort with a few wobbles and a little lacking in the crossing.

Think that might have been different with NGW and Meite in to start for Sarr/McIntyre and Joao/Carroll. Better team balance that way. And more pace at the back to cope with Pukki and their defence splitting passes.

Lumley - 7 couple of good saves, solid.
Hoilett - 7 crossing not quite on point, but felt he was often left reaching for the ball when sent away to cross.
McIntyre - 6 bit wobbly, one dreadful cross, very definitely not a WB.
Yiadom - 7 like the way he can push forward and switch to RB style play when needed
Holmes - 7 rode his luck being physical as usual, but lots of important challenges. Took a yellow for the team, probably ok on the pen shout.
Sarr - 6 some iffy moments. Not convinced by him at all.
Loum - 8 looks like we got the Dr Loum today rather than Mr.
Hendrick - 6 solid midfield display
Ince - 7 very strong first half but faded
Joao - 6 did his chasing first half, had a couple nearly monents, not really there. Doesn’t work with Carroll.
Carroll - 7 won things in the air, scored a pen. Normal Andy.

NGW - 7 won the pen, adds much more than Rahman or McIntyre in the final 3rd, which is the point of a wingback. Should be starting.
Meite - 6 usual stuff, hard running bulldozer with some occasional silky skill.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Dec 2022 01:12

Got back not long after midnight. Managed to bomb it back.

Good turnout from our fans. Must have been at least 700 there tonight as our end was pretty full. Not bad considering it's a 3 hour journey for most of us. Some chants were oxf*rd embarrassing from the kids at the back like 'how shit must you be it's only 1-0' :lol: Pauno isn't manager anymore and we're outside the playoffs on goal difference.

Onto the game itself:

João was atrocious and looks like he wants out. I hope he doesn't start again for a while.

Carroll MoM, held up the ball well and put some quality slotted balls through Norwich's defence. Well taken penalty too. Looks like he wants to stay, hopefully we can get him tied down until the summer and renegotiate then.

Holmes, Yiadom, McIntyre and NGW were terrific. Loum had some terrific moments and some howling mistakes. Hoilett and Ince had decent games.

I never felt that uncomfortable in the game that we'd lose that and even at 1-0 down I fancied us to get something. Norwich have some quality players but clearly lack something; maybe some confidence, spirit or balance I don't know. But I can see why they've lost quite a few home games. On another day we could have nicked a win ourselves.

Pleased with the result, Ince has really proven me wrong in many ways as manager. In terms of building a winning team, tactically he has made good subs in many games and he's managing the squad well. At the start of the season we looked poor but the signings have made us hard to beat.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 31 Dec 2022 01:16, edited 2 times in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Dec 2022 01:13

TMac hasn't got the pace to play wingback. Think NGW will start on Monday.
Yeah WBA are decent but we are looking like a solid team now. Reckon we can get a draw.
Worth remembering that after WBA we will have played two more away games than at home.

We are now play off contenders imo

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Dec 2022 01:16

Zip TMac hasn't got the pace to play wingback. Think NGW will start on Monday.
Yeah WBA are decent but we are looking like a solid team now. Reckon we can get a draw.
Worth remembering that after WBA we will have played two more away games than at home.

NGW has to start. Fcuk knows where we'll finish. Probably 20th.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Dec 2022 01:24

leon
Zip TMac hasn't got the pace to play wingback. Think NGW will start on Monday.

NGW has to start. Fcuk knows where we'll finish. Probably 20th.

Somewhere between that and 5th. I think we have a good chance of finishing top half with an outside chance of playoffs but think our away record needs to improve whilst maintaining our decent home record in order to do that.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 31 Dec 2022 01:31

Feel like the side is learning how to draw or even win games after going behind, we’d have crumbled each time a year ago.

Paul Ince probably won’t be the man to take us up a level, but give me a side that does the basics well more often than not over the absolute dross I’ve seen over the past few years.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Dec 2022 09:04

Royal_jimmy Got back not long after midnight. Managed to bomb it back.

Good turnout from our fans. Must have been at least 700 there tonight as our end was pretty full. Not bad considering it's a 3 hour journey for most of us. Some chants were oxf*rd embarrassing from the kids at the back like 'how shit must you be it's only 1-0' :lol: Pauno isn't manager anymore and we're outside the playoffs on goal difference.

Onto the game itself:

João was atrocious and looks like he wants out. I hope he doesn't start again for a while.

Carroll MoM, held up the ball well and put some quality slotted balls through Norwich's defence. Well taken penalty too. Looks like he wants to stay, hopefully we can get him tied down until the summer and renegotiate then.

Holmes, Yiadom, McIntyre and NGW were terrific. Loum had some terrific moments and some howling mistakes. Hoilett and Ince had decent games.

I never felt that uncomfortable in the game that we'd lose that and even at 1-0 down I fancied us to get something. Norwich have some quality players but clearly lack something; maybe some confidence, spirit or balance I don't know. But I can see why they've lost quite a few home games. On another day we could have nicked a win ourselves.

Pleased with the result, Ince has really proven me wrong in many ways as manager. In terms of building a winning team, tactically he has made good subs in many games and he's managing the squad well. At the start of the season we looked poor but the signings have made us hard to beat.

At last, have been saying this all season.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Dec 2022 09:06

YorkshireRoyal99 I think it does go to show how needed the break was for us so we could get bodies back fit again. Grinding out wins against Coventry and to an extent Swansea, but not particularly poor displays either, a weirdly decent performance against Birmingham but with 3 fatal errors which cost us and another more than solid performance tonight. Not expecting much at West Brom, but not sure it's much of a walkover victory as many might suspect.

We've hit a relatively good bit of form at the moment and took the game to Norwich tonight and, I agree, actually a bit disappointed we didn't come away with 3 points as you could argue we deserved it. Play like that at West Brom, no reason why we can't get a similar result.

What a stupid comment!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 Dec 2022 09:14

Lumley: 7: some good saves, particularly from the Sargent shot. Like the way he gives it the hoof when even slightly under pressure.

Yiadom: MOTM, 8.5. Great stuff.

Holmes: 8. Passing excellent, took one for the team when Pukki nearly had a run on goal. Touch and go whether he should have been sent off but this boy is improving every week.

Sarr: 6.5. One excellent tackle in the second half but should not have been beaten in the air for Norwich’s goal.

McIntyre: 6. Too slow to play wing back as it means we lose the overlap option on the left. Turned out to be a tactical masterstroke bringing NGW on for him. Wins a penalty a few mins later.

Hoilett: 6.5. Good in first half but tired and rightly hooked.

Loum: 6.5. Mixed bag. Some good stuff but gave the ball away several times.

Ince: 7. Quiet game by his standards but still looked good. We should have got him on the ball more.

Hendrick. 7. Did the ugly stuff well in most part.

Joao: 6. Off the pace. Doesn’t work with Carroll. Long or Meite would have been a better option to start. Ince lost patience with him eventually and hooked him for Meite.

Carroll: 8. Excellent. He seems to love it at Reading and becoming a crowd favourite. Relieved to see him taking the penalty instead of Yak.

Subs: NGW. Should be starting. Yaks. Should have started. Mbengue. Not enough time to judge.

PInce: made substitutions at exactly the right times and right players. 8.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 31 Dec 2022 10:05

Norfolk Royal Lumley: 7: some good saves, particularly from the Sargent shot. Like the way he gives it the hoof when even slightly under pressure.

Holmes: 8. Passing excellent, took one for the team when Pukki nearly had a run on goal. Touch and go whether he should have been sent off but this boy is improving every week.

Sarr: 6.5. One excellent tackle in the second half but should not have been beaten in the air for Norwich’s goal.

McIntyre: 6. Too slow to play wing back as it means we lose the overlap option on the left. Turned out to be a tactical masterstroke bringing NGW on for him. Wins a penalty a few mins later.

Ince: 7. Quiet game by his standards but still looked good. We should have got him on the ball more.

Joao: 6. Off the pace. Doesn’t work with Carroll. Long or Meite would have been a better option to start. Ince lost patience with him eventually and hooked him for Meite.

Carroll: 8. Excellent. He seems to love it at Reading and becoming a crowd favourite. Relieved to see him taking the penalty instead of Yak.

Subs: NGW. Should be starting. Yaks. Should have started. Mbengue. Not enough time to judge.

Can`t argue with any of that. Great effort by the team i thought. The SKY highlights don`t show the 1st minute foul on Hoilett. I thought it was in the area, do anyone else have a view ?
Loum`s 9th booking last night ??

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 31 Dec 2022 10:55

Royals and Racers Can`t argue with any of that. Great effort by the team i thought. The SKY highlights don`t show the 1st minute foul on Hoilett. I thought it was in the area, do anyone else have a view ?

Hoilett foul shown on Norwich's extended highlights

https://youtu.be/9ZIPnNoshgY

Foul looks to have continued into the area, not sure about initial contact

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 Dec 2022 11:08

morganb
Royals and Racers Can`t argue with any of that. Great effort by the team i thought. The SKY highlights don`t show the 1st minute foul on Hoilett. I thought it was in the area, do anyone else have a view ?

Just outside by looks of it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2022 11:12

Norfolk Royal
morganb

Prob was just outside and yellow card prob just about the right decision.

Carroll’s penalty was excellent. Makes it even stranger that Meite took tbe Swansea one

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 31 Dec 2022 11:16

Hound
Norfolk Royal
morganb

Prob was just outside and yellow card prob just about the right decision.

Carroll’s penalty was excellent. Makes it even stranger that Meite took tbe Swansea one

Probably some stupid football superstition that if you win the penalty you don`t take it !!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Dec 2022 13:29

Royals and Racers
Norfolk Royal Lumley: 7: some good saves, particularly from the Sargent shot. Like the way he gives it the hoof when even slightly under pressure.

Can`t argue with any of that. Great effort by the team i thought. The SKY highlights don`t show the 1st minute foul on Hoilett. I thought it was in the area, do anyone else have a view ?

The Royals TV replays showed the mark in the turf left by the defender's sliding foot and it didn't look as though it started until some way inside the area. It was very close but I reckon we might have got it with VAR. However, I'd rather miss out than have that game-spoiler.

At one stage during the game Ady Williams made a very valid point when he mentioned how the ref had made an immediate decision that was probably right and play had then been allowed to continue, whereas VAR would have had it paused for several minutes whilst they tried to make up their minds.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 Dec 2022 14:02

Royal_jimmy Got back not long after midnight. Managed to bomb it back.

Onto the game itself:

We sold out our allocation of 974 and Norwich were selling an extra 400 on the day, of which I saw quite a few Reading fans collecting so likely more than 1,000.