MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

138 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

by Royal Rother » 07 Jan 2023 17:02

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother About 15-20 years ago (whenever we were in the PL) I created a bit of an HNA storm when I started a thread entitled “I am bored of watching Leroy Lita” (when he was still a fans’ favourite) in which I predicted he would be the new Leon Knight and quickly drop down the leagues - all correct as it turned out.

I’ll say the same thing now about Lucas Joao.

(Lita (now 38yo) scored a 4 minute hat trick for Hednesford in October!)

It truly is insightful that a 29 year old who has often struggled with form at previous clubs and isn’t playing especially well right now may be on a downward trend.

You're so prophetic.

Yeah, sounds like you’re not disagreeing then, despite struggling ever to say a negative word about him.

Hmm, can’t be sure but I THINK I may have sussed him out just a LITTLE sooner than you.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2023 17:06

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother About 15-20 years ago (whenever we were in the PL) I created a bit of an HNA storm when I started a thread entitled “I am bored of watching Leroy Lita” (when he was still a fans’ favourite) in which I predicted he would be the new Leon Knight and quickly drop down the leagues - all correct as it turned out.

It truly is insightful that a 29 year old who has often struggled with form at previous clubs and isn’t playing especially well right now may be on a downward trend.

You're so prophetic.

Good result. Very glad to see good reports on Abrefa, think he's been under utilised. Glad we've finally won a cup game to give some more opportunities out to those on the fringes.

Can't say I've changed my mind on signing Bouzanis being completely pointless when we had quality young keepers in the wings.

I don't think RR will get too many bonus points with that Joao prediction. He is on the back run of his career. Still worth mentioning yet again that his goalscoring record for us at Champuonship level remains excellent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2023 17:07

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal

You're so prophetic.

Yeah, sounds like you’re not disagreeing then, despite struggling ever to say a negative word about him.

Hmm, can’t be sure but I THINK I may have sussed him out just a LITTLE sooner than you.

On the contrary. Just pointing out it's easy to predict a 29 year old's decline and crow about it later if it happens.

Joao is still a good player, who is currently struggling in a side that doesn’t provide for him. Your lazy descriptions of his laziness are just nonsense. Like most players in those circumstances at his age he could easily thrive at his next club, or fail.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2023 17:08

Zip
Snowflake Royal

You're so prophetic.

Good result. Very glad to see good reports on Abrefa, think he's been under utilised. Glad we've finally won a cup game to give some more opportunities out to those on the fringes.

Can't say I've changed my mind on signing Bouzanis being completely pointless when we had quality young keepers in the wings.

I don't think RR will get too many bonus points with that Joao prediction. He is on the back run of his career. Still worth mentioning yet again that his goalscoring record for us at Champuonship level remains excellent.

Exactly.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jan 2023 17:37

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal It truly is insightful that a 29 year old who has often struggled with form at previous clubs and isn’t playing especially well right now may be on a downward trend.

You're so prophetic.

On the contrary. Just pointing out it's easy to predict a 29 year old's decline and crow about it later if it happens.

Joao is still a good player, who is currently struggling in a side that doesn’t provide for him. Your lazy descriptions of his laziness are just nonsense. Like most players in those circumstances at his age he could easily thrive at his next club, or fail.

Not as if anyone else constantly slates a 29 year old at the club for no sensible reason :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2023 17:39

Joao wasn’t awful and long wasn’t particularly good other than the goal, which he did take well.

Definitely nice to see some options for changes in the first 11 though. Azeez looked bright and Dann was our best defender I thought

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 07 Jan 2023 17:46

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother

Not as if anyone else constantly slates a 29 year old at the club for no sensible reason :wink:

Not only slates but laughs when the player suffers an injury.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 07 Jan 2023 19:50

Snowflake Royal

You're so prophetic.

Been saying this all season, Ince prefers experience over youth and is happy to play experienced players out of their natural positions. The likes of Abreefa, NGW, CBC, Kelvin Ehib and Andreasson are the future of the club and should be getting more of a run in the team especially as we get closer to that magic number of survival.
Would much prefer CBC as a backup to Lumley than Bouzanis, and would be happy for Abreefa to start at RWB over Hoilett. Likewise with NGW and Babba, and even Kelvin Ehib in place of Joao who is so out of form and is looking more and more like he really doesn't want to be here.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Jan 2023 19:52

Sutekh Bizarr-nis really not helping things there.

Strange signing, at best he's league one level. We supposedly have good goalkeepers at U23 level and he is stopping their development, and I believe is on a long contract.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Jan 2023 20:24

Zip
Snowflake Royal

You're so prophetic.

The back run of his career? He’s 29 FFS, he really shouldn’t be on a decline yet.

One thing that can’t be said about him is that he’s got a lot of miles on the clock.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2023 20:45

Royal Rother
Zip
Snowflake Royal It truly is insightful that a 29 year old who has often struggled with form at previous clubs and isn’t playing especially well right now may be on a downward trend.

You're so prophetic.

The back run of his career? He’s 29 FFS, he really shouldn’t be on a decline yet.

One thing that can’t be said about him is that he’s got a lot of miles on the clock.

He will be a few weeks off 30 assuming he starts next season with a new club so yep his best days will very much be behind him as is the case with most players.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2023 20:55

‘Past it’ at 30

No hope for us

Harry Kane is 29 btw, only a couple of months separate them

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 07 Jan 2023 21:29

Zip
Royal Rother
Zip

He will be a few weeks off 30 assuming he starts next season with a new club so yep his best days will very much be behind him as is the case with most players.

Football has changed, players fitness is at another level than it was thirty years ago. Maybe once you hit 32/33 then you will slowly start that downward spiral as an athlete.
Look at Long and Carroll, 35 & 34 they're both still fit but on that slow decline, however, that's when the head takes over and compensates for the slow loss of pace.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 07 Jan 2023 21:45

Uke
Royal Rother
Hound Comfortable win against a very weak Watford side for whatever reason. Only one team in it for 70 mins then we did our usual of sit back and play too deep. Couple of dodgy keeper moments were the only scares

Azeez, Abrefa, Mbengue, Dann, Loum all good. Others all ok. Sarr couple of mistakes avain, Bouzanis looked dodgy at times. Joao and Long didn’t really do enough. But all pretty straightforward

I don’t think putting Long’s performance alongside Joao’s is reasonable.

This

Long put in a shift

Thought he’d broken his arm in the first half too

Yep and Joao put in FA even with an open goal!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2023 21:57

AthleticoSpizz ‘Past it’ at 30

No hope for us

Not past it, but a player's prime is firmly mid-late 20s, and he's at the end of that. Don't worry, you can still be a competent crotchety engineer in your 60s, we're not saying you're long past it because you're over 30.

The likes of Long and Carroll are the exception, not the rule. And both of them are only playing for us because they're well on the decline.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2023 22:03

Crowbar6753
Zip
Royal Rother

Football has changed, players fitness is at another level than it was thirty years ago. Maybe once you hit 32/33 then you will slowly start that downward spiral as an athlete.
Look at Long and Carroll, 35 & 34 they're both still fit but on that slow decline, however, that's when the head takes over and compensates for the slow loss of pace.

Yep and Long and Carroll's best days were in their 20's!!!!! Their careers have not gone upwards in their 30's. Not many players careers go in the assent in their 30's. The vast majority go on the other direction.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jan 2023 22:11

I wonder if this is the first time we've had the most possession in a match this season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2023 22:32

tidus_mi2 I wonder if this is the first time we've had the most possession in a match this season.

Nope we had 64% v Brum a few weeks ago.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2023 01:06

Zip
Crowbar6753
Zip

Yep and Long and Carroll's best days were in their 20's!!!!! Their careers have not gone upwards in their 30's. Not many players careers go in the assent in their 30's. The vast majority go on the other direction.

I'd argue Bouzanis is the only guy in our squad in his 30s whose career isn't on the downward trend. And he's a back up keeper, so not really comparable. You could possibly make a case for Hutch and Yiadom technically and maybe performance wise

Sarr, Moore and Rahman too.

You can absolutely play into your mid-30s and beyond, but you're only going in one direction from the prime of late 20s where you blend experience and energy.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Jan 2023 10:16

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz ‘Past it’ at 30

No hope for us

Not past it, but a player's prime is firmly mid-late 20s, and he's at the end of that. Don't worry, you can still be a competent crotchety engineer in your 60s, we're not saying you're long past it because you're over 30..
you don’t do tongue in cheek do you Ian?

138 posts