MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a)

136 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a)

by Millsy » 11 Feb 2023 23:05

Sorry guys completely missed the game.

Bftg or ratings and summary please someone?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Feb 2023 23:50

Millsy Sorry guys completely missed the game.

Ince set us out to time waste for a draw from minute 1. We mostly defended resolutely and had a few nearly chances from Sunderland errors but created nothing. Sunderland were bang average. The difference was Roberts always scores against us.

Lumley - 7 not tested many times, but pulled off one double / triple save - although if he'd pushed it safe rather than straight at a Sunderland player it wouldn’t have needed to be a double / triple.
Hoilett - 6 ok, but not as good as his last performance
Rahman - 3 can't cross for toffee, shouldn't be playing, or even at the club, cost us the game with a moment of sheer idiocy trying to stop dead and pirouette on his own 6 yard line rather than just bloody clear his lines
Yiadom - 7 good display
Sarr - 5 protected well by McIntyre whilst in the middle of the three but exposed once at left, just not very good.
Mbengue - 8 I was wrong, his pace is a real asset, he can pass and he's picked up positioning and anticipation really well
Hendrick - 5 vanished at HT, so much of the game passes him by sometimes.
McIntyre - 7 don't like him in midfield but first half he was excellent, second bypassed.
Ince - 6 didn’t really happen for him, shooting and crossing wasn't great
Long - 6 ran a lot, but our final touch/ pass was poor
Carroll - 6 won headers but they rarely find someone.

Dann - 5 his introduction was pointless and caused 3/4ers of the remaining defence to switch position to accommodate him. Mbengue would have covered Rahman where Sarr was beaten which led to Rahman's moment of idiocy.
Meite - 5 can't play striker effectively. Especially when we don’t try to create anything and have only 16 minutes to play.

Fornah and someone else I think... n/a. Damage already done by playing for a draw rather than trying to win, an unnecessary bad sub and a moment of sheer stupidity from Rahman.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 12 Feb 2023 02:26

Snowflake Royal

Ince set us out to time waste for a draw from minute 1. We mostly defended resolutely and had a few nearly chances from Sunderland errors but created nothing. Sunderland were bang average. The difference was Roberts always scores against us.

Lumley - 7 not tested many times, but pulled off one double / triple save - although if he'd pushed it safe rather than straight at a Sunderland player it wouldn’t have needed to be a double / triple.
Rahman - 3 can't cross for toffee, shouldn't be playing, or even at the club, cost us the game with a moment of sheer idiocy trying to stop dead and pirouette on his own 6 yard line rather than just bloody clear his lines
Yiadom - 7 good display
Sarr - 5 protected well by McIntyre whilst in the middle of the three but exposed once at left, just not very good.
Mbengue - 8 I was wrong, his pace is a real asset, he can pass and he's picked up positioning and anticipation really well
McIntyre - 7 don't like him in midfield but first half he was excellent, second bypassed.

Dann - 5 his introduction was pointless and caused 3/4ers of the remaining defence to switch position to accommodate him. Mbengue would have covered Rahman where Sarr was beaten which led to Rahman's moment of idiocy.
Meite - 5 can't play striker effectively. Especially when we don’t try to create anything and have only 16 minutes to play.

Fornah and someone else I think... n/a. Damage already done by playing for a draw rather than trying to win, an unnecessary bad sub and a moment of sheer stupidity from Rahman.

This +1 We had been defending well for most of the game!! So why change it with 7 minutes left.....this totally lost us the game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Feb 2023 07:41

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal

Yiadom - 7 good display

This +1 We had been defending well for most of the game!! So why change it with 7 minutes left.....this totally lost us the game.

Unless you can say Rahman doesn't have his braindead moment with Dann still on the bench then it really didn't. Not a change that I think was needed mind.

Delboy

by Delboy » 12 Feb 2023 07:46

When will Ince learn hoof ball to Carroll does not work , he wins a majority of head reds but they go no where , we looked like a team of oldies in the second half not sure of average age . Got to give Azeeh a chance

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Feb 2023 09:36

Great to see Baba getting slated, when he had a decent game until the mistake. Also good to see we are back to Ince OUT! again. We were 7 mins away from a very well earnt point. Too many people are reacting to our overall performances away fron home than what actually happened yesterday. Still, I’m sure if we win a few of the next 4, we’ll suddenly be nailed on for the play-offs again. Ince probably isn’t the long term option to take us forward…but he is currently doing exactly what is expected of him. That is all we need right now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2023 10:17

Stranded
Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal Ince set us out to time waste for a draw from minute 1. We mostly defended resolutely and had a few nearly chances from Sunderland errors but created nothing. Sunderland were bang average. The difference was Roberts always scores against us.

Yiadom - 7 good display

Unless you can say Rahman doesn't have his braindead moment with Dann still on the bench then it really didn't. Not a change that I think was needed mind.

I can. Because Mbengue covered him all game and that came about because Sarr got done like the slow awkward giant he is trying to cover him. With Mbengue there the ball never finds its way back to Rahman for him to oxf*rd it up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2023 10:20

Kitsondinho Great to see Baba getting slated, when he had a decent game until the mistake. Also good to see we are back to Ince OUT! again. We were 7 mins away from a very well earnt point. Too many people are reacting to our overall performances away fron home than what actually happened yesterday. Still, I’m sure if we win a few of the next 4, we’ll suddenly be nailed on for the play-offs again. Ince probably isn’t the long term option to take us forward…but he is currently doing exactly what is expected of him. That is all we need right now.

He did not have a good game. Mbengue bailed him out several times when beaten and his crossing was once again dreadful.

And even if he did, when you gift the oppositio a stupid goal from a completely braindead error to lose the game, you deserve to get pilloried. Mick was right, no experienced professional footballer should make that mistake.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Feb 2023 10:40

From what I remember the ball somehow ended up on Rahman's right foot and he being one of many players who are only one-footed just couldn't clear the ball with his right.
A dreadful game to watch but I am with Kitsondinho in believing that generally Rahman was no worse than he normally is and we really are not that good at the back to play for 0-0s (joint 2nd worst defensive record in the division).

I disagree with the earlier poster who said that we have a good set of players-we have Tom Ince and............................................
There is no Olise, nor Swift nor the year younger Joao and it is a lower Championship squad..

Everything is about survival and fair judgement can only be made next season when Ince hopefully has the funds to build a team-at the moment IMHO he may not be doing brilliantly but he is likely to do what was asked of him, for us to stay up.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 12 Feb 2023 10:45

Snowflake Royal
Kitsondinho Great to see Baba getting slated, when he had a decent game until the mistake. Also good to see we are back to Ince OUT! again. We were 7 mins away from a very well earnt point. Too many people are reacting to our overall performances away fron home than what actually happened yesterday. Still, I’m sure if we win a few of the next 4, we’ll suddenly be nailed on for the play-offs again. Ince probably isn’t the long term option to take us forward…but he is currently doing exactly what is expected of him. That is all we need right now.

He did not have a good game. Mbengue bailed him out several times when beaten and his crossing was once again dreadful.

And even if he did, when you gift the oppositio a stupid goal from a completely braindead error to lose the game, you deserve to get pilloried. Mick was right, no experienced professional footballer should make that mistake.

He was perfectly decent until that point from my viewpoint in the SoL North Stand. Yes, he should be called out for the mistake…but too much of it has been ‘he was awful all game’, which he wasn’t. Same with Scott Dann getting stick for being on the pitch when they scored. The goal was nothing to do with him.

Mbengue was our best player yesterday and worked really well as part of a back 3. It was very noticeable how exposed Sarr was when Mbengue pushed on and Sunderland hit us on the break. Sarr won lots of headers, made great tackles…but was beaten twice on the break in the 2nd half when Mbengue went forward.

Just bored of the ridiculous overreaction to a narrow defeat. Sunderland didn’t play us off the park. We weren’t outclassed and nearly nicked a point. What did everyone expect us to do…throw men forward as we did at home and get beaten easily? Ince’s tactics worked very well for 83 mins. One stupid mistake doesn’t mean we were awful. If we’d seen out the 0-0, we’d have been more than satisfied. It was hardly like the capitulations at Sheff U, Rotherham or Stoke.
Last edited by Kitsondinho on 12 Feb 2023 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 12 Feb 2023 10:49

South Coast Royal From what I remember the ball somehow ended up on Rahman's right foot and he being one of many players who are only one-footed just couldn't clear the ball with his right.
A dreadful game to watch but I am with Kitsondinho in believing that generally Rahman was no worse than he normally is and we really are not that good at the back to play for 0-0s (joint 2nd worst defensive record in the division).

I disagree with the earlier poster who said that we have a good set of players-we have Tom Ince and............................................
There is no Olise, nor Swift nor the year younger Joao and it is a lower Championship squad..

Everything is about survival and fair judgement can only be made next season when Ince hopefully has the funds to build a team-at the moment IMHO he may not be doing brilliantly but he is likely to do what was asked of him, for us to stay up.

Exactly this! A couple of wins in the next 3 and we are all but safe. This season is about getting to May still in the Championship. I’m confident that will happen. Where we go from there is the big question. I like P Ince, he has done the required job…but I do doubt if he is going to take us beyond staying in the division each year. I would like him to stay on working with Bowen though, as they seem to have really begun to sort the behind the scenes mess…just not sure I want him in the dugout beyond 2023.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Feb 2023 11:03

Kitsondinho
South Coast Royal From what I remember the ball somehow ended up on Rahman's right foot and he being one of many players who are only one-footed just couldn't clear the ball with his right.

Exactly this! A couple of wins in the next 3 and we are all but safe. This season is about getting to May still in the Championship. I’m confident that will happen. Where we go from there is the big question. I like P Ince, he has done the required job…but I do doubt if he is going to take us beyond staying in the division each year. I would like him to stay on working with Bowen though, as they seem to have really begun to sort the behind the scenes mess…just not sure I want him in the dugout beyond 2023.

I would like to think that Ince and Rae both having been all-rounder midfield players (in days when midfielders did the lot and not defined as attacking, holding, defensive, creative, playmaker etc) they would , funds permitting, be looking to bring in those types to the engine room.
Then we wouldn't be knocking hopeful balls up to a striker with nobody in support and may have a style of play, something that we don't really have with this mish-mash collection of players.

Keep us up and he surely deserves a chance-I would hate to have had to manage this lot, a mixture of crocks, has-beens and inexperienced thrown together to fill gaps rather than to create a team.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 12 Feb 2023 11:08

South Coast Royal
Kitsondinho

I would like to think that Ince and Rae both having been all-rounder midfield players (in days when midfielders did the lot and not defined as attacking, holding, defensive, creative, playmaker etc) they would , funds permitting, be looking to bring in those types to the engine room.
Then we wouldn't be knocking hopeful balls up to a striker with nobody in support and may have a style of play, something that we don't really have with this mish-mash collection of players.

Keep us up and he surely deserves a chance-I would hate to have had to manage this lot, a mixture of crocks, has-beens and inexperienced thrown together to fill gaps rather than to create a team.

I’m not against giving him a chance, as you say, he has earned it. However, if it doesn’t start well, then we are back to square one again. I suppose I just want to break the 18 month hero, average, getting worried, gotta go, sacked cycle we have with managers these days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2023 11:11

Ince has had a poor reaction to the questions of BBC North East journo at the game. Its a pretty embarrassing transcript.

The reporter's got a Mackem chip on his shoulder the size of a mountain, but you dont get pissy. And trying to pretend we weren't negative and timewasting from the very start when it was so obvious is just a bit tragic. Own it.

Think the pressure is getting to him.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Feb 2023 11:26

I wouldn't trust Paul Ince with a penny in the summer. He's shown to be a limited tactician so far. A strong end to the season and I may rethink this. But I don't see him making us a top half team or one that challenges for the playoffs. More likely we'll spend money and be down the bottom of the league again.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Feb 2023 11:57

Snowflake Royal Ince has had a poor reaction to the questions of BBC North East journo at the game. Its a pretty embarrassing transcript.

The reporter's got a Mackem chip on his shoulder the size of a mountain, but you dont get pissy. And trying to pretend we weren't negative and timewasting from the very start when it was so obvious is just a bit tragic. Own it.

But aren't all managers ludicrously defensive and protective when it comes to their teams?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2023 12:06

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal Ince has had a poor reaction to the questions of BBC North East journo at the game. Its a pretty embarrassing transcript.

But aren't all managers ludicrously defensive and protective when it comes to their teams?

You don’t need to get pissy to do it, you can stay professional and answer the questions. You're representing the club to the media and public.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 12 Feb 2023 12:08

South Coast Royal

I don’t think either did anything wrong. Journo’s question was fair and Ince’s reaction was fine to me. What did they expect him to say, sorry we didn’t play 0-6-4 and lose 8-0…?!?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Feb 2023 12:27

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal

Yiadom - 7 good display

Also, although Rahman committed the main error, Dann was also partly at fault. Firstly, he stopped dead as the move developed and was then caught on his heels. Secondly, he then dived in with an attempted challenge rather than staying on his feet. This enabled Roberts to skip past his now prone body and shoot.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 12 Feb 2023 13:19

Our tactics on the day were quite transparent, frustrate, slow the pace of the game down etc. We were doing it quite effectively until the 84th minute. This is a rag bag team at the moment due to the restrictions on us and we have to get through this season and hopefully start to rebuild a more expansive side again.

In the meantime, the players on the pitch rolled their sleeves up yesterday and looked committed to the cause. The ref (blind as a) Coote, a homer extraordinaire, although my first reaction late on was Meite was going to get sent off and he was lucky because I thought nothing would’ve given this ref more pleasure than to use his red card yesterday.

A couple of times in the first half Shane was played in nicely and as my son said to me, Shane of five years ago would’ve taken one of those chances with an extra yard of pace.

Sunderland were not good first half, they seemed to pass the ball out of play a lot, their keeper’s kicking is not good, and we defended the threat from their wings, Clarke in particular, really well. They played better second half and ultimately they got the three points their second half performance deserved, but we came close to spoiling the party and picking up what would a be a useful point on the road, but two massive games coming up that we need to make sure we win one and draw one of.

Until they score I’ve never heard such a quiet 38,000 crowd. It is as if they thought we would roll over and have our tummies tickled and they’d win comfortably 4 or 5 nil. They got their 3 points ultimately but I’d bet there were quite a few ripped up exact score coupons in the home end when the turkey shoot never happened!

I love going to the North East to watch games, really passionate and loyal fans, they really do eat, sleep and breathe football up there. Good fans and wish them well, nice stop to the Vaux taproom too before the game!

At least there is still a 9 point gap to the relegation places, but we need to get results in the next two games or Ince may then feel some heat.

136 posts