(Bad) memories of that game in 1995

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

(Bad) memories of that game in 1995

by ayjaydee » 22 Feb 2023 10:52

Whilst out and about yesterday I caught a bit of the Adrian Chiles radio show on 5 Live. He was doing a piece on games you have never watched again and there was a call from a Reading fan (maybe a ‘nobber?) regarding the 95 PO final immediately followed by a Bolton fan.
If you can bear to dredge up the memories, worth a listen on catch up.

Incidentally, I did similar to said Reading fan and recorded over my VHS and have never seen it since.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: (Bad) memories of that game in 1995

by NathStPaul » 22 Feb 2023 10:54

Think the lowest I have felt in person was the Huddersfield play off final. Not so much that we lost but the nature of how we approached it, it was so so poor. 100% convinced we'd have beaten that Huddersfield team in normal time had we had any intention of playing football that day.

As for league games I would say either the Burton game at home or the Ipswich 0-4 under Clement.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 Feb 2023 10:55

at least that was a glorious failure, ajd.

Walsall, Swansea (3-0 down after 20 minutes) and Huddersfield (no(?) shots on target over 120 minutes) were more painful.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2023 10:56

ayjaydee Whilst out and about yesterday I caught a bit of the Adrian Chiles radio show on 5 Live. He was doing a piece on games you have never watched again and there was a call from a Reading fan (maybe a ‘nobber?) regarding the 95 PO final immediately followed by a Bolton fan.
If you can bear to dredge up the memories, worth a listen on catch up.

Incidentally, I did similar to said Reading fan and recorded over my VHS and have never seen it since.

My first Reading game was 0-0 vs Brighton in 2002 so missed play-off heartbreak, well, until the following season when we lost in the semi-finals to Wolves.

I absolutely refuse to watch the 7-5 against Arsenal and hate whenever it is brought up, and Arsenal fans bring it up more than I thought they ever would.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 Feb 2023 10:57

too many to mention in the League. Last season: Undeservedly 2 up at home to Blackpool, deservedly lost 3-2.

but all the bad times make the good times even better.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 22 Feb 2023 12:20

LUX but all the bad times make the good times even better.

Some of our younger fan base may need to keep this in mind.

I'm too young to really remember '95 but 2001 in Cardiff was so painful. It was my first experience of a big defeat and I just remember looking over at the tiny amount of Walsall fans and feeling crushed.

Fast forward about a year, and I'm on the terrace at Griffin Park going absolutely bananas. I was so lucky that my formative years were when I was fortunate enough to go to most games with my dad and we were really good, culminating in those glorious years between 2005 and 07. If we're never really very good again I'll feel blessed to have been there for that.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2023 12:28

You know it was funny looking at the match programme before the 0-0 with Brighton, we were top, 5pts clear of Brighton but they had a game in hand, forgot how many we were clear of 3rd, but we still almost ballsed it up despite the fairly strong position.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2023 12:41

Watched the first half quite a lot back in the day.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Feb 2023 12:49

Have never watched the Bolton game back, but then have never watched the Simod final back either (seen the goals again though).
At the time I thought we’d blown our only chance to make it to the big league, although even then we all knew it woukd probably have killed the club.
There is no negativity really about the Bolton game, we went on to bigger and better things and we’ve probably done better having lost it than had we won. The circumstances were galling at the time, but hey ho.
Walsall was much more disappointing, just a horrible experience all round.
Swansea we came away with a fair amount of pride restored given how we reacted to the start.
Huddersfield is just irrelevant, it was a bit of a non event, never expected to get promoted, didn’t care that we didn’t. We’ve been in the Prem, another visit is of no great consequence.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2023 12:52

Nameless Have never watched the Bolton game back, but then have never watched the Simod final back either (seen the goals again though).
At the time I thought we’d blown our only chance to make it to the big league, although even then we all knew it woukd probably have killed the club.
There is no negativity really about the Bolton game, we went on to bigger and better things and we’ve probably done better having lost it than had we won. The circumstances were galling at the time, but hey ho.
Swansea we came away with a fair amount of pride restored given how we reacted to the start.
Huddersfield is just irrelevant, it was a bit of a non event, never expected to get promoted, didn’t care that we didn’t. We’ve been in the Prem, another visit is of no great consequence.

Anyone else thinking there's something wrong with the game when fans feel like that?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 Feb 2023 12:55

well, (slightly related) I'd far rather go up by winning at Wembley than finishing top. I've been traumatised by the finals (and the Arsenal FA Cup semi).

(I was also at the old Wembley for the Simod cup final, mind)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2023 12:56

Sutekh
Nameless Have never watched the Bolton game back, but then have never watched the Simod final back either (seen the goals again though).

Anyone else thinking there's something wrong with the game when fans feel like that?

It's a bit weird, because in hindsight, it would have immediately eliminated all of the financial nonsense we've gone through in recent seasons for a bit longer.

Who knows, maybe another season of lavish Premier League spending might have just exacerbated the situation we found ourselves in but it would have been a short term fix for sure.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Feb 2023 12:59

Sutekh

There is plenty wrong with the game !
But I suspect most fans feel the same. You dream of playing in the PL, eventually you get there and it’s a huge deal.
it’s never the same after that. It can’t be. If we get promoted again I won’t be as excited as I was at Leicester.
And I really doubt Burnley , Norwich, Watford, Bmouth, Baggies fans get ‘excited’ about promotion. It will be more a case of being desperate not to fail !

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Feb 2023 13:00

tidus_mi2
Sutekh

It's a bit weird, because in hindsight, it would have immediately eliminated all of the financial nonsense we've gone through in recent seasons for a bit longer.

Who knows, maybe another season of lavish Premier League spending might have just exacerbated the situation we found ourselves in but it would have been a short term fix for sure.

It’s surely just sad that for you Hudds was a purely financial thing !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2023 13:09

Sutekh

There's lots wrong with the game.

Felt similarly about Swansea, although without the getting back up isn’t that interesting bit at that point. But that was a cracking game of football unlike the Hudders snorefest.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Feb 2023 13:33

Nameless
Sutekh

But I suspect most fans feel the same. You dream of playing in the PL, eventually you get there and it’s a huge deal.
it’s never the same after that. It can’t be. If we get promoted again I won’t be as excited as I was at Leicester.
And I really doubt Burnley , Norwich, Watford, Bmouth, Baggies fans get ‘excited’ about promotion. It will be more a case of being desperate not to fail !

My mate is a Burnley fan who is, I quote, "excited about going back to the Premier League by winning the title", it might be because it's been there first trophy success for a while. I don't really know many fans who don't get excited about winning a trophy or winning promotion, although (depending how successful you are) some will live longer in the memory of others.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Feb 2023 13:34

I've never watched the Bolton game since the day, and don't think I will.

Much like Crisp getting beaten by Red Rum in the 1974 Grand National (after the greatest performance ever seen in the race) it still hurts. I can park that hurt but have no desire to make it fresher than it already is.

Daft really, I know.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2023 13:57

Nameless
tidus_mi2
Sutekh

What kind of comment is that?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Feb 2023 14:25

tidus_mi2
Nameless
tidus_mi2 It's a bit weird, because in hindsight, it would have immediately eliminated all of the financial nonsense we've gone through in recent seasons for a bit longer.

What kind of comment is that?

Fairly straightforward one ?
Which bit is tricky ?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Feb 2023 14:27

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Sutekh

My mate is a Burnley fan who is, I quote, "excited about going back to the Premier League by winning the title", it might be because it's been there first trophy success for a while. I don't really know many fans who don't get excited about winning a trophy or winning promotion, although (depending how successful you are) some will live longer in the memory of others.

Nothing wrong with winning trophies !
That’s totally different to ‘getting back into the PL’.