Do you want Ince as our manager next season.

165 posts

Do you want ince to continue as manager next season?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 93
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Do you want Ince as our manager next season.

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Mar 2023 15:06

I voted no but if his remit was to keep us in the division this season and if he does that with a points deduction, he probably has earned enough credit to stay on next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2023 15:27

NewCorkSeth
Hound
NewCorkSeth No? Why on earth would I? I still don't know what type of side we're supposed to be under him? We're not hard to beat, we're not good at attacking, we're not a side that grinds and grifts. We have no ethos.

Tbf it’s harsh to say we don’t grind. Work hard is one thing we do very well

It’s just a basic lack of quality, ambition and subtlety really.

We work hard maybe but not in a way that achieves results. There are managers put there who come in to this side and force the most dogshit grindy football out of this team and that's an ethos. Working hard at nothing isn't an ethos.

We have got results this season almost solely as a result of stubbornness and hard work. We’re low mid table not bottom 3

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Mar 2023 15:28

It’s a yes from me. I wonder if we’d won 1-0 yesterday if there would have been so many no’s.

PInce has had his hands tied with the players he’s been allowed to bring in. Whatever league we’re in next season he deserves to be given a chance. I completely get his style of play is negative and tactically he’s not the best but the players all seem to respect him and want to play for him.

This season was always going to be a struggle and we were relegation favourites before a ball was even kicked. The fact that until now we have been mainly mid table is testament to PInce and the players.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Mar 2023 15:42

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Hound
Tbf it’s harsh to say we don’t grind. Work hard is one thing we do very well

It’s just a basic lack of quality, ambition and subtlety really.

We work hard maybe but not in a way that achieves results. There are managers put there who come in to this side and force the most dogshit grindy football out of this team and that's an ethos. Working hard at nothing isn't an ethos.

We have got results this season almost solely as a result of stubbornness and hard work. We’re low mid table not bottom 3

We have also turned results from wins or draws into defeats? What progress have we made on the pitch? Very few of our results have come because of managerial decisions beyond starting Tom Ince. There are just no signs that we are operating on the pitch with any vision for the future.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Mar 2023 15:56

No.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Mar 2023 16:27

Brogue
Sutekh Could the results of this poll be made binding on the club?

Depends really. How does hob nob represent Reading fans opinions as a whole? Is hob nob a more reasoned demographic or is it over reactionary? Does the small sample of fans on hob nob represent the feeling of all fans ?

Compared to the #readingfc on Twitter it’s night and day - far more reasoned. But then again Twitter is full of fcuking idiots so comparing the two seems daft.

Its def more reasoned than Twitter, I don't look at it now after a game.

TTE has gone downhill too, used to be very reasoned and a good read, now they put up Ince out polls after most defeats

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Mar 2023 17:15

blythspartan It’s a yes from me. I wonder if we’d won 1-0 yesterday if there would have been so many no’s.

PInce has had his hands tied with the players he’s been allowed to bring in. Whatever league we’re in next season he deserves to be given a chance. I completely get his style of play is negative and tactically he’s not the best but the players all seem to respect him and want to play for him.

This season was always going to be a struggle and we were relegation favourites before a ball was even kicked. The fact that until now we have been mainly mid table is testament to PInce and the players.
this…some here need a reality-check.
Picking holes whilst we’re on the brink of survival is sooooo Watford/Chelsea/Man U etc etc

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2023 17:15

NewCorkSeth
Hound
NewCorkSeth We work hard maybe but not in a way that achieves results. There are managers put there who come in to this side and force the most dogshit grindy football out of this team and that's an ethos. Working hard at nothing isn't an ethos.

We have also turned results from wins or draws into defeats? What progress have we made on the pitch? Very few of our results have come because of managerial decisions beyond starting Tom Ince. There are just no signs that we are operating on the pitch with any vision for the future.

Not sure we could very progress a lot on the pitch this year. Holmes, McIntyre, Azeez another years experience in them, Abrefa, Abbey, CBC a bit closer to the first team and the u21s looking in half decent shape is encouraging but agree the main spine of the first team will just disappear again in the summer

On paper he has done pretty well but fully agree actually watching us is a real chore atm and we’re not a good side

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Mar 2023 17:21

…..a ‘borrowed side’

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Mar 2023 17:33

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Hound

Not sure we could very progress a lot on the pitch this year. Holmes, McIntyre, Azeez another years experience in them, Abrefa, Abbey, CBC a bit closer to the first team and the u21s looking in half decent shape is encouraging but agree the main spine of the first team will just disappear again in the summer

On paper he has done pretty well but fully agree actually watching us is a real chore atm and we’re not a good side

My opinion is that a competent manager would have gotten us to 15 wins already and that if we were a side defined by our hard work and graft we would have drawn more than 5 games this season.

I think the progress on the pitch for me would be to see some sort of plan for next year, players we will actually have being given more minutes, a formation that we would see as our starting tactic going forward. It just seems to me that were watching a manager who doesnt know what he wants to do with this team. He doesnt know Meite is strong on the right hand side? We cant play football because the players are too shit? We brought in Casadei but the manager doesnt want to play him because hes not got any experience outside of under21s football? Was it a Bowen signing then? does the manager have no say in signings? its all a mystery to the fans and, given his interveiws, its a mystery to Ince too. He comes across so confidently clueless.

I dont expect us to be top or even mid table, but I expect to see some sort of semblance of a plan. Watching Boro I sat there thinking this is Ince playing a back 4 against one of the in form attacking teams to spite the fans. "I told you it wouldnt work". Saw a joke that Ince has been told hes not getting a contract for next season and has downed tools and sometimes i cant help but believe it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Mar 2023 17:36

I've said yes. If we were to go down, then the board would have a decision to make, but if we stay up, that's his remit and he then deserves a summer/season to try and move us forward.

He's had his hands tied this season really, but you can see what sort of side he wants, a battling side with a backbone which we've missed for a number of years. We just lack quality which I think he deserves the opportunity to try and bring that quality in.

I've said it before as well, I think he's the best person for the job at the moment. He's not the best manager out there, but he knows the situation and the players seems to buy-in to the ethos as well even during hard times, but it was always going to be a tough season anyway.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Mar 2023 18:01

Cannot argue with any of that, but many here will

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Mar 2023 18:06

To be honest, the biggest problem for me is that I don't trust the owners, so I don't know how much progress we will actually make with the Dai's, although I hope I'm proved wrong.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Mar 2023 18:08

AthleticoSpizz Cannot argue with any of that, but many here will

Right on queue I arrive. No but seriously. Will we be able to bring in players of quality regardless of who the gaffer is next season? I presumed we would be relying on coaching the best we can out of players we can afford/players big teams need to shift out on loan.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2023 18:52

blythspartan It’s a yes from me. I wonder if we’d won 1-0 yesterday if there would have been so many no’s.

You would have expected us to start badly and it take time for him to coach the players into what he wanted, familiarity with each other and us to gradually improve though.

We've done the reverse. We started well and lots of players have just got worse as the season goes on.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 05 Mar 2023 18:53

NewCorkSeth
Hound
NewCorkSeth We have also turned results from wins or draws into defeats? What progress have we made on the pitch? Very few of our results have come because of managerial decisions beyond starting Tom Ince. There are just no signs that we are operating on the pitch with any vision for the future.

My opinion is that a competent manager would have gotten us to 15 wins already

No side below 7th has reached 15 wins yet.

Suggesting not doing so is a sign of incompetence, is a bit of a stretch, especially considering our patched up squad of free transfers and loans.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 05 Mar 2023 19:05

tmesis
NewCorkSeth
Hound

My opinion is that a competent manager would have gotten us to 15 wins already

No side below 7th has reached 15 wins yet.

Suggesting not doing so is a sign of incompetence, is a bit of a stretch, especially considering our patched up squad of free transfers and loans.

Especially as in the same breath he says he doesn’t expect us to be top or mid table.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 05 Mar 2023 19:22

We are safe he has done his job, thank you but now we need to move on. Phil Parkinson has to be approached we desperately need a figurehead legend to install some passion, belief, and identity back into the club. It would be great if Mad Dog could join him as the no2 he would surely stand no sh£t from the useless foreign mercenaries, and if Parky could bring Mullins and co on board, wow the sparks would fly, and the gates would soon top + 20,000.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Mar 2023 19:42

karbota We are safe he has done his job
let’s just leave it there shall we?

Well done Paul and son…one of our (under the cosh) best appointments in the past thirty years….enjoy this moment ‘xperts’ :roll:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Mar 2023 19:43

Snowflake Royal

You would have expected us to start badly and it take time for him to coach the players into what he wanted, familiarity with each other and us to gradually improve though.

We've done the reverse. We started well and lots of players have just got worse as the season goes on.

I actually think some of this comes down to us being completely written off at the start of the season. It was us, Rotherham and Birmingham that were the favourites to go down by most really, it's no coincidence we all had strong starts and then fell away (obviously ours and to an extent Brum's lasted longer than Rotherham's).

I think we've just reverted back to type and where we "should" be. Again, no coincidence are now all towards the bottom of the table (once we do get 6 points off).

Players do tend to drop off when they get older as well and we've got a few of those in our team as well so I can't say it's much of a surprise in some circumstances. The likes of Lumley and Mbengue have improved as the season has gone on though I think.

165 posts