Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Mark Bowen

by paultheroyal » 04 Apr 2023 19:51

Great letter from Bowen.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Apr 2023 20:22

Yeah that letter makes up for everything.

I'll be smiling ear to ear when Fleetwood Town visit us next season in front of 5000 people on a a Tuesday night. All I'll be thinking about is how great that letter was.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Apr 2023 20:41

Should that day come to pass, Would be more looking forward to the away trip at Highbury.

Trams, proper fish and chips and a night out in Blackpool just down that tramline 8)

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 Apr 2023 22:29

AthleticoSpizz Should that day come to pass, Would be more looking forward to the away trip at Highbury.

Trams, proper fish and chips and a night out in Blackpool just down that tramline 8)

Yeah, and 800 away fans looking like a half decent turnout in a relatively small terraced away end!! what's :D :D :D not to like....plus great away trips @ Wycombe, Portsmouth, Shrewsbury (New Stadium), Brizzle Rovers, Fake Dons and Poxford Utd :D :D :D :D plus Leyton Orient, Northampton and maybe Stevenage coming up....just gets better :D :D :D :D

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 04 Apr 2023 22:49

oxf*rd off bowen you fraud!!!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 04 Apr 2023 23:08

I wonder if had Bowen been here when the business plan was being drawn up if it would have been worded differently?

I assume Pang would have had most say in agreeing the plan - if it was effectively unachievable then will he face the wrath of Dai?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 04 Apr 2023 23:19

Pretty sure I have this right when I say it’s only the third on the record interview we’ve had from Bowen since his reappointment having spoke with the local media last summer before appearing on the Elm Park Royals podcast later that year. It’s hardly a glowing remit for someone who was suppose to bring better communications to the fanbase.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Apr 2023 23:44

morganb I wonder if had Bowen been here when the business plan was being drawn up if it would have been worded differently?

I assume Pang would have had most say in agreeing the plan - if it was effectively unachievable then will he face the wrath of Dai?

Pang would have had all the say. It might have been achievable on the premise of selling a player or players but if the subsequent DOF and Manager both took the view that it wasn't worth selling players because we couldn't reinvest it directly in replacements then that is on the latter.

FWIW they may have taken the view that someone like Joao or Meite would be more of a point differential on the field than the 6 point penalty off of it. If either scores a winner or two in the next few games , who's to say they weren't correct.

JR

by JR » 05 Apr 2023 01:56

Excellent open and transparent letter. Full credit to Bowen.

I think the deduction finally landing is helpful - galvanises the players and makes 3 points on Friday nailed on.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Apr 2023 08:51

Bowen has had a hell of a job coming back sorting out the mess that Dai and Gourlay created. He deserves praise for building us a competitive squad. I don't think many if anyone could do a better job in the circumstances

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Apr 2023 08:56

AthleticoSpizz Should that day come to pass, Would be more looking forward to the away trip at Highbury.

I've been to Fleetwood and it's ground. It really is not great. I'd rather go to Bristol City or West Brom

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Apr 2023 08:57

Crowbar6753

Yeah, and 800 away fans looking like a half decent turnout in a relatively small terraced away end!! what's :D :D :D not to like....plus great away trips @ Wycombe, Portsmouth, Shrewsbury (New Stadium), Brizzle Rovers, Fake Dons and Poxford Utd :D :D :D :D plus Leyton Orient, Northampton and maybe Stevenage coming up....just gets better :D :D :D :D

MK Dons is not a good away day. We found out in 2016

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Apr 2023 08:58

Royal_jimmy

I've been to Fleetwood and it's ground. It really is not great. I'd rather go to Bristol City or West Brom
you should’ve seen it in their NW Counties days :)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Apr 2023 09:02

Royal_jimmy
Crowbar6753

Goodness, yeah that was a proper grim away day. Freezing cold and we were terrible.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 Apr 2023 09:06

Hendo
Royal_jimmy
Crowbar6753

Goodness, yeah that was a proper grim away day. Freezing cold and we were terrible.

It was hard to believe a ground could be located in a more soulless area than the SCL but the MK ground is truly abysmal both in and around the stadium.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 05 Apr 2023 10:04

Having now read the letter, I thought that Bowen and the Club has clearly been under constraint as to what they can - and can't - say in the public domain; his irritation at the leaking of information from the EFL about the deduction is palpable.

The letter was as detailed an insight into the affairs of the Club and what restrictions they have been working under as I have ever seen in over 50 Years of supporting the Team; I hope people give them credit for that honesty and transparency rather than immediately think there is a deep conspiracy still to be unearthed.

As long as we can survive in this Division, we can start to rebuild - appropriately and with discretion rather than chucking tons of cash in an unsustainable manner - and that means that, hopefully, the future for the Club will be secure. If it means that we can be more competitive and at some point be able to look up the table rather than constanly looking down, that would be an added bonus.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 05 Apr 2023 11:05

NathStPaul Yeah that letter makes up for everything.

I'll be smiling ear to ear when Fleetwood Town visit us next season in front of 5000 people on a a Tuesday night. All I'll be thinking about is how great that letter was.

:D

It was a decent letter in all fairness. I guess if i was being critical, i'd maybe like a _bit_ more info on the reasons behind we couldn't shift any players, and without naming them, why one of those players was Liam Moore.

But, obviously talking about their contracts, reluctance to move etc - weakens the clubs hand in future negotiations with clubs - so its understandable that there was a lack of detail in this aspect.

Otherwise - good letter - and i'd feel comfortable allowing Mark Bowen to contribute to any personal formal correspondence needs - e.g a eulogy for the death of a second cousin.

4 stars.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 05 Apr 2023 11:17

There's a lot of verbage, but at least it's from a position of authority - i.e. within his remit, unlike the manager who appears to talk vacuously without specifying whether he has actual knowledge or not.

However, he is still responsible for hiring a manager who appears to have mis-managed a group of players good enough to have won more games than they have....

That buck has to stop somewhere...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Apr 2023 11:20

Linden Jones' Tash There's a lot of verbage, but at least it's from a position of authority - i.e. within his remit, unlike the manager who appears to talk vacuously without specifying whether he has actual knowledge or not.

However, he is still responsible for hiring a manager who appears to have mis-managed a group of players good enough to have won more games than they have....

That buck has to stop somewhere...

TBF Ince and Bowen were both announced in their roles on the same day - so not sure you can say Bowen had much of a hand in making Ince permanent - for all we know it may have been part of the deal when Ince came in as interim - i.e. a clause stating - if we stay up, you get the job.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Apr 2023 11:45

Vision
morganb I wonder if had Bowen been here when the business plan was being drawn up if it would have been worded differently?

Pang would have had all the say. It might have been achievable on the premise of selling a player or players but if the subsequent DOF and Manager both took the view that it wasn't worth selling players because we couldn't reinvest it directly in replacements then that is on the latter.

FWIW they may have taken the view that someone like Joao or Meite would be more of a point differential on the field than the 6 point penalty off of it. If either scores a winner or two in the next few games , who's to say they weren't correct.

Shame they didn't get P Ince to buy into that plan, if indeed that was their plan.