MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a)

398 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a)

by South Coast Royal » 11 Apr 2023 13:20

South Coast Royal Should we read too much into Pince supposedly not travelling back on the team coach?
Is it ironic that we play Luton next week?
Watch this space.
Rumours eh?

I'll do a DD and claim to be first with the news that my son gave me last night.
The second part depends upon which division we are in next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2023 13:30

South Coast Royal
South Coast Royal Should we read too much into Pince supposedly not travelling back on the team coach?
Watch this space.
Rumours eh?

I'll do a DD and claim to be first with the news that my son gave me last night.

Yea good shout SCR. I did notice your comment last night

You saying Jones if we stay up?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Apr 2023 13:35

Hound
South Coast Royal
Watch this space.
Rumours eh?

Yes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2023 13:58

South Coast Royal
Hound
South Coast Royal

Yes.

Would be a good appointment imo

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Apr 2023 14:17

Hound
South Coast Royal
Hound

Yes.

I think so too.
He had good coaching experience at Brighton before two very good spells at Luton tempered by two poor spells at difficult clubs (for different reasons) in Stoke and an already struggling Southampton.

Also there would be a language affinity with Bowen. :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Apr 2023 14:20

South Coast Royal
Hound
South Coast Royal
Yes.

I think so too.
He had good coaching experience at Brighton before two very good spells at Luton tempered by two poor spells at difficult clubs (for different reasons) in Stoke and an already struggling Southampton.
Also most managers have been sacked at some time in their career, it is that kind of job.

one bonus is that there would be a language affinity with Bowen. :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2023 14:26

South Coast Royal
Hound
South Coast Royal
Yes.

I think so too.

Zip will be happy

Where is he out of interest? Not seen him for ages

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Apr 2023 14:28

Hound
South Coast Royal
Hound

I think so too.

Zip will be happy

Has been absent for a good 6 weeks or so-hopefully if our club becomes more Welsh he will be tempted back to here.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Apr 2023 15:04

Snowflake Royal
leon
YorkshireRoyal99
I'm not saying it's good, or that it's working, but it was pretty obvious what we were doing yesterday and it was pretty obvious why it's not working as well. The point was that there was "no plan", that's not true, there is, it's just not working through a combination of poor management and low quality players.

I think you know people are saying his tactics were one dimensional (putting it mildly) and have been proven not to work for months - if ever. However he has persisted. Which leads people to the conclusion that he has no plans. Otherwise we would have seen a different set of tactics ?

It’s a fair conclusion. Is it not?

As for organisation? Well we look a shambles. Midfield is incapable of retaining possession or feeding the attack.

On Friday I watched as we were chasing a victory in injury time and our two attackers watched Birminghams defence pass the ball to each other without trying to close them down and win possession. Moronic football.

Damnit Valentine, hoofing to Carroll isn’t a plan, hoofing to Carroll is what you do when a plan fails.

Or what you do by way of a cross and that, sadly, is the one hoof to big Andy they don’t do. Thinking this week could be a bit of a shock to the players if Noel has a flexible gameplan…. :shock:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Apr 2023 15:50

URZZZZ
Hound That’s not to say now he’s not way out of his depth and has failed in a number of aspects - esp sorting out the defence which is abysmal

Is the defence “abysmal”? I’m sure that on paper, there’s plenty of worse defences than, take Yiadom - Holmes - Sarr and Rahman

It’s a difficult one because on the one hand, being the worse defensive team (or at least one of the worst) two seasons in a row does point to that

But for two seasons in a a row, our two cowardly managers have invited this pressure on the defence. Defending starts from the front yet we seem content in letting the opponents have the ball, build up of patterns and play and get it into our box. Yet when our defence has the ball, the attackers are swarming onto us (inevitably leading to a hit and hope to Carroll). Can a manager with such pedigree in his playing days really not see the difference?

Ince's stunted thought processes don't help. When he had a plethora of centre halves he still played Yiadom as one of them. Yesterday he assembled the slowest collection of centre halves in the Championship. So we defend so deep that the midfield have miles and miles of space to chase shadows.

If he was insistent on 3 at the back , Yiadom could have played on the right side of the centre halves and Abrefa (who looks every inch a wing back to me) could have played as a right sided wing back. But that would've involved some thought and playing a "kid". Just like the one who scored for us when he was finally given a little more than 5 minutes at the arse end of a game or y'know the bloke who's been banging them in for Preston in recent weeks.

If his son was the only creative outlet we have (according to him) then surely when he's injured why not try playing the nearest person to him in terms of skillset (taking players on, taking set pieces etc ) in Azeez?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Apr 2023 16:41

South Coast Royal
Hound
South Coast Royal
Yes.

I think so too.

Lucky Reading aren’t a difficult club then :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Apr 2023 17:00

Sutekh
South Coast Royal
Hound

I think so too.

Lucky Reading aren’t a difficult club then :wink:

:D :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Apr 2023 11:07

Vision
URZZZZ
Hound That’s not to say now he’s not way out of his depth and has failed in a number of aspects - esp sorting out the defence which is abysmal

Is the defence “abysmal”? I’m sure that on paper, there’s plenty of worse defences than, take Yiadom - Holmes - Sarr and Rahman

It’s a difficult one because on the one hand, being the worse defensive team (or at least one of the worst) two seasons in a row does point to that

But for two seasons in a a row, our two cowardly managers have invited this pressure on the defence. Defending starts from the front yet we seem content in letting the opponents have the ball, build up of patterns and play and get it into our box. Yet when our defence has the ball, the attackers are swarming onto us (inevitably leading to a hit and hope to Carroll). Can a manager with such pedigree in his playing days really not see the difference?

Ince's stunted thought processes don't help. When he had a plethora of centre halves he still played Yiadom as one of them. Yesterday he assembled the slowest collection of centre halves in the Championship. So we defend so deep that the midfield have miles and miles of space to chase shadows.

If he was insistent on 3 at the back , Yiadom could have played on the right side of the centre halves and Abrefa (who looks every inch a wing back to me) could have played as a right sided wing back. But that would've involved some thought and playing a "kid". Just like the one who scored for us when he was finally given a little more than 5 minutes at the arse end of a game or y'know the bloke who's been banging them in for Preston in recent weeks.

If his son was the only creative outlet we have (according to him) then surely when he's injured why not try playing the nearest person to him in terms of skillset (taking players on, taking set pieces etc ) in Azeez?

Agreed with that. Mentioned all the way back in October time that what Ince was saying simply didn’t correlate with his actions. I get the argument that press conferences aren’t gospel but he was making himself look bitter and a bit of a fool

Ince got his back three wrong far too often. I don’t quite get the vitriol towards Dann as I think he’s been OK this season (certainly better showings than his counterpart Sarr) but bringing Dann in to shift Holmes to be an overlapping RCB (at which he struggles with) to shift Yiadom to RWB (at which he struggles with) summed up the last few months of his tenure here

Don’t quite think Azeez is quite where people think he is (he really struggled at Cardiff, for example) but to reduce him to the odd 10 minute cameo here and there given the dearth of movement and creativity is something which is hard to grasp

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2023 11:42

Dann used to be a good defender. But if you can't get around the pitch you're a worthless defender. Absolute waste of money the last two seasons. I get gambling last season. Idiocy to extend.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Apr 2023 17:44

Snowflake Royal Dann used to be a good defender. But if you can't get around the pitch you're a worthless defender. Absolute waste of money the last two seasons. I get gambling last season. Idiocy to extend.

A title winning defence including Pearce, Gorkss and Harte suggests otherwise! What is perhaps more true, is that we don’t have the framework around Dann that the three aforementioned did, with the likes of McAnuff, Karacan and Leigertwood compared to Loum (miles too erratic), Hendrick and Fornah (neither of which get involved enough in the game)

As mentioned earlier on the thread, the lack of pressing at the top end of the pitch coupled with a weak midfield magnifies the work on the defence

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 14 Apr 2023 18:08

South Coast Royal
Hound
South Coast Royal
I think so too.

Zip will be happy

Has been absent for a good 6 weeks or so-hopefully if our club becomes more Welsh he will be tempted back to here.

Or if Parky gets the job?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 14 Apr 2023 18:10

Snowflake Royal Dann used to be a good defender. But if you can't get around the pitch you're a worthless defender. Absolute waste of money the last two seasons. I get gambling last season. Idiocy to extend.

Still a better player than your lump Loum.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2023 20:45

URZZZZ

A title winning defence including Pearce, Gorkss and Harte suggests otherwise! What is perhaps more true, is that we don’t have the framework around Dann that the three aforementioned did, with the likes of McAnuff, Karacan and Leigertwood compared to Loum (miles too erratic), Hendrick and Fornah (neither of which get involved enough in the game)

As mentioned earlier on the thread, the lack of pressing at the top end of the pitch coupled with a weak midfield magnifies the work on the defence

All three were much mobile than Dann is now. Much more.

398 posts