398 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a)

by Sutekh » 07 Apr 2023 17:28

When : Monday 10th April 2023, 3pm
Where : Deepdale, Preston, PR1 6RU
Capacity : 23,404

Really can’t be bothered with this any more, Ince appears to be utterly clueless and Reading are utterly pathetic away from home (1 draw and 7 defeats in the last 8 games). As Preston are rather decent, at home and it’s a miserably long journey I think we can all guess the likely outcome, particularly with the present excuse for a manager.

It gets better as well given Preston have only lost 1 of the last 10 league games and have only conceded 2 in 7 matches

Reading though are unbeaten in 3 (all 1-1 draws :roll: ) but, like most, I really struggle to see the club getting anything out of this. Tommy Cannon is the current fit threat at Deepdale then there’s Spurs loanee Troy Parrott and we all know about Daniel Johnson who forms a very useful midfield alongside Ben Woodburn and Brad Potts.

Loum will be back from suspension in time for this one so at least that’s an extra midfield option that might help, however the vast amount of injuries (many season ending) rather curtails much in the way of changing things so it has to be down to the management to be clever and formulate something different by way of a gameplan :lol:

Preston are without leading scorer Ched Evans as well as the rather useful Emil Ris Jakobsen and Greg Cunningham but despite that they’ve managed to keep a winning feeling.

QPR and Cardiff are probably the 2 sides that Reading need to be aiming for as Colin has started to prove clever enough to get even Huddersfield winning (oh why didn’t Reading talk to him last summer). Cardiff host Sunderland while QPR are off to WBA so I think that if Reading could get something out of this one then there’s a good chance of getting out of the bottom three.

Referee

John Busby

Previously

03 Jan 22 > Reading 2-2 Derby County
29 Sep 21 > Derby County 1-0 Reading

Historically

It took 9 visits to Deepdale to get a first win and there have only been 7 for Reading in the total 31 league games played there to date. In that time Preston have managed 18 home victories very much setting a low expectation for Reading in this fixture. So that’s one home victory for every goal Preston scored in that 18-0 cup game back in the 1890s. Still Reading are long overdue a bit of luck in a game, so why not here?

How to follow the game

1. Get ticket and travel
  2. Red button service
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Apr 2023 17:51

Just got to keep believing that this will be the game that we will get that win, not impossible or anything as Preston haven't been that impressive at home this season up until recently where they have been beating the bottom sides. Nobody thought we'd get anything there last season and we got all 3, so you never know, it's just one game.

Ince has said we need 3 wins, we've got 6 games left to do so. I think we can probably do it with 6/7 points from our remaining games, it just depends on what others around us do.

Just a shame we can't have too much rotation due to our injury situation again, but I suspect Loum might come back into it here and Rahman if he is fit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Apr 2023 18:44

Where is t ince - any chance of him coming back?

Loum is useful to come back in. Obvs half the time he is dire but hopefully he can have some of his good games

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Apr 2023 19:28

Hound Where is t ince - any chance of him coming back?

Loum is useful to come back in. Obvs half the time he is dire but hopefully he can have some of his good games

God knows what’s wrong with Ince jnr. He is due another scan Thursday and depending on the results the club should apparently know if he’s done for the season or not.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2023 20:08

Sutekh
Hound Where is t ince - any chance of him coming back?

God knows what’s wrong with Ince jnr. He is due another scan Thursday and depending on the results the club should apparently know if he’s done for the season or not.

Maybe he's strained his jaw moaning at Holmes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2023 20:12

Not sure where Loum features on a return, especially as he varies wildly from outstanding to liability. Hendrick isn't going to be dropped despite spending most of games seeming to be absent. Casadei looks the pick of the bunch and Fornah looks like he might create something occasionally.

We're 40 games into the season and Ince still doesn't know how to get his forward options to link up.

What would be really nice is if Ince could stop drawing names out of a hat and actually pick players that make up a team with a plan on how to play. And I don't mean hoof at Carroll.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Apr 2023 20:25

I can’t say I am looking forward to this one but I keep going in the hope something will change. I don’t see us getting anymore wins this season and I think if QPR and Huddersfield get one more win each we’re doomed.

I hope I am wrong but after hearing Ince on BBCRB I have completely changed my mind about him. Basically, he’s a twat and not fit for purpose.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Apr 2023 22:08

Nailed on defeat in this

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 07 Apr 2023 23:08

A contender for the most nailed on home win in the history of football. I would not go to this game if you offered me a free ride in a Lear jet And luxury box. For those who go I salute you. But you really do need to evaluate where you are heading in life.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 07 Apr 2023 23:18

Have bet on a PNE win, so either I win, money or Reading get a point/points so win win

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2023 07:51

Snowflake Royal Not sure where Loum features on a return, especially as he varies wildly from outstanding to liability. Hendrick isn't going to be dropped despite spending most of games seeming to be absent. Casadei looks the pick of the bunch and Fornah looks like he might create something occasionally.

We're 40 games into the season and it Ince still doesn't know how to get his forward options to link up.

What would be really nice is if Ince could stop drawing names out of a hat and actually pick players that make up a team with a plan on how to play. And I don't mean hoof at Carroll.

He’ll come in for Fornah

On paper we should have an ok midfield and forward options, just need to get them to perform as well as not concede. 2 things beyond us atm

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 08 Apr 2023 07:57

Hound
Snowflake Royal Not sure where Loum features on a return, especially as he varies wildly from outstanding to liability. Hendrick isn't going to be dropped despite spending most of games seeming to be absent. Casadei looks the pick of the bunch and Fornah looks like he might create something occasionally.

We're 40 games into the season and it Ince still doesn't know how to get his forward options to link up.

He’ll come in for Fornah

On paper we should have an ok midfield and forward options, just need to get them to perform as well as not concede. 2 things beyond us atm

So Ince will play Loum on the wing then.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2023 08:39

No. Play him 6 with Hendrick and Casadei ahead of him I expect

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2023 09:03

SouthDownsRoyal Have bet on a PNE win, so either I win, money or Reading get a point/points so win win

Good idea.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Apr 2023 10:40

We're 40 games into the season and Ince still doesn't know how to get his forward options to link up.

Yeah I'd say he comes in for Fornah for some extra legs in the midfield I imagine.

It was always going to be tough though given our recruitment, we had to rely on what's available, we couldn't specifically build a team that could gel, we just needed players in positions to be competitive in the league. As you say, we're 40 odd games into the season and there is still (most of the time) very little cohesion between our attacking players. We either ditch the 2 up top idea or just recognise that we aren't going to be a potent attacking force as our options don't really allow it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2023 10:49

YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah I'd say he comes in for Fornah for some extra legs in the midfield I imagine.

It was always going to be tough though given our recruitment, we had to rely on what's available, we couldn't specifically build a team that could gel, we just needed players in positions to be competitive in the league. As you say, we're 40 odd games into the season and there is still (most of the time) very little cohesion between our attacking players. We either ditch the 2 up top idea or just recognise that we aren't going to be a potent attacking force as our options don't really allow it.

That's certainly what Ince will do, so equally as certainly wrong.

Our squad is easily good enough to stay up.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Apr 2023 10:56

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah but not with 9 injuries to our squad though, I'm not sure many sides that would be operating at "our level", probably lower mid-table, would be able to cope with 9 injuries. They'd all certainly struggle anyway that's for sure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2023 10:57

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Based on what? It’s a poor squad which is full of freebies, not quite good enoughs and injury prone ‘stars’ coming to the end of their contract

It’s bottom 5 at best. We fluked a load wins early season hence why we are just about still afloat

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2023 11:00

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah but not with 9 injuries to our squad though, I'm not sure many sides that would be operating at "our level", probably lower mid-table, would be able to cope with 9 injuries. They'd all certainly struggle anyway that's for sure.

How many of those injured players should realistically be starting?

Moore - no
McIntyre - not paired with Holmes
Rahman - no
Hoilett - no
Hutchinson - maybe
Ince - yes
Long - no
Ejaria - no

So our bench is a bit weak. But the 14 who got on the pitch yesterday are easily good enough to stay up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2023 11:02

Hound
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Based on what? It’s a poor squad which is full of freebies, not quite good enoughs and injury prone ‘stars’ coming to the end of their contract

It’s bottom 5 at best. We fluked a load wins early season hence why we are just about still afloat

Based on the fact we're still in contention with a 6 point deduction and an absolutely dreadful manager who has consistently misused his squad and has gradually made half of them worse players, whilst constantly playing to the weaknesses of the better ones.

398 posts