CONFIMRED - Paul Ince sacked

188 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Paul Ince sacked

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Apr 2023 12:27

Thanks to Paul Ince for the positive things he did, ie getting the wins to keep us up last season and putting together a squad who wanted to play for us (at least initially) this season.

Without the six-point deduction he would in all probability still be the manager so he's unlucky in that respect for something which was not his fault and he could do nothing about.

That said, it's poor results that kill managers in the end. Those poor results, usually accompanied certainly in this case by dreadful football, lead to losing the fans and loss of confidence among the playing squad. That quickly makes any other considerations irrelevant and the manager's position untenable. That's what's happened here.

Best of luck in the future Paul.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 11 Apr 2023 12:33

Had to go. If they'd have kept him and we went down questions would have been asked.

If we go down now, they can say they tried to change it.

All too late I think, but good luck to Noel, it is not an impossible task.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Apr 2023 12:39

I’m glad he’s gone but I do feel that he has helped to improve the structure of the football club.

The negative football has been terrible to watch and I can see why he hasn’t lasted too long anywhere as a manager. I still believe we’ll get relegated but Mr Hunt will have my wholehearted support.

Webster750

by Webster750 » 11 Apr 2023 12:46

Unfortunate for Hunt that his first 2 (arguably 3) fixtures are ones where defensive/negative tactics would probably be preferred if we're looking to get anything simply due to how good the opposition is.

Just hope everybody backs him throughout now, regardless of where we find ourselves following those games.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Apr 2023 13:23

stealthpapes
I do wonder when the players found out about the points deduction, because it does feel like there's been a real slackening of attitudes since the start of the year.

There's definitely been a drop in form directly after the news of a second deduction was announced.

First news of potential points deduction this season was March 1st 2023 (see, e.g. here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... cial-rules)

That's between games 33 (win at Blackpool, 25th Feb) and 34, above.

(The other striking run of poor form is October-November, where we played 11 games in about 43 days around the world cup)

The effect of the deduction, or at least rumours of a deduction, is more marked than last year, I think - our form cratered after Xmas, a month or so after the deduction was enforced. The biggest event before that one would have been Kiddy away - we were actually alright vs Derby, if a bit naive in the last twenty.

Since the early-season excitement we have been P30 W6-D8-L16 26 Points

Well over half a season of very poor results. Can't argue with that!

Fezza

by Fezza » 11 Apr 2023 13:34

I feel for the man, he's done exactly what was required of him nut has been let down by our ast mismanagement and a frankly awful run of injuries. This said his nonsensical interviews and the dire performances mean that this is for the best. Fingers crossed Noel can inject some positivity and get some you players with pace into the team.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 11 Apr 2023 14:23

Pissed away so many games from the inaction, really should’ve gone during the international break.

Paul Ince refused to change up when it blatantly wasn’t working and was at best insulting in that interview yesterday. I do not wish him well.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Apr 2023 14:30

Fezza I feel for the man, he's done exactly what was required of him nut has been let down by our ast mismanagement and a frankly awful run of injuries. This said his nonsensical interviews and the dire performances mean that this is for the best. Fingers crossed Noel can inject some positivity and get some you players with pace into the team.

I only feel sorry that we asked him to be manager in the first place

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 11 Apr 2023 14:30

Havent posted in here for years. Thank God they got rid. We now have a decent chance of surviving.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Apr 2023 14:39

I'm never a fan of sacking a manager but there was an inevitability about this decision that is hard to argue against.

Did I read somewhere that Paul Ince has never managed a side for a complete season (ie: from Game 1 to Game 46)?

I only hope that we haven't seen Thomas Ince in a Reading shirt for the last time as a result of this decision, but it certainly means he might be a tiny bit less motivated to return quickly from his injury.......

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 11 Apr 2023 14:41

Mr Angry I'm never a fan of sacking a manager but there was an inevitability about this decision that is hard to argue against.

Did I read somewhere that Paul Ince has never managed a side for a complete season (ie: from Game 1 to Game 46)?

I only hope that we haven't seen Thomas Ince in a Reading shirt for the last time as a result of this decision, but it certainly means he might be a tiny bit less motivated to return quickly from his injury.......

According to Dellor and co he left the stands with 3 minutes left on the clock with the score at 1-1 yesterday. Odd time to leave.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Apr 2023 14:53

Hard to argue with. Best case the change keeps us up.

Worst, we drop but can move quick to put in the team to attempt to bounce back.
Last edited by Stranded on 11 Apr 2023 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Apr 2023 15:02

Sutekh Hoping for new permanent manager at the end of the season.
Let's see how Noel does, if he wins every game maybe we search for a new U21's coach instead

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Apr 2023 15:07

Nice deflection by Dai. Why now? Thrown under a bus. The puppet master is rapidly running out of strings to pull. Wonder if Ince spoke his mind to the invisible owner. Caused a bust up. Feel sorry for Paul Ince. Under intolerable levels of pressure. Honest decent guy. Wish him well.

Five games under a novice manager. Not the way to fight relegation.

PS, Where's the CEO? Is Bowen the only one left able to speak.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2023 15:21

Doubt Dai has had anything to do with it

In fact think he gets far more ‘credit’ than he deserves for many decisions made. He is hardly hands on from the look of it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Apr 2023 15:24

Lower West Nice deflection by Dai. Why now? Thrown under a bus. The puppet master is rapidly running out of strings to pull. Wonder if Ince spoke his mind to the invisible owner. Caused a bust up. Feel sorry for Paul Ince. Under intolerable levels of pressure. Honest decent guy. Wish him well.

Five games under a novice manager. Not the way to fight relegation.

PS, Where's the CEO? Is Bowen the only one left able to speak.

Whilst I do have sympathy for Ince, 2023 has been pretty horrific to date and whilst it is a club fcuk up to be where we are, the form gave no confidence that we already had enough points or any view of how we could move forward effectively.

It was increasingly clear that Ince was not going to be here next year regardless of success in keeping us up, so replacing him now does improve the chances we do - it certainly changes the narrative around the club - and gives Bowen & co the chance to find the right person to take the side forward in whichever division as we rebuild outside restrictions.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 11 Apr 2023 15:32

Presumably this also has minimal effect on our finances too, as "wasted" wages on Ince will only be the two months or so remaining on his contract, and with Noel already on the books there's no additional fees there either.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 11 Apr 2023 15:36

Brum Royal Presumably this also has minimal effect on our finances too, as "wasted" wages on Ince will only be the two months or so remaining on his contract, and with Noel already on the books there's no additional fees there either.

One can imagine that Noel Hunt will have asked for a pay rise in recognition of his status, and that someone else will be asking for a similar payment to look after the U21s. But yes, sacking someone with 5 games to go isnt going to cost the earth.

If it keeps us up it pays for itself.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Apr 2023 15:42

Mr Angry I'm never a fan of sacking a manager but there was an inevitability about this decision that is hard to argue against.

He's contracted until 2025 and from what I've seen this season is a consummate professional so can't imagine he'd flounce off, don't think he did when his dad got the push at Blackpool.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Apr 2023 16:11

stealthpapes
I do wonder when the players found out about the points deduction, because it does feel like there's been a real slackening of attitudes since the start of the year.

There's definitely been a drop in form directly after the news of a second deduction was announced.

First news of potential points deduction this season was March 1st 2023 (see, e.g. here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... cial-rules)

That's between games 33 (win at Blackpool, 25th Feb) and 34, above.

(The other striking run of poor form is October-November, where we played 11 games in about 43 days around the world cup)

The effect of the deduction, or at least rumours of a deduction, is more marked than last year, I think - our form cratered after Xmas, a month or so after the deduction was enforced. The biggest event before that one would have been Kiddy away - we were actually alright vs Derby, if a bit naive in the last twenty.

I do wonder when the players first knew about us probably having points deducted, as I'd be amazed if it was the same time that it was made public.

Then again, at the time it was announced it looked like we'd stay up comfortably.

188 posts