CONFIMRED - Paul Ince sacked

188 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Paul Ince sacked

by tmesis » 15 Apr 2023 21:22

Franchise FC
AthleticoSpizz Whatever points that we accrue that keep us up, most would’ve been under Paul Ince’s watch….worth remembering that in your easy pile-ons

Exactly

Right decision but still deserves some credit

In some ways I think the biggest debt we owe to Ince is him telling the owner the club was a shambles, and it needs a proper structure, not just letting agents do everything.

Without that, I think we'd be doomed to just repeat the mistakes of overspending on crappy players for years to come.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Apr 2023 21:24

Like we have done……but under Ince,without any money

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Apr 2023 21:34

tmesis
Franchise FC
AthleticoSpizz Whatever points that we accrue that keep us up, most would’ve been under Paul Ince’s watch….worth remembering that in your easy pile-ons

Exactly

Right decision but still deserves some credit

In some ways I think the biggest debt we owe to Ince is him telling the owner the club was a shambles, and it needs a proper structure, not just letting agents do everything.

Without that, I think we'd be doomed to just repeat the mistakes of overspending on crappy players for years to come.

Yep agreed

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Apr 2023 22:52

Ince certainly deserves a bit of credit but no disrespect but it wasn't hard to understand what the club needed and he wasn't a great manager for us

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Apr 2023 23:50

Royal_jimmy Ince certainly deserves a bit of credit but no disrespect but it wasn't hard to understand what the club needed and he wasn't a great manager for us

Like almost every manager we've had in the last 10 years, he started well, then it was like a switch flicked after about 6 months, and it all started to fall apart. Stam maintained that 'doing a good job' impression a few months longer than the rest, but not much longer.

The Reading job has become a managers' graveyard.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Sep 2023 12:15

Interview in which former Reading FC boss Paul Ince claims he did a phenomenal job despite relegation:

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... elegation/

Ince ...failed to win any of his final eight matches. ... he looks back at the job he and Alex Rae did at Reading and it was phenomenal

We were decimated by injuries and had our main talisman Tom Ince out for ten games. We had kids on the bench

I love Noel Hunt and no disrespect to him, but to bring in someone like that with the pressure of the position we were in was one of the reasons we went down.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Sep 2023 12:17

morganb Interview in which former Reading FC boss Paul Ince claims he did a phenomenal job despite relegation:

Ince ...failed to win any of his final eight matches. ... he looks back at the job he and Alex Rae did at Reading and it was phenomenal

We were decimated by injuries and had our main talisman Tom Ince out for ten games. We had kids on the bench

I love Noel Hunt and no disrespect to him, but to bring in someone like that with the pressure of the position we were in was one of the reasons we went down.

I defended him while here, but he's always been known to be an arrogant git hasn't he.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 06 Sep 2023 12:23

"I love Noel Hunt and no disrespect to him, but to bring in someone like that with the pressure of the position we were in was one of the reasons we went down."

this could get interesting - wtf does he mean by "someone like that"?

so tone deaf given the situation he was (partly) responsible for

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Sep 2023 12:28

Reminds me of Jaap Stam who complained that the club didn't kick on and invest in 2017 and that's why his 2nd season failed, when in reality we pissed so much money up the wall that we've paid for it ever since.

It's notable that of our failed managers, Rodgers was the only one who talked about what he learnt from it, and by coincidence he's the only one who has gone on to be successful.

In Ince's defence, there were many issues at the Club bigger than him. Relegation was long on the cards. But his run from January or so was dire in results and performances, while his public slating of his own players was unforgivable management. His sacking was utterly deserved and almost certainly too late. If he's deluding himself that he did an amazing job then I hope it makes him happy, but it also ensures he will never have a successful management career. Show some humility and learn to progress.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2023 12:39

morganb Interview in which former Reading FC boss Paul Ince claims he did a phenomenal job despite relegation:

I think he has to be the biggest assclown we've ever had at the club. Utterly deluded.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Sep 2023 12:41

Ince was an odd one. Thing is it’s difficult to argue he didn’t do a good job up until January - maybe up until the rumours of the points deduction

Problem is the football was so disgusting to watch under him as soon as we started losing games everyone was soon going to turn against him, and probably rightfully so

By the end of his time we were a mess - complete refusal to play tbe young players instead of half fit experienced pros was one of my biggest issues along with the complete inability to keep a clean sheet despite setting up so defensively. Along with being as utterly joyless to watch as any side I’ve seen in my life

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 06 Sep 2023 13:16

Would agree with all that. The frustration came when there were glimpses of a decent attacking side.

Fourth game of last season, Blackburn at home is one of my favourite games in recent years.
By the time we played them away in March near the end of his reign, the bulk of the team was the same (Fornah, Guinness-Walker, Yiadom and Hoilett out; Sarr, Mbengue, Joao and Casadei in), but the football was just utterly dreadful. He just seemed completely out of ideas, so defensive, yet boring to watch.

Ironic with his jibes about Noel Hunt, that the clean sheet we got against Burnley in Hunt's first match, was our first in the league since beating Coventry 1-0 in December!

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 06 Sep 2023 13:28

I understand the team couldn’t play free flowing football but he just did the opposite extreme. He also had no idea what to do when it wasn’t working.

Should’ve never got the job in the first place.

traff

by traff » 06 Sep 2023 14:01

He should put himself forward for Nadine Dorries's seat, seems to have the perfect mentality to become PM.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Sep 2023 14:06

An arrogant git as shows again in the interview but I still maintain we wouldn't have been close to going down without the points deduction even with the dire football on offer.

The news broke just after our win against Blackpool which left us a dozen or so points clear - it just seemed to fall apart after that.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 06 Sep 2023 14:07

Linden Jones' Tash "I love Noel Hunt and no disrespect to him, but to bring in someone like that with the pressure of the position we were in was one of the reasons we went down."

this could get interesting - wtf does he mean by "someone like that"?

I guess he means "inexperienced".

I love Noel Hunt too, but that was undeniable.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2023 14:10

As usual "it wasn't me, I'm not the one to blame". :roll:

So who was it then picking the teams and getting them to play in an ultra negative manner when we've seen (just 2/3 months later) that the "kids" certainly have enough about them to have been given a chance. At least putting them onto the bench and letting them come on with vibrance and energy late in games couldn't have been worse than the complete and utter no hope shite we had to endure in game after game after game.

In fact, given what we have seen, I would have been tempted to put Abbey in instead of the clapped out Dann and pushed for Craig or someone in midfield instead of the utterly useless Loum and certainly have had Wifi over Carroll.

But most of all I wouldn't have had the players going out every game seemingly looking to cling on to a 0-0, esp. not after fielding J Lumley, T McIntyre, T Fornah, M Ndiaye, T Holmes, A Yiadom, N Guinness-Walker (K Abrefa, 80), D Hoilett (J Clarke, 89), J Hendrick, S Long (L Joao, 70), T Ince against Blackburn (think only Tom Ince was missing from that lot in the last weeks of the season).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Sep 2023 14:25

Mid Sussex Royal An arrogant git as shows again in the interview but I still maintain we wouldn't have been close to going down without the points deduction even with the dire football on offer.

The news broke just after our win against Blackpool which left us a dozen or so points clear - it just seemed to fall apart after that.

Ince, however, admitted that he had none since January that it was almost inevitable. He should probably have treated it as such from that point onwards. Instead he kept vainly trying to defend nil and go for draws rather than the wins which would have seen us safe even after the further 6 point deduction.

The clown claims that the games after his sacking were winnable, which is incredibly rich given how many before his sacking were winnable but were missed out on because he set his teams up for draws and consequential failure!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Sep 2023 14:39

Mid Sussex Royal An arrogant git as shows again in the interview but I still maintain we wouldn't have been close to going down without the points deduction even with the dire football on offer.

Our mentality seemed to fall apart with the news. Did we get another win after the news broke? Seems like our worst football started then too.

Think it's fair to say he'd have kept us up without it, but he also played a massive role in the disintegration. Ultra negative, slating the players publicly, not giving youth a chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Sep 2023 14:55

Really don't care what Ince has to say months after the event.

He could've openly admitted that everything was his fault and I'd still give it a PartridgeShurg.gif

188 posts