CONFIMRED - Paul Ince sacked

188 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Paul Ince sacked

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Sep 2023 18:40

MIM Royal We went down as a result of the owners failure to manage the club properly, and the 6 point penalty applied in April was the killer. We all saw the shoulders drop, on and off the pitch.

Players that we got were here because no one else wanted them and the defence was woeful. We flattered to deceive until the World Cup break, with the Blackburn game the 3 year stand out performance. The results at Birmingham, Preston and Cardiff, and the home draw with QPR showed how our players could just implode by themselves.

Ince didn't and hasn't helped himself with the comments he made, but he called it right and in all honesty most times. He didn't unduly favour his son, who was our best, most consistent player, and he was as passionate about wanting RFC to stay up as anyone.

If he had stayed, we may have scrapped by, with more chance than poor Noel, who was the sacrificial lamb.

Fans expecting miracles from the team we had, was never going to happen. There is a reason Reading were described as a basket case, and it wasn't Ince.

I agree with a lot of this. The form actually tailed off earlier than the points deduction, in fact when it was first rumoured, as I said earlier.

And yes, TInce wasn't given any favours, we all would have had him as first name on the team sheet.

Where he majorly went wrong was his post match comments and arrogance, which has again come through in this interview. I don't believe we would have stayed up though, sacking or not.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Sep 2023 19:02

Lower West
leon
Lower West Sounds as if some people need counselling.

What an odd comment.

To normal people would make perfect sense.

Well done smart arse.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Sep 2023 20:08

Mid Sussex Royal
MIM Royal We went down as a result of the owners failure to manage the club properly, and the 6 point penalty applied in April was the killer. We all saw the shoulders drop, on and off the pitch.

Players that we got were here because no one else wanted them and the defence was woeful. We flattered to deceive until the World Cup break, with the Blackburn game the 3 year stand out performance. The results at Birmingham, Preston and Cardiff, and the home draw with QPR showed how our players could just implode by themselves.

Ince didn't and hasn't helped himself with the comments he made, but he called it right and in all honesty most times. He didn't unduly favour his son, who was our best, most consistent player, and he was as passionate about wanting RFC to stay up as anyone.

If he had stayed, we may have scrapped by, with more chance than poor Noel, who was the sacrificial lamb.

Fans expecting miracles from the team we had, was never going to happen. There is a reason Reading were described as a basket case, and it wasn't Ince.

I agree with a lot of this. The form actually tailed off earlier than the points deduction, in fact when it was first rumoured, as I said earlier.

And yes, TInce wasn't given any favours, we all would have had him as first name on the team sheet.

Where he majorly went wrong was his post match comments and arrogance, which has again come through in this interview. I don't believe we would have stayed up though, sacking or not.

I agree as well. PInce is clearly lacking in some elements of management, but his tenure was a respectable effort in impossible circumstances. A better manager might have kept us up. Quite a few would have had us relegated much earlier.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Sep 2023 17:22

In fairness, I think most of this is pretty accurate. The one thing I'd add is, when we say we were looking at he bottom of the barrel for players, we also had a bottom of the barrel manager too. Honest in his way, but way too negative at moments when he really didn't need to be and he could have tried to lift the mood of the club a bit more. It was never "let's see how far we can go" but always looking to keep a lid on everything.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Sep 2023 23:09

It's very notable that the one player he consistently praised, almost never criticised and almost never subbed was his son.

Yes, TInce was our best player, but there was blatant favouritism going on. Beyond what was reasonable.

Paul was just a managerial dinosaur who was never very good, given one last desperate attempt to prove different. And it basically went the same way as everywhere else.

Came in as a hardnut sorting out some basics. Became apparent he was clueless beyond that.

He has a potential role as a sixth month long consultant for poorly run clubs, but for Gods sake don't let him near managing the team or anything more nuanced or intellectual than just what a successful structure 20 years ago looked liie.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Sep 2023 11:30

Ince was a manager with a glowing playing CV with gut instinct and charisma....

Not my words btw but Dellor's in his latest BBC report.

Describes Selles as a "rookie sports scientist"

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Sep 2023 12:19

Mid Sussex Royal Ince was a manager with a glowing playing CV with gut instinct and charisma....

"charisma"?

Someone's a Man U fan of a certain age. The bloke could barely string a sentence together.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Sep 2023 15:31

Mid Sussex Royal Ince was a manager with a glowing playing CV with gut instinct and charisma....

Great coming from someone who acts like a rookie sports reporter.

Selles has a Masters Degree in Sports and Physiology as well as his UEFA Pro Licence. Both were attained by the time he was 25. He is now 40 years old with a wealth of experience in professional sport.

188 posts