New manager poll

139 posts

Who should get the permanent manager gig in the summer?

Noel Hunt
14%
Mark Bowen
3%
Dylan Kerr
8%
Nathan Jones
28%
Graham Murty
7%
Alan Pardew
7%
Some obscure bloke from a low level European league
13%
Ian Royal
21%

Total votes: 76
Fezza

Re: New manager poll

by Fezza » 11 Apr 2023 13:36

Would rather Morrison coming back as a young manager than any on that list excluding AP / Judas.

Our appointments in recent years have been awful, so not holding out much hope. Jones is a grade A bell, like a young Warnock, so maybe him!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Apr 2023 13:38

NathStPaul
South Coast Royal
genome No chance Nathan Jones comes here by the way, he was a bit arrogant while Southampton manager so I can't imagine his ego will want to go from the Premier League to League One within a year

My understanding is that it is a done deal IF we stay up.

Don't make up news SCR, you're better than that.

No need to make anything up-just reporting on what I heard last night as per my early morning post in the Preston game topic.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Apr 2023 13:40

Ian currently 2nd favourite amongst the supporters. Solid choice imo.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 11 Apr 2023 13:47

not a name, but I've always thought that former defenders/defensive midfielders don't end up making very attacking managers - their perspective around the importance of not conceding over emphasizes this side of things.

Granted, PINCE wasn't a defensive manager, more a non-attacking manager - we didn't score many and conceded lots.

so If it's a former player, I'd go for a former attacker or even goalkeeper - some of them have made great managers in the past.

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 Apr 2023 13:54

You're all stuck in the past century.
Let's get Dylan Mulvaney in!

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 11 Apr 2023 13:55

Webster750
savage 4 england What's so good about the Cowley's? Think League Two and below is their level.

As far as I'm aware they were quite unfairly dismissed by Huddersfield only a few days after ensuring their survival. Danny prefers control of transfers, scouting, personnel etc which is something Huddersfield weren't too keen on. Started brightly at Pompey but had a similar decline to what we're more used to of late.

I'd opt for them in League One, personally. Would definitely be a gamble.

Not sure how that would work given we now have a DoF and a scouting network. This may have worked before Bowen came back.

I actually have faith in Bowen and the rest to get things right in the end. Just going to take a while to sort out this mess.
Last edited by savage 4 england on 11 Apr 2023 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 11 Apr 2023 14:01

Sutekh
Elm Park Kid Bit surprised that they didn't ask McDermott to interim until the end of the season. He's still involved with the club, is in a good place at the moment, I guess would inspire some of the players to be managed by someone who actually has experience and track record of success.

Don’t think BM is involved with the club at the moment, isn’t he now in the business of giving presentations on depression in sport?

He would have 10,000 clients if he came back..

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Apr 2023 14:32

I have a real fear the club might factor this pole into their thinking and shortlist Ian Royal as their number 2 choice.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Apr 2023 14:36

Elm Park Kid Bit surprised that they didn't ask McDermott to interim until the end of the season. He's still involved with the club, is in a good place at the moment, I guess would inspire some of the players to be managed by someone who actually has experience and track record of success.
Noel Hunt has his number, we might find Brian dropping by to lend a hand/offer support/give a motivating speech.

I'd personally make the players sit through our last promotion highlights DVD, starting at the point where we played Rotherham, I think. A game which if we had lost would have seen us in the relegation zone. We won that and went on to win the title - could be inspirational, We did also sign Jason Roberts but maybe gloss over that bit as it doesn't fit the narrative.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Apr 2023 15:08

Forbury Lion
Noel Hunt has his number, we might find Brian dropping by to lend a hand/offer support/give a motivating speech.

I'd personally make the players sit through our last promotion highlights DVD, starting at the point where we played Rotherham, I think. A game which if we had lost would have seen us in the relegation zone. We won that and went on to win the title - could be inspirational, We did also sign Jason Roberts but maybe gloss over that bit as it doesn't fit the narrative.

Good idea, get BBC Berks to host it they’re good at hiding the things that don’t fit the narrative.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 11 Apr 2023 15:14

Adrian Viveash is assistant manager at Coventry and they aren't too shabby!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Apr 2023 15:16

Forbury Lion

It was Doncaster not not far off :wink:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Apr 2023 15:21

Forbury Lion I have a real fear the club might factor this pole into their thinking and shortlist Ian Royal as their number 2 choice.

I don’t know - a miserable negative old bloke might just be what’s needed to motivate the club. I vote Ian.

Ricardo

by Ricardo » 11 Apr 2023 15:44

Nathan Jones?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Is that a joke?
His press conferences in his short spell at Southampton were the ramblings of a madman.
And as for the Cowley brothers :| :| we’re not in the conference yet :D

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 11 Apr 2023 15:50

Fat Frank will be available soon.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2023 16:00

Chris Davies (one of our own).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2023 16:04

Kevin Nolan

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 11 Apr 2023 16:25

I voted for Ian. partly because he shares part of my name and partly because Brynyer Gunnarsson wasn't on the list.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Apr 2023 16:29

Pretty much every time we get a new manager in, it's somebody nobody has considered.

The financial business plan we'll have to adhere too will (probably) make it more difficult to get somebody in, unless it's someone who really wants a challenge.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Apr 2023 16:30

NathStPaul Ian currently 2nd favourite amongst the supporters. Solid choice imo.
makes sense, more longevity.Fans favourite

139 posts