New manager poll

139 posts

Who should get the permanent manager gig in the summer?

Noel Hunt
14%
Mark Bowen
3%
Dylan Kerr
8%
Nathan Jones
28%
Graham Murty
7%
Alan Pardew
7%
Some obscure bloke from a low level European league
13%
Ian Royal
21%

Total votes: 76
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New manager poll

by Sutekh » 11 Apr 2023 16:43

Glen Hoddle, local too if he still lives in Sonning.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 11 Apr 2023 16:45

Karl Robinson the current favourite with William Hill and BetVictor.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Apr 2023 16:49

SpaghettiHoop Karl Robinson the current favourite with William Hill and BetVictor.

God no!

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 11 Apr 2023 17:33

I'd like to know why Caroline's mum isn't in the list? Anybody listening to post match phone ins on Saturday would have heard Caroline's rousing Churchillian speech. During which she said that even her mum could manage the team better than PInce. On that basis, Caroline's mum for me :lol:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Apr 2023 17:52

What a bizarre set of options leaving me only the option of that tosspot Parj.

What I wrote elsewhere is more relevant here so forgive the repetition:

As has been mentioned by several others already, our managerial appointments in the last few years have all been dreadful.

Yes I know Brian and Parj were nobodies who worked out ok but Madejski is a different beast, with an eye for talent and he worked with both of these before. The last bunch of eyebrow raising nobody appointments have been generally as ridiculously bad as we feared they would be.

At the same time we've pumped more money into players than any other time in our history, to the point of actually breaking the rules.

To invest and risk so much in players yet not bother to attract a proven talent as a manager that can actually do something with them is absolutely bloody ridiculous and is the one thing that makes me angry.

A good manager can work wonders out of promising players and make Doyles, Longs and Kitsons out of unheard of players . A nobody manager will cock up with even the best.

Please please please Dai invest money where it's actually useful. You had the chance to bring in Warnock and didn't even talk to him. Instead we got a players dad who used to manage several years ago. Please for the love of God actually appoint a manager that at least sizeable proportion of Reading fans agree with, rather than baffling everyone every single time with a nobody.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Apr 2023 17:57

How about Ryan Mason at Spurs!! our scouting guy Brian Carey come from Spurs? maybe he can put in a good word for us. He might be out of our reach but we would be a good starting club for an aspiring new manager.

If not Brynjar Gunnarrson or Dylan Kerr, love the ex player ideas at clubs, it gives the fans a real boost.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Apr 2023 17:59

Bowen has an important job to do in his current role, don't want to move that.

Hope, if we stay up, we'd look at the likes of the following (not in order) alongside Hunt:

Neil Critchley
Leam Richardson
Justin Cochrane
Whoever doesn't go up of:
Steven Schumacher
Darren Moore
Kieran McKenna
Mikey Duff

expect Nathan Jones to be somewhere on the list also. Also like the shout of Mason above. Manning also.

Not sold on the former player route entirely but be fine with Murty or Jobi if it happened.

Got a big rebuild ahead of us this summer no matter what, should be setting foundations for the next 3-5 years.

Bryan's managerial career hasn't been anything special so far and as much as I like Dylan Kerr, not completely sold.

Not sure on Cowleys or Darrell Clarke.

Don't want Robinson.

Hope whoever we get can last a couple of seasons and start a slow build. A boring mid table finish in the Champ next season would be the dream right now.
Last edited by maffff on 11 Apr 2023 18:10, edited 5 times in total.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Apr 2023 18:00

The Cap I'd like to know why Caroline's mum isn't in the list? Anybody listening to post match phone ins on Saturday would have heard Caroline's rousing Churchillian speech. During which she said that even her mum could manage the team better than PInce. On that basis, Caroline's mum for me :lol:

I read that as Carroll's mum, seeing we've just had Thomas Ince's dad

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Apr 2023 18:53

Sutekh Glen Hoddle, local too if he still lives in Sonning.

Last managerial job was Wolves in 2006.

Last thing I can remember from him is his insistence that Raheem Sterling should play left back in the World Cup…

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 11 Apr 2023 19:24

OK - I've asked ChatGPT and it's going to be either Patrick Viera, Ralph Hasenhüttl or (more realistically) Paul Ince.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 11 Apr 2023 19:34

Who is Karl Robinson? Which team has he managed recently? And why are people all over here an Twatter saying a big no?
Snr knows / knew someone who lives / lived next door to B Mc D, when he lived in Bourne End (was it there he used to live)?, I’d take him back alongside NHunt and steady Eddie then as a coach.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2023 19:42

Crowbar6753 How about Ryan Mason at Spurs!! our scouting guy Brian Carey come from Spurs?

Hmm, decent shout that.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 11 Apr 2023 20:05

Jackson Corner
Sutekh
Elm Park Kid Bit surprised that they didn't ask McDermott to interim until the end of the season. He's still involved with the club, is in a good place at the moment, I guess would inspire some of the players to be managed by someone who actually has experience and track record of success.

Don’t think BM is involved with the club at the moment, isn’t he now in the business of giving presentations on depression in sport?

He would have 10,000 clients if he came back..

Genius, Sir.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 11 Apr 2023 20:42

Franconian Royal Who is Karl Robinson? Which team has he managed recently? And why are people all over here an Twatter saying a big no?

Previous Oxford manager - so that's maybe why there's folk on Twitter saying no.

He got them to the play-offs two years in a row (2020 and 2021), narrowly missed out last season following a late dip in form and got sacked in February. They had failed to win in eight at that point (they were tenth before that run), but seemed to do a good job there - especially given there are sides in League One who'll have a much bigger budget than Oxford. Oxford haven't won since they sacked him - three points from five matches - and are now only two points above the relegation zone.

He also got promoted with Milton Keynes in 2015; perhaps under performed with Charlton in League One, but again got sacked after a dip in form which dropped them out of the play-offs.

Might not be the worst shout, regardless of what division we're in next season, tbh.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Apr 2023 21:02

Royal Rother
Crowbar6753 How about Ryan Mason at Spurs!! our scouting guy Brian Carey come from Spurs?

Hmm, decent shout that.

Not sure why the guy who is managing Spurs (currently 5th in the Premier League) would leave to take over Reading (22nd in the Championship).

Maybe if we stay up and if he doesn't get the Spurs job permanently and if the next Spurs manager doesn't like him. But if he does well then he probably won't want to drop a division, and if he doesn't do well... why would we want him?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 11 Apr 2023 21:11

Nathan Jones or Neil Critchley for me. Not sure Jones would take a league one job if we go down though.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2023 21:20

SCIAG
Royal Rother

Hmm, decent shout that.

Not sure why the guy who is managing Spurs (currently 5th in the Premier League) would leave to take over Reading (22nd in the Championship).

Maybe if we stay up and if he doesn't get the Spurs job permanently and if the next Spurs manager doesn't like him. But if he does well then he probably won't want to drop a division, and if he doesn't do well... why would we want him?

I think there’s a few reasons.

He isn’t going to get the Spurs job.

He isn’t going to get any PL job.

Most managers bring in their own coaches so there’s a very real likelihood he won’t be at Spurs next season.

He’s local.

He’s had a taste of management, seems a well liked and respected young coach, who has worked under some unliveable but to names, and it seems reasonable to think he’d be interested in a local Championship club as a career progression. League 1? Maybe not.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 11 Apr 2023 21:27

Got to give Parky a chance.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Apr 2023 21:39

Royal Rother
SCIAG
Royal Rother
Hmm, decent shout that.

I think there’s a few reasons.

He isn’t going to get the Spurs job.

He isn’t going to get any PL job.

Most managers bring in their own coaches so there’s a very real likelihood he won’t be at Spurs next season.

He’s local.

He’s had a taste of management, seems a well liked and respected young coach, who has worked under some unliveable but to names, and it seems reasonable to think he’d be interested in a local Championship club as a career progression. League 1? Maybe not.

I think that's the kind of punt we need to make if we go for an up and coming potential manager

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Apr 2023 21:51

SCIAG
Royal Rother

Hmm, decent shout that.

Hi SCIAG, i thought it was the Italian who was Conte's right hand man currently doing the interim job at Spurs? let's face it, Ryan Mason is never going to get the main job at Spurs anytime soon.
That's what make the Reading job so attractive!! A club in reset mode and a chance to prove yourself and a stepping stone if you like to that dream job in the future, a bit like Michael Carrick at Boro!!!

139 posts